Tainted Love - Backing Muscians?

Guest stash313

Guest stash313

Tough question I know but was wondering if anybody could give me a list or at least Partial list of who performed as backing muscians on Gloria Jones 'Tainted Love'?

Cheers in advance...

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest REVILOT

Great question and I wish I had the answer - but intersting fact

Ed Cobb, the producer was behind the Piltdown Men instrumental group late fifties - perhaps it was them !!!!

Most likely is any West Coast session men such as Paul Humphrey.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm pretty sure Glen Campbell plays guitar on the track, making the remainder of the musicians likely the nucleus of Phil Spector's Wrecking Crew.

Yes, Glen does play guitar on TL, that is 100% certain. As for the rest, it's Hal Blaine on drums, Lincoln Mayorga on Piano, Carol Kaye on Bass (probably, and if she's not she'll claim it's her anyway!) + other members of the Gold Star Studios sessioneers, sometimes known (as Gareth says) as the Wrecking Crew.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes. He was a session guitarist and played on loads of records as part of the Wrecking Crew. He's a fantastic guitar player (as well as singer obviously). :)

Glen Campbell was the guitarist in the group The Champs , and played lead on their instrumental hit

" Tequila " .

He also played lead guitar on The Monkees " I'm A Believer "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Glen Campbell of 'Rhinestone Cowboy' fame? unsure.gif

Glen Campbell was a member of the Beach Boys for a while - for their live appearances and touring - after Brian Wilson had his "breakdown" in 1964.

I think this was for a year or so - until they brought in Bruce Johnston as a more permanent replacement for Wilson.

BeachBoys.jpg

Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Glen Campbell, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

DUNNO MALC, BUT THEN AGEN I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE NORTHERN CONNECTION WI TAINTED LOVE EITHER:wicked:

DAVE

The " northern " connection is " WL " was produced and arranged by Al De Lory .

What credibility " TL " had , was lost when Soft Cell butchered it .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Out of all of Gloria Jones' NS tunes I think I prefer Come Go With Me anyway

Mick

Agreed : " CGWM " still has the edge for me , whilst sadly for me , " TL " , despite its' stature on the NS , leaves me somewhat cold , as I feel it has no real character .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Glen Campbell was the guitarist in the group The Champs , and played lead on their instrumental hit

" Tequila " .

He also played lead guitar on The Monkees " I'm A Believer "

Malc Burton

Sorry, Malc - wrong on both counts.

Glen did not become a studio member of the Champs until several years after "Tequila". The guitarist on the record is Dave Burgess. I don't think Glen had even moved from Oklahoma to California when "Tequila" was cut...

The backing track for the Monkees' "I'm A Believer" was recorded in New York. The guitarists on the record are almost certainly Hugh McCracken and/or Al Gorgoni on lead and Neil Diamond on acoustic. It's one of the only Monkees tracks for which no 100% accurate session info is available, but those are the guys (or various permutations thereof) who played on all of the other Monkees NY-recorded backing tracks, so the chances of it being anyone other than them are negligible at best.

According to the wealth of information in the booklets of the CD deluxe editions of their original albums, Glen does not seem to have ever played on a Monkees session, as they did not use the musicians of the 'Wrecking Crew' of which he was famously a part.

After their first two albums they played all their own instruments on their sessions anyway (apart from Mickey Dolenz, who did not feel his drumming was of acceptable quality for recording purposes)...

...apologies for wandering off point...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Sorry, Malc - wrong on both counts.

Glen did not become a studio member of the Champs until several years after "Tequila". The guitarist on the record is Dave Burgess. I don't think Glen had even moved from Oklahoma to California when "Tequila" was cut...

The backing track for the Monkees' "I'm A Believer" was recorded in New York. The guitarists on the record are almost certainly Hugh McCracken and/or Al Gorgoni on lead and Neil Diamond on acoustic. It's one of the only Monkees tracks for which no 100% accurate session info is available, but those are the guys (or various permutations thereof) who played on all of the other Monkees NY-recorded backing tracks, so the chances of it being anyone other than them are negligible at best.

According to the wealth of information in the booklets of the CD deluxe editions of their original albums, Glen does not seem to have ever played on a Monkees session, as they did not use the musicians of the 'Wrecking Crew' of which he was famously a part.

After their first two albums they played all their own instruments on their sessions anyway (apart from Mickey Dolenz, who did not feel his drumming was of acceptable quality for recording purposes)...

...apologies for wandering off point...

My apologies Tony , but my source for the information was a GC linked site .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I've always thought one of Glen Campbell's 1965 Capitol singles would be of interest to more broadminded soul fans: "Guess I'm Dumb" is a Brian Wilson production halfway between a soaring uptown ballad and the melodies of what would become the "Pet Sounds" sound. A wonderful record. I don't know if we're allowed to post youtube clips anymore but there's a good one of Campbell performing it on Shindig there.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I've always thought one of Glen Campbell's 1965 Capitol singles would be of interest to more broadminded soul fans: "Guess I'm Dumb" is a Brian Wilson production halfway between a soaring uptown ballad and the melodies of what would become the "Pet Sounds" sound. A wonderful record.

I agree, one of the most beautiful recordings ever in opinion. :thumbsup:

Social source share

" Tequila " .

Malc Burton

It might not be any connection, but the group that Ed Cobb produced, Piltdown Men, have a version of this called "Tequila bossanova". Nice version BTW

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I agree, one of the most beautiful recordings ever in opinion. :thumbsup:

Oh, this is really beautiful. Thanks Gareth for highlighting it and Sebastian for the clip.

I've always loved WL and had the pleasure of seeing GC perform it live at the Hollywood Bowl at the 4th July fireworks concert in 2000. Couldn't get more American. It was like a USA event horizon biggrin.gif

Sorry-way off topic now!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think Jimmy Seals (Yesterday of our love) may have been in The Champs too.

Ali

He was - Seals joined the touring version of the Champs in 1960, a year after Glen Campbell joined. Neither man features on 'Tequila' (obviously) which was recorded in 1958.

While we're still banging on about Glen, here's my favourite by him, just slightly edging out "Guess I'm Dumb". He did this as a session job, Sagittarius was not a real band. I don't usually post links so apologies if doing this contravenes site laws:

Social source share

I saw the documentary on The Wrecking Crew last year and Mickey Dolenz appeared explaining their role. You can see him in the trailer here. The crew did play on a couple of Monkees tracks: Valleri has a few sessioneers backing the Monkees and Mary Mary has both James Burton and Glen Campbell on guitar. You can check the union contract here.

I understand Frank Wilson used the wrecking crew on the Motown Los Angeles sessions including Do I Love you

Social source share

Tough question I know but was wondering if anybody could give me a list or at least Partial list of who performed as backing muscians on Gloria Jones 'Tainted Love'?

Cheers in advance...

hatsoff2.gif I am sure it was a group called "SOFT CELL" with a Geezer who frothed in the mouth cum again Marc Almondboxing.gif Just joshing you ask Ed Cobbph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I saw the documentary on The Wrecking Crew last year and Mickey Dolenz appeared explaining their role. You can see him in the trailer here. The crew did play on a couple of Monkees tracks: Valleri has a few sessioneers backing the Monkees and Mary Mary has both James Burton and Glen Campbell on guitar. You can check the union contract here.

I understand Frank Wilson used the wrecking crew on the Motown Los Angeles sessions including Do I Love you

Seems I stand corrected again - having double checked myself, I see that Glen did indeed play on a couple of Michael Nesmith-produced Monkees tracks from the "More Of The Monkees" sessions, "Mary Mary" being one of them. (But not 'Im A Believer', which was what provoked my first posting).

Burton had played on Nesmith-supervised Monkees sessions dating back to the first album, you can't miss him on "Papa Gene's Blues" for instance.

Funnily enough, Jimmy Seals also sang background vocals on a couple of Monkees tracks, none of which are among the abovementioned.

And that's all she wrote....

Social source share

Tony

I had no idea The Monkees tracks were recorded in New York. I had just assumed filmed in Los Angeles probably recorded there too. I'd forgotten that their music supervisor Don Kirshner was based in New York along with the people who wrote the songs for the Monkees. So thanks for putting me right.

Frank

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony

I had no idea The Monkees tracks were recorded in New York. I had just assumed filmed in Los Angeles probably recorded there too. I'd forgotten that their music supervisor Don Kirshner was based in New York along with the people who wrote the songs for the Monkees. So thanks for putting me right.

Frank

It's mostly tracks for "More Of the Monkees" that were recorded in NY. Kirshner and the group had a big falling out after the first album, mostly instigated by Nesmith, about wanting more input into their own recordings. Kirshner, perhaps understandably, wanted more radio friendly pop from his stable of writers rather than group compositions.

The first album's sessions had been cut in L.A. but Kirshner had hired Jeff Barry as a producer and decided he was going to start cutting the backing tracks for their second album in N.Y. while they were touring to promote the first one. While they were in the middle of their row with Kirshner (which ultimately ended up with his getting the heave-ho) he managed to persuade Davy Jones - who was more pro-Kirshner than the others - to fly out to New York to voice the tracks that he'd cut behind their backs.

"A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" was one of them, and the biggest hit from the sessions. Davy is the only Monkee to appear on that record, and also on a handful of other cuts that either came out on the "More Of" album or years later on one of the expanded CD versions.

Once the group got Kirshner off their backs, they recorded pretty much exclusively in L.A. The only album that they all play on - every track of it - is "Headquarters". Although he was a capable drummer, Mickey Dolenz was not so confident about his abilities as others were and their later albums again feature sessioneers such as Eddie Hoh, the original drummer for the Flying Burrito Brothers, behind the kit.

TONE (Monkees fan, and proud of it!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert