Top Tips For 2010

Hi all,

Exactly 12 months since we did the last 'Top Tips' thread... and therefore 24 months since the previous - and 36 months since the first :yes: - so, as it's now become a Soul Source tradition, here we go again!

Here's your opportunity to tip the tunes in your box for future greatness during the coming year... or simply list any number that you'd like to recommend to other Soul Sourcers.

You might be a DJ with that tasty unplayed, unknown, hardly played or semi-known 45 stuck in the back of your box that you'd love to play... but haven't quite got around to it... yet!

You might be a collector, sitting on a tune that you know, if it got into the right hands, could become massive in the next 12 months.

It could be an LP track that, for whatever reason, has never been given the recognition it deserves.

It might be a tasty 'B' side that, given the right exposure, might just have what it takes to become a monster!

No need to post sound clips. Just let us know what you've got that you think deserves a plug in the coming year!

So come on. Look at your box and let's have your top tip (or tips) for 2010.

Oh... and a Happy (and Soulful) New Year to all.

The best is yet to come!

:thumbup:

Sean Hampsey

For interest, the 2007, 2008 & 2009 threads can be found here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?//topic/63228-top-tips-for-2008-look-at-your-box/

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

• Replies 226
  • Views 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sean.... the links for 2007 and 2008 don't work mate....

Try these thumbsup.gif ....

2007:

2008: https://www.soul-sour...ok-at-your-box/

nancy wilson.. here it comes ..capitol records , fantastic "ten bobber" thats been overlooked for far to long.......diddy.................oh its not in refosoul either ,come to think of it stylistics .....heavy fallin out ....avco aint there also ,string laden masterpiece that you can buy for less than a pint in the 100 club:whistling:

Social source share

nancy wilson.. here it comes ..capitol records , fantastic "ten bobber" thats been overlooked for far to long.......diddy.................oh its not in refosoul either ,come to think of it stylistics .....heavy fallin out ....avco aint there also ,string laden masterpiece that you can buy for less than a pint in the 100 club:whistling:

this is amazing. I listened to this stylistics record not 10 ten minutes ago for the first time in ages and also thought it sounded brill. 2 good sides for a record i picked up for 50p at leeds market last year. For me the record that is seriously underated and should be played more is the controllers ' is that long enough for you' on President. Also think The Precisons ' New York City' on ATCO is a go'er.

Social source share

Jonathon Jeremiah 'What's A Guy Got To Do' - fully-orchestrated Modern goodness from a UK talent, simply brilliant imo and one of my favourite tunes from the latter end of 2009 that appears to have slipped under the radar.

Ditto that Mike, big in my front room, unusual picture cover and a 10" too which makes it

an overall unusual and collectable piece, was very limited on vinyl on its release,

think it is deleted now as those that had it have not been able to re-stock, beautiful record

all round, Rick

Social source share

The unissued Sam Dees track 'Running Out Of Places To Hide that Bob Jones is spinning seems to be getting talked about by those who have heard it.

Bet that's got you sat up Seanyes.gif

Great thread BTW fella & thanks for starting it up for the last few years. Always the highlight of the new year on here for myself & many others I'm suregood.gif

Social source share

One for me that could go massive in any R&B room:

Bobby Marchan - Funny Style - Dial

Not unknown, but I'm amazed this is not a classic yet.. it's got everything, rhythm'n'soul perfection from '65! You should be able to find one for 30£ or less, give it a listen in the refosoul section!

Social source share

Lovely stuff Nev,

Rod Dearlove used to have.

It's William Bollinger by all accounts.

Just right for now mate!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Correct ,Willie on vocals ..label scan is on my profile ....the flip is the one i posted in "sweet and deep,any day of the week" under the name of Willie Bollinger.

Strangley the guy i bought it off was pushing the flip side , was aware of the IYSBM ,but actually thought the "just loving you" would sell it betterohmy.gif

Thanked him for that cos i think it saved me a few bobthumbsup.gif

I wondered if anyone else had ever had it ,someone on here told me Soul Sam had mentioned it a few yrs back ,but did'nt have a copy himself??

Only other copy went on Tim Brown's auction a couple of yrs back ,to a top bloke on here ,who at this present moment does'nt djno.gif

Social source share

Another one ,and thankfully a cheapie ,that is probably already well known but not getting much turntable action it deserves is this little beauty

https://www.youtube.c...3D0E0D&index=27

Finally cracked how to post a youtube thumbup.gif

Brilliant I love this one too , bought it when it first got issued via Rod at Voices , excellent choice , and the flips a deep Soul gem .Best,Eddie

Social source share

Kenneth & Delory with Ben Brown & Mojo Supreme Ensemble - Let Me Hold You Close Pt1 - Steeltown

Hi Chalky,

I was expecting this to really take off last year, but despite a few plays it never really seemed to catch on. Brilliant record and deserves to get a lot more attention.....let's hope that 2010 sees it on a lot more playlists :shhh:

irma routen-i will sacrifice -mgm proper nighter tune..thumbsup.gif

Been looking for one of these ever since you put the soundfile in the 60s thread Steve.....zero luck in finding one though :lol:. Great stuff good.gif.

Couple from me that I've got high hopes for in 2010:

Keith & Billie - Tastes Sour Don't It c/w If You Move You Lose - Piccadilly.

UK only double sider that sounds the business out loud....thanks to Mr Fingers for giving me the tip on this.

Jo Ann Garrett - What'cha Been Doing - Duo

Love this, it's got the lot! Not unknown but def underplayed.

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

I was expecting this to really take off last year, but despite a few plays it never really seemed to catch on. Brilliant record and deserves to get a lot more attention.....let's hope that 2010 sees it on a lot more playlists thumbsup.gif

Been looking for one of these ever since you put the soundfile in the 60s thread Steve.....zero luck in finding one though :angry:. Great stuff :good:.

UK only double sider that sounds the business out loud....thanks to Mr Fingers for giving me the tip on this.

Adam.Stop it with the Jo Ann Garrett.Everyone will want one:laugh: Happy New Year mate.

Social source share

Adam.Stop it with the Jo Ann Garrett.Everyone will want one:lol: Happy New Year mate.

:lol:

Everyone should want one cos it's superb.....but why should we care, we've already got it :shhh:laugh.gif. Happy New Year to you as well mate good.gif

Social source share

IRMA ROUTEN-I WILL SACIFICE-MGM

Title: i will sacrifice

Posted info:the track i allready put in refosoul wasent playing the right tune...

Social source share

Jimmy Raye - "That'll get it" on Moonshot.Love this tune,courtesy of Steve Green tip. Its in Refosoul.

I give it a spin whenever it fits the set.

brilliant tune:thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

I was expecting this to really take off last year, but despite a few plays it never really seemed to catch on. Brilliant record and deserves to get a lot more attention.....let's hope that 2010 sees it on a lot more playlists thumbsup.gif

Been looking for one of these ever since you put the soundfile in the 60s thread Steve.....zero luck in finding one though :angry:. Great stuff :good:.

Keith & Bilie so versatile pitch it up 2 bars and it,s a Northern Classic mould but keep it at normal and it,s just right for today. Thanks Adam for parting with your spare copy, I will give it some welly this year.

Edited by Pat Wallace
Social source share

Here's how the list is looking on day one!

1. Jonathon Jeremiah - What's A Guy Got To Do - Island 10"

2. Nancy Wilson - Here It Comes - Capitol

3. Stylistics - Heavy Fallin Out - AVCO

4. Kenneth & Delory With Ben Brown & Mojo Supreme Ensemble - Let Me Hold You Close Pt1 - Steeltown

5. Controllers - Is That Long Enough For You' - President

6. The Precisons - New York City - ATCO

7. Bill Brantley - You Baby - SS7

8. Sam Dees - Running Out Of Places To Hide - Unissued

9. Small Society - Just Loving You

10. Bobby Marchan - Funny Style - Dial

11. Irma Routen- I Will Sacrifice -MGM

12. Jo Armstead - Got My Taste - Preacher Rose

13. Sebastian Williams - I Don't Care What Mama Said - Ovide

14. Keith & Billie - Tastes Sour Don't It C/W If You Move You Lose - Piccadilly

15. Jo Ann Garrett - What'cha Been Doing - Duo

16. Jimmy Raye - That'll Get It - Moonshot.

17. Betty Wright - Circle Of Heartbreak - Alston

18. Roy Lee Johnson - Boogaloo No. 3 - Action

Some very tidy tracks in there.

Nice to see a good bunch of 'quality' Soul music in the mix too!

The future's looking bright :thumbup:

Anymore for anymore?

Thanks for all contributions thus far.

:P

Sean

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

One i've been spining at home & i don't think is geting plays or is it?. i think could go big is Chuck Edwards "i don;t want no company" rene 5050B a northern sound thats just right for today IMO.

CHUCK EDWARDS - I DON'T WANT NO COMPANY -

post-4570-12624305844906_thumb.jpg

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert