Northern Soul And

Drew3

........ Bill Oddie mentioned in the same sentence on Sounds of the Sixties this morning. :unsure:

Apparently the record played was a favourite in soul clubs in the 60's according to our Brian.

The record was pretty average in my opinion sounding very much like a Gene Pitney track.

Anyone got the record (I can't remeber what it was called) and more to the point has anyone on here ever heard it played anywhere?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

........ Bill Oddie mentioned in the same sentence on Sounds of the Sixties this morning. unsure.gif

Apparently the record played was a favourite in soul clubs in the 60's according to our Brian.

The record was pretty average in my opinion sounding very much like a Gene Pitney track.

Anyone got the record (I can't remeber what it was called) and more to the point has anyone on here ever heard it played anywhere?

KTF.

Drew.

I think this might be the track,,,,

Certainly not my idea of Northern Soul, although I've heard worse........

Social source share

If anyone can dig it out he is mentioned in a Frank Elson column in Blues and Soul, I seem to remember frank says Bill was a member at the Catacombs !!And well into the music at that time!

It may have been in response to someone moaning about THAT line in Black Puddin' Bertha laugh.giflaugh.gif

Maybe Frank had a go, but I distinctly remember the great Dave Godin delivering a stern rebuke in his inimitable style, which included a stinging condemnation of the song's regional stereotyping of working class northerners!

Social source share

The track in question is on an Ace CD "Songs From The Dog & Duck", a fictitious pub jukebox, compiled by St Etienne member Bob Stanley, in his sleeve-notes he says

. "Trumping all of these though, is Bill Oddie's 'I Can't Get Through'. Prior to his days as a twitcher, and before he cut various breakbeat-laden tracks with the Goodies, he recorded this classy, big city soul-alike for Parlophone in 1966." I'm not sure where they get Northern Soul from though Herbert Hunter is on there, it's a mad CD.

Social source share

The track in question is on an Ace CD "Songs From The Dog & Duck", a fictitious pub jukebox, compiled by St Etienne member Bob Stanley, in his sleeve-notes he says

. "Trumping all of these though, is Bill Oddie's 'I Can't Get Through'. Prior to his days as a twitcher, and before he cut various breakbeat-laden tracks with the Goodies, he recorded this classy, big city soul-alike for Parlophone in 1966." I'm not sure where they get Northern Soul from though Herbert Hunter is on there, it's a mad CD.

Interesting concept. Someone was playing it in the office t'other week and I heard Dan Folger's "The Way Of The Crowd" for the first time and it blew me away..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If anyone finds a copy of "I Can't Get Through" on Parlophone on their travels and can resist the urge not to break it, I'm after a copy. Seriously.

Demo or stock, I don't mind.

Again, I repeat, I'm being serious. No joke...

Social source share

Guest bobby's girl

Interesting concept. Someone was playing it in the office t'other week and I heard Dan Folger's "The Way Of The Crowd" for the first time and it blew me away..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

I heard this just recently. Great little oddity. Like a cd version of a lucky dip!

Social source share

• 3 months later...

If anyone finds a copy of "I Can't Get Through" on Parlophone on their travels and can resist the urge not to break it, I'm after a copy. Seriously.

Demo or stock, I don't mind.

Again, I repeat, I'm being serious. No joke...

So am I - it's rather brilliant, anyone slagging this off just because of who it is needs to listen again, perfect mid-60's pop/soul beat ballad.

Sometimes you lot are so blinkered.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!