• Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

'you turn me on' is the flip side of 'What'

lookin at the photo's i'd say thats one and the same

The ep is 1983 release, she looks younger on the cover than she does in pics from the 60s coupled with the fact that she had no success in the 60s seems unlikely (tho not impossible) that she would still be recording in the 80s

Social source share

cant remember the photo of js in echoes but heres one from youtube sorry but imo the tune is pretty dire,!!!same judy street,????,unsure.gifph34r.gif

voice judy street yes?....picture...DEFINITELY NO....this is tina mason, who also recorded "what" on the "something wonderful" lp u.s. only. check out photo on raresoulman - rarest of rare page.

rob.h

Social source share

voice judy street yes?....picture...DEFINITELY NO....this is tina mason, who also recorded "what" on the "something wonderful" lp u.s. only. check out photo on raresoulman - rarest of rare page.

rob.h

rob,had a look on rsm site rob but i cant find the binkin photo,!!!unsure.gifph34r.gif
Social source share

rob.h

The photos on Tina Masons LP are of Judy Street

I don't know why that happened, but John Manship may be able to throw some light onto that - It was from one of his notes when he had the LP in stock / auction years ago, that I picked that bit of info up.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

The photos on Tina Masons LP are of Judy Street

I don't know why that happened, but John Manship may be able to throw some light onto that - It was from one of his notes when he had the LP in stock / auction years ago, that I picked that bit of info up.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

hi mick,

has anyone ever conducted research on how the sleeve notes marry up to the pic yet this confusion persists, even after the same pic was printed in kev roberts 500 book.personally im convinced it is tina mason as the 2008 cd compilation released through cherry red has a concise booklet displaying various photos of ms.mason and consideration has to be given to the fact that this album was supervised by david axelrod plus the various tv appearances. it would be a bit foolhardy of anyone to try and pull the wool over the eyes of capitol records by having someone else pose as their latest protege, even in 1966....still as you and i know, this is fascinating piece of history, that only the northern soul scene can throw up!....and THIS VERSION is far superior to judy streets despite what happened to that at wigan. mick, if you have a sound clip, put it up on soul source and let people judge which version they prefer.

Social source share

hi mick,

has anyone ever conducted research on how the sleeve notes marry up to the pic yet this confusion persists, even after the same pic was printed in kev roberts 500 book.personally im convinced it is tina mason as the 2008 cd compilation released through cherry red has a concise booklet displaying various photos of ms.mason and consideration has to be given to the fact that this album was supervised by david axelrod plus the various tv appearances. it would be a bit foolhardy of anyone to try and pull the wool over the eyes of capitol records by having someone else pose as their latest protege, even in 1966....still as you and i know, this is fascinating piece of history, that only the northern soul scene can throw up!....and THIS VERSION is far superior to judy streets despite what happened to that at wigan. mick, if you have a sound clip, put it up on soul source and let people judge which version they prefer.

Also there's an H.B. Barnum connection as H.B. was a Capital in-house producer at the time hence the probable reason why the Tina Mason version was recorded.

I found the first copy of Judy Street less than 1/2 a mile from the Capital Records building in L.A. too! If H.B. Barnum hadn't been on the credits I may well have passed it by as it was in amongst 1000's of Pop crap (which a lot of people would argue is exactly what "What" is LOL........)

Ian D :D

Social source share

as it was in amongst 1000's of Pop crap (which a lot of people would argue is exactly what "What" is LOL........)

Ha Ha yes indeed Ian both versions so it's not a soul v pop dancer preference but pop v pop so as a pop tune played on the northern IMO it comes down to dance potential. Leaving aside the pop/soul thing (& anyway I defy anyone on the northern scene to say they've never danced to a record by a white singer?) who can deny the sheer exhuberance of uptempo dancability of the Judy Street version against the more restrained dull version of Tina Mason who sings flat ?

Thats my opinion anyway ...Happy new year thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert