Aaarrgghhh! Wombat Im Gettin' On Life?

Dazdakin

Can anybody give the definitive description of what a pucker real deal genuine copy looks like, feels like,whats it got in the dead wax that the boots don't, is the lettering any crisper, whats the proper colour of the label and text....Or is this the record that those pesky bootleggers in the 70's actually cracked it and literally confused us all enough to believe that genuine ones are boots and visa versa???

Social source share

Can anybody give the definitive description of what a pucker real deal genuine copy looks like, feels like,whats it got in the dead wax that the boots don't, is the lettering any crisper, whats the proper colour of the label and text....Or is this the record that those pesky bootleggers in the 70's actually cracked it and literally confused us all enough to believe that genuine ones are boots and visa versa???

From memory the original is a darker blue label with heavier print. I thought the boots looked pretty obvious to be honest. Mind you, there weren't that many originals around really. Market demand for an artist called Wombat singing about life's problems in a Michigan Country & Western twang obviously wasn't a huge hit with the public. Great record though! I hated it at the time but have since grown to like its idiosyncratic stance on life.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

This one is quite simple - The orig has an archer stamp in the deadwax

Social source share

This one is quite simple - The orig has an archer stamp in the deadwax

Thats the one post iwas hoping to get!! ARCHER stamp you say, right ok, seen many boots none with an archer stamp in which is obvious if a boot , but i now got one with an archer scratch?? not a stamp as in raised vinyl kind of stamp but a scratch a proper scratch not done by hand,

what do ya think?? is this what you mean when you say stamp as a stamp to me is doni burdick "Bari Track" now thats a stamp!!

Social source share

Ther is also a difference in the text at the bottom somewhere i.e. either one capital letter somewhere is added instead of lower case or visa versa. Cant remember now.

Psmile.gif

The text on the right hand side is all lined up, the text on the boot is not.

post-9388-12647157257769_thumb.jpg

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Thats the one post iwas hoping to get!! ARCHER stamp you say, right ok, seen many boots none with an archer stamp in which is obvious if a boot , but i now got one with an archer scratch?? not a stamp as in raised vinyl kind of stamp but a scratch a proper scratch not done by hand,

what do ya think?? is this what you mean when you say stamp as a stamp to me is doni burdick "Bari Track" now thats a stamp!!

That handwritten Archer is a boot too.

I reckjon theres at least 4 maybe 5 different bootlegs of this, I know I've never had a real one (I thought the Archer scratch in was real at first)

as for the record - was massive when I first got into Northern. Not an all time favourite but I really like it.

Social source share

That handwritten Archer is a boot too.

I reckjon theres at least 4 maybe 5 different bootlegs of this, I know I've never had a real one (I thought the Archer scratch in was real at first)

as for the record - was massive when I first got into Northern. Not an all time favourite but I really like it.

Pete,

It's a myth the original has ARCHER stamped into the deadwax, it's scratched in and reads "Archer" in lower case.

The original WOMBAT has a scratched in Archer stamped with dmx following it. GEMNI used this original masterplate to press several reissues.

To recognize the "ORIGINAL" first press. The right hand side text on the right hand side is lined up and the Co. has a lower case "O" on the original. Archer in this case didn't use a raised stamper but used the dmx matrix variation.

The way to tell the original is the label text layout, like the copy of the scan with the lined up text and Co. someone has posted up, that is the original first press. Totally different shade of blue on the label also to GEMINI's re-issues.

Hope that helps, I think I have a copy around here somewhere, I'll stick it up on auction and display the original label.

The original is extremely rare, as you know.

Best Wishes

John

Social source share

Ask the main man eh!!

different class, thanks John.. . . . .But, (here we go) how about scratched in archer in dead wax followed dxm not dmx or did you just get confused??

Also you say re-issues are about, would they be legal re-issues from Gemni or nasty 70's lookalikes from Soussan lets say.

Social source share

Ask the main man eh!!

different class, thanks John.. . . . .But, (here we go) how about scratched in archer in dead wax followed dxm not dmx or did you just get confused??

Also you say re-issues are about, would they be legal re-issues from Gemni or nasty 70's lookalikes from Soussan lets say.

Yes my mistake, I did it off the top of my head, a typo, DMX is correct

The confusion arises with GEMNI re-issuing the 45 using the same masterplate but not the same label layout of the original first press. THe original first press was and is so rare that the "Bootleggers" copied the GEMNI repro using the 2nd. press label layout. Which fortunately made the ORIGINAL with the Co. and the lined-up text on the right hand side, unique. See the copy we have put up on auction.

If you want to know the matrix for the GEMNI re-issue, from memory it has a deeply scratched GEMNI in the deadwax that as been altered from GEMINI with the first I scratched out.

THe text is the way to identify the first press. The GEMNI matrix alteration is the way to spot the GEMNI re-issues, these have various label colours, all different shades of blue.

We do have the definitve matrix's on file, which will be open to view later in the year as we expand our website to view "all"info on "Out Of Stock" listings which includes scans and matrix details.

Social source share

Yes my mistake, I did it off the top of my head, a typo, DMX is correct

The confusion arises with GEMNI re-issuing the 45 using the same masterplate but not the same label layout of the original first press. THe original first press was and is so rare that the "Bootleggers" copied the GEMNI repro using the 2nd. press label layout. Which fortunately made the ORIGINAL with the Co. and the lined-up text on the right hand side, unique. See the copy we have put up on auction.

If you want to know the matrix for the GEMNI re-issue, from memory it has a deeply scratched GEMNI in the deadwax that as been altered from GEMINI with the first I scratched out.

THe text is the way to identify the first press. The GEMNI matrix alteration is the way to spot the GEMNI re-issues, these have various label colours, all different shades of blue.

We do have the definitve matrix's on file, which will be open to view later in the year as we expand our website to view "all"info on "Out Of Stock" listings which includes scans and matrix details.

Not enough detail John........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thank you so much for taking the time to be as clear as clear can be really .......top man.

i now know i have a second issue "legal" release but not a pucker one........oh well...........how would this go down with all those "original vinyl only" crowd i wonder???

Social source share

I bet they sound better than the Wombat on that bloody record, one of the worst ever, in my very humble opinion obviously.

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Yeah you're right Jocko, it's such an awful record that one could quite easily think that a real live wombat actually was responsible for the record ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah you're right Jocko, it's such an awful record that one could quite easily think that a real live wombat actually was responsible for the record ...

There is just no accounting for no taste is there???

Only kidding mate, your correct in that as for soul content it has got none, but at a nighter it just hits the spot for me, each to their own eh?

Social source share

• 2 years later...

If I remember correctly, back in '74 Chris Bloor from St Helens had one of the only copies around & used to take it to Wigan & Blackpool to be played.(or did I dream It?).

Chris used to write the Northern column for Hot Buttered Soul, & believe he is no longer with us (RIP)

Paul

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I found this record two times in USA...one near Dearborn (Mi.) in 2008 in a car boot sale, and one in North Carolina in 2010 (don't remember the name of the town but near Winston Salem) in a junk shop...and not from record dealers.

I always found the same copy...vinyl, "archer" handwriting in the deadwax...

It's hard to believe (for me) these records are boots when you know the places I found it...

post-11665-0-55677700-1364821378_thumb.j      post-11665-0-66846400-1364821399_thumb.j

(Note that these records are for sale or trade, if interested)

Social source share

post-1224-0-11279700-1364833206_thumb.jp Source: Popsike with jukebox strip (file under 'Popular')

For the record I can smugly state that I have never owned (or even considered the thought of even owning) the said record.

Phew my conscience is clear and I can sleep easy tonight.

I remembered it as being bad but couldn't recall what it sounded like.

Then YouTube quickly reminded me that my first impressions were correct.

About as soulful as a bag o' crisps and as white as the driven snow.

But as a pure dance record - at that time - that could move a big dance floor you can see why it went massive. 

And finally for the record I can state that I have never owned (or even considered the thought of even owning) the said record.

Derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

attachicon.gifWombat.jpg Source: Popsike with jukebox strip (file under 'Popular')

Hi Derek

I remember seeing that for sale on eBay with the juke box strip. Think it was Carl P that sold it.

If I recall correctly, it was described as an original but with a 2nd press different label design.

Seems to suggest there was at least one run of legit 2nd presses, with the large 'O' on CO. and the staggered text. Then some bootlegs.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!