Four Tops- My Heart Is Calling You

scunnyjack

Just heard a Four Tops version of the Magnificent's My Heart Is Calling You, on The Eddy Edmondson Solar Radio Show. I gather it was unreleased and appeared on a Four Tops CD Box set a couple of years ago.

Am I correct in saying it was written by Frank Wilson and Billy Gordon ? and are there any other Motown versions ?

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just heard a Four Tops version of the Magnificent's My Heart Is Calling You, on The Eddy Edmondson Solar Radio Show. I gather it was unreleased and appeared on a Four Tops CD Box set a couple of years ago.

Am I correct in saying it was written by Frank Wilson and Billy Gordon ? and are there any other Motown versions ?

Steve

Steve

I heard Plumby play it too. Loved it. Not heard it before.

Do you know which Four Tops box set it was on?

Ian

Social source share

Steve

I heard Plumby play it too. Loved it. Not heard it before.

Do you know which Four Tops box set it was on?

Ian

Hi Ian,

A couple of year ago a box set including some unreleased stuff came out in the USA.I think it was available on import for about £50. I am assuming this was the box set Plumby was referring to. I loved it too as I do all of the Four Tops output.

Steve

Social source share

"My Heart Is Calling You" is from the Four Tops Forever boxed set from 2001.

The song was written by Mr. Wilson and MARC Gordon.

I've never heard of any other Motown version but there could be one

in the vaults somewhere.

Thanks for that. I can remember the boxed set being talked about and went on the net to search for it, but did not think it was that far back. Time flies !

Steve

Social source share

Nice enough version, but lacks the energy and rawness of the Magnificents...it's been Motowned.

I sort of agree with you Cliff but wasn't it written originally for Motown, say in the way 'My sugar baby' was, only to be rejected and thus passed onto another artist in LA to record?

I thought it was worth playing on't radio anyways whistling.gif

Cheers

Steve

ps Just spotted yer PM, will reply in a mo'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert