Soul Acts We Underrate

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Spurred on by what I thought was a rather unnecessary and maybe even ill-considered jibe by my good pal Mr. Lalor elsewhere on the site, I thought I'd throw this open to the board...

Why do some of us tend to give short shrift to several major soul acts of the 70s , just because they had the audacity to have a few UK Top 20 hits?

Chris had a little dig at the Stylistics - to my mind one of the greatest sweet soul groups of all time, thanks to the many sublime records they made with Thom Bell (and I'm not including 'Rockin' Roll Baby' among them) between 1972 and 1974. Their first record "You're A Big Girl Now" would belong in the Group Soul Hall Of Fame, if such a thing existed. As representatives of 'Golden Era' Philly Soul, the're as important as the O'Jays, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and any other act that you can think of. Sure they made their fair share of cack in the mid 70s after they stopped working with Thom and started working with Hugo & Luigi, but their first two albums and the songs they contain are beyond reproach.

The Chi-Lites tend to be ignored by many for the same reason, but group soul records don't get any better (or sadder) than "Have You Seen Her", "A Letter To Myself" and, especially, "I Never Had It So Good (And Felt So Bad)".

So why do many who should know better - both on here and elsewhere - dismiss the likes of the Stylistics and the Chi-Lites out of hand? ("Because they're Sh*t" is not the right answer, BTW...)

And which other artists can you think of in the same 'category', who shouldn't be?

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tony,

I agree with the Sylistics comment, their earlier stuff was fantastic along with some of their later stuff on TSOP.

I've always loved the Trammps, ignoring their Golden Fleece LP, their buddah stuff is great and I just love "The Night The Lights Went Out" on Atlantic

More in the Disco Soul vein as well with Double Exposure.....

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Spurred on by what I thought was a rather unnecessary and maybe even ill-considered jibe by my good pal Mr. Lalor elsewhere on the site, I thought I'd throw this open to the board...

Why do some of us tend to give short shrift to several major soul acts of the 70s , just because they had the audacity to have a few UK Top 20 hits?

Chris had a little dig at the Stylistics - to my mind one of the greatest sweet soul groups of all time, thanks to the many sublime records they made with Thom Bell (and I'm not including 'Rockin' Roll Baby' among them) between 1972 and 1974. Their first record "You're A Big Girl Now" would belong in the Group Soul Hall Of Fame, if such a thing existed. As representatives of 'Golden Era' Philly Soul, the're as important as the O'Jays, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and any other act that you can think of. Sure they made their fair share of cack in the mid 70s after they stopped working with Thom and started working with Hugo & Luigi, but their first two albums and the songs they contain are beyond reproach.

The Chi-Lites tend to be ignored by many for the same reason, but group soul records don't get any better (or sadder) than "Have You Seen Her", "A Letter To Myself" and, especially, "I Never Had It So Good (And Felt So Bad)".

So why do many who should know better - both on here and elsewhere - dismiss the likes of the Stylistics and the Chi-Lites out of hand? ("Because they're Sh*t" is not the right answer, BTW...)

And which other artists can you think of in the same 'category', who shouldn't be?

Great post Tony, and spot on about both groups, although how can anybody have anything bad to say about the Chi Lites, hits or not.

Social source share

Guest Tarnlad

Agree with you Tony, allways had a soft spot for both these groups. I,m sure they started the Soul journey for many of us in the early 70,s. Think the Detroit Spinners could be put in this bracket also, they had one or two chart hits, but still made some superb music.hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

In respect of The Stylistics , they were one of the best acts I ever seen live ( I refer to their appearance at The Torch in 1972 ) - a sentiment shown by others who were also there at the time .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I love 'Point Of No Return' but I'd rather have 'Mary From The Dairy' then the other hits. They are just so far behind the Spinners, Delfonics, Blue Notes, Detroit Emeralds and O'Jays from that time that they don't get much of a look in.

I agree about Eddie Floyd, he's probably too amenable and willing to be a "star".

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

In respect of The Stylistics , they were one of the best acts I ever seen live ( I refer to their appearance at The Torch in 1972 ) - a sentiment shown by others who were also there at the time .

Malc Burton

...Saw 'em in a Bailey's down south on what must have been the same tour, Malc. Couldn't agree more. The only other groups that I saw in the same period who even came close to that level of perfection were the Spinners and the Chi-Lites. And actually I'd have to say that the Stylistics were better than either/both.

Good calls on Eddie Floyd and especially Arthur Conley, chaps. Keep 'em coming...

Social source share

Arthur Conley had quite a variable output. He recorded quite a few records where he clearly couldn't care less, but at his best he was capable of true greatness. "Put Our Love Together" and "I'm A Lonely Stranger" are two of the finest soul performances of all time in my book. Even relatively minor album tracks such as "Is That You Love?" are fantastic and I maintain that his is the greatest cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come."

Social source share

Even relatively minor album tracks such as "Is That You Love?" are fantastic and I maintain that his is the greatest cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come."

Ah! Pitches monster "Put Our Love Together" and the heavyweight "Lonely Stranger" are classics... but rarely see mention of "Is That You Love" a personal fave.

Wonderful stuff.

Have it on 45 too, Gareth.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Couldn't agree more Tony. Both the above are great examples. Just because a few U.S. acts had the audacity to actually sell a few records in the U.K. they shouldn't be frowned upon. Even the acts who came over here to record are worthy of mention - co-incidentally I've been playing your Johnny Johnson album this week and I love some of the stuff he recorded here! "Sweet Inspiration" would have been a huge record if not for the fact it was a hit but I also generally like the rest of the stuff. His voice is just awesome.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Arthur Conley had quite a variable output. He recorded quite a few records where he clearly couldn't care less, but at his best he was capable of true greatness. "Put Our Love Together" and "I'm A Lonely Stranger" are two of the finest soul performances of all time in my book. Even relatively minor album tracks such as "Is That You Love?" are fantastic and I maintain that his is the greatest cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come."

When I worked at Record Corner in the late 60s/early 70s we used to stockpile copies of "Is That You Love" from wherever we could get them. Not a Saturday went by without us getting at least three or four people (Africans, mostly, but a lot of Jamaicans too) coming in looking for a copy. I even used to look in second hand shops for copies, the turnaround on them was immediate...

Other records that fit this thread that we must have sold hundreds, possibly even thousands of, over a period of time to the same demographic, were Eddie Floyd's two phenomenal B-sides "Girl I Love You" and "Consider Me"...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Hi Tony,

I purchased the Stylistics debut album back 1n 1971 and with tracks like- You're A Big Girl Now, Point Of No Return,Stop,Look & Listen, You Are Everything and Betcha By Golly Wow, I was taken back by the quality of the group and followed them for years, witnessing a great show at Manchester about 1976.

A year letter having got the Chi-Lites-Have You Seen Her single, I bought the A Lonely Man album which contained the fantastic The Coldest Days Of My Life track as well as Oh Girl, Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man, Inner City Blues and A Lonely Man ( A lot like Have You Seen Her). I saw this great group at the Nottingham Palais supported by Sweet Sensation (Remember them ?) who were quite good although not in the same league as Eugene Record & Co.

Why people dismiss these is beyond me, because beneath the hits and covered hits which always seem to crop up at this romantic ? time of year, are other class soul records some of which I have already mentioned.

Whether Earth, Wind & Fire come under this category I do not Know, But their albums That's The Way Of The World and Gratitude spawned some brilliant tracks-Sing A Song, Devotion, Reasons, That's The Way Of The World and Shining Star to name some and I was not put off once they achieved commercial success.

Steve

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Always liked the Tavares myself the Hard Core Poetry Album is still a often played long player at my abode.

WENT TO SEE THE TAVARES IN MANCHESTER IN 77 NOT LONG AFTER SEEING MY ALL TIME HEROE MARVIN GAYE, AND HAVE GOT TO SAY THEY WERE MAGNIFICENT.

THE VOCALS SOUNDED LIKE THE RECORDINGS AND DANCE STEPS WERE SUPERB.

I WOULD ALSO CHAMPION THE TYMES. THEIR PEDIGREEWAS WELL KNOWN WELL BEFORE "MISS GRACE" WITH THE ICONIC WHEEL BIGGIE HERE SHE COMES AND THE GREAT STANDARD "PEOPLE"

Social source share

agree with the Stylistics and the brilliant Tramps partiuclary their incredible lps -others what spring to mind are the Delphonics which are without a doubt the sweetest group of all imho -also the Intruders -just simply mindblowing !When i think about this logically the person who has the most in terms of undervalued incredible records is bloody Edwin Starr-how many times when he was alive did we gasp "oh not Edwin again"just play Harlem or I have faith in you and weep at the genius,his stuff on granite also-never off the decks in my house!!

Who else well alot of the philly-int -taken for granted by many -radio 2 played me and mrs jones the other day,I swear this record has the lot imho-as does satisfaction quarenteed -harold melvin.I absolutely agree on Arthur Conley "put our love together "is a masterpeice recording catching the essence of the early seventies sound-also how many take for granted Wilson Pickett -if you want a lesson in deep soul play search my heart -it has the lot-i think some artistes can get painted with a few hits and we can take the other stuff for granted-Wilson is a fine example of this!!

How many stax records charted? perhaps every artiste on this definitive logo gets taken for granted particulary the awesome Soul Children -move over -is in my all time top 5.Candi Staton is another "try -you dont love me no more for size -mindblowing,an artiste who had a massive chart hit then really judged on the basis of that.

In many ways most of the motown stuff is taken for granted in some form or another take the Commodores -play the human zoo -it is a fantastic record -so progressive for the time as was Marvin Gaye "trouble man",how many people would really search Marvins catalogue out?how many for instance know about tracks like "you",a classic example again of fame blighting peoples perception of quality!

JAMES BROWN -took the northern crowd an eon to latch onto people wake up and live -etc,well hes just funk aint he [bollocks]check out georgia on my mind -again a miracle in the making!!And dont listen to the soul-stirrers lol-what have there got to offer "I supose it goes on and on!!

My view on this is that the obscure argument has dulled alot of senses for so long -alot of the records that charted did so simply because there were brillaint -and alot of the input of most artists after their chart sucess in many ways even got better!!!

BAZ A.

CURTIS MAYFIELD -MOVE ON UP "AH SHITE "WELL HE AINT DONE NOWT HAS HE-JUST PARHAPS THE GREATEST GENUIS OF ALL-CHECK OUT MOST OF HIS CURTOM STUFF WHICH LUCKILY IS NOW IN REFO-SOUL -TRUE MASTER IN ALL HIS GLORY!!

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

As ever Baz right on the money mate. All of the stuff you've mentioned as well as Dramatics ' In the rain' still knocks me out when i hear it. Eddie Kendricks ' Each day i cry little' Edwin Starr ' I'll never forget you' on granite and as you say ' I have faith in you' as the late Pete Lawson used to say 'imagine you'd heard this for the first time.

Wilson Pickett - toe hold, what a record that is and his version of Thomas Bailey'I wish i was back' edges it for me too.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Barry White for me....seen him live....Brilliant!! thumbsup.gif

SAT NEXT BUT ONE TO THE GREAT MAN AT L.A.X AIRPORT AND WAS TOO IN AWE TO SAY ANYTHING TO HIM. HE WAS FLYING TO LONDON 1985. GOD I WAS GUTTED LATER , WOULD HAVE MENTIONED HIS EARLY WORK , BRONCO E.T.C. WAS OFF THE SCENE IN THOSE DAYS AND BUSSED FROM NEW YORK TO L.A STOPPING OVER IN LOADS OF PLACES AND DIDN'T GO IN ONE RECORD STORE!!!!!!

:wanker::wanker::wanker:

Social source share

----------

Wasn't most of their stuff written by Eugene Record / Barbara Acklin? I always like the flip to their 'Oh Girl' release - 'Being in Love', Liza my wife likes 'Oh Girl', I cant stand it...

One group from the seventies I have really switched onto recently is Tower of Power and their Warner sides, lots a goodies to collect there.. and all cheap Cheap Cheap!!

Mal.C.:thumbup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Trammps and Stylistics i always are great but one band i always find getting over looked is The Real Thing. People say they are disco or pop and go on about You To Me Are Everything

But to me of the best soul acts and i love to collect there music, have most of there albums and some American issues

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wilson Pickett - toe hold, what a record that is and his version of Thomas Bailey'I wish i was back' edges it for me too.

Pickett is agan the perfect example, Mark. "Covering The Same Old Ground", "She Said Yes", the apocalyptic last minute or so of "Cole, Cooke and Redding", "Days Gone By", "People Make The World", "I'm Not Tired", "Mojo Mamma", "Im In Love", "Mr. Magic Man", "How Will I Ever Know", "That's A Man's Way", "Three Time Loser", "Danger Zone", "99 1/2 Won't Do", "Jealous Love" - all far too easily overlooked in the rush to pour scorn on "Land Of 1000 Dances" and/or "Mustang Sally"...

A true titan of our music in every respect

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

In many ways most of the motown stuff is taken for granted in some form or another take the Commodores -play the human zoo -it is a fantastic record -so progressive for the time

"Just To Be Close To You", "Sweet Love", "This Is Your Life" - all truly amazing and incredibly soulful records that many people won't even have tried to listen to because of a (perhaps understandable) aversion to "Three Times A Lady".

Likewise whoever said earlier that Earth, Wind and Fire belong in this category is 100% on the money. Things like "Evil", "Keep Your Head To The Sky" and "Reasons" are sublime beyond words.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Pickett is agan the perfect example, Mark. "Covering The Same Old Ground", "She Said Yes", the apocalyptic last minute or so of "Cole, Cooke and Redding", "Days Gone By", "People Make The World", "I'm Not Tired", "Mojo Mamma", "Im In Love", "Mr. Magic Man", "How Will I Ever Know", "That's A Man's Way", "Three Time Loser", "Danger Zone", "99 1/2 Won't Do", "Jealous Love" - all far too easily overlooked in the rush to pour scorn on "Land Of 1000 Dances" and/or "Mustang Sally"...

A true titan of our music in every respect

Lots of good shouts from everybody. Pickett at Fame or American is my idea of soul heaven: it really never got any better than that; the most complete singer with the greatest musicians playing some of the finest songs ever written in the genre. "I've Come A Long Way", "It's A Groove", "I'm Sorry About That", "Trust Me" and many more.

"Land Of A Thousand Dances" itself is probably the single greatest cover version of any song put down on tape. Suspend all the baggage that goes with the artist being a household name, imagine yourself hearing it for the first time and revel in the sheer intensity of the music: simply mid-blowing and a testimony to the pioneering spirit of the times that something so primal and almost avant-garde in its intentions and execution could sell millions of copies around the world. I sometimes ask myself if it ever really happened.

Social source share

I have always loved The Chi-Lites,

but cannot stand The Style Sticks, that falsetto of Russell Thompkins just sets my teeth on edge.

Tony

Same here.

The ChiLites are one f the greatest groups of the seventies. Oh Girl is a personal favorite.

I think it's pretty normal for the northern scene to overlook artists with hits. I mean, we might like them (I certainly do) but it's hard to imagin them being played at a Northern venue:

Bobby Womack

Al Green

The Dramatics (70s era, I'm not sure if they're the same Detroit group from the 60s)

etc

Social source share

"Talking About Freedom" by Fontella Bass on Paula is a wonderful record which bears comparison with any heavy soul ballad by other, more revered singers. A lot of her catalogue is also very good indeed.

For me she's unfairly associated only with "Rescue Me". A classic record but one which has unfortunately been hammered to death from forty years of abuse as incidental music in cheap television and advertising.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Land Of A Thousand Dances" itself is probably the single greatest cover version of any song put down on tape. Suspend all the baggage that goes with the artist being a household name, imagine yourself hearing it for the first time and revel in the sheer intensity of the music: simply mid-blowing and a testimony to the pioneering spirit of the times that something so primal and almost avant-garde in its intentions and execution could sell millions of copies around the world. I sometimes ask myself if it ever really happened.

It's a phenomenal record, Gareth, I would no more pour scorn on it myself than I would any of the other Pickett gems that we've mentioned between us...

"You Know I Feel Alright? Hah!

Feel Pretty Good, Y'all - Unhhhh!!!"

Social source share

Same here.

The ChiLites are one f the greatest groups of the seventies. Oh Girl is a personal favorite.

I think it's pretty normal for the northern scene to overlook artists with hits. I mean, we might like them (I certainly do) but it's hard to imagin them being played at a Northern venue:

Bobby Womack

Al Green

The Dramatics (70s era, I'm not sure if they're the same Detroit group from the 60s)

etc

The Dramatics were the same group, and I had bought Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get and In The Rain before ever hearing Inky Winky Wang Dang Do.

I, like a number of the older people on here would be subscribing to Blues & Soul by 1970, and as well watching the rare soul scene develop, was also buying new releases having read reviews in the magazine.

As well as the Dramatics, others that spring to mind in the early 70's that I bought include:

Luther Ingram-If Loving You Is Wrong

Chi-Lites- Give More Power To The People

Millie Jackson - Ask Me What You Want

Stylistics- Stop,Look & Listen

Al Wilson- Show & Tell

Skylark-Wildflower

Main Ingredient - Everybody Play's The Fool

Bloodstone - Natural High

Bobby Womack- Harry Hippie

Tower Of Power- So Very Hard To Go

Harold Melvin - I Miss You

Invictus and Hot Wax releases- Honey Cone,Chairmen,8th Day and Freda Payne etc.

With the exception of Skylark, who I cannot remember anything about, I have continued collecting other material by these artists plus many other 70's ones before, during and after the Blackpool, Wigan and Cleethorpe's Northern days, so rather than be dismissive, or overlook some of these artists who went on to major chart success, I consider myself lucky to be able to listen to such a fantastic array of music talent, and also be part of the Northern/Modern scene ( Although less frequent than the 70's).

Steve

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

The Dramatics were the same group, and I had bought Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get and In The Rain before ever hearing Inky Winky Wang Dang Do.

I, like a number of the older people on here would be subscribing to Blues & Soul by 1970, and as well watching the rare soul scene develop, was also buying new releases having read reviews in the magazine.

As well as the Dramatics, others that spring to mind in the early 70's that I bought include:

Luther Ingram-If Loving You Is Wrong

Chi-Lites- Give More Power To The People

Millie Jackson - Ask Me What You Want

Stylistics- Stop,Look & Listen

Al Wilson- Show & Tell

Skylark-Wildflower

Main Ingredient - Everybody Play's The Fool

Bloodstone - Natural High

Bobby Womack- Harry Hippie

Tower Of Power- So Very Hard To Go

Harold Melvin - I Miss You

Invictus and Hot Wax releases- Honey Cone,Chairmen,8th Day and Freda Payne etc.

With the exception of Skylark, who I cannot remember anything about, I have continued collecting other material by these artists plus many other 70's ones before, during and after the Blackpool, Wigan and Cleethorpe's Northern days, so rather than be dismissive, or overlook some of these artists who went on to major chart success, I consider myself lucky to be able to listen to such a fantastic array of music talent, and also be part of the Northern/Modern scene ( Although less frequent than the 70's).

Steve

IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG LUTHER INGRAM SOLD OVER 1 MILLION COPIES ON IMPORT, AN AMAZING FEAT, AS IT NEVER GOT A BRITISH RELEASE. GREAT VERSIONS ALSO BY MILLIE JACKSON AND ISSAC HAYES

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I'm not into the sweet side myself but as for the group theme how about the soul children. All top class stuff and overlooked a wee bit.

IN THE RAIN.........MAJESTIC

Social source share

I too have a problem with the Stylistics. I just found them saccharine and contrived. Stoned In Love With You used to have me reach for the hammer and when they topped the charts with 'I Can't Give You Anything But My Love', my brother in law, who'd seen all the major 60s Soul acts at the Boston Gliderdrome, muttered something about Soul Music going down the gurgler. Looking back I can say I quite liked The Intruders, O'Jays, Harold Melvin, Billy Paul and most of the other Philly acts, but couldn't stomach this lot. Saccharone Soul I'd call it.

Social source share

IN THE RAIN.........MAJESTIC

Checking it looks as though they done 8 LP's. Don't know if that's right but even so what a body of work.think I've got 4 vinyl and a double cd. I'm going to dig them out tmrow.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert