Imperial/ Four Wonders

Guest Nick Harrison

Guest Nick Harrison

Was this Group out of Cleveland Ohio, the same band members as 1972 Imperial Wonders and 1974 Four Wonders.........................I have never seen a 1974 album "I cant get over you" on Solid Foundation.

But the Solid Foundatian label released - a 45 S/F108 pressing and promo "Just Looking For My Love" both A and B sided 45's. The pressing being on a black and green label.

So why is the black and green 45 of Solid Foundation 101 "You Only Live Once" conterfeit, and the claret and green 45 of "You Only Live Once" the original.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dave Turner

Was this Group out of Cleveland Ohio, the same band members as 1971 Imperial Wonders and 1974 Four Wonders.........................I have never seen a 1974 album"I cant get over you" on Solid Foundation.

But the Solid Foundatian label released - a 45 S/F108 pressing and promo "Just Looking For Love" both A and B sided 45's. The pressing being on a black and green label.

So why is the black and green 45 of Solid Foundation 101 "You Only Live Twice" conterfeit, and the claret and green 45 of "You Only Live Twice" original.

You Only Live Twice :no:

You Live Only Once :yes:

Social source share

Could someone tell me about this alleged boot of the Imperial Wonders 45? The record was a hit in some places and there were probably several thousand of the original pressings. This is not the first time I've heard about a boot, but I've never seen one - at least not in the US.

I don't know anything about the Four Wonders - well, anything that's relevant. They are not the IW, as Al Boyd's 'autobiography' referenced above makes clear.

Regarding the phantom album, these were mentioned on the label as hype, there were never any LPs by them or the 9th Street Exit (a real group on which I do have info).

- George

Edited by George G
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

no.gif Shocking ...................consuming alcohol whilst incharge of a keyboard. .

Many sincere appologies to the "senior rank" and a huge thank you Chalky for the valued info/data.

And George G also for your input too.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Could someone tell me about this alleged boot of the Imperial Wonders 45? The record was a hit in some places and there were probably several thousand of the original pressings. This is not the first time I've heard about a boot, but I've never seen one - at least not in the US.

I don't know anything about the Four Wonders - well, anything that's relevant. They are not the IW, as Al Boyd's 'autobiography' referenced above makes clear.

Regarding the phantom album, these were mentioned on the label as hype, there were never any LPs by them or the 9th Street Exit (a real group on which I do have info).

- George

vaguely related, but I just got up a 4th version of this track I've never seen before by the "new city sound" on AMG. It shares the same backing as the rock 'n co but it's a kiddie group singing out of tune. The flip is a cover of starwind on pilot master and shares the same backing track as that. Interesting record I've never seen before (unfortunately not very good). The other versions are by Rock n' co and Changing Tymes.

Social source share

vaguely related, but I just got up a 4th version of this track I've never seen before by the "new city sound" on AMG. It shares the same backing as the rock 'n co but it's a kiddie group singing out of tune. The flip is a cover of starwind on pilot master and shares the same backing track as that. Interesting record I've never seen before (unfortunately not very good). The other versions are by Rock n' co and Changing Tymes.

I didn't know that (I do have the CT and R'n'C records). AMG/Pilot Master is one strange operation. The Trans National Funck Co were from Cleveland, so there may be more ties there. I'm still gathering info.....ph34r.gif

- George

Social source share

I didn't know that (I do have the CT and R'n'C records). AMG/Pilot Master is one strange operation. The Trans National Funck Co were from Cleveland, so there may be more ties there. I'm still gathering info.....ph34r.gif

- George

a lot of chicago groups were on AMG, they basically charged you $2000 to record and "promote" your record, they weren't a custom label in that they presented themselves as a legit label. the puzzle people claimed their record actually got played on the american bandstand TV show... the variations of love were even from buffalo, NY

Social source share

a lot of chicago groups were on AMG, they basically charged you $2000 to record and "promote" your record, they weren't a custom label in that they presented themselves as a legit label. the puzzle people claimed their record actually got played on the american bandstand TV show... the variations of love were even from buffalo, NY

Pay To Play ops are what I call 'em. The 'new' Fraternity records (when Shad O'Shea ran it) did the same kind of deal, AMG probably learned the business model from him. One of the guys involved with AMG was Bill Stith, who was in the Cincinnati group the Covairs with his twin brother. Stith spent some time behind Great World Of Sound/Twin records in Miami but returned home around 1975 for the AMG run. GWS/Twin (now you know how the label got that name) was similar. Brite Star/Bryte seemed to originate the concept - stereotyped as a 'song poem' label, they released a lot of source recordings as well - in their case you gave them the recording and paid them to 'promote' it.

Synod on AMG are from Chicago as well. Sub-par commercial rock.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Christ! There's a lot of information in that article :ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

Yes - Steve, well worth printing out and filing with the 4 x 45's, and did you also encounter many a visit to the surface for air, whilst reading it. :ohmy: .

Swifty - there's an opportunity to claw back some of that bonus you lost on S.O.U.L 45/Musicor, as Mr Plumb did or still has the 4 Wonders 45 pressing on his front page focus, recommended and priced correctly.

Cheers

Nick.

Social source share

Yes - Steve, well worth printing out and filing with the 4 x 45's, and did you also encounter many a visit to the surface for air, whilst reading it. ohmy.gif .

Swifty - there's an opportunity to claw back some of that bonus you lost on S.O.U.L 45/Musicor, as Mr Plumb did or still has the 4 Wonders 45 pressing on his front page focus, recommended and priced correctly.

Cheers

Nick.

Hey thanks for the plug Nick thumbsup.gif

Was going to mention it BUT thought against it as it wasn't a wanted thread whistling.gif

btw Tried to read it all in one breath but nearly suffocated!

Take care mate

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert