Highest Price On A Cracked Record?

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember back in the late 70's when Doo Wop was selling like no ones business a copy of 'The Five Sharps-Stormy Weather-Jubilee 5104-78rpm' that was broken clean in half, selling for $4000.

Whats the most you've seen a soul record cracked in some way sell for????

Dave

Wasnt their something on ebay that was cracked in 3 places going for just over $1500 recently?

Social source share

I remember back in the late 70's when Doo Wop was selling like no ones business a copy of 'The Five Sharps-Stormy Weather-Jubilee 5104-78rpm' that was broken clean in half, selling for $4000.

Dave

Which, if I remember correctly was cracked by one certain NYC based radio jockey who was lend the 78 to play at his show...a one off until some ten/twenty years later another copy had been found.

Social source share

paid about £40 for a cracked (taped on flip side) copy of touch my heart - vonettes back in 1990

i paid about £20 fro a Danny Monday demo which given it's rarity i was happy with as it did not sound and £2 for a sinceres - girl i love you - pzazz and never did see another copy for sale to replace it and it is a brilliant uptempo dancer

Social source share

paid about £40 for a cracked (taped on flip side) copy of touch my heart - vonettes back in 1990

I paid £30 for a cracked copy of The Anderson Brothers in 1975.

I got it off Rod Shard, sold it in the 80s for £80 to Ian Gilly who has still got it.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

sad.gif

Dave

I SOLD A CRACKED TIMMIE WILLIAMS TO MICK H ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. BROKE IT WHILE DJING AT LOWTON WHEN TAKING IT OFF THE DECK.... I WOKE UP NEXT MORNING HOPING IT WAS A DREAM

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif STILL GOT £500 FOR IT.

Social source share

a good friend and collector of mine bought a copy of bernie williams about 5/6 years ago and reckoned he,d got a bargain,he said i,d paid far too much for it,and he,d got a proper bargain for £500.unfortunately when he got it home it was cracked across the styrene.

Social source share

I had a mint Joe Mathews which I'd inadvertently left in a pile on the floor and which got cracked whilst my record room was being hoovered! ph34r.gif It still played pretty much perfectly and I bolstered it with some masking tape on the B side to keep as intact as I could. But for some reason that was the point when I decided that having so much expensive vinyl on the shelves didn't make so much sense at the time, so that was the single event that made me sell my 3rd Northern collection. I knew the chances of finding another Joe Mathews would be slim and I didn't want to pay a fortune to replace the cracked copy......

......sold it to little Gary from Leeds for £180 in the late 80's at a Griffin Hotel All-Nighter in Leeds. I still think he got a bargain.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

My Magnetics - When I'm With My Baby/Count The Days had a small crack in the run-in groove, went for £400 about 15 years ago. Few years later I was back at the buyer's flat after a session and found it sitting on top of his box under the telly, not in a sleeve, covered in thick dust. I seriously considered making a citizen's arrest and taking it into protective custody, in the name of all that is good and holy. Some folk just ain't fit and proper.angry.gif

Social source share

I have a Seven Souls issue cracked in 3 places (stood on by an ex lodger lol)

i also own the cracked Judy Street original off Pete Smith for £20 i think ??, after taking all the glue off the B side and pressing it together and securing with tape it now plays great with hardly any clicks !! bargain lol

My Edward Hamilton - Baby don't you weep is cracked as is my Bob Crewe Productions copy of Val Regan !!

all play perfect too

Ian.

Social source share

im unsure who got that copy but when i saw a copy that looked suspiciously like it at a venue the dj playing it got quite shirty when i asked him if it was the cracked copy from ebay...i laughed and left it at that...if looks could kill

Social source share

The highest I have heard is £4k. It is a 60s record I have and I don't want to reveal the person that paid that amount for a cracked copy. It's not a nice thing to do. But I did hear they paid £4k for a cracked copy......

i agree steve thats why i never posted a name....

moldie

Social source share

The highest I have heard is £4k. It is a 60s record I have and I don't want to reveal the person that paid that amount for a cracked copy. It's not a nice thing to do. But I did hear they paid £4k for a cracked copy......

wow,4k for a cracked record.i paid £40 for Carl Hall "what about you" in 93 and i took an age to make up my mind about it.if it got cracked at home could i claim the insurance?

Social source share

I never turned down a cracked record as long as it was cheap

Lester Tipton £35

Fascinators £50

Ty Karim your really made it good Romark £35

all play perfectthumbsup.gif

Oh and len jewell terri de £35 bad crack clicked all the way through sold it to a certain lancashire dealer/collector for £1750

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

hatsoff2.gifI sold (the Late) Pete Lawson Jack Montgomery Demo for £100 at Keele. It was cracked 3/4 the way around the label clean as a whistle whistling.gifI wonder if he repaired it and sold it on as the record was mint? So if your demo come from Pete check as it gotta be out there somewhere??? ph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

My Magnetics - When I'm With My Baby/Count The Days had a small crack in the run-in groove, went for £400 about 15 years ago. Few years later I was back at the buyer's flat after a session and found it sitting on top of his box under the telly, not in a sleeve, covered in thick dust. I seriously considered making a citizen's arrest and taking it into protective custody, in the name of all that is good and holy. Some folk just ain't fit and proper.angry.gif

i ended up with this one, sold it for £1300 if i remember correctley, tiny crack on the run out........twasnt me that left it out the sleeve, i rescued it from the foresaid kung fu fightin, womanising, up all night toerag. for 300 a year after you sold it to him.

Edited by lenny h.
Social source share

I had a mint Joe Mathews which I'd inadvertently left in a pile on the floor and which got cracked whilst my record room was being hoovered! :ph34r: It still played pretty much perfectly and I bolstered it with some masking tape on the B side to keep as intact as I could. But for some reason that was the point when I decided that having so much expensive vinyl on the shelves didn't make so much sense at the time, so that was the single event that made me sell my 3rd Northern collection. I knew the chances of finding another Joe Mathews would be slim and I didn't want to pay a fortune to replace the cracked copy......

......sold it to little Gary from Leeds for £180 in the late 80's at a Griffin Hotel All-Nighter in Leeds. I still think he got a bargain.......

Ian D :D

Joe Matthews on Kool Kat?

The B side is the best side.

Check Yourself!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert