Someone's Going To Be Paying Up

Pete S

I know they have every right to but I hate sellers who won't mark items as a gift, this record below is going to go well over $1000 and they categorically state they won't mark it as a gift - why, what harm would it do them, are the tax people spending every day on ebay checking what records sell and for how much? And then intercepting packets to see if the correct value has been put on?

https://cgi.ebay.com/TY-KARIM-Northern-Soul-on-SENATOR-7-Listen-RARE-Hear_W0QQitemZ320481156883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item4a9e2a5f13

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know they have every right to but I hate sellers who won't mark items as a gift, this record below is going to go well over $1000 and they categorically state they won't mark it as a gift - why, what harm would it do them, are the tax people spending every day on ebay checking what records sell and for how much? And then intercepting packets to see if the correct value has been put on?

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4a9e2a5f13

I think we as a group should be marking our feedback with something we all recognise, as a way of identifying who these sellers are, and lowering our bids by 20% or so ( and every time we win something we should write back to the seller to say " I would have bid 20% higher, as would all rare soul collectors but you chose to take this stance, so you lose 20% of every sale")

These particular sellers have at least marked their item page with the info to say they won't play ball on charges, others have in the past told me they would, and then when they post the parcel I find they didn't.

How about some letters, like W.F.H.W.C, or C.M.A.F.I.V. or D.D.R.F.O.R.W.Z.

Wonder what ebay would make of it if we all started using these?

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4a9e2a5f13

finished at over $1600 for that pile of shite ohmy.gif

Social source share

I think we as a group should be marking our feedback with something we all recognise, as a way of identifying who these sellers are, and lowering our bids by 20% or so ( and every time we win something we should write back to the seller to say " I would have bid 20% higher, as would all rare soul collectors but you chose to take this stance, so you lose 20% of every sale")

These particular sellers have at least marked their item page with the info to say they won't play ball on charges, others have in the past told me they would, and then when they post the parcel I find they didn't.

Same happened here, turned what was a 'fair' price into 'over the odds'.

11.99 import duty

62.08 VAT

13.50 Parcelforce handling charge

87.50 total,

Plus 30 mile round trip to collect from PF depotangry.gif

Guess who's not too thrilled

M.

Social source share

Easiest way to deal with these people is to let them know when it arrives ,it's being held in customs untill i pay the charge ,which i'm not going to .

I then tell them if i don't pay ,it'll be returned and i want a full refund cos i payed with paypal .

Ok you don't wanna send your beloved holy grail back but you can negotiate a bit of compo to cover the cost ,it works cos i ve done it a few timesyes.gif

I also tell them i won't deal with em ever again and that i'll inform all my UK collector buddies to steer clearwicked.gif (which is a blatant lie cos i ain't got any)laugh.gif

Social source share

Easiest way to deal with these people is to let them know when it arrives ,it's being held in customs untill i pay the charge ,which i'm not going to .

I then tell them if i don't pay ,it'll be returned and i want a full refund cos i payed with paypal .

Ok you don't wanna send your beloved holy grail back but you can negotiate a bit of compo to cover the cost ,it works cos i ve done it a few times:yes:

I also tell them i won't deal with em ever again and that i'll inform all my UK collector buddies to steer clear:wicked: (which is a blatant lie cos i ain't got any):laugh:

Problem I have Nev is lack of communication,

I sent the seller a 'reasonable' e-mail asking if he would consider helping out with the charges, in my case there was no mention up front of any conditions regarding the customs declaration, the 45 was declared as 'merchandise' with full price listed:angry: , after a fortnight still no reply, I also copied the mail and sent that via e-bays message function, but still..........nothing

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I sent the seller a 'reasonable' e-mail asking if he would consider helping out with the charges, in my case there was no mention up front of any conditions regarding the customs declaration, the 45 was declared as 'merchandise' with full price listed:angry: , after a fortnight still no reply, I also copied the mail and sent that via e-bays message function, but still..........nothing

M.thumbsup.gif

Ayye but knowing you Mark ,with the added surcharges it'll still be a bargain:wicked:

And i think i've just realised what it iswhistling

Social source share

some sellers won't budge, but pointing out (correctly!) that a parcel with a high value on it is possibly more likely to go 'missing' in transit than one stating $5 often persuades helpful amateur Ebay sellers to write a low value on the form.

Moerer puts $4 on everything and he must send 1000s of parcels out.

and the idea of 'value' is a bit spurious - the value of a 50 year old 45 is nothing to everyone except DJs and collectors - we've just paid a large amount to outbid other collectors really, the 45 is still technically worth nothing, unlike a new DVD or electronic gadget etc, which has an established market 'sale' value.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Tread carefully guys.

I've had to lock horns with the Revenue/Customs in the past over simple human errors and they are smarter than you would want to think and twice as nasty.

And don't think they don't know about price guides, Popsike etc. etc.

And their coffers are all but empty so they are looking for every which way to bring in new taxes and duties.

Just my viewpoint.

MB

Oh and they are probably reading this thread. :ohmy::lol:biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

some sellers won't budge, but pointing out (correctly!) that a parcel with a high value on it is possibly more likely to go 'missing' in transit than one stating $5 often persuades helpful amateur Ebay sellers to write a low value on the form.

Moerer puts $4 on everything and he must send 1000s of parcels out.

and the idea of 'value' is a bit spurious - the value of a 50 year old 45 is nothing to everyone except DJs and collectors - we've just paid a large amount to outbid other collectors really, the 45 is still technically worth nothing, unlike a new DVD or electronic gadget etc, which has an established market 'sale' value.

What would happen if CM puts $4 on a parcel, and the $200 record is broken in transit?

Would it effect his insurance claim?

Is this why sellers dont want to put lower prices, especially on records nearer the $1000 mark?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Is this why sellers dont want to put lower prices, especially on records nearer the $1000 mark?

Mikey

If that is the value that is going to be used to calculate a VAT/Duty payment - putting a lower value is almost certainly a fraud.

That's why they don't want to falsify the value.

Sorry if it goes against the grain - but I am just trying to tell it as it is.

If I am wrong on this I am sure someone will put me straight.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Mikey

If that is the value that is going to be used to calculate a VAT/Duty payment - putting a lower value is almost certainly a fraud.

MB

According to a regular sellar I raised this point with, 'UPS aren't interested in what you put on the customs declaration, their insured value is based on what you pay in postage, so presumably the declaration 'should' have no bearing on any claim filed'

Not something I would like to put to the test thoughno.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Leonardo

Incidentally, has anyone ever persued the 'Request for Refunds of Import,Excise & VAT charges' from HMRC

succesfully or otherwise ?

suppose you would have to proove that the said parcel contained a second hand ex flea market valueless piece of plasticrolleyes.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Had a low value record shipped from US. Seller was probably elderly (judging by handwriting). Declared value on Customs form could be read two ways (ie. $100 or £10.0). Needless to say Customs read it as £100. Parcelforce (who charge a set £12 fee for the priviledge of processing the package) were less than useless and simply gave me a so-called HMRC direct telephone number to ring. Spent ages trying... couldn't get thru'..gave it up as a bad job after a couple of days trying on and off. Didn't pay the VAT/delivery charge, Package was returned to sender who re-shipped (with clear Customs declaration) and I finally got the 45 although it took a couple of months all in all. Paying a second shipping fee worked out cheaper than paying the duty. wicked.gif

Edited by Leonardo
Social source share

Mikey

MB

Why would US authorities concern themselves with the administration of taxes/duties in other countries?

Social source share

Mikey

MB

Tax was already paid on that record 30 years ago though, how can they set a tax figure on second hand goods?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Why would US authorities concern themselves with the administration of taxes/duties in other countries?

To the best of my knowledge there are reciprocal agreements between the tax authorities in all the developed countries.

In this global village there has to be.

I worked at a place where we had what started out as a standard VAT audit. The company was the most honest and above-board place you could imagine. By the end of it one of the clerical girls who dealt with import/export paperwork was being interviewed under caution. i.e. taken into a room with 2 of these heavies - anything you say may be taken down etc. etc. - the whole works. It was unbelievable - she nearly had a nervous breakdown over it.

I don't know chapter and verse of this stuff but I am just saying if you want to start playing games BEWARE of the possible consequences.

MB

Social source share

it explicitly said it upfront in this auction, and the bidder could have adjusted their bid accordingly upfront. it's not like the seller did it after the fact.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Tax was already paid on that record 30 years ago though, how can they set a tax figure on second hand goods?

Pete

It's the way it works. No-one said it had to be logical or fair. Because the U.S. don't have VAT it is charged on goods imported into the U.K. at the point of entry(along with any duty), based on the selling price of the item.

I am quite sure I am correct in what I have said here but I am starting to stray out of my comfort zone.

Anyone can ring up the Customs help desk anonymously. Somebody do that and ask what are the potential implications of falsifying the sales value on import/export paperwork.

If I got it wrong I apologise.

MB

Social source share

it explicitly said it upfront in this auction, and the bidder could have adjusted their bid accordingly upfront. it's not like the seller did it after the fact.

I take your point Bob ,i was just generalising .

The ones i have been hit by have not included it upfront and to be honest ,they're probably totally unaware of their actions when they put the details on the packaging.

Don't know about you guy's in USA but over here we are taxed to the hilt on just about everything .

Having already paid 20% of my income to the tax man before i see it, i think it's unfair of him to tax me on something i buy from USA that was probably tax paid 30+ yrs ago.

Robbing ba****dsangry.gif

Social source share

I sent the seller a 'reasonable' e-mail asking if he would consider helping out with the charges, in my case there was no mention up front of any conditions regarding the customs declaration, the 45 was declared as 'merchandise' with full price listedangry.gif , after a fortnight still no reply, I also copied the mail and sent that via e-bays message function, but still..........nothing

M.thumbsup.gif

After Pete got this rolling this morning I sent another 'nudge' to my sellar

This time he responded.

For anyone interested Attached below copies of communication

RE: ebay item

mark whiteley (sas.aircon@hotmail.com)

Sent:

21 January 2010 17:57:47

To:

********************@gmail.com

Hi David, record arrived UK on Monday of last week.

Firstly let me say this is a lovely copy, just as described and well packed - Many thanks for that.

What I am upset about however is the fact that you declared the record as 'merchandise' with the full purchase price shown on the customs declaration. This resulted in the package being held by Parcelforce (The UK's UPS Partner) pending payment of import duty, holding fees and full UK Tax. This cost me £87 uk pounds to release and finally recieve the record late Friday afternoon.

I have purchased many hundreds of records from the States from private individuals to Major dealers and have never had this happen before. The usual method is to tick the 'Gift' box rather than 'Merchandise' which would then exempt the item from the associated charges, this in no way affects the insured value but does exempt the purchaser from these awful charges.

I feel that I paid 'Top Dollar' for the record and this additional cost has kind of tipped the balance on what was a decent price and wondered if you would consider helping out in any way................... just a thought.

I have retained the packaging and customs declaration plus the UK charges letter and can supply copies to you to verify this.

Let me know your views

Best regards

Mark

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent:

05 February 2010 12:11:43

To:

******************@gmail.com

Hi David, did you get my last e-mail?

M.

Re: ebay item

David *************@gmail.com)

Sent:

05 February 2010 16:25:44

To:

Yes, we received your email. I wrote to eBay and am waiting their response. I do not think it is reasonable to expect me to pay the customs charges in your country for what is rightfully merchandise. I'm sorry that you had to pay to receive your package, but I own a record store next to the post office and I am not in a position where I can lie on a form at the post office. They know who I am and what my shop sells, which is of course merchandise. As for your having paid top dollar for the item and therefore being entitled to demand the seller pay the customs charge, I did not set the price for the item. It was determined by the number of bids. I am sorry for the expense but it is part of ordering merchandise from overseas. This is how we have always declared the handful of records our shop puts online. If you feel you must complain to eBay I'm sure they will contact us both and resolve it.

Dave **************

Sent:

05 February 2010 17:07:56

To:

Hi david, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure writing to e-bay will have any effect as this has no bearing on the transaction.

Of course I'm aware that the bidders finally decided the finishing price, and was only saying that the additional charges made it much less of a bargain.

As far as the 'entitled to demand the sellar pays the customs charge' goes where on earth have you conjured that one up from?

I merely asked if 'you would consider helping out in any way'

Your response makes it quite obvious that you have considered and come up with a definate NO.

As far as being part of the process of ordering from overseas, many regular record sellers will state that 'Items will not be shipped as 'Gift' and will be declared at finishing value'

Perhaps something you may consider using in future!

Thank You For taking the time to reply - eventually

MW.

I think I can consider this one Closed

M.

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I am not in a position where I can lie on a form at the post office.

I am sorry for the expense but it is part of ordering merchandise from overseas.

Appreciate that you were just asking the guy to share the charges - but in his answer the seller describes the circumstances pretty much as I see them.

Makes me feel better - although not you obviously.

MB

Social source share

Appreciate that you were just asking the guy to share the charges - but in his answer the seller describes the circumstances pretty much as I see them.

Makes me feel better - although not you obviously.

MB

yes sure, but it would have been better if I'd been aware of this, I suppose I would still have bought it, but maybe all the bidders would have bid a little lower and possibly the finish price may have been slightly lesswhistling

as they say 'all water under the bridge' now:rolleyes:

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

After Pete got this rolling this morning I sent another 'nudge' to my sellar

This time he responded.

For anyone interested Attached below copies of communication

Sent:

21 January 2010 17:57:47

To:

********************@gmail.com

Hi David, record arrived UK on Monday of last week.

Firstly let me say this is a lovely copy, just as described and well packed - Many thanks for that.

What I am upset about however is the fact that you declared the record as 'merchandise' with the full purchase price shown on the customs declaration. This resulted in the package being held by Parcelforce (The UK's UPS Partner) pending payment of import duty, holding fees and full UK Tax. This cost me £87 uk pounds to release and finally recieve the record late Friday afternoon.

I have purchased many hundreds of records from the States from private individuals to Major dealers and have never had this happen before. The usual method is to tick the 'Gift' box rather than 'Merchandise' which would then exempt the item from the associated charges, this in no way affects the insured value but does exempt the purchaser from these awful charges.

I feel that I paid 'Top Dollar' for the record and this additional cost has kind of tipped the balance on what was a decent price and wondered if you would consider helping out in any way................... just a thought.

I have retained the packaging and customs declaration plus the UK charges letter and can supply copies to you to verify this.

Let me know your views

Best regards

Mark

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent:

05 February 2010 12:11:43

To:

Hi David, did you get my last e-mail?

M.

Re: ebay item

David *************@gmail.com)

Sent:

05 February 2010 16:25:44

To:

Yes, we received your email. I wrote to eBay and am waiting their response. I do not think it is reasonable to expect me to pay the customs charges in your country for what is rightfully merchandise. I'm sorry that you had to pay to receive your package, but I own a record store next to the post office and I am not in a position where I can lie on a form at the post office. They know who I am and what my shop sells, which is of course merchandise. As for your having paid top dollar for the item and therefore being entitled to demand the seller pay the customs charge, I did not set the price for the item. It was determined by the number of bids. I am sorry for the expense but it is part of ordering merchandise from overseas. This is how we have always declared the handful of records our shop puts online. If you feel you must complain to eBay I'm sure they will contact us both and resolve it.

Dave **************

Sent:

05 February 2010 17:07:56

To:

Hi david, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure writing to e-bay will have any effect as this has no bearing on the transaction.

Of course I'm aware that the bidders finally decided the finishing price, and was only saying that the additional charges made it much less of a bargain.

As far as the 'entitled to demand the sellar pays the customs charge' goes where on earth have you conjured that one up from?

I merely asked if 'you would consider helping out in any way'

Your response makes it quite obvious that you have considered and come up with a definate NO.

As far as being part of the process of ordering from overseas, many regular record sellers will state that 'Items will not be shipped as 'Gift' and will be declared at finishing value'

Perhaps something you may consider using in future!

Thank You For taking the time to reply - eventually

MW.

I think I can consider this one Closed

M.

Leave him a negative feedback for being so unhelpful.

Social source share

Customs & Excise are as bad as the 'Spanish Inquisition' and NOBODY expects the 'Spanish Inquisition' :thumbsup:

I follow the philosophy of expecting to be charged on every item that comes through customs and when I'm not charged then I've won thumbup.gif

Every now and again I do have to pay up but overall I'm not paying anything like the amount I should by law.

I agree with the other posts , I always bid the 20% less on a US item than a UK item just in case the 'Spanish Inquisition' get me :D

Social source share

No need to get sarcastic just because you're wrong and I'm right

Turn this debate on its head Benji

Hypothetical :- I live in USA and spend my spare time visiting record fairs ,scouring out the desirable items those idiots over the pond pay a fortune forwicked.gif

I pay $5 for em and list em on ebay .....some of em fetch hundreds of dollars ,so i always make a profityes.gif

I send em in the post with the full amount on the package cos i don't want to flout the customs laws

However i don't tell the IRS i sell records in my spare time .....nope that's my hobby money smile.gif

In a nutshell we all know it's against the law but we all feel ,we pay enough taxes anyway and taxing old 45's is unfair ,especially when they are won on auction.

Ok if your buying these items to deliberatly sell on and make a income out of it ,but most people are collectors/dj's .

P.s Can someone explain the whole ethics of customs and excise duty on overseas goods(in a nutshell)

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

P.s Can someone explain the whole ethics of customs and excise duty on overseas goods(in a nutshell)

Nev

Assuming you are talking about the Duty bit rather than the VAT bit:

When a country charges Duty on imported goods it is summed up in one word - protectionism.

i.e. the Government is trying to encourage its citizens to consume home-produced goods rather than those from another country - by artificially increasing the price. Unfortunately if you are trying to buy a unique item or something that is only available from another country you get stuffed by the same principle.

It was not many years ago that you paid Duty on imports from all the European countries but that was phased out under the EU. (not 100% sure about the countries that have joined recently).

If you want to know about the VAT bit that's another answer.

I know it's a long -ish time back, but when they introduced VAT didn't it exclude second hand goods? when did this change?

As far as I know VAT has always been chargeable on second-hand goods since Day 1. 1st April 1973 - how could you forget that date!!

Don't be confused by "non-registered suppliers" who DON'T have to charge VAT.

There is a scheme at the moment called the "Margin scheme" for second-hand goods but that is more about the way you account for the VAT rather than if an item is chargeable.

MB

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Or Road tax on anything over 25 yrs old if im not mistakeng.gif

You are mistaken. It was vehicles manufactured before a certain date, which happened to be 25 years previously.

And anyone who pays tax on 40% of their earnings gets no sympathy from me, your tax bill will be higher than my top line!

Social source share

Nev

Assuming you are talking about the Duty bit rather than the VAT bit:

When a country charges Duty on imported goods it is summed up in one word - protectionism.

i.e. the Government is trying to encourage its citizens to consume home-produced goods rather than those from another country - by artificially increasing the price. Unfortunately if you are trying to buy a unique item or something that is only available from another country you get stuffed by the same principle.

It was not many years ago that you paid Duty on imports from all the European countries but that was phased out under the EU. (not 100% sure about the countries that have joined recently).

If you want to know about the VAT bit that's another answer.

MB

Thanks and that is exactly as i thought

So where does buying old 45's from Usa contavine those kind of ethics????

Should we be concentrating our efforts on brit pop vinyl, thus helping 2nd hand shops here in the uk ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest soultan

Some people are funny about obeying the law. People on here are a bit funny about copyright issues which is at odds with a lot of the music enjoying public these days. You cant really hassle someone for doing what is legal, even when it seems tedious to you.

You were lucky.......when i drove down to the post office to collect my last usa package with customs changes applied, i ended up with a parking ticket too. I even had a disabled badge in the window and they gave me a 50 quid ticket!. Furthermore, when i opened the package i had a warped record. I am still coming to terms with it now. I did occur to me to dispute the value declared (with the post office) as the record was warped, but could afford to chance another encounter with em.

I wouldn't bother trying to lie to customs either. Its at least as serious as lying to the police. I know I've done it. Another thing about customs is that each customs office is at liberty to interpret the rules as they see them. Meaning what your local customs officer tells you is ,greatly, irrelevant if the package is clearing through a different customs office. Only way around it is to get a "ruling" an you wont get that easily.

One thing that may be worth mentioning is that items owned by you for more that six months become your personal effects. There is no vat or duty payable on personal effects. Probably not an effective method for a single record tho.

Best solution to a law-abiding-yankee is (as mentioned above) to send via another (non-law-abiding) yankee.

Gutted for ya, and watch out for the traffic warden when you collect it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert