Artists In Film Cameos

Hi All

Been having a bit of a film fest in the last few weeks. We were watching Thunderball last night and although I have seen it many times, it was the first time I had noticed King Errison doing a small cameo, playing bongos.

A few nights before it was the classic 'French Connection' and the great bar scene with The Three Degrees.

So anymore we should be looking out for.

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tammi Terrell in "Guess Whos Coming To Dinner"

No, that was Barbara Randolph, not Tammi....

While I'm briefly here, two more for you -

Mary Love, in the Rudy Ray Moore film "Dolemite" - can't remember what she sings but it's something she never recorded.

Laura Lee, in the obscure Blaxploitation film (and Quentin Tarantino fave) "Detroit 9000" - she sings "Touch Me Jesus", an unissued Hot Wax track.

There are others....

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Mary Love, in the Rudy Ray Moore film "Dolemite" - can't remember what she sings but it's something she never recorded.

Laura Lee, in the obscure Blaxploitation film (and Quentin Tarantino fave) "Detroit 9000" - she sings "Touch Me Jesus", an unissued Hot Wax track.

There are others....

DELLA REESE PLAYED A SPEAKEASY BOSS IN HARLEM NIGHTS, WITH EDDIE MURPHY

Social source share

Lance le Galt (I'm breaking through - Palomar) in the Elvis 60s comeback or Vegas vid (tamborine player, not really acting part I suppose) and google says he was also in the A team series!!

Tony Clarke was in something but can't remember what...

Wasn't somebody in Ghostbusters too?

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

Hi All

Been having a bit of a film fest in the last few weeks. We were watching Thunderball last night and although I have seen it many times, it was the first time I had noticed King Errison doing a small cameo, playing bongos.

A few nights before it was the classic 'French Connection' and the great bar scene with The Three Degrees.

Dave

Darlene Love in Lethal Weapon(s)

Social source share

Barbara McNair plays Sidney Poitier's wife in the film 'They call me Mr Tibbs'.

The gospel song sung through the opening titles of the film 'Inherit the wind' is performed by Leslie Uggams.

Ketty Lester appeared in numerous episodes of 'Little house on the prairie'.

Once, and this is tenuous, when catching the tail end of a contemporary American medical drama (possibly ER), I saw among the end credits an actress by the name of Anne D'Andrea.

Social source share

There are others....

Tony

Happy new year, where have you been. Ivor put forward the theory that you were researching South American nose flute music, any truth in thatwhistling.gif

Dave

Social source share

Ray Pollard did a bit of cameo acting.

Raymond of Michael & Raymond was/is an actor, or was it Michael?

Barbara McNeir was full-time actor and only part-time singer.

Edit: Dave, sorry didn't see the 'singing performance cameo'

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Melvin Britt was credited on an early 80's/late 70's Kids LP from ( maybe ) Disney. Then about 7/8 years ago another recording artist appeared called Melvin C Britt. He was youngish, could be his son??

Back to the thread Tenafly and the main character was James McKeachin or something similar. WAS THAT OUR JIMMY MACK on Palmer. I was told this was the case back in the day by I think Rod Shard or maybe Dave Withers?? Anyone.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Back to the thread Tenafly and the main character was James McKeachin or something similar. WAS THAT OUR JIMMY MACK on Palmer. I was told this was the case back in the day by I think Rod Shard or maybe Dave Withers?? Anyone.

Not that Jimmy Mack, no - Tenafly was the other one, the west coast guy who was in (I think) the Mark IV and (again I think) the Furys...

Sometime Modern Soul heroes Ron(ey) Canada and Ernie Lee Banks both turn up quite regularly in numerous US nineties and noughties TV dramas, NYPD Blue for example. Not singing, unfortunately, which I guess is the real point of this thread.

To bring us back to Dave's first post, sort of, the great ska/calpyso singer Lord Creator (Kentrick Patrick) appears briefly with Byron Lee and the Dragonaires in "Doctor No", singing "Jump In The Line". He's on screen for all of about three quarters of a minute.

Social source share

Hi All

Dave

lots of blacksploitation films have artist appearances. For example, the mack has the sisters love and the ballads performing in a nightclub. i posted some insane footage of john gary williams singing with the newcomers and the dramatics singing in a dungeon (there is another scene of the soul children singing in a nightclub) from an obscure slapstick movie called "darkown strutters". Also, not what you are looking for (as you clarified below) but lots of artists became actors and were actually in films.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

lots of blacksploitation films have artist appearances. For example, the mack has the sisters love and the ballads performing in a nightclub. i posted some insane footage of john gary williams singing with the newcomers and the dramatics singing in a dungeon (there is another scene of the soul children singing in a nightclub) from an obscure slapstick movie called "darkown strutters".

...Now there's a film I'd pay good money to see. Talking of which, many years ago I did pay good money to see the blaxploitation movie 'Blacula'. A pre-'Rock The Boat' Hues Corporation sang some fairly crap song in a club scene. Can't remember what it was called, but I do remember that the male lead singer was wearing a pair of canary yellow trousers which displayed his manlihood to an almost obscene effect.

I've never looked at bananas in quite the same light from that day to this....

Social source share

...Now there's a film I'd pay good money to see. Talking of which, many years ago I did pay good money to see the blaxploitation movie 'Blacula'. A pre-'Rock The Boat' Hues Corporation sang some fairly crap song in a club scene. Can't remember what it was called, but I do remember that the male lead singer was wearing a pair of canary yellow trousers which displayed his manlihood to an almost obscene effect.

I've never looked at bananas in quite the same light from that day to this....

on the first press of the sparks record on MSR (pre-Cub) it says (as seen in the film "...", I forget the name of the film), implying that the group performs in the film. The sparks was Patrick Adams first group. I would have loved to see patrick adams perform in the group but the film isn't available on DVD. I haven't checked recently on iOffer, though, there is a ton of stuff available on bootleg there, I will try to check tonight.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

James McKeachin AKA James Carmichael producer of many Northern classics ,Fury's and Alexander Patten to name just 2 starred as producer to DJ Clint Eastwood in Play Misty For Me.

James McEachin and James Carmichael are two different people. So, come to that, are James McKeachin (that well known soulful spelling mistake) and James Carmichael...

Social source share

Real-Thing-8.jpgthe%20bitch%20320x240.jpg

Who can forget Liverpools finest , The Real Thing , singing Can You Feel The Force in the nightclub scene !! whistling

Nowadays we all buy the soundtrack for The Drifters - Pour Your Little Heart Out , happy days shades

BUT I prefer Herbie Hancock - I thought It Was You , well ahead of his time thumbsup.gif

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

A few mentions earlier in this thread for Leslie Uggams,She played a major role in the TV mini series Roots a few years ago she played the part of Kizzy I think she was Kunta Kinte's wife??

DID SHE SING GOING BACK TO MY ROOTSwhistling

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What do you mean Liverpools finest??? Chris Amoo on the left is from my home town of Widnes which is at least 13 miles away from Scouseland :yes:

And did you know that one year his dog (an Afghan) actually won Best In Show at Cruffts! thumbsup.gif

THATS A VERY UNKIND COMMENT JUST COS SHE IS FROM KABUL:wicked:

Social source share

Hi All

Dave

HERES A COUPLE :

TONI BASIL - Breakaway IN EASYRIDER

LESTER TIPTON - This won't change IN THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY

DAVE RIMMER in THE HILLS HAVE EYES

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!