Not Really Authentic Looking Are They ?

Just spotted these non authentic looking titles on Ebay. The seller has a whole host of items on the same logo , dont even look very authentic do they all on same logo . Not even bona fide regular reissues titles .. and look at the selling prices £16.99 ... there s a fool born every minute....

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260530135313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest peter burke

I came across these the other day while doing a search for Tony Daniels.

They need shooting!

Totally agree Joan or at least slapping with a lump hammer.

Fraud with no attempt to disguise it.

Social source share

Just spotted these non authentic looking titles on Ebay. The seller has a whole host of items on the same logo , dont even look very authentic do they all on same logo . Not even bona fide regular reissues titles .. and look at the selling prices £16.99 ... there s a fool born every minute....

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260530135313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

WTF? This is the worst kind of bootlegging I've ever seen :shades::thumbup:

Social source share

they will be djin wth um all over soulniteland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a packer.......heres my set...:shhh: .......only origiinal vynal .........:D .............next month mr promoter will open his set with some new additions to his pile of booted oldies....free cd ..................me .............cynical.............. fraid so :good:

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Apart from the obvious issues here,what i find mad is, that if you just wanted a record to play in your own front room, for example this sellers Gloria Jones -Tainted love https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3ca93de6b3 Then why not just buy a copy on Inferno that is readily available for half the price and with the bonus of Sandy Wynns on the other side !

Edited by trog
Social source share

The refunded owner is Paul Mooney - hope he has reported them to the authorities. Paul is one of a handful of label owners in the uk paying the dues and leasing from actual master tapes .

You can now count on one hand who does this besides Millbrand - Soul Junction, Sticky, Expansion, and Kent are the immediate ones that spring to mind thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've seen this on here before as well and reported them, but like someone else said ebay don't give a toss.

It's interesting going into the buys of some of his buyers and seeing what else they've bought, maybe even identify some of these f**king idiots. laugh.gif

Social source share

Buy all the records and not pay shades.gif

Then you end up with a non paying strike ......a winning bid is a legal binding contract .

You could however fight the case on the grounds that the record is not original ,but is it worth the chew???

Must be a way to spoil it though g.gif

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Then you end up with a non paying strike ......a winning bid is a legal binding contract .

You could however fight the case on the grounds that the record is not original ,but is it worth the chew???

Must be a way to spoil it though g.gif

A second ebay account often comes in useful in these cases.... :rolleyes:

Social source share

A second ebay account often comes in useful in these cases.... :wink:

you buy it then dont pay leaving negative feedback saying sorry did not realise it was a bootwhistling

Social source share

you buy it then dont pay leaving negative feedback saying sorry did not realise it was a bootwhistling

Sure is possible and I've done this before, but these guys can just open a new account and keep on doing what they're doing as long as there's no legal action. And we all know eBay won't do anything about this as long as the money keeps rolling in. Bottom line is... they deserve a lawsuit and let's hope they get it.

Social source share

They are only making and selling them because people are buying them, that's the saddest thing.

I cannot get my head round why people want bootleg vinyl these days.

I can understand 70's bootlegs because vinyl was the medium of the day (until the technical revolution that was the cassette tape).

But why buy 2010 bootlegs? CD's are cheaper, lighter and more convenient, downloads are much cheaper and lighter and much more convenient.

What kind of thrill does anyone get from playing a 2010 bootleg in the comfort of their own home?

Playing them out is bizarre, its like pretending to have something you haven't. And why bother? If you don't have an OVO policy then play the tunes from something more convenient, like a CD or a laptop. I've seen people playing out Motown Yesteryear which I thought was pretty crap but 2010 bootlegs?

I find it wierd. Can anyone explain it?

I can only hope that it is a younger generation who are discovering vinyl and NS at the same time.

Social source share

But why buy 2010 bootlegs? CD's are cheaper, lighter and more convenient, downloads are much cheaper and lighter and much more convenient.

What kind of thrill does anyone get from playing a 2010 bootleg in the comfort of their own home?

You can't touch an mp3. With vinyl, even a carver, you can design a label and play it on your record deck. It's a touchy-feely type thing. I have Dusty Wilson on a carver which I did for myself, it gives me just as much of a siver down the spine as it would if I'd be playing an original. But it's on my deck, which means it's better than a cd or an mp3.

With the bootleggers in question, it's just a case of what strange titles they do and why people would buy a one sided blank instead of a two sided, labelled 70's pressing for half the price.

Social source share

You can't touch an mp3. With vinyl, even a carver, you can design a label and play it on your record deck. It's a touchy-feely type thing. I have Dusty Wilson on a carver which I did for myself, it gives me just as much of a siver down the spine as it would if I'd be playing an original. But it's on my deck, which means it's better than a cd or an mp3.

Yeah, I get the touchy feely thing, I like to know where my music is.

But would I get a shiver down my spine from a bootleg? Maybe only when the "original" is on acetate (which are not real records anyway). I dunno, I'll have to try this out for myself.

I suppose it has to do with what I said about vinyl being the medium of the 70's - people our age are used to it and so prefer it.

I remember when CDs first came out and vinyl was pronounced dead, loads of people slung records and replaced them with the same albums on CD. Motown re-released a load of Albums as 2 on 1 CDs. I liked my vinyl though so didn't bother (I'm tight too).

Social source share

they will be djin wth um all over soulniteland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a packer.......heres my set...shhh.gif .......only origiinal vynal .........biggrin.gif .............next month mr promoter will open his set with some new additions to his pile of booted oldies....free cd ..................me .............cynical.............. fraid so good.gif

Ahem!!!

The CORRECT Term is 100% Vinyl only.yes.gif

The word Original does not feature in their vocabulary

tongue.gif

But, hey what does it matter

So long as the dancers can hear only what they know.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Just wondered if the likes of Ady Croasdell etc would have a case for legal action against Ebay for knowingly selling unlicensed product - ie, they allow the sales to continue when people have brought it to their attention that they are bootlegs etc

There's a fair chance that the fines or compensation levied against a company the size of Ebay would be far greater than those against an individual

Social source share

I came across these the other day while doing a search for Tony Daniels.

They need shooting!

Joan, I remember being threatened via email for saying exactly that about a guy selling carvers of the San Francisco TKO's with coffee stains on the labels making out they were original acetates. Wasn't this shower (I don't think). The guy knew me but I didn't know who he was. When he finally plucked up the courage to front me up at a venue he strangely didn't want to go outside to discuss my views. :):thumbup:

What's more I'd DJed at the same venue as the guy never knowing what he was up to.

The whole scene is full of oddballs trying to make a buck.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Gotta say i don't understand the appeal of owning a carver or bootleg either, just to play at home because it's vinyl. We've all got boots i expect from years ago and carvers. I never play any of the carvers or boots i've got because CDs and PCs allow me to play music at home without using vinyl. If i do play vinyl it's only originals even at home because i get pleasure out of every noise, pop, hiss and sound of the original recording. I don't throw anything away so the boots, sevens, carvers etc... just sit in my box. I can't be arsed to sell them, but maybe i'd be a hypocrite if i did. :yes:

Social source share

Gotta say i don't understand the appeal of owning a carver or bootleg either, just to play at home because it's vinyl. We've all got boots i expect from years ago and carvers. I never play any of the carvers or boots i've got because CDs and PCs allow me to play music at home without using vinyl. If i do play vinyl it's only originals even at home because i get pleasure out of every noise, pop, hiss and sound of the original recording. I don't throw anything away so the boots, sevens, carvers etc... just sit in my box. I can't be arsed to sell them, but maybe i'd be a hypocrite if i did. yes.gif

Well I tried playing the cd on my record deck but couldn't get any sound out of it, so I decided vinyl might be better.

Social source share

The appeal of a carver is that you can play great and unheard, unreleased CD only tracks at vinyl only venues that don't have cd players. There's a big difference between a carver and a boot, because for the majority of people carvers are 'one offs' made for DJ's. For my carvers I've already paid for the CD, and know that the royalties are going to the correct interested parties.

Gotta say i don't understand the appeal of owning a carver or bootleg either, just to play at home because it's vinyl. We've all got boots i expect from years ago and carvers. I never play any of the carvers or boots i've got because CDs and PCs allow me to play music at home without using vinyl. If i do play vinyl it's only originals even at home because i get pleasure out of every noise, pop, hiss and sound of the original recording. I don't throw anything away so the boots, sevens, carvers etc... just sit in my box. I can't be arsed to sell them, but maybe i'd be a hypocrite if i did. yes.gif

Social source share

Just wondered if the likes of Ady Croasdell etc would have a case for legal action against Ebay for knowingly selling unlicensed product - ie, they allow the sales to continue when people have brought it to their attention that they are bootlegs etc

There's a fair chance that the fines or compensation levied against a company the size of Ebay would be far greater than those against an individual

2 or 3 years ago e bay was fined 30 million pounds in france for allowing dodgy designer clothes bags etc to be sold on their site after being constantly told by the big fashion houses ysl gucci etc they were fakes they chose to ignore it hence the fine, they know brag on their home page they spend millions a year in stopping fakes on their site, yet they still allow these to be sold because theu know no one will bring a case against them, hypocrites, e bay should re name itself abba bay(money money money its a rich mans world)

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

hatsoff2.gif JUST CATCHED UP ON THIS ONE-THEY HAVE MADE OVER £2.5K IN A MONTH? I WOULD LIKE THE RODGER HATCHER AS I COULD GLUE IT TO THE PRESIDENT RELEASE, AND SELL IT AS A UKish RARE RELEASE?ph34r.gif DAVE(I,m NOT A MUG)KIL

Social source share

2 or 3 years ago e bay was fined 30 million pounds in france for allowing dodgy designer clothes bags etc to be sold on their site after being constantly told by the big fashion houses ysl gucci etc they were fakes they chose to ignore it hence the fine, they know brag on their home page they spend millions a year in stopping fakes on their site, yet they still allow these to be sold because theu know no one will bring a case against them, hypocrites, e bay should re name itself abba bay(money money money its a rich mans world)

ebay being pursued by large expensive clothing companies is much different than being pursued by relatively small reissue labels and the defunct labels they are reissuing.

also, i don't think people would like the repercussions of a crackdown either, for example, it would probably err on the side of cracking down on legitimate items somehow.

Social source share

Guest steve64

ebay being pursued by large expensive clothing companies is much different than being pursued by relatively small reissue labels and the defunct labels they are reissuing.

also, i don't think people would like the repercussions of a crackdown either, for example, it would probably err on the side of cracking down on legitimate items somehow.

Maybe if the reissue labels got together to take out a join case it would have more impact on ebay. If they do nothing their hard work will keep being ripped off

Social source share

I can't see how they could crack down - there are currently 342,778 record listings across all genres - how could you validate everyone? If they had the experts - they wouldn't have the time. Suspect all designer labels employ people to track down fakes wherever they are sold so do the work for ebay. I'm afraid the only cure here is for 'real' fans to ignore such blatent fakes - and I can't see the point in them - but that's if you care.

Mike

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The appeal of a carver is that you can play great and unheard, unreleased CD only tracks at vinyl only venues that don't have cd players. There's a big difference between a carver and a boot, because for the majority of people carvers are 'one offs' made for DJ's. For my carvers I've already paid for the CD, and know that the royalties are going to the correct interested parties.

I realise that Tim, i didn't mention the playing of carvers at venues. No need to play the carver at home though eh? Because, as you said, you already own the CD. That was my point.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Well I tried playing the cd on my record deck but couldn't get any sound out of it, so I decided vinyl might be better.

Are you saying you put all your CD tracks on vinyl because you don't own a CD player Pete? g.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He has sold 147, judging by his feedback, at £16-99 a time, the guy's making a killing

Social source share

yes thats the point i was making they sh.. themselves now when the big boys growl, but when these are reported as dodgy they ignore, as the people complaing are nobodies they choose to ignore, hence the statement its a rich mans worldthumbup.gif

Social source share

Not a bad return for spending 4 grand on a cutter.

hatsoff2.gif PETE You have just reminded me one of me stories from the past, 1975 involving 1. Disk Cutter 2. 1 ampex 4 track studio recorder 3. 4 or 5 spools of 4 hr BASF studio Tape, oh and the Bob Kubin Cheater LP with "Get out" & a Scotch Folk band The Tannerhill Weavers + the BigYin,ph34r.gif

Social source share

He has sold 147, judging by his feedback, at £16-99 a time, the guy's making a killing

Thats over £2,000 even after Ebay and paypal fees. Unfortunately Ebay 's percentage of vast music sales is merely a small drop in the vast ocean of goods . It probably does not even accounting for 1% of the total daily sales across all categories listed. Hence they have a complete lack of interest in pursuing claims with regard to these vinyl carvers.

The more worrying aspect is supply and demand just who exactly is purchasing these ???

Be interesting if Paul Mooney replies with regard to the neutral feedback left......

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

Yes and she calls herself 'Northern soul sister' on E-Bay. Perhaps we should re-name her 'Northern soul rip off' and definitley not a 'sister' to us on here! wanker.gif

Regards Ricardo. thumbsup.gif

This is the same person selling the Betty O'Brien on E Bay, with the spelling Betty O,Brian :lol:

I have already had a moan at this person for taking my old webite name :shades: that i still own & have paid for, so all they did was just stick 55 on the end :thumbsup:

Debbie x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert