Tomangoes

Ok

Records from 1963 to 1973 are oldies.

Almost anything from 1974 up to now are modern.

Hold on, a 36 year old record is modern? Yeah right.

Lets lift the bar and call oldies, ancients, and modern up to 2000 are oldies, and past 2001 modern for another 5 years, then review again.

Time marches on !!

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok

Ed

Agree with matt on this one. It's all about finding new quality records. There's some great stuff being turned up on the Rnb scene.

There are Still lots quality records out there being found that fit into that category of 1960-70 that you wouldn't call oldies :no: .

My theory is:

Modern is Shite :wicked:

Social source share

I don't think any one could disagree with that.

I think we should be looking at ways of policing this and possible agree to a list of punishments?

I am not advocating vigilantes but we have a situation that in 2010 seams to have spiraled out of control with little to know one doing anything about it, yes we have the snippy post here on Soul Source but is this doing anything other than making the post author come across as being a bit of a wet?

Let's get fair but firm with this people.

Community policing or neighborhood policing has been tested against anti social behavior on the streets but we need to organize some thing with a bit more teeth for our problem and what about some sort of badge or uniform?

I will start on the uniform design later today, I am now quite exited about this project and I think "Tomatoes" has hit the nail squarely on its head, well done.

Here is a design I kinda like, comments?

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Makes sense to me,

Last millenium = old.

This millenium = new.

There'd be some unhappy bunnies going to new-style 'Oldies Nights' :laugh:

Social source share

Ok

Hold on, a 36 year old record is modern? Yeah right.

Lets lift the bar and call oldies, ancients, and modern up to 2000 are oldies, and past 2001 modern for another 5 years, then review again.

Time marches on !!

Ed

Why would you want to rename defined styles and accepted meanings ?

"Modern Soul" is the term given to the genre/style, in the same way that the term "Northern Soul" is............

"Oldies" is a term applied to tunes that have been long played on any part of the scene, and bears no relation to the recording date......

... a recently discovered 60's tune is not an oldie....no.gif

..."Northern" has no geographical meaning, and like wise "Modern" and Oldie have no chronological meaning.....

...but I think you already knew that.glare.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

"Modern Soul" is the term given to the genre/style, in the same way that the term "Northern Soul" is............

"Oldies" is a term applied to tunes that have been long played on any part of the scene, and bears no relation to the recording date......

..."Northern" has no geographical meaning, and like wise "Modern" and Oldie have no chronological meaning.....

100% right Cliff

Maybe there should be a glossary on the site for newcomers.

Social source share

Well summed up and eloquently put. Fuss about nothing in my view.sleep3.gif

Social source share

How does time march on? The question is in the 'how'

Sorry to get all philosophical but as has already been said, 'recent' doesn't equate to 'modern' on the soul scene as I understand it. I'd like to think that there's a whole lot more shakin' going on, on the soul scene, than a dry dictionary definition of words, and that we have a language that's part of our special subculture that has developed in its own unique way.

Recent /modern = newly released, oldies = old records / songs / tracks laid down some timeago – for me that would constitute a very dry dictionary definition of oldie vs modern? We have our own sub cultural colloquial history and long may it continue.

While I'm at it , 'time marches on' suggests progression. And for me, old 1960's newies fit that category too. Don't you just love northern soul conundrums?

And what's wrong with having more fluid categories, Y2K, jump blues, deep soul, acid jazz, two step, soulful house and all the other morphs and mutations… why does it all have to be pre and post? Oldies and modern? Isn't there more texture to soul than that? Isn't soul a broad spectrum? Where else would we use the term 'modern oldie' and it would make perfect sense?

Apologies for eating a thesauraus before I posted this…

Edited by marge
Social source share

Spot on Cliff...

...and "Crossover" for all the fuzzy bits that bridge the voids ..:ohmy:

Social source share

Wrong

absolutely wrong. "New" means recently broken on the scene, not recently released by a record company. "Old" means been around on the scene a long time. Paradoxically, this means that a "modern" sound can be an oldie, but a 1960s sound can be a "newie".hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert