The Belles - Don't Pretend (mirwood)

Guest Rowly

Guest Rowly

Just got a lovely Minty copy thru today.

Girl group perfection? Quite possibly, in my 'umble opinion!

I is a happy bunny today! :unsure::thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Excellent tune and getting a lot of spin's again. I bought my copy of butch about a year ago for £15, think it's about £25 now though

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Excellent tune and getting a lot of spin's again.  I bought my copy of butch about a year ago for £15, think it's about £25 now though

link

I think its overplayed already. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Excellent tune and getting a lot of spin's again.  I bought my copy of butch about a year ago for £15, think it's about £25 now though

link

Didn't you blag a copy off me at Prestatyn this year???? :angry:

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

Guest BIGBOY

Thought it worked really well as an instrumental too and during the overload of Mirwood tracks that surfaced back in '74, it really stood out.  Dancers loved it.

link

interestingly the instrumental to dont pretend was huge, it was a monster for me at Sams and Wigan.

The version I played was the cut from Simon, this was the version without all the strings, cos when he booted it he added strings so the handful of acetates became rather unique. Had this conversation with Pete Smith last year, never see those few acetates at all now. What a tune................

bigboy

Social source share

Guest BIGBOY

if you like the belles but consider it over played may I suggest another nice ditty

Talk of the grapevine - donaldheight.................now your talking........

Social source share

Guest Rowly

manship has a mirwood for £40 and an action for £150

nice tune

Davie

link

Yup I coughed £40 to Mr. Oven Chips for it. Worth everypenny tho I reckon.

The Mrs. reckons it's overplayed now tho... I aint stopped since i got it home....

Clever eh? Get records sent to work so I can smuggle them in without her knowing... then play ' em to death the minute i walk in the door..... :rolleyes::shades:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Pah. Just cos you heard me play it at SITC the other month. Well, i think you were still there, you did your Stu disappearance act  :)

link

I only had time for one pint, I legged it when I saw you heading for the decks. whistling.gif

Social source share

I only had time for one pint, I legged it when I saw you heading for the decks.  :)

link

1 Pint you tight bas*ard ! Dave wasn't on till about 10 oclock & you managed to

sneak in free at 1 minute to 7pm whistling.gif

Social source share

if you like the belles but consider it over played may I suggest another nice ditty..Talk of the grapevine - donaldheight.................now your talking........

link

Donald H-found this on Jayboy, in a local shop..Re 'Don't Pretend'-brilliant track-idea-when a track passes to the 'overplayed' category, does that really mean.....

..that they can't dance to it anymore?????? whistling.gif

Social source share

Donald H-found this on Jayboy, in a local shop..Re 'Don't Pretend'-brilliant track-idea-when a track passes to the 'overplayed' category, does that really mean.....

..that they can't dance to it anymore?????? rolleyes.gif

link

I've always thought this terminology is very odd, what is overplayed to one person, maybe underplayed to another......don't make sense to me.

I've just dug my copy of the Belles out and given it a blast, and yes it sounds great... :)

Social source share

I agree a bad use of words............ put it this way there's one off records I hear played out more than something like out on the floor, so what is over played really? it is all down to where you go and who is DJing

Bad analogy with that record but you know what I mean eh

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Bad analogy with that record but you know what I mean eh

link

rolleyes.gif:)

As my grandmother always used to say, one man's meat is another man's vegge burger. She was very senile.

Social source share

I've always thought this terminology is very odd, what is overplayed to one person, maybe underplayed to another......don't make sense to me.

I've just dug my copy of the Belles out and given it a blast, and yes it sounds great... biggrin.gif

link

If you go out every week and hear the same records every week then they are over played and due a rest, if you don't go out every week then you should get out more rolleyes.gif:D:)

Social source share

interestingly the instrumental to dont pretend was huge, it was a monster for me at Sams and Wigan.

The version I played was the cut from Simon, this was the version without all the strings, cos when he booted it he added strings so the handful of acetates became rather unique. Had this conversation with Pete Smith last year, never see those few acetates at all now. What a tune................

bigboy

link

I've still got that acetate if anyone wants to hear it

Social source share

Guest rachel

That's weird, it never came out on Action!

Sold a white Mirwood demo for 40 or 50 recently though.

link

'Very very' rare New Zealand Action according to Mr Manship.

Social source share

This linked to another thread on various arstist albums.

I have Dont pretend on a US VJ label which has most of the Mirwood collection on it including the Belles Yellow VJ label. Unfortunately no cover. Paid $10 for it 6 months ago

Anyone know of this album or what the cover looked like!

Social source share

This linked to another thread on various arstist albums.

I have Dont pretend on a US VJ label which has most of the Mirwood collection on it including the Belles Yellow VJ label. Unfortunately no cover. Paid $10 for it 6 months ago

Anyone know of this album or what the cover looked like!

link

No. You are making it up. yes.gif

Social source share

No. You are making it up.  :shades:

link

All very covoluted but Vee Jay and Mirwood stuff wasd reissued on some Joy albums in the US and UK and Joy was one of the President group of labels along with Jay Boy. Some Vee Jay stuff came out on some UK President 45's too and some Mirwood came out on UK JayBo y and President and..... oh who cares..you sort it out. I've got a headache now. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert