Billy Butler - I Need You

Alamo

All,

I have posted the following track (MP3 & label JPG) in the vain hope that someone can enlighten me about this 45.

This record is not listed anywhere that I can find, it is on a label with no company name and is on vinyl. The B side is 'I Love You'

This is my hunch,

I think this maybe an 'incomplete' work by Billy Butler who has had this 45 pressed somewhere in Chicago with the purpose of trying to perhaps 'sell' this vibe to another recording company. Enter Otis Leaville who has a record by the same title (A & B side) on Dakar but, with similar but different lyrics and tune.

Was it something that Anderson had made for the Belgium market? What year was it made? I dont know, but suffice to say if anyone can help me solve this conundrum, I would really appreciate it. I would love to know who the female vocal is singing with him or indeed is Billy Butler!!!??? Questions, questions, questions!!??

thanks in advance - Al

Billy Butler - I Need You

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

interesting. i can't listen at work, but it doesn't look like a chicago press? looks like a rite press maybe? there were also more than one person named billy butler recording, does it sound like him?

Hi Boba,

It definitely sounds like him. The female vocalist is awesome too! The B side 'I Love You' is totally different and basically 'easy listening' which is odd. I can send you an MP3 of that side too if it helps. The A side is absolutely sensational IMHO and grows the more you play it. Let me know what you think when uve heard it!

Thanks for your reply - Al

Social source share

interesting. i can't listen at work, but it doesn't look like a chicago press? looks like a rite press maybe? there were also more than one person named billy butler recording, does it sound like him?

I can see what you mean about it being a Rite press but was that not Philly based? and if it was Billy Butler, I fancied he would have access to some of the local pressing plants in the South of Chicago hence no particular label unless of course it actually is 'BILLY BUTLER' records (if you get my drift).

Dont you just love all this supposition!!???

Cheers Al

Social source share

I can see what you mean about it being a Rite press but was that not Philly based? and if it was Billy Butler, I fancied he would have access to some of the local pressing plants in the South of Chicago hence no particular label unless of course it actually is 'BILLY BUTLER' records (if you get my drift).

Dont you just love all this supposition!!???

Cheers Al

This is NOT a Rite press. Believe me, I've been studying them for more than 30 years. I was wondering if the number has something to do with the date.

It does resemble a Pama pressing from Cleveland. There's another pressing plant, name escapes me, that looks like this as well. What's in the dead wax?

- George

Social source share

Yeh, I agree with you Dave, you've summed it up in one.

I've always loved both Barbara & The Browns and the James & Bobby versions of this superb piece of Southern Soul (could never really decide which i prefered TBH) but the Billy Butler here is a nice 'raw' take on a classic deepie.

Strange one as it is...

...I want one!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Yeh, I agree with you Dave, you've summed it up in one.

I've always loved both Barbara & The Browns and the James & Bobby versions of this superb piece of Southern Soul (could never really decide which i prefered TBH) but the Billy Butler here is a nice 'raw' take on a classic deepie.

Strange one as it is...

...I want one!

:thumbsup:

Sean

i finally got a chance to listen to the record, it's interesting, i prefer the barbara and the browns version still. definitely not pressed in chicago, i think it's chicago's billy butler but i'm not 100%

Social source share

I'll try and absorb this tomorrow when I get more time. The same track was put out by Barbara & the Browns "I Don't Want To Have To Wait" on Cadet (1966) and also by James & Bobby Purify on Bell. I've put the Youtube vids on here so you can see the labels and possibly gleen any info from them. Would be interesting to hear the flip side and see if that tallies up with any other known track.

Writer is Don Culver as credited on Barbara & The Browns ( Colver error on the Purify)

Great track and I really like this one you have. In fact after a couple of listens I absolutely love it. Just such raw deep soul, superb.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=jaGOeuY9bTU

Wow, this is really interesting. Love both these versions.

My next question is, what date were the above issued (1966 &?) and do you think the 'Billy Butler' version predates these. If so, do you think this is the first version and have you ever seen this label before.

Its also odd that both the above have the same writer credit too.

The deadwax is etched with 10281 a & 10281 b

I wonder why the titles of the above tracks changed from 'I Need You'?

Thankyou so much for this wonderful info! More please

Alan

Edited by Alamo
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't forget Terry Felton's version on Revilot, either (which is a Memphis recording that, from memory, shares a backing track with the Barbara and the Browns version...)

I honestly can't believe how many of you are deluding yourself into thinking this is the Billy Butler. It doesn't sound even slightly like him!

Could just as easily be Billy Bunter to these ears. Yarooh - leggo, beast...

...It;s very nice, though, whoever it is.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Wow, this is really interesting. Love both these versions.

My next question is, what date were the above issued (1966 &?) and do you think the 'Billy Butler' version predates these. If so, do you think this is the first version and have you ever seen this label before.

Its also odd that both the above have the same writer credit too.

The deadwax is etched with 10281 a & 10281 b

I wonder why the titles of the above tracks changed from 'I Need You'?

Thankyou so much for this wonderful info! More please

Alan

Just my opinion so don't take it as gospel. As Don Culver had written other stuff for Barbara & the Browns I'd view it as before the "Billy Butler" track.

Barbara & the Browns (August 1966)

James & Bobby Purify (1967)

Also as Tony Rounce has pointed out there is the Terry Felton cut on Revilot which I believe was 1968

Dates though are release dates and not neccessarily recording dates.

Don't ya just love it when an unknown cut of a classic title comes to light.

With a name like Billy Butler and the fact that the track is so very good I find it hard to believe that this isn't anything other than exceptionally rare piece. Unless exceptionally rare an "unknown" Billy Butler would have been discovered long ago I'd have thought.

The James & Bobby Purify is perhaps the one of the best sound for pennies bargains you could find. No more than a couple of quid for the US Bell, it's the flip to "Let Love Come Between Us". Also on UK Stateside thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I honestly can't believe how many of you are deluding yourself into thinking this is the Billy Butler. It doesn't sound even slightly like him!

Could just as easily be Billy Bunter to these ears. Yarooh - leggo, beast...

I think Mr Rounce may have called this right.

It's probably some dude, with the same name as our hero, doing a cover version on a Private press, hence the title change.

This did happen on occasion so it is likely.

Sean

Social source share

I would say same thing Alan, not the BB we all know and love.

a soundalikey and lookalikey probably thumbup.gif

Anyway Tony says you know everything anyway lol

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that mate. It is very interesting but who is the female vocal!!!??????g.gif

Social source share

I think Mr Rounce may have called this right.

It's probably some dude, with the same name as our hero, doing a cover version on a Private press, hence the title change.

This did happen on occasion so it is likely.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I would think if its some dude with a voice like that, (a) He would have many songs to his credit & (cool.gif he would certainly be recognisable as someone we all know perhaps!?

Also, we are forgetting that the female vocal on the track is equally outstanding and again surely she would be recognisable.

I dont dispute arguments that it may not be THE 'Billy Butler' but why would you bother to have this privately pressed if it had already been released previously by 2/3 other artistes? This is why I think it predates the other copies perhaps and not to mention that the running time on this copy is 3 minutes 20 seconds which is longer than the other versions.

I still feel that if it was a 'raw' copy, any cover would be reduced in length for the commercial Radio Stations and maybe even a title change to prevent breach of copyright perhaps?

Thanks for your imput on this thread by the way, it is very appreciated.

Alan

Social source share

Yep he plays guitar for brother Jerrys band playing in Washington DC for 4 nights from tommorrow

Not sure if the airports open so don't know if we"ll make it but if we do I will ask him for you and show him this thread

Cheers Paul

Nice one Paul! Good Luckthumbup.gif

ATB- Al

Social source share

I suppose we'll both be getting a Seaman Slap laugh.gif

yep you both better start sleeping with 1 eye open !!, you,ll be used to that by now Alan after a weekend sleeping in the same chalet as Tony whistling.gif

as for you Dave i,m going to knee you in the chin thumbup.gif

you going to north wings soul club on sat Dave ??

Ian.

Social source share

Hi Alan, got Billy Butler standing next to me in my hotel room and the refo soul clip wont play !!!

Can you send me an mp3 to my e-mail soon as please ?

address is grandmasterpaco@hotmail.com

Cheers Paul

On its way Paul with a scan of the label!!!

Good luck mate.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Thanks for sending the mp3 Alan

Just played Billy the track and he is sure that it isn't him

He thinks that its Ashford and Simpson maybe moonlighting

Cheers Paul and Billy Butler

Well Ashford & Simpson would certainly fit the bill. Does anyone else think it sound like them?

If so, do we think it predates the other versions or do we think it is after? Any thoughts anyone?

Al

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for sending the mp3 Alan

Just played Billy the track and he is sure that it isn't him

He thinks that its Ashford and Simpson maybe moonlighting

Cheers Paul and Billy Butler

...Jack Ashford and Marge Simpson, presumably...

Sounds as much like Nick and Val as it does Renee and Renato. There is absolutely no reason on God's earth why two New York songwriters - songwriters who were at their most prolific in the mid 60s when (presumably) this was recorded - would record a poor quality version of a song by a Memphis-based writer. To even speculate that it might be them on this site defies all logic.

With the greatest of respect to Billy, I can onlly assume he's never actually heard A&S sing, if he thinks it's them!!!!!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Sounds as much like Nick and Val as it does Renee and Renato. There is absolutely no reason on God's earth why two New York songwriters - songwriters who were at their most prolific in the mid 60s when (presumably) this was recorded - would record a poor quality version of a song by a Memphis-based writer. To even speculate that it might be them on this site defies all logic.

With the greatest of respect to Billy, I can onlly assume he's never actually heard A&S sing, if he thinks it's them!!!!!

I went and dug out some of A&S 60's stuff last night to re-listen as I couldn't hear it, thought it was just my uneducated ears, but could hear no reason for that assumption. Interesting one!

Social source share

Just my opinion so don't take it as gospel. As Don Culver had written other stuff for Barbara & the Browns I'd view it as before the "Billy Butler" track.

Barbara & the Browns (August 1966)

James & Bobby Purify (1967)

Also as Tony Rounce has pointed out there is the Terry Felton cut on Revilot which I believe was 1968

Dates though are release dates and not neccessarily recording dates.

Don't ya just love it when an unknown cut of a classic title comes to light.

With a name like Billy Butler and the fact that the track is so very good I find it hard to believe that this isn't anything other than exceptionally rare piece. Unless exceptionally rare an "unknown" Billy Butler would have been discovered long ago I'd have thought.

The James & Bobby Purify is perhaps the one of the best sound for pennies bargains you could find. No more than a couple of quid for the US Bell, it's the flip to "Let Love Come Between Us". Also on UK Stateside thumbsup.gif

The Babs and the Browns is definitely the first recording of this track - Don Culver was a staff writer at XL Records in the mid sixties who recorded all of Barbara's post Stax Recordings. The recording dates are, I think, explained in the Kent Compilation of her work which I put together a couple of years ago and which if you haven't got is well worth getting your hands on.

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7480

Dean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The Babs and the Browns is definitely the first recording of this track - Don Culver was a staff writer at XL Records in the mid sixties who recorded all of Barbara's post Stax Recordings. The recording dates are, I think, explained in the Kent Compilation of her work which I put together a couple of years ago and which if you haven't got is well worth getting your hands on.

https://www.acerecord...59&release=7480

Dean

Dean, thanks for that. I suspected as such with the fact that Don Culver had written other stuff for Barbara Brown. I'm in the process of gradually obtaining much of the Ace/Kent compilations of southern and deep soul related material and this is on my list of future purchases.

Just took a listen to the samples and it sounds excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000PATZQU/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Hi Tony/All,

You've obviously got a very educated ear so, as you seem to recognise who it isn't, who do you think it mite possibly be? Im enjoying the debate but in all seriosness the voices IMO are wondefully soulful and cant believe no one has come up with an answer, especially as everyone seems to be so knowledgeable about this particular deep soul field.

I dont deny that I havn't got a clue, hence the thread, but I was rather hoping someone would put a name or both to this cover.?

tumbleweed3.gif

ATB - Al

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony/All,

You've obviously got a very educated ear so, as you seem to recognise who it isn't, who do you think it mite possibly be? Im enjoying the debate but in all seriosness the voices IMO are wondefully soulful and cant believe no one has come up with an answer, especially as everyone seems to be so knowledgeable about this particular deep soul field.

I dont deny that I havn't got a clue, hence the thread, but I was rather hoping someone would put a name or both to this cover.?

tumbleweed3.gif

ATB - Al

Hi Al,

My guess would be that it's some obscure bloke who just happens to be called Billy Butler. There's probably no more to it than that - it's hardly an uncommon name after all, and I certainly don't think it's an alias for anyone better known. I can think of two more Billy Butler's off the top of my head who it also isn't - the guitarist who played with Bill Doggett's band in the 50s and the veteran Liverpool DJ.

I don't think that the voices are particuarly strong, either - in fact it's the weakest of the four versions of this song, by some considerable distance too. I've got the other three versions, and I'm mighty glad to have them, but I wouldn't personally rush to make it four out of four if I was offered a copy...

Best,

TONE

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hi Tony/All,

tumbleweed3.gif

ATB - Al

Al, just a stab in the dark. Maybe not him but there was a Huey (Billy) Butler who always prfered to be called Billy in the original line up of Archie Bell & The Drells.

Social source share

All,

Thanks for all your input on this 45 which has been very interesting and enjoyable. I cant believe that after all the 'toing' & 'throwing' there is no conclusion to such an amazing piece of deep soul IMHO (its only coz im disappointed really6.gif , and no its not because I hoped it was worth a small fortune for any synics amongst you!)

I suppose it will have to go down as a defeat for the 'anoraks' on this occasion but I live in hope that the true identity of the artistes comes to light one day. Would be a real shame for this not to get some identity recognition rather than sadly end up on the soul death pile as 'unknown' sad.gif

Thankyou all once again for your input and your time. I live in hope.

Al

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Speaking as one who has always put quality before exclusivity and who has never bought into the idea that something its good just because its rare, I'm standing by my opinion.

If I had found this 45 in a shop, I probably would have played it and put it back. If someone ever offered it to me for free, I would probably decline the offer. I would have no more interest in it than I currently do (which is none) if the artist was eventually revealed to be one of my favourite singers . I've got enough great records in my collection, that I never get a chance to play, not to lose any sleep worrying about not owning this one. And I don't think I'll be eating humble pie on its account any time soon...

TONY

BTW I've never called myself an anorak. In fact I've never owned an anorak. I'm more of a parka man myself.

Social source share

What a contradiction in termsg.gif

P. S - I didn't mean 'anorak' to offend anyone so apologies if it was taken in the wrong context. I actually applaud yours and others knowledge on soul music. As I said, I was a little disaapointed we didn't get to a full conclusion.

Al

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

For what it's worth, and anyone can slag me off if they wish as I've been in the pub and really don't give a sh-t. :laugh:

I think its a good piece of deep soul, not a great piece but not a bad piece either. I take it on its own merit and not comparing it to Barbara & the Browns or James & Bobby Purify which were obviously recorded with a higher budget.

To me it typify's what much of very low budget black music was all about with that minimalistic recorded in a basement or garage sound.

If it was rare or common as shite I'd still like it sitting in my box next to Babs and the Purifys.

I like it a lot, just the kinda sound I get off on.

Social source share

So from the horses mouth (so to speak ) deffinately not Billy Butler..........he told me himself

I was standing next to him 'onest guv :thumbup:

But he also said that he may have played on the track.................., he can"t remember all the tracks he"s played on (not surprisingly)

For instance I bought the Sharon Ridley "71 Sussex LP while I was in DC and although he was credited on the LP sleeve he had no idea of the LP or Sharon Ridley

Sooooo........... I reckon its a demo track with Billys name on for the hell of it (cos he may have played on it)

Don't ask me why its not just another acetate for the artists to "sing off" ............I have no idea

Just My theory

Cheers Paul

PS Tony, Billy was pretty convinced it was A& S .................but I"m not gonna argue with your ears :lol:

Social source share

Billy checks out soul sourcepost-2721-12664260684319_thumb.jpg

Mr Shrews & our heropost-2721-1266425935899_thumb.jpg

Harry van Vliet, Mr Shrews and Billy Butlerpost-2721-12664259820892_thumb.jpg

Harry van Vliet (www.fingerpoppinsoul.nl ), Mr Shrews and Billy Butlerpost-2721-12664260215729_thumb.jpg

Photos taken Feb 2010 By Mrs Shrews

Laptop courtesy of Mattie Butler

Cheers Paul

WOWhatsoff2.gif !!!! Hats off to you Paul!!

Social source share

So from the horses mouth (so to speak ) deffinately not Billy Butler..........he told me himself

I was standing next to him 'onest guv yes.gif

But he also said that he may have played on the track.................., he can"t remember all the tracks he"s played on (not surprisingly)

For instance I bought the Sharon Ridley "71 Sussex LP while I was in DC and although he was credited on the LP sleeve he had no idea of the LP or Sharon Ridley

Sooooo........... I reckon its a demo track with Billys name on for the hell of it (cos he may have played on it)

Don't ask me why its not just another acetate for the artists to "sing off" ............I have no idea

Just My theory

Cheers Paul

PS Tony, Billy was pretty convinced it was A& S .................but I"m not gonna argue with your ears no.gif

Well Paul, Ive got to say this has to be the most fascinating piece of research on SS for a long time. Are we really in a position to argue with Billy Butler, considering the people he has sung next too etc etc etc. I think I would trust his ears 100% or at least give him some respectful credit for making an honest assumption of who he thinks it is!!

Nice one again Paul - Top man

Al

Social source share

For what it's worth, and anyone can slag me off if they wish as I've been in the pub and really don't give a sh-t. laugh.gif

I think its a good piece of deep soul, not a great piece but not a bad piece either. I take it on its own merit and not comparing it to Barbara & the Browns or James & Bobby Purify which were obviously recorded with a higher budget.

To me it typify's what much of very low budget black music was all about with that minimalistic recorded in a basement or garage sound.

If it was rare or common as shite I'd still like it sitting in my box next to Babs and the Purifys.

I like it a lot, just the kinda sound I get off on.

Hear Hear bud. Well im glad you like it. Me too, I think its a raw production of hearfelt harmony sung beautifully by 2 'UNKNOWN' singers who get my vote as well.

For the record, I couldn't give a monkeys cuss about it value because im not one of those egotistical collectors who buys a slab of vinyl because of its value. If I like wots betwixt the grooves, thats all I care about.

Once again, I applaud everyones contributuion to an enthralling debate and hope one day someone definitively comes up with the answer.

ATB - Soul4ever Al

Social source share

Billy checks out soul sourcepost-2721-12664260684319_thumb.jpg

Mr Shrews & our heropost-2721-1266425935899_thumb.jpg

Harry van Vliet, Mr Shrews and Billy Butlerpost-2721-12664259820892_thumb.jpg

Harry van Vliet (www.fingerpoppinsoul.nl ), Mr Shrews and Billy Butlerpost-2721-12664260215729_thumb.jpg

Photos taken Feb 2010 By Mrs Shrews

Laptop courtesy of Mattie Butler

Cheers Paul

cool photos, thanks for posting

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert