U.s Military

Guest JIM BARRY

Guest JIM BARRY

HELP PLEASE ON THIS ONE. IM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANY OF OUR SOUL ARTISTS SERVED IN THE AMERICAN FORCES. ESPECIALLY IN KOREA OR VIETNAM. I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO THAT A LOT OF ENTERTAINERS WERE EXEMPT BECAUSE OF DRUG ADDICTION. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE. JIM

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HELP PLEASE ON THIS ONE. IM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANY OF OUR SOUL ARTISTS SERVED IN THE AMERICAN FORCES. ESPECIALLY IN KOREA OR VIETNAM. I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO THAT A LOT OF ENTERTAINERS WERE EXEMPT BECAUSE OF DRUG ADDICTION. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE. JIM

Heard Archie Bell got wounded in Vietnam.

don't know if it's true though?

Social source share

Ray Pollard--lost an arm in the Korean war:sad:

I am sure that Samuel " Little Sonny " Brown of The Intruders served Viet Nam .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Don't know about Korea or Vietnam but ---

Jimi Hendrix was a paratrooper in the army. Ok, not a soul artist but played with many of the greats.

Edwin Starr served in the army for three years.

Curtis Blandon was drafted into the army in '64 and spent most of his service in Germany.

Lou Rawls served a couple of years as a paratrooper 1956-58.

Drafted into the army were ---

Clyde McPhatter

Oscar Brown Jr

William Bell

Johnny Moore (Drifters)

Jimmy Ruffin

Bobby Bland

Social source share

Not directly from a soul star, but this souful tale told on General Johnson's website makes for interesting reading;

February 18, 2006

Gentlemen,

I'd like to share an experience with all of you that I thought might interest you. In June, 1970, as a "short-timer" in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam I was guarding 6 Viet Cong prisoners who were helping to rebuild a sandbag bunker that their comrades in arms had demolished with mortar fire. As I kept watch over the captured enemy soldiers I was listening to The AFVN (Armed Forces Vietnam Network) on my battery powered radio. The DJ announced "and now a just released jam "Give Me Just a Little More Time" by The Chairmen of the Board!

It wasn't the first time that I'd heard it and I liked it very much but this time I noticed one of the prisoners was not singing but was lip syncing the words, even the part that goes ..... "and our love will surely grow....bluuuurrrrtttt"! I asked him if he spoke English and he told me that he attended the University of Michigan. When asked how he came to be in his current predicament he told me that North Vietnamese Soldiers held AK-47 Assault Rifles to his wife's, father's and mother's heads and demanded he serve in their army or they would kill his family. He got himself captured the very first opportunity that he got.

That day, instead of being the "inhuman animals" that I had been trained, even brainwashed to believe, I saw my enemy as being human beings for the first time. I believe that event helped me to overcome prejudice more than any other single lesson in my life. You guys clearly had a part in that experience. Thank you for making such a horrible part of my life and the lives of thousands of others a little better, if for just a couple of minutes at a time, through your music.

Thank You and God Bless You,

Harry A, Rogers Captain, Charlotte Fire Department, Retired

https://generalnormanjohnson.com/my%20life.htm

Social source share

Heard Archie Bell got wounded in Vietnam.

don't know if it's true though?

No, he did his service in Germany, where he had a car accident which broke him his leg or arm, I don't remember.

I think John Gary Williams went to Vietnam.

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Geno Washington (of Ram Jam Band) was in the U.S. Air Force - based at one of the East Anglian bases.

Got into music here and pretty much never went home.

Don't know if he served anywhere else.

MB

Social source share

a large percentage of 60s male groups broke up or changed lineups because members got drafted to go to nam. listing them all would be like listing all the late 60s groups.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Missed a good one - Tommy Hunt.

From Wikipedia:

After a stint in the United States Air Force, Hunt went AWOL. :thumbsup: He served time in prison for deserting, and after his release, returned to Chicago and formed a group called The Five Echoes. While performing in a club, he was approached by Zeke Carey of The Flamingos, and asked to take Carey's place, as he had recently been drafted. Hunt was kept on after Carey returned.

MB

Social source share

Some people were drafted, while others joined so they could have more control over what branch/duration of service they had. Rock bands, soul groups, funk bands, were all affected, as just about every group had the shadow of the draft hanging over them. If you had 5 young men in your group, 100% odds that at least one of them would be in the service. People with connections could find ways to avoid it (cue the Creedence Clearwater Revival song Fortunate Son), which I'm sure that some high profile stars did. One way was to join the National Guard - something that previous US President George W Bush did (and got a lot of criticism for, deservedly) - but getting into the Guard took someone to pull strings, it was not easy.

A few people tried to get out of it by flunking the physical or ignoring the draft notices. All of which had consequences. Also, there was the college deferment which meant if you stayed in college you could postpone your service - but if you flunked out (a not uncommon event for working musicians), you were called in ASAP.

There was no such thing as being exempt for drug addiction - if you were caught using drugs, you got prison, not an exemption! The law came down hard on drug users, especially young musicians, to 'set an example'.

The US draft ended two years before I was old enough.

- George

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The Charades have been mentioned I think?

Their track on Harlem hit Parade - You Better Believe it, (old Stafford fave) is about the life of a black serviceman in the American Armed Forces.

I love it, but the intro leaves me a bit cold, with its national anthem type break.

It is probably in refrosoul, and its well worth listening to the lyrics. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest steve64

Jack Ashford was drafted in to the army in 1958, to early for Nam. He joined the army sharp shooting team to avoid being sent to Greenland He was based at Fort William, Virginia

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Some people were drafted, while others joined so they could have more control over what branch/duration of service they had. Rock bands, soul groups, funk bands, were all affected, as just about every group had the shadow of the draft hanging over them. If you had 5 young men in your group, 100% odds that at least one of them would be in the service. People with connections could find ways to avoid it (cue the Creedence Clearwater Revival song Fortunate Son), which I'm sure that some high profile stars did. One way was to join the National Guard - something that previous US President George W Bush did (and got a lot of criticism for, deservedly) - but getting into the Guard took someone to pull strings, it was not easy.

A few people tried to get out of it by flunking the physical or ignoring the draft notices. All of which had consequences. Also, there was the college deferment which meant if you stayed in college you could postpone your service - but if you flunked out (a not uncommon event for working musicians), you were called in ASAP.

There was no such thing as being exempt for drug addiction - if you were caught using drugs, you got prison, not an exemption! The law came down hard on drug users, especially young musicians, to 'set an example'.

The US draft ended two years before I was old enough.

THANKS GEORGE:hatsoff2:

- George

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

More recent times Shaggy, served with the 10th Marines,in the Gulf war.

Kev.

Yes, but didn't he spend most of the war in Carolina?
Social source share

Walter & The Admirations aka Green Berets served in Nam i think.

John Harris was in the Forces.

Frankie Boyce of the gospel group The Soul Seekers , was killed in action in Viet Nam .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Frankie Gaye´s stories from combat in the Vietnam war was fundamental in his brother Marvin coming up with the idea for the song and album What´s Going On.

I READIN A RECENT BOOK ABOUT MOTOWN, THAT IT WAS OBIE BENSON OF THE FOUR TOPS THAT WROTE WHATS GOING ON AND TOOK THE IDEA IN ITS INFANCY TO MOTOWN. BERRY GORDY SHOWED NO REAL INTEREST SO IT WAS CARRIED ON WITHOUT HIS BLESSING. ATB JIM

Social source share

I READIN A RECENT BOOK ABOUT MOTOWN, THAT IT WAS OBIE BENSON OF THE FOUR TOPS THAT WROTE WHATS GOING ON AND TOOK THE IDEA IN ITS INFANCY TO MOTOWN. BERRY GORDY SHOWED NO REAL INTEREST SO IT WAS CARRIED ON WITHOUT HIS BLESSING. ATB JIM

You are right Jim, the track was co-written by Obie Benson and the general idea of the "What´s Going On" theme of social awareness was partly inspired by Frankie Gaye´s stories from his time in Vietnam, as Marvin himself related in some interviews. And it´s true that Berry Gordy wasn´t keen on releasing this socially concious concept album, he didn´t believe in it, but today of course he is glad that Marvin got his way (LOL) as most music critics seem to agree on "What´s Going On" being one of the greatest (or even THE greatest) album(s) of all time regardless of genre.

Best,

Melismo

Social source share

You are right Jim, the track was co-written by Obie Benson and the general idea of the "What´s Going On" theme of social awareness was partly inspired by Frankie Gaye´s stories from his time in Vietnam, as Marvin himself related in some interviews. And it´s true that Berry Gordy wasn´t keen on releasing this socially concious concept album, he didn´t believe in it, but today of course he is glad that Marvin got his way (LOL) as most music critics seem to agree on "What´s Going On" being one of the greatest (or even THE greatest) album(s) of all time regardless of genre.

Best,

Melismo

With regard to " WGO " , were there other tracks - beside " Sad Tomorrows " , the alternate version of " Flyin' High ( In the Friendly Sky ) " that were recorded / completed for the album that were shelved ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Kell Osborne drafted in '63 (if memory serves me correctly). What he did/saw I don't know. Think at the time he'd just signed with Capitol and being drafted put paid to his time with a major label. I'll try and get more details when I speak to him as I've a couple of other questions for him I need answering.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert