Top 100 Northern Soul Oldies Of All Time

Pete S

THE TOP 100 NORTHERN SOUL OLDIES OF ALL TIME – AS CHOSEN BY ME.

IT GETS LONELY SITTING HERE AT HOME GAZING OUT OF THE WINDOW SO TO KILL SOME TIME I DECIDED TO GET ALL MY OLD FAVOURITE RECORDS OUT AND SEE IF I COULD PUT THEM IN SOME ORDER OF FAVOURITISM. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT TASK AS THERE ARE SO MANY ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS TO CHOOSE FROM – BUT I’VE HAD A GO AND COME UP WITH A TOP 100. ANYWAY, I THOUGHT I COULD TURN THESE INTO A 4 OR 5 EPISODE SERIES OF PODCASTS AND IT MIGHT BE FUN FOR PEOPLE TO LISTEN IN AND MAYBE GUESS WHAT’S COMING NEXT, WHAT’S IN THE TOP 10, AND HOW SHIT MY TASTE IN MUSIC IS. SO I DID IT, AND THE FIRST 20 TRACKS ARE NOW AVAILABLE TO LISTEN TO AS A PODCAST.

REMEMBER, IT’S JUST A BIT OF FUN, THEY ARE JUST MY FAVOURITE RECORDS, IT’S NOT MEANT TO BE SOME KIND OF OFFICIAL CHART!

I ALSO ADDED A FEW 60’S RADIO JINGLES FOR NO REASON REALLY.

IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE OF ANY INTEREST TO YOU, GO TO THE MEDIA SECTION WHERE YOU WILL FIND THE LINK AND THE TRACK LISTING TO PART 1

P.S. I ONLY BASED IT ON RECORDS I'D GOT ON VINYL, SO LOADS OF FAVOURITES ARE MISSED OUT AS I ONLY HAD THEM ON CD OR MP3

https://planetrecords.podbean.com/

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

THE TOP 100 NORTHERN SOUL OLDIES OF ALL TIME - AS CHOSEN BY ME.

IT GETS LONELY SITTING HERE AT HOME GAZING OUT OF THE WINDOW SO TO KILL SOME TIME I DECIDED TO GET ALL MY OLD FAVOURITE RECORDS OUT AND SEE IF I COULD PUT THEM IN SOME ORDER OF FAVOURITISM. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT TASK AS THERE ARE SO MANY ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS TO CHOOSE FROM - BUT I'VE HAD A GO AND COME UP WITH A TOP 100. ANYWAY, I THOUGHT I COULD TURN THESE INTO A 4 OR 5 EPISODE SERIES OF PODCASTS AND IT MIGHT BE FUN FOR PEOPLE TO LISTEN IN AND MAYBE GUESS WHAT'S COMING NEXT, WHAT'S IN THE TOP 10, AND HOW SHIT MY TASTE IN MUSIC IS. SO I DID IT, AND THE FIRST 20 TRACKS ARE NOW AVAILABLE TO LISTEN TO AS A PODCAST.

REMEMBER, IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN, THEY ARE JUST MY FAVVOURITE RECORDS, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE SOME KIND OF OFFICIAL CHART!

I ALSO ADDED A FEW 60'S RADIO JINGLES FOR NO REASON REALLY.

IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE OF ANY INTEREST TO YOU, GO TO THE MEDIA SECTION WHERE YOU WILL FIND THE LINK AND THE TRACK LISTING TO PART 1

Looking forward to the 83 oldies that are better than Court Davis!

It's all about opinions I guess.

Social source share

Looking forward to the 83 oldies that are better than Court Davis!

It's all about opinions I guess.

If it wasn't about opinions it would be a random selection of records in no order, wouldn't it?

What a peculiar comment.

It plainly says, it's MY favourites, therefore they are the best in MY OPINION.

Don't take it so serious for fucks sake.

Social source share

If it wasn't about opinions it would be a random selection of records in no order, wouldn't it?

What a peculiar comment.

Listening to it now Pete, nice one. By the wy its playing perfectly thru my Microsoft explorer.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

What a peculiar comment.

1. I think I said it was all about opinions.

2. I was offering mine.

3. I genuinely was looking forward to the next installment.

4. I wasn't taking it serious for fucks sake.

5. You on the other hand appear to be.

I just shut the fuck up from now on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Checking it out now, what's the 'vinyl' story on THE MONITORS 'Crying in the night'?thumbsup.gif

It's on a boot with, weirdly, baby Hit And Run on the other side - thats the second boot, it came out about 10 years ago on a red label with the isleys my love is your love

Social source share

keep them coming pete, 10/10 mate

I've got one more batch recorded and ready to upload, but I couldn't put any jingles on it which is a shame, anyway I'll get that one up as soon as I can then do maybe one tomorrow and the final one on sunday, also I didn't realise I was recording them in such low sound quality so I'll improve that too.

Social source share

I've got one more batch recorded and ready to upload, but I couldn't put any jingles on it which is a shame, anyway I'll get that one up as soon as I can then do maybe one tomorrow and the final one on sunday, also I didn't realise I was recording them in such low sound quality so I'll improve that too.

our lass even smile at the opal fruits jingle brought back fond memories mate

Social source share

our lass even smile at the opal fruits jingle brought back fond memories mate

Liked the Lee Dorsey "Coca Cola" ad.

Some great musical memories for me on those first 2 podcasts. Ronnie Mcneir, George Blackwell & Bobby Hutton - I had some fantastic times, mates & places & they are/were all centered round those records & their like.

Genuinely Pete your knowledge of what "Northern Soul" really is shines out in your choices.

Social source share

part 3 now available!

WELCOME TO PART 3 AND THANKS FOR ALL OF THE COMMENTS SO FAR - GLAD SOME OF YOU ARE ENJOYING THE CHOICES. I'VE HAD TO RUSH THIS LAST ONE AND SO DIDN'T GET TIME TO INSERT ANY JINGLES BUT I'LL TRY AND FIND SOME MORE FOR THE FINAL TWO EPISODES.

ALSO, I DIDN'T REALISE I WAS RECORDING IN SUCH LOW QUALITY SO THIS ONE AND FUTURE ONES SHOULD BE AS GOOD A QUALITY AS PREVIOUS CASTS.

ALL BEING WELL, I'LL POST PART FOUR TOMORROW AND THE FINAL PART ON SUNDAY EVENING.

https://planetrecords.podbean.com/2010/01/22/the-top-100-northern-soul-oldies-part-3/

60 LOU RAGLAND - I TRAVEL ALONE (AMY)

59 RONNIE & ROBYN - SIDRA'S THEME (SIDRA)

58 EDDIE PARKER - I'M GONE (AWAKE)

57 THE BELLES - DON'T PRETEND (MIRWOOD)

56 TONY MIDDLETON - TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH (MGM)

55 MORRIS CHESTNUT - TOO DARN SOULFUL (AMY)

54 CAROLYN CRAWFORD - FORGET ABOUT ME (MOTOWN)

53 DELREYS INCORPORATED - DESTINATION UNKNOWN (TAMPETE)

52 GENE CHANDLER - I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF (CONSTELLATION)

51 THE FI-DELS - TRY A LITTLE HARDER (KEYMEN)

50 BOBBY BLAND - SHOES (DUKE)

49 THE REFLECTIONS - LIKE ADAM AND EVE (ABC)

48 ADAM'S APPLES - DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON THIS WORLD (BRUNSWICK)

47 THE WORLD COLUMN - SO IS THE SUN (TOWER)

46 REGGIE GARNER - HOT LINE (CAPITOL)

45 KARMELLO BROOKS - TELL ME BABY (MILESTONE)

44 DENA BARNES - IF YOU EVER WALK OUT OF MY LIFE (INFERNO)

43 JIMMIE RAYE - PHILLY DOG AROUND THE WORLD (KKC)

42 MEL BRITT - SHE'LL COME RUNNING BACK (FIP)

41 CAJUN HART - GOT TO FIND A WAY (WARNER BROS)

Social source share

Sat in a Internet cafe in Dublin- Cheers for this Pete

Part 3 is the best.

Where does the carstairs come into it peterolleyes.gif

I'm afraid it didn't make it this time. Though neither did darrell banks 'open the door to your heart', thats because I didn't actually have a copy to hand when I made the recording. If I had have done, it would have been top 10.

Social source share

THE TOP 100 NORTHERN SOUL OLDIES OF ALL TIME - AS CHOSEN BY ME.

IT GETS LONELY SITTING HERE AT HOME GAZING OUT OF THE WINDOW SO TO KILL SOME TIME I DECIDED TO GET ALL MY OLD FAVOURITE RECORDS OUT AND SEE IF I COULD PUT THEM IN SOME ORDER OF FAVOURITISM. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT TASK AS THERE ARE SO MANY ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS TO CHOOSE FROM - BUT I'VE HAD A GO AND COME UP WITH A TOP 100. ANYWAY, I THOUGHT I COULD TURN THESE INTO A 4 OR 5 EPISODE SERIES OF PODCASTS AND IT MIGHT BE FUN FOR PEOPLE TO LISTEN IN AND MAYBE GUESS WHAT'S COMING NEXT, WHAT'S IN THE TOP 10, AND HOW SHIT MY TASTE IN MUSIC IS. SO I DID IT, AND THE FIRST 20 TRACKS ARE NOW AVAILABLE TO LISTEN TO AS A PODCAST.

REMEMBER, IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN, THEY ARE JUST MY FAVOURITE RECORDS, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE SOME KIND OF OFFICIAL CHART!

I ALSO ADDED A FEW 60'S RADIO JINGLES FOR NO REASON REALLY.

P.S. I ONLY BASED IT ON RECORDS I'D GOT ON VINYL, SO LOADS OF FAVOURITES ARE MISSED OUT AS I ONLY HAD THEM ON CD OR MP3

boxing.gif HI PETE This is the start of a selection of 100 Oldies, if you cant read them I will type them inshades.gif

post-13241-12642041451136_thumb.jpg thumbsup.gif #100 is at the top?

Social source share

have always enjoyed your podcasts, always give a good flavour to me about events I was to young to go to while flagging up some records that don't get played and soo should be given an airing now. As well as stuff that's still new to me 'cos of not being there at the time.

There's oldies and then there's some real cracking classics that have just got lost and I hear them in your podcasts. In particular loved the one you did ages ago with the Olympics and the barely recorded backing vocals with no main vocal.

Social source share

My apologies for being a bit thick Pete but how do I get to listen?

I've clicked on the links in two of the posts and all that comes up is a box saying "Invalid address"!!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Does the link take you to the podcast page Drew?

If so, you should see the title, the track list, under the track list should be the 'player' which you just have to click.

If you can't see these things, it's because your web browser is not compatable with the site, and you need to switch to something like mozilla firefox.

If you are using firefox, then f*ck knows!!

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Just been going through these, great podcasts Pete!

I must say that I'm quite surprised by the rankings given to some of those tunes in YOUR Top 100! Seems you've mellowed over the years, and during all the time you've been spending staring out of the window!

Great listen all the same :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Just been going through these, great podcasts Pete!

I must say that I'm quite surprised by the rankings given to some of those tunes in YOUR Top 100! Seems you've mellowed over the years, and during all the time you've been spending staring out of the window!

Great listen all the same :hatsoff2:

Interesting you should say that, but I couldn't stay 18 and love stompers forever :D

Social source share

That sort of thing bugs me a bit because it took hours to put those together with the radio jingles and all that, record them, convert them, ages to put them up, type it all out, let everyone get it all for free and then someone comes along and says it's all sh*t, without explaining why, it just makes me wonder why I - or anyone else who does all this stuff for nothing - bothers.

Social source share

Pete

That sort of thing bugs me a bit because it took hours to put those together with the radio jingles and all that, record them, convert them, ages to put them up, type it all out, let everyone get it all for free and then someone comes along and says it's all sh*t, without explaining why, it just makes me wonder why I - or anyone else who does all this stuff for nothing - bothers.

Pete

I am unable to download these podcasts at work as they are blocked by our Websense filter, however I intend to at home.

I am sure that you need no reassurance re. the quality of your work in putting together your podcasts,but if this helps....great.

Last friday 15 of us went out to celebrate my mate Bruce's 50th in Glasgow, ending up at ' Friday St' for a great night of northern, mod tunes.

As part of his birthday present I gave him a cd of 5 of your podcasts.To a guy without a computer it was like manna from heaven for him who is used to

buying cd's to feed his habit, over 150 new tracks to listen to and absorb. Personally I listen to the podcasts constantly in my car and have ,only this

morning ordered 2 tracks, which will slot into my set perfectly,from one of the podcasts.

As a dj of some 30 years playing the full gamut of 'black music' your work has been a refreshing and educational addition to my musical knowledge.

Keep up the good work and dont let the bastards grind you down.

nick.

Edited by nickp
Social source share

Pete

Pete

I am unable to download these podcasts at work as they are blocked by our Websense filter, however I intend to at home.

I am sure that you need no reassurance re. the quality of your work in putting together your podcasts,but if this helps....great.

Last friday 15 of us went out to celebrate my mate Bruce's 50th in Glasgow, ending up at ' Friday St' for a great night of northern, mod tunes.

As part of his birthday present I gave him a cd of 5 of your podcasts.To a guy without a computer it was like manna from heaven for him who is used to

buying cd's to feed his habit, over 150 new tracks to listen to and absorb. Personally I listen to the podcasts constantly in my car and have ,only this

morning ordered 2 tracks, which will slot into my set perfectly,from one of the podcasts.

As a dj of some 30 years playing the full gamut of 'black music' your work has been a refreshing and educational addition to my musical knowledge.

Keep up the good work and dont let the bastards grind you down.

nick.

Thanks a lot Nick!

Much appreciated.

The podcasts have more or less ground to a halt at the moment which is why I was surprised to find these top 100 ones still on the net, I've got no more space on my other podcasts sites which is why I haven't done any lately. I've got another 4 episodes of "Found in the basement" ready to post up!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert