Paradox - Ring The Changes

Simsy

I always thought this was one of the best (if not the best) Northern insrumental there was.

However I was quite taken a back by the comments from a South Coast DJ I hold in high esteem who said it was "awful" and "no better than Joe 90".

It's easily three figures and not that easy to get hold of.

What are your views on this my chin stroking chums?

PARADOX - RING THE CHANGES (INST) -

320111756214.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

That's strange Ian!! .Was listening to this only the other day.ohmy.gif .Sorry,but not for me.Can see the appeal - but there's better instru's...isnt there?biggrin.gif

Wow, so that's 2 well placed dudes that think it's a turd!

Each to his/her own obv, but those fat horns, the uptemponess, the break ..? Can't be just me, Ollie & Smudge that like it, or it'd be £25, not £200 odd? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

He wouldn't mind me saying. Boy's got taste. Just wondered how many more shared these sort of views..

totally agree about daves taste.....has some awesome choons......

Social source share

Wow, so that's 2 well placed dudes that think it's a turd!

Each to his/her own obv, but those fat horns, the uptemponess, the break ..? Can't be just me, Ollie & Smudge that like it, or it'd be £25, not £200 odd? g.gif

Never said it was a turd - just not for mebiggrin.gif .Rather be well hung than well placed..laugh.gif .

Social source share

Sold one of these last year, its a bloody hard one to aquire!

It has everything in there northern wise, you can hear shades of allsorts but its not really my thing....I can understand the appeal for today, its a real mod tune! :hatsoff2:

And theres a vocal as well :hatsoff2:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Dave Rivers played it at Barnsley Nighter a couple of weeks ago. It sounded great! good.gif(But I do have strange tastes)

dave has weird tastes too.....lotsa tunes sound better out on a loud system

Social source share

Never said it was a turd - just not for mebiggrin.gif .Rather be well hung than well placed..laugh.gif .

True. Or both!

Sold one of these last year, its a bloody hard one to aquire!

It has everything in there northern wise, you can hear shades of allsorts but its not really my thing....I can understand the appeal for today, its a real mod tune! :hatsoff2:

And theres a vocal as well :hatsoff2:

Good post and true on polydor mod bit, perhaps that's why it's me. Could you tell us whet you got for it? Prices vary from £150 to £250...

It's alright but never £200.

Did I ever tell you it was me who discovered the vocal to this? :lol:

Yeah? David Walker. What year are you saying you discovered it?

Social source share

Funny one this, has been in and out of favour for some 30 years. Can't remember where it was first played, but sure this goes way back to Wheel/Torch times, was played by someone a few times at Stafford, James Trouble raved about a while back also.

Steve Csordas Yesterday at 7:51am ·

One of Guy's c/ops at Stafford - I believe!! Scottish band and v hard to get hold of.

Social source share

True. Or both!

Good post and true on polydor mod bit, perhaps that's why it's me. Could you tell us whet you got for it? Prices vary from £150 to £250...

Yeah? David Walker. What year are you saying you discovered it?

Christ I don't know..."the eighties"...came from a shop in Brighton. Bought in on the off chance that it might be the vocal without hearing it, before then, it had never been mentioned, played or appeared in RC price guide or any label listings. Got a Maxine Brown French EP with Am i falling in love at the same time, £15 the two so it must have been late 80's.

Social source share

Well I picked up my David Walker promo up before that Petewhistling.gif

It was just another record to make numbers up off a market stall though - I didn't actually know of the Paradox record until it got a mention by Clarkie in Steve G's mag. Even then it was some time until I connected the two as being the same tune!

Social source share

It's alright but never £200.

Did I ever tell you it was me who discovered the vocal to this? sleep3.gif

hatsoff2.gifHi Pete who did discover this one? or do you mean who bought it to the attention of Rare Soul DJs The same goes for Tony Middleton this I heard for the first time on a John Anderson LP, I had a Paradox in the mid 7ts along with Johnny Grey "Boopy" inst- more like BOOBY however I still include it with my Polydors as I am sure it has a Pirate Radio connection, I think the best Instrumental on the label is :-Mike Cotton Sound "Like That" b/w "Harlem Shuffle" which is also good Polydor#59096 have not got a clue about prices of these records apart from Johns record guide- which would be better if he had a *****rating system along with his guesstimate valuation? For example Tina Tots Cover of "Burning in the background of life"PYE #7N 17823... First issued by the New Formula PYE #7N 17552 (pop) but still in collection. My Point is I still believe its just lucky if you own records that others become aware of and they get big, as say "wide awake in a dream" or Glen Miller, I was just lucky to have them when they went big? but I cant say I discovered them, in the way like your Ben Brown Discovery on Polydor, Do you get me drift???ph34r.gif DAVE

post-13241-12647276571243_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hatsoff2.gifHi Pete who did discover this one? or do you mean who bought it to the attention of Rare Soul DJs The same goes for Tony Middleton this I heard for the first time on a John Anderson LP, I had a Paradox in the mid 7ts along with Johnny Grey "Boopy" inst- more like BOOBY however I still include it with my Polydors as I am sure it has a Pirate Radio connection, I think the best Instrumental on the label is :-Mike Cotton Sound "Like That" b/w "Harlem Shuffle" which is also good Polydor#59096 have not got a clue about prices of these records apart from Johns record guide- which would be better if he had a *****rating system along with his guesstimate valuation? For example Tina Tots Cover of "Burning in the background of life"PYE #7N 17823... First issued by the New Formula PYE #7N 17552 (pop) but still in collection. My Point is I still believe its just lucky if you own records that others become aware of and they get big, as say "wide awake in a dream" or Glen Miller, I was just lucky to have them when they went big? but I cant say I discovered them, in the way like your Ben Brown Discovery on Polydor, Do you get me drift???ph34r.gif DAVE

I know what you mean dave, there's always someone who's got it or had it before, so best to go with your opening statement about giving it exposure I suppose because nobody can ever be certain. Had anyone ever heard ketty Lester "some things" before I 'exposed' it - no, I don't think they had, but it was passed on to me by someone else.

Social source share

Hmm never heard it until today...............& personally i don't think I've been missing anything.

Sounds like (it should be) the theme to some cop series!yes.gif

If most soul folk feel that way and that seems the case thus far, why is it £200+ ?

Social source share

Thats not a valid question, I mean, how much is george lemons? Loads. Is it any good? No. PLus I still say it's not worth anything like £200. £125 tops.

Thats not a valid statement, George Lemons is a top tune, hence the price! If you ever get a Paradox, call me first. I'll give you £125 for it. :shades:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It's right good Northern in my opinion, without any of that gushy Soul stuff that can complicate matters if it's thought about too much.

Anyone got any pics of the band? 1970s Scottish rockers, wonder if they look the part...

Social source share

If most soul folk feel that way and that seems the case thus far, why is it £200+ ?

I don't agree with Petes example but since when has rarity equalled quality ?

End of the day you like it & thats all that should matter, it would be a poor state of affairs if we all liked the same thing.............believe it or not I've heard some people actually like 70's/80's disco:wicked:

Social source share

I don't agree with Petes example but since when has rarity equalled quality ?

End of the day you like it & thats all that should matter, it would be a poor state of affairs if we all liked the same thing.............believe it or not I've heard some people actually like 70's/80's discowicked.gif

Agree with all you say Dave.

I think it boils down to this is more of a mod sound than an out & out Northern spin. I would like to know of a better northern instrumental dancer though?

Social source share

I think it boils down to this is more of a mod sound than an out & out Northern spin. I would like to know of a better northern instrumental dancer though?

Tune up !! and it'll cost you a tenner or less

Edited by ken
Social source share

many many many many Simsy (as I'm sure aware reallythumbsup.gif )but just rushing aroung getting ready to flee London to Gloucester so just one & following Kens example I'll give another £10 example "Making Up Time"

Social source share

I would like to know of a better northern instrumental dancer though?

well we had two already...plus

Joe 90; Derek & Ray; Luther Ingram; Eddie Bishop; Oh the classics but this; the other side of PAt & the Blenders, which is a real facker putting that side on without realising...

this...now don't tell me this aint good ;-) https://www.youtube.c...h?v=vwDN9UMMi3c

hatsoff2.gif

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

I got £200 for mine, around that anyway....the b side The Wednesday Theme is another instro but just doesnt do anything or have anything to offer, but played at 33 rpm its an outstanding latin-tinged northern track....I bet im the only one whos played that one at 33 :hatsoff2:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

It was actually the 'Ross Robinson Orch'...both Keb and Guy played it at Stafford etc. good.gif

I love it...pure Northern dance-track instrumental...but the needle on the Soul-o-meter hardly moves :)

Carl Fortnum played it late 80s/ early 90s..

I love it Simsy, was in the box , nearly played it on saturday night at Fulbourn ...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

well we had two already...plus

Joe 90; Derek & Ray; Luther Ingram; Eddie Bishop; Oh the classics but this; the other side of PAt & the Blenders, which is a real facker putting that side on without realising...

this...now don't tell me this aint good ;-) https://www.youtube.c...h?v=vwDN9UMMi3c

hatsoff2.gif

Thanks Dave , you've just revealed my Knuckle shufflers 5 c/u..

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert