Souled Out

Paul-s

Guest MBarrett

And also wigan was not the soul scene only part of it

NB

Yes - but it's not a film about the whole British soul scene.

And it's only half a film (approx) about Wigan.

And about two thirds of a film about NS.

And the rest is about kids doing the things that kids did in the early-mid 70's.

I'm thinking of going to the 10 Downing Street website to start a petition to get this film released.

Then maybe we can have some meaningful debate.

MB

Social source share

• Replies 157
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kevnewry

Wouldn't it be great getting all the SS members in a massive audiotorium and us all watching it....Would love that! thumbsup.gif

WE'D ONLY CHUCK "POPCORN" AT EACH OTHER. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yes - but it's not a film about the whole British soul scene.

And it's only half a film (approx) about Wigan.

And about two thirds of a film about NS.

And the rest is about kids doing the things that kids did in the early-mid 70's.

I'm thinking of going to the 10 Downing Street website to start a petition to get this film released.

Then maybe we can have some meaningful debate.

MB

yes i know .

to be honest i could not give a toss about it ... the film will be what it is, some will like it some won't and everyone will have moved on

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stevemcmahon

Based on previous experiences, these types of films tend run into trouble the minute they try to glue a weak story line around a nostalgic era under the guise of posterity - the post on here taking the rise out of the storyline summed that up brilliantly. I felt the same way about Quadrophenia when it was being made, as was asked to be an extra & have been eternally grateful I couldn't make it. That was a mess & a very 70s influenced look back @the 60s. Some bits in that were so painful they reminded me of that dire TV show Rock Follies - but that was just me being a grumpy old cynic @18.

I'd be more interested in a film if it could make you feel the passion & energy I remember from watching certain individuals back in their youth, interpret the songs we all love. This would take quite some dedication from Elaine & her team, something from the look of this trailer, that was not the foremost concern in this particular production - to the point where they may even have to use the over-Tubed, original footage! I'd love to see some new kids doing it the right way, one more time - & without the syrup brigade in the backgound. That would get the point across to those who have yet to comprehend why we all continue doing what we do & maybe even get a new generation of converts through the doors @today's do's. Otherwise, in the end this scene will fade to grey, along with our individual memories.

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Based on previous experiences, these types of films tend run into trouble the minute they try to glue a weak story line around a nostalgic era under the guise of posterity - the post on here taking the rise out of the storyline summed that up brilliantly. I felt the same way about Quadrophenia when it was being made, as was asked to be an extra & have been eternally grateful I couldn't make it. That was a mess & a very 70s influenced look back @the 60s. Some bits in that were so painful they reminded me of that dire TV show Rock Follies - but that was just me being a grumpy old cynic @18.

I'd be more interested in a film if it could make you feel the passion & energy I remember from watching certain individuals back in their youth, interpret the songs we all love. This would take quite some dedication from Elaine & her team, something from the look of this trailer, that was not the foremost concern in this particular production - to the point where they may even have to use the over-Tubed, original footage! I'd love to see some new kids doing it the right way, one more time - & without the syrup brigade in the backgound. That would get the point across to those who have yet to comprehend why we all continue doing what we do & maybe even get a new generation of converts through the doors @today's do's. Otherwise, in the end this scene will fade to grey, along with our individual memories.

Totally unrelated, but Rock Follies!!! I used to love that show, in my defence I was just an uneducated school girl!!!

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Totally unrelated, but Rock Follies!!! I used to love that show, in my defence I was just an uneducated school girl!!!

Courses & horses ..you were most likely in the target audience of that show. Personally, it has always remained a baaad memory whistling.gif

Edited by deeve
Social source share