Blues Busters

Guest miff

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not a big ska fan but heard this on a mates album, and i love it, so any body got one,

:hatsoff2: HI NICE CHOICE OF MUSIC, THIS IS INDEED A RARE ONE TO OWN, IT ALSO CAME OUT ON THE ISLAND LABLE #ILP-923 BEHOLD...How Sweet it is. by the BLUES BUSTERS. This Album also has the classic "wide awake in a Dream" "how sweet it is" "oh baby" and more classic tunes by this great Jamaican Due (Sam & Dave JA Style) I have a spare JA original Nice Nick... or you could buy the CD? However you wont have the vinyl sound of "soon you will be gone" Typical FLAMINGO 64 MOD Record, will yer SONNY BOY???

:ph34r: DAVE(MAKE ME AN OFFER)KIL

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI NICE CHOICE OF MUSIC, THIS IS INDEED A RARE ONE TO OWN, IT ALSO CAME OUT ON THE ISLAND LABLE #ILP-923 BEHOLD...How Sweet it is. by the BLUES BUSTERS. This Album also has the classic "wide awake in a Dream" "how sweet it is" "oh baby" and more classic tunes by this great Jamaican Due (Sam & Dave JA Style) I have a spare JA original Nice Nick... or you could buy the CD? However you wont have the vinyl sound of "soon you will be gone" Typical FLAMINGO 64 MOD Record, will yer SONNY BOY???

:ph34r: DAVE(MAKE ME AN OFFER)KIL

Been told that the CD is a really bad recording ? so my mates recorded the island LP for me clicks & pops and all :thumbup:

Social source share

The dutch release on UA is from 1968 and you have back to back "I won't let you go" and "Soon you'll be gone" with a nice pic of the duo.

Forget the belgian release from the 80s. The songs are not from the Blues Busters. It's Keith & Ken (faster/worse take on "I won't let you go") and Winston Samuels "You're the one I need" on the b-side.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Been told that the CD is a really bad recording ? so my mates recorded the island LP for me clicks & pops and all thumbup.gif

I compiled the Blues Busters 2CD set for Trojan and I can say with some degree of confidence (given that they used my mint Sunshine LP to dub it from) that the recording of SYBG on the double "Behold" CD is most certainly not a bad recording!

Worth noting, if you're in search of an original 45, that the sound on the BRA release is very thin and lacking in any kind of 'oomph' (although you do get "Can't Believe That You're Gone" on the other side). The BRA pressing is also very grainy.

The Island and Kentone issues sound just wonderful, though...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I compiled the Blues Busters 2CD set for Trojan and I can say with some degree of confidence (given that they used my mint Sunshine LP to dub it from) that the recording of SYBG on the double "Behold" CD is most certainly not a bad recording!

Worth noting, if you're in search of an original 45, that the sound on the BRA release is very thin and lacking in any kind of 'oomph' (although you do get "Can't Believe That You're Gone" on the other side). The BRA pressing is also very grainy.

The Island and Kentone issues sound just wonderful, though...

Thats no the album hes got it on just trawled the web and found this which is the album my mates got yes.gif

Trojan Records was founded in 1967 by Jamaican-English producer Lee Gopthal as something of a sister label to Chris Blackwell's Island Records. It became one of the best-known and successful reggae labels, but it also bought out several independent Jamaican labels and ended up with a pretty good ska and rock-steady back catalog. In 1972, it went through these archives and put out a fantastic (if somewhat inaccurately-named) compilation, The Trojan Story.Although the liner notes were somewhat sparse and the sound rough, you couldn't want a better overview of 1960s Jamaican music. The first tracks, from 1961, are embryonic ska in which you can hear the R & B influence; it takes us through the height of ska to its migration to rock-steady, and then winding up with early reggae (it even includes what could be called the "original" rock-steady and reggae songs: Alton Ellis's "Rock Steady" and The Maytals' "Do the Reggay", respectively).

The three-disk box was only in print for a short time, and was reissued briefly in 1980 (in 1976, Trojan released a different compilation and also called it The Trojan Story, ensuring eternal confusion). In 1988, it was released on a 2-CD set, which also quickly went out of print; copies today sell for $50-75.

I've had the LP set for some time, but I was trying to track down a copy of the CD for the last few years. I finally found a reasonably priced copy, and the sound was awful. It's one of the worst mastering jobs I've ever heard. They didn't go back to the original masters, but clearly just copied the LP, and didn't even do a very good job of that. The copy I made off my LP sounded much better. So that's what we have here. Be sure to at least check out "Housewives' Choice" and "The Great Wuga Wuga". Also Jimmy Cliff when he was just 14!

1. Laurel Aitken and the Carib Beats - Bartender [1961]

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI NICE CHOICE OF MUSIC, THIS IS INDEED A RARE ONE TO OWN, IT ALSO CAME OUT ON THE ISLAND LABLE #ILP-923 BEHOLD...How Sweet it is. by the BLUES BUSTERS. This Album also has the classic "wide awake in a Dream" "how sweet it is" "oh baby" and more classic tunes by this great Jamaican Due (Sam & Dave JA Style) I have a spare JA original Nice Nick... or you could buy the CD? However you wont have the vinyl sound of "soon you will be gone" Typical FLAMINGO 64 MOD Record, will yer SONNY BOY???

ph34r.gif DAVE(MAKE ME AN OFFER)KIL

Hi dthedrug! just curiosity: did you attend the FLAMINGO in the 60s or know someone who ever did?

I'd love to read something about it and playlists etc...

Thanks!

Social source share

Thats no the album hes got it on just trawled the web and found this which is the album my mates got yes.gif

Trojan Records was founded in 1967 by Jamaican-English producer Lee Gopthal as something of a sister label to Chris Blackwell's Island Records. It became one of the best-known and successful reggae labels, but it also bought out several independent Jamaican labels and ended up with a pretty good ska and rock-steady back catalog. In 1972, it went through these archives and put out a fantastic (if somewhat inaccurately-named) compilation, The Trojan Story.Although the liner notes were somewhat sparse and the sound rough, you couldn't want a better overview of 1960s Jamaican music. The first tracks, from 1961, are embryonic ska in which you can hear the R & B influence; it takes us through the height of ska to its migration to rock-steady, and then winding up with early reggae (it even includes what could be called the "original" rock-steady and reggae songs: Alton Ellis's "Rock Steady" and The Maytals' "Do the Reggay", respectively).

The three-disk box was only in print for a short time, and was reissued briefly in 1980 (in 1976, Trojan released a different compilation and also called it The Trojan Story, ensuring eternal confusion). In 1988, it was released on a 2-CD set, which also quickly went out of print; copies today sell for $50-75.

I've had the LP set for some time, but I was trying to track down a copy of the CD for the last few years. I finally found a reasonably priced copy, and the sound was awful. It's one of the worst mastering jobs I've ever heard. They didn't go back to the original masters, but clearly just copied the LP, and didn't even do a very good job of that. The copy I made off my LP sounded much better. So that's what we have here. Be sure to at least check out "Housewives' Choice" and "The Great Wuga Wuga". Also Jimmy Cliff when he was just 14!

1. Laurel Aitken and the Carib Beats - Bartender [1961]

That LP got me in so much trouble, in 1972 I only got 25p pocket money a week (I was 12) and this one day my mum hadn't got any change so she gave me a fiver under strict instructions that I only spend my 25p allowance. I saw this lp in Goulds, it was 2.99 and I spent half an hour wondering what I should do, in the end I went and bought it, and of course didn't get any more pocket money until I'd paid back the money, but it's been with me ever since, I think I know the sleeve notes off by heart and it's where I heard some of my all time favourite tracks (rock steady, way of life, perfidia, great wuga wuga etc).

The original LP's were all dubbed from vinyl, from one guy's collection, so even the original isn't that great sound quality wise.

But it's one of my 'milestone' lp's this.

Social source share

Hi dthedrug! just curiosity: did you attend the FLAMINGO in the 60s or know someone who ever did?

I'd love to read something about it and playlists etc...

Thanks!

hatsoff2.gifthumbup.gifHI YES OF COURSE I DID, As a Kid once I got out of the Kids homes/Approved School set up, the WEST END & SOHO, was where I felt secure most, right up to today if you know London's WEST END next time you are there spend 15 minutes sitting on a bench in SOHO Square or watch the traffic on TYBURN come from the Edgware road around Marble Arch into Park Lane the weak to Oxford Circus turn into Regent street take the 1st left into SOHO just wander about pass the Palladium memories of Sunday night telly also it was followed up with the Beverly Hillbillies if you walk parallel to Regent Street you will enter Carnaby St you can pop into the MERC and have a nice coffee in the precinct.. by the time you have walked the SOHO Street, You will see streets with familiar names Beak St Brewer Street (home of SQIRES) Seville Row, Old Compton Street with its GAY Scene that is so familiar today but in 67/8 it was all different even the way they spoke was a art form I got Razord in the La Douce Club by GAY Skinheads they came from HENDON there are some famous photos of them standing around a massive lamp post.there were a few all-nighters back then that were just empty rooms with a coffee bar and Juke Box, WARDOR Street buzzed all night the Marquee use to shut at 11.30pm but not far away you could smell the Bush, and you had to look the part as the Pink Flamingo was right in front of you, the fist thing that always happened a white geezer who looked like Peter Cook would ask me if I had any "Dubes" and then to Jamaicans would say are you staying All Night if so Caps are 3 for Half a Crown and blues are 6d each but you gotta by at least 2/6d I can remember a bloke from the Angel he used shout 1 for 9d 4 for Half a Dollar as you went in the Flamingo the heat and music along with the Colly & Bush made the atmosphere down the stairs and you perked all night, the club was a bit like the CATS wolves & the Twisted Wheel Club on Whitworth Street, certainly there was not a lot of difference the 2 clubs with 1 exception the Wheel had A FEW JEW BOYS and the Flamingo Had Jamaicans we use to call them Rude Boys or SPADES as they use to hustle Evey body especially in the Bog (sound Familiar) I remember the night Billy Stewart was on a spade called Ricky made me hand over my watch, he looked at it and gave it back to me sucked his teeth and uttered TIMEX, when you left the club 5 to 6 am that's when it shut you hit the London air and made your way to the Dilly but I used to go down Gerrard Street and you could buy China White the of to the Dilly if you were lucky you could buy an amp of methedrine for 5 Bob or use the CHINA, but you had to get a works from the 24 hour Boots on the Circus, and go to the Underground Bogs, Back then there used to be sheets of IZAL tissue stuck down the centre glass section of the bog door this was the cottaging section you would fix the China and make your way up the Totenham Court Road till it joined the Euston Road and make for Kings X often I would Nick a Scooter to get me home or a Mini you could Nick a Mini in 30 seconds just lean against the driver Door windows so they would unlatch go to the fuse box under the bonnet put a 3d bit in between the fuses close the bonnet get in the mini give the steering wheel a sharp tug to snap the lock press the button on the floor and away you went thumbup.gif Did I go to the Flamingo?
ph34r.gifDAVE("MORE THAN SKIN DEEP") KIL AKA DTHEDRUG DAGANHAM DAVE, LITTLE KILLER ©dthedrug2009
Social source share

hatsoff2.gifthumbup.gifHI YES OF COURSE I DID, As a Kid once I got out of the Kids homes/Approved School set up, the WEST END & SOHO, was where I felt secure most, right up to today if you know London's WEST END next time you are there spend 15 minutes sitting on a bench in SOHO Square or watch the traffic on TYBURN come from the Edgware road around Marble Arch into Park Lane the weak to Oxford Circus turn into Regent street take the 1st left into SOHO just wander about pass the Palladium memories of Sunday night telly also it was followed up with the Beverly Hillbillies if you walk parallel to Regent Street you will enter Carnaby St you can pop into the MERC and have a nice coffee in the precinct.. by the time you have walked the SOHO Street, You will see streets with familiar names Beak St Brewer Street (home of SQIRES) Seville Row, Old Compton Street with its GAY Scene that is so familiar today but in 67/8 it was all different even the way they spoke was a art form I got Razord in the La Douce Club by GAY Skinheads they came from HENDON there are some famous photos of them standing around a massive lamp post.there were a few all-nighters back then that were just empty rooms with a coffee bar and Juke Box, WARDOR Street buzzed all night the Marquee use to shut at 11.30pm but not far away you could smell the Bush, and you had to look the part as the Pink Flamingo was right in front of you, the fist thing that always happened a white geezer who looked like Peter Cook would ask me if I had any "Dubes" and then to Jamaicans would say are you staying All Night if so Caps are 3 for Half a Crown and blues are 6d each but you gotta by at least 2/6d I can remember a bloke from the Angel he used shout 1 for 9d 4 for Half a Dollar as you went in the Flamingo the heat and music along with the Colly & Bush made the atmosphere down the stairs and you perked all night, the club was a bit like the CATS wolves & the Twisted Wheel Club on Whitworth Street, certainly there was not a lot of difference the 2 clubs with 1 exception the Wheel had A FEW JEW BOYS and the Flamingo Had Jamaicans we use to call them Rude Boys or SPADES as they use to hustle Evey body especially in the Bog (sound Familiar) I remember the night Billy Stewart was on a spade called Ricky made me hand over my watch, he looked at it and gave it back to me sucked his teeth and uttered TIMEX, when you left the club 5 to 6 am that's when it shut you hit the London air and made your way to the Dilly but I used to go down Gerrard Street and you could buy China White the of to the Dilly if you were lucky you could buy an amp of methedrine for 5 Bob or use the CHINA, but you had to get a works from the 24 hour Boots on the Circus, and go to the Underground Bogs, Back then there used to be sheets of IZAL tissue stuck down the centre glass section of the bog door this was the cottaging section you would fix the China and make your way up the Totenham Court Road till it joined the Euston Road and make for Kings X often I would Nick a Scooter to get me home or a Mini you could Nick a Mini in 30 seconds just lean against the driver Door windows so they would unlatch go to the fuse box under the bonnet put a 3d bit in between the fuses close the bonnet get in the mini give the steering wheel a sharp tug to snap the lock press the button on the floor and away you went thumbup.gif Did I go to the Flamingo?

ph34r.gifDAVE("MORE THAN SKIN DEEP") KIL AKA DTHEDRUG DAGANHAM DAVE, LITTLE KILLER ©dthedrug2009

Thank you for this Dave. So you were at the Flamingo around 1967, is it right? Although being called by then Pink Flamingo was the music still Soul, Ska and R&B? or Psych got also played??

Could you give us a Top 10 of tunes played at the Flamingo those years you attend?

Best wishes!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There is also an Atlantic LP with this track on it as well as The Maytals etc. All tracks were Produced by Jerry Wexler during a visit to Jamaica hence the great quality I think..

Not quite right, my friend - most of the tracks on that album were recorded in Atlantic Studios in New York, engineered by Atlantic engineer Tom Dowd and produced by Ronnie Nasralla and Byron Lee.

Whether his name's on the sleeve or not, Wexler had nothing to do with these sides.

Social source share

one went recently on ebay for $380 ! if you want the kentone issue then your prob looking at anything up to that , i got mine for $250 ! there is one on emi which is a second or third press which goes cheap, also there is one on united artists i think ???

Yeah, I have it on a lovely looking orange coloured Dutch United Artists. :o)

Social source share

Source Advert