Artists In Film Cameos

• Replies 108
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

DONT KNOW IF DEAN PARRISH WAS IN THE SOPRANOS.FRANKIE VALLI WAS THOUGH .HE WAS BORN IN NEW JERSEY WHERE THE SHOW IS SITUATED.

He was deffo in The Sopranos. Can't recall the episode right now...

Social source share

No, that was Barbara Randolph, not Tammi....

While I'm briefly here, two more for you -

Mary Love, in the Rudy Ray Moore film "Dolemite" - can't remember what she sings but it's something she never recorded.

Laura Lee, in the obscure Blaxploitation film (and Quentin Tarantino fave) "Detroit 9000" - she sings "Touch Me Jesus", an unissued Hot Wax track.

There are others....

Tony, Mary Love's track from the film was in fact recorded and included on the Dolemite LP soundtrack, a fact omitted from virtually every Mary Love discography I have seen.

Social source share

TV mini-series "Ellis Island" featured both Ben Veren and Melba Moore amongst a cast of thousands (Melba of course was a bit of a thesp. but not sure whether Ben appeared in other films).

And I spose we should mention "Live and let die" as well in this section BJ Arnau and Lon Statton.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, Mary Love's track from the film was in fact recorded and included on the Dolemite LP soundtrack, a fact omitted from virtually every Mary Love discography I have seen.

...that's possibly because nobody but you has a copy of the LP, George!laugh.gif

Happy to stand corrected...

Social source share

Robert Cray was definitely the bass player in 'Otis Day & The Nights' in Animal House. I think the Mel Britt reference is apocryphal.

The film appearance of Tony Clarke was supposedly in the Sidney Poitier film "They Call Me Mr Tibbs".

Rhetta Hughes was in "Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song".

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Back to the thread Tenafly and the main character was James McKeachin or something similar. WAS THAT OUR JIMMY MACK on Palmer. I was told this was the case back in the day by I think Rod Shard or maybe Dave Withers?? Anyone.

He appeared a few times in Hill Street Blues as Bobby Hills father. James McEachin ?

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

TV mini-series "Ellis Island" featured both Ben Veren and Melba Moore amongst a cast of thousands (Melba of course was a bit of a thesp. but not sure whether Ben appeared in other films).

Ben Vereen has been in loads of films and TV shows over the past 40 years (e.g. Sweet Charity, Roots, tons more). He's an actor who sings ocasionally, rather than a singer who dabbles in acting.

Social source share

...that's possibly because nobody but you has a copy of the LP, George!:laugh:

Happy to stand corrected...

picked a reissue copy up of the lp a few years ago after seeing the film. not seen an orig copy but must admit not looked that hard.

cheers

phil

ps darktown strutters is bonkers film.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ketty lester and er,the hues corporation,in that epic blacula:unsure::ph34r:

When I first mentioned the Hues Corporation several posts ago, I completely forgot that Ketty had an acting role in Blacula. She's done a few other films and lots of TV, too.

About 2 weeks after Channel Five started I remember seeing a 1970s western one afternoon, with a predominantly black cast that included Freda Payne in an acting role - not a cameo, she was in the whole film as I recall.

I also recall that her performance was really wooden, which might account for her distinct lack of subsequent film roles.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I think Sandra Phillips was in 'Round Midnight' performing under her married name. Not sure if she sang, or it was just a straight acting part though. The latter I would guess.

Social source share

I'll get the hang of this thing soon. A friend of mine sat up most of the night waiting for a film called Paris Blues to start. Seems it does'nt feature Tony Middleton and has nothing to do with us at all.

Tony Middleton has appeared in films and TV. Seem to recall he was in the background of a scene in Desperately Seeking Susun

Cheers

Pat

Social source share

I think Sandra Phillips was in 'Round Midnight' performing under her married name. Not sure if she sang, or it was just a straight acting part though. The latter I would guess.

SP featured as Buttercup in the film , under her full name of Sandra Reaves - Phillips .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Curtis Mayfield appeared in the film "Short Eyes" as well as writing and performing the soundtrack: one of his most underrated albums for me.

I'll second that meanwhile for all the Jazz heads there's plenty of footage of the Chico Hamilton Quintet in ,

The Sweet Smell of Sucess

Due to the ammount of Rosie Greir mentions is it about time to bring up his other claim to fame.......... Needlepoint!:lol:

Social source share

Interesting thread!

Stu Gardner in Point Blank:

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2008/10/stu-gardner-in-night-club-scene-from.html

Also check out this great blog on Blaxploitation movies:

https://www.blaxploitationpride.org/ - you can access a lot of soundtracks - my present fave is a track by Jerry Butler called Love Is from a film called Melinda.

There is a great track on the closing credits of a Russ Meyer movie by an artist who had a big Northern side - as I get older I forget more and more - it has been discussed in the past - anyone recall the artist and the film???

Cheers

Col

Social source share

lots of blacksploitation films have artist appearances. For example, the mack has the sisters love and the ballads performing in a nightclub. i posted some insane footage of john gary williams singing with the newcomers and the dramatics singing in a dungeon (there is another scene of the soul children singing in a nightclub) from an obscure slapstick movie called "darkown strutters". Also, not what you are looking for (as you clarified below) but lots of artists became actors and were actually in films.

Hi Bob

Where did you post the John Gary???

Here's the Dramatics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVqXyiNCq0&feature=related

Wonderful stuff!

Colin

Social source share

Hi Bob

Managed to find the clip of John Gary - amazing!!!!

There are plenty of articles on the movie if you Google and you can still pick copies up!

Cheers

Colin

Social source share

Lance le Galt (I'm breaking through - Palomar) in the Elvis 60s comeback or Vegas vid (tamborine player, not really acting part I suppose) and google says he was also in the A team series!!

Tony Clarke was in something but can't remember what...

Wasn't somebody in Ghostbusters too?

Ray pollard was in Ghostbusters :-)

Social source share

There is a great track on the closing credits of a Russ Meyer movie by an artist who had a big Northern side - as I get older I forget more and more - it has been discussed in the past - anyone recall the artist and the film???

Cheers

Col

Don't recall the movie but think artist is Melvin Elling isn't it?

Social source share

Don't recall the movie but think artist is Melvin Elling isn't it?

Hi Benji

Yeah - Melvin Elling stirs my memory but not the title of the film - it is one of his early ones - it is a good tune and I recall being pissed off with the Channel 4 announcer talking over part of it! Most of his films are available.

Another fascinating track is Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin singing the title song to the Abel Ferrara's The Addiction - a vampire movie released in 1995 - when this was recorded one can only guess and as far as I know there was no soundtrack. I ended up burning a copy from the video many years ago - it only lasts for approx. 2 minutes which is a shame because it is a good song!

Colin

Social source share

Ah, you beat me to Stu Gardner in "Point Blank"! Cool nightclub scene.

Jim Jarmusch's "Mystery Train" has Rufus Thomas, Marvelle Thomas, and Screamin' Jay Hawkins in bit parts.

TV's "The Rockford Files" has Isaac Hayes in a recurring role; in one episode, he's trying to manage a struggling nightclub singer played by Dionne Warwick...and there are even some 45s involved in the plot!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tying two strands of this thread together, both James McEachin and Ketty Lester acted in Jules Dassin's excellent 1968 film "Uptight" - not cameos as such, but we seem to have gotten away from that slightly. Soundtrack by Booker T, of course...

Social source share

If anybody watches Paramount comedy on Sky check out "Becker" starring Ted Danson.

His receptionist called Margaret is played by a certain Hattie Winston. Thinking "Pass me by" on Parkway.

Bifg black lady, late fifties I guess, and she sang in one episode.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert