Moon Shot Records

Guest Ferrett

Guest Ferrett

Recently picked up a couple of nice tunes on Moon Shot records. Probably one of the nicest looking labels around!! (blue and yellow with a picture of a moon rocket).

Has anyone got any info on the label?

Judging by the records I have, I'm assuming it was in operation in the late 60's (68-69) and label name is some kind of tribute to the moon landings. As the Vontastics turned up on this label, I'm assuming it was Chicago based?

Full label listing would be really appreciated if anyone has one. About 12 releases in total????

Ta

Neil.

Edited by Ferrett
Social source share

Guest six toe

This is what i got from the R+b indies:

MOONSHOT RECORDS,Philadelphia,pa

1965-1968.

6701 The dippers - honey bunch pt1/pt2

6702 The Vontastics - lady love/when my baby comes back home.

6703 The Delfonics - He dont really love you/without you.

6705 Virgil Blanding - Birth of a man/little girl there's going to be trouble

6706 The Subway riders - adam/after the session

6707 Sub dominants - Anyone can do it/bang bang

6708 Jimmie Raye - that'll get it/its written all over your face

6710 Cliff nobles - little claudie/pony the horse

6711 landy - mama dear/doctor good soul

6712 Tony fox - Say what you mean,mean what you say/powerful love

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Cheers mate, thats REALLY useful thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

6709 anyone?

I assume Virgil Blanding is Gil Blanding of 'Rules' fame (aka Virgil Henry)?

Neil.

I have a feeling that the missing 6709 was a planned release for Tony Fox' "E.S.P."/"Because", which ended up on Mayfield 7714 (both labels were distributed by Calla, itself distributed by Roulette). I don't have the Mayfield 45 to hand, but I'm sure that at least one side has the Moon Shot number scratched out in the dead wax.

Of course, I could have imagined all this and it could be complete tosh. But as soon as I saw that missing number, this 'info' flashed into my noggin, so there's probably some truth in it somewhere.

BTW not wanting to contradict the R & B Indies but didn't all of these Moon Shot singles come out in 1967 or possibly early 68 in the case of some of the later ones. The 67 in the catalogue number would seem to give this away, and the Del Fonics (as they're shown on the first pressing of the 45) single definitely came out in 1967. As, I think, did "Lady Love". If the label started in '65 you have to wonder what the owners did with the first two years of its existence, don't you?

Social source share

Absolute classic Northern Soul...superb...anthem-like...love it good.gif

:lol: Agree...Just got it out & played it again...better suited to today's tempo now too!

I notice there is one on Pete Smith's list at the moment...well worth £25 of anyones money :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

thumbsup.gif ,love this tune.Mine's a bit how shall we say...VG+.Are they all like this?.Wonder if Neil has crossed this off the list?:D

Got 6702, 6708 and 6711 so far. Any others recommended?

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

Neil.

Social source share

#6706 as ATS is the straight (and best) instrumental take of the infamous backing track to 'Moonlight, music and you' and its many forms.

Beware though as some copies are mis-pressed.

hatsoff2.gif

Quite right , I got caught out with that .If you get the wrong one its an insult to the re-cycle bin

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Got 6702, 6708 and 6711 so far. Any others recommended?

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

Neil.

I love and and collect the label

I can vote for 6703..kinda remake to their first outing "You`ve Been Untrue" on Cameo Parkway (which I also love big time). This groups talent and output right from the start really is amazing.

6707 is a latin-esque instrumental that saw some recent atcion on R&B decks. Nth too special though IMVHO.

Saw 6706 getting some action on UK Rare Soul decks in recent times but havent heard it so I cant comment on this as its the one thats still missing in my home..

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

#6706 as ATS is the straight (and best) instrumental take of the infamous backing track to 'Moonlight, music and you' and its many forms.

Beware though as some copies are mis-pressed.

thumbsup.gif

Would the mis-press be the one that has all the talking all the way through and the music very quietly in the background ??

And is the music on that, the backing track to " Only your Love can save Me"??

Or am I completely puddled....??

Social source share

"Landy" was Landy McNeil.  Definitely a Philly label.  I wonder how The Vontastics got on it.  No other relation to Chicago.  Definitely not in operation in 1965.  Very late 1966 for The Dippers MIGHT be a possibility. But 1967 sounds right.

Social source share

I have a feeling that the missing 6709 was a planned release for Tony Fox' "E.S.P."/"Because", which ended up on Mayfield 7714 (both labels were distributed by Calla, itself distributed by Roulette). I don't have the Mayfield 45 to hand, but I'm sure that at least one side has the Moon Shot number scratched out in the dead wax.

Of course, I could have imagined all this and it could be complete tosh. But as soon as I saw that missing number, this 'info' flashed into my noggin, so there's probably some truth in it somewhere.

BTW not wanting to contradict the R & B Indies but didn't all of these Moon Shot singles come out in 1967 or possibly early 68 in the case of some of the later ones. The 67 in the catalogue number would seem to give this away, and the Del Fonics (as they're shown on the first pressing of the 45) single definitely came out in 1967. As, I think, did "Lady Love". If the label started in '65 you have to wonder what the owners did with the first two years of its existence, don't you?

Hi Tony

I thought Mayfield 7714 is the Fascinations - Girls are out.....  did you mean 7713 because I don't know what that is

Dazz

Edited by Dazz
Social source share

Would the mis-press be the one that has all the talking all the way through and the music very quietly in the background ??

And is the music on that, the backing track to " Only your Love can save Me"??

Or am I completely puddled....??

No your hearing is spot on

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!