R And B

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

I KNOW WHAT I THINK IT MEANS , AND THE TERM IS USED A LOT FOR CHART MUSIC NOW ,BUT I HAD A FALLOUT WITH A MATE WHO SAID THE OJAY'S ARE A R AND B ACT ? I SAID BOLL**S THEY ARE A SOUL GROUP ,SO AM I RIGHT OR WRONG boxing.gif

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I KNOW WHAT I THINK IT MEANS , AND THE TERM IS USED A LOT FOR CHART MUSIC NOW ,BUT I HAD A FALLOUT WITH A MATE WHO SAID THE OJAY'S ARE A R AND B ACT ? I SAID BOLL**S THEY ARE A SOUL GROUP ,SO AM I RIGHT OR WRONG boxing.gif

Wrong

Social source share

The term R&B is a term for all "kind" of soul music even for today. It was Jerry Wexler who came up with this term for Billboard Magazine.

Social source share

deffo not that barsteward garbage posin as pop music...last 2 1/2 generations brainwashed by utter crap and still they've got no roots. r n' b music originating in the deep south migrated to places like chicago etc rough n' raw, the artists who became our heroes brought up and fought way out of deprivation and did it best by translating it into music...blues set to rhythm. probably the label most associated with it is chess whose releases reached these shores via pye picadilly's r n'b series and naturally the uk chess outlet. curtis and the impressions elevated it to reach a larger audience and the earl stax/atlantic sound gave it a more commercial polish.

thats my interpretation anyway....any takers?

rob.h

Social source share

Wikipedia Says..................

Rhythm and blues, often abbreviated to R&B, is a genre of popular African American music that originated in the 1940s.[1] The term was originally used by record companies to describe recordings marketed predominantly to urban African Americans, at a time when "urbane, rocking, jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat" was becoming more popular.[2]

The term has subsequently had a number of shifts in meaning. In the early 1950s and beyond, the term rhythm and blues was frequently applied to blues records.[3] Starting in the 1960s, after this style of music contributed to the development of rock and roll, the term "R&B" became used to refer to music styles that developed from and incorporated electric blues, as well as gospel and soul music. By the 1970s, rhythm and blues was used as a blanket term for soul and funk. In the 1980s, a newer style of R&B developed, becoming known as contemporary R&B.

To me however R&B is the early 50s Vocal groups, Orioles, Cadilacs, Heartbeats, Penguins, etc etc..........through to the early soul sound of, Joe Tex, James Brown, Percy Sledge, Jackie Wilson.........etc, etc.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Wikipedia Says..................

Rhythm and blues, often abbreviated to R&B, is a genre of popular African American music that originated in the 1940s.[1] The term was originally used by record companies to describe recordings marketed predominantly to urban African Americans, at a time when "urbane, rocking, jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat" was becoming more popular.[2]

The term has subsequently had a number of shifts in meaning. In the early 1950s and beyond, the term rhythm and blues was frequently applied to blues records.[3] Starting in the 1960s, after this style of music contributed to the development of rock and roll, the term "R&B" became used to refer to music styles that developed from and incorporated electric blues, as well as gospel and soul music. By the 1970s, rhythm and blues was used as a blanket term for soul and funk. In the 1980s, a newer style of R&B developed, becoming known as contemporary R&B.

To me however R&B is the early 50s Vocal groups, Orioles, Cadilacs, Heartbeats, Penguins, etc etc..........through to the early soul sound of, Joe Tex, James Brown, Percy Sledge, Jackie Wilson.........etc, etc.

Well put ,thats just how i would have put it ! To me its def 50's very early 60's .

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

in America everything that charts in the R & B chart well most is labelled as R & B like they put say Beyonce R & B singer or Temptations R & B act, to me the term refers to 2 types of music.

1. music made in the 40's and 50's and early 60's like soul - Lavern baker etc

2. music of late 80's - now - all that R Kelly and so on

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Too much 6ts R&B means a bad night out if you ask me. That said I like it but just not more than half an hour of an allnighter.

Social source share

gotta agree most r & b is rubbish & b*ll*cks to me whistling.gif

Comments like this always make me laugh....R&B is rubbish, unless of course a small, select, english minority have reclassified it as 'northern soul' in which case it's not rubbish it's brilliant! I'm positive that if you named your Top 50 northern soul tracks a large number would be considered by many as R&B.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Comments like this always make me laugh....R&B is rubbish, unless of course a small, select, english minority have reclassified it as 'northern soul' in which case it's not rubbish it's brilliant! I'm positive that if you named your Top 50 northern soul tracks a large number would be considered by many as R&B.

So back to the topic ,are the ojay's R and B or soul ,maybe we get to stuck on labels at the end of the day ?

Social source share

Totaly agree..............

As soon as anything has been given a label, wether its music or otherwise, it's almost as If its sending out a signal to tell people what they should be allowed to like.

If we open our ears, we can hear the wonderfull rich history of the music that we now call "Northern Soul" going back decades before the Sixties, how anyone can just dismiss all that preceded, as rubbish is beyond me.

Social source share

So back to the topic ,are the ojay's R and B or soul ,maybe we get to stuck on labels at the end of the day ?

My opinion,

For what it's worthtumbleweed3.gif

O'Jays, Drifters, Impressions and many other groups trancended boundries and maybe started as "Doo Wop, Vocal groups, or R&B" (Here we go with the labels again) but there was a shift to the term Soul being used around the early 60s as the perfomances and recordings became more sophisticated and possibly aimed at a more white market, Not always the case, but well documented in the case of Motown.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I KNOW WHAT I THINK IT MEANS , AND THE TERM IS USED A LOT FOR CHART MUSIC NOW ,BUT I HAD A FALLOUT WITH A MATE WHO SAID THE OJAY'S ARE A R AND B ACT ? I SAID BOLL**S THEY ARE A SOUL GROUP ,SO AM I RIGHT OR WRONG :boxing:

It's an impossible argument because you are both right.

Let me explain why.

Up to the end of the 1940's the U.S. Billboard Magazine had a section for black music which it called Race music. Mainly blues genre obviously.

Around about 1949 (with the nature of the music taking on more of a danceable beat) they changed it to Rhythm and Blues (R & B ).

This terminology ran right through to the end of the 1960's.

So in the 60's you find the O'Jays on the Billboard R & B Chart.

Then in about 1970 they dropped the term R & B and started using the term Soul.

So in the 1970's you find the O'Jays in on the Billboard Soul Chart.

So time to shake hands and buy each other a pint.

MB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert