Chino Feaster On Strakers

I've heard that horn riff on another record...............maybe they "borrowed" it from that............................... or vice versa :D

Cheers Paul

Hi Paco,i would not know but its penned by the artist on the label.....hope you and Mandy had a good xmas/new year.Ken

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've never heard it before. My thoughts: It's pretty good but nondescript. Mostly by-the-numbers funky soul, with no catchy hook, undistinguished vocals, predictable/generic changes--except for that weird bridge. Kind of picks up for me when the wah-wah kicks in around 2:10!!!

Cheers Weingarden :D

Social source share

Sounds like it's white and from Texas....teardrop records or summit like? the germs??

Dont know his ethnicity but i think he's black ? sure everyone will tell us when someone tell us who it is !!,no not the Germs or teardrops Posstot.:unsure:

Social source share

Very reminiscent of a James Brown 'warm up' thing - the sort of tune the band would do before the main act comes on.

Pretty so so for me though - I wouldn't go dashing up to the decks to find out what it wasunsure.gif

Sorry Ken, but that's just my opinionbiggrin.gif

Cheers John,be a sad and dull world if we all liked the same stuff..........biggrin.gif still on the whole a success on here,even burned the rubber of someones zimmer biggrin.gif 700 listens and still unknown.

ANYONE LIKE THIS - OR TO FAST AND FURIOUS - WHAT DO YOU THINK -

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thanks for sharing Ken, always keen to hear something new, but this is not my idea of either soul or northern ( in all it's guises) so put my vote in the "don't want it, even if it's free" column,

sorry mate.

Never said its was northern or soul,if thats what you thought i was peddling i'm sorry.............but the northern scene is definitly getting funky.

Social source share

It may not be "northern," but how can you say it's not soul?? That's a real head-scratcher IMO. Of course it's soul.

Yeh i always thought there was no n/soul rules,be it latin;modern,r&b,beat ballads,black,white,good,bad,novelty,instrumental and funk its always gone through fazes.......except calypso,no chance,i aint never heard a shuffler without any funk in it,in it !!

I need a name or its total obscurity for me sad.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Never said its was northern or soul,if thats what you thought i was peddling i'm sorry.............but the northern scene is definitly getting funky.

And about time too, glare.gif Happy new year to ya Kengood.gif

Social source share

Ken, no need to apologise mate, perhaps I should, I could definately have written it better, and my only excuse is that it was late. What I'm trying to say is my personal taste extends only to what I consider to be Northern and/or Soul, it doesn't include, for example, the whole of jazz or country and western, although I can see some tunes that fit into those categories have merit, and as we all know some have drifted into the world of northern. I wasn't saying you said it was Northern, I'm saying if any tune doesn't fit into what my narrow view of good music is, then generally I don't like it ( in other words if I like it, it's Northern. If I don't like it then it can't be Northern :-) Sorry, came over all fascist dictator then didn't I :-)

My personal definition is exactly that, mine, and it should differ to anyone else's who's had a different Northern experience to me. I'm not asking anyone else to agree with my definition, neither am I apologising for it.

I have almost no snobbery about my defin ition of Northern ( or good :-) From whatever date to whatever date, I don't mind. To me it's totally immaterial, just so long as it has "that sound", which is my poor excuse at not being able to put into words the core element that all northern tunes have. Folk can splinter it into categories and call it R'n'B, Crossover, Beat Ballads,Modern, Tex-Mex, Latin, Stompers, Mid-Tempo, Blue Eyed, 2K, Detroit, etc but to me it all has that 'effect' on me. That effect hasn't really changed greatly since I started collecting. (The fly in this particular ointment is when we come to define Soul in it's non Northern meaning. Will you let me off with " it speaks to something inside of me", which is similar but different to how Northern does it?)

By my lights I believe that no matter who plays it, or at what venue certain music gets played, it simply cannot be Northern, so of course there are rules. I used to say the definition of Northern was simply that it was played in a Northern venue, until somebody pointed out that a number of jokes have been played by dj's who were having a laugh. Just imagine some clever sod playing Abba's Dancing Queen and using the 'no rules' excuse ( but if Abba had made a great stomper, what then? It'd be played c/u until somebody found out who it was I guess, then all the folk who'd been filling the floor to it would come out and say " Nah, not me, never liked it, knew it was european disco" :-)

You might by now be wondering why I've bothered with all this typing, well it was to get to this point - I gave up smoking several years back after smoking for about forty years. In recent times I find I spend time outside with the smokers. This is not because I like to stand in the freezing cold. cold and standing are two major pain triggers for my illness. This is because some of my favourite dj's ever have programmed certain tunes that I fear may eventually drive me away from the scene. It's a shame because I've always championed newies and pushing the boundaries, right from the pre Wigan days I always wanted to hear the next hot new thing, but everybody has a line and some recent things have crossed the line. I go outside, I now realise, because it upsets me to see and hear some of my heroes doing it.

....that way nobody see's my tears...

(btw Ken, earlier somebody said it sounded like a bands 'warming up the crowd' type tune and I think that's towards accurate, though it does remind me a bit like the Stafford thing on Blackjack, red label, Number 3 thingy, but without the Stafford edge if you know what I mean. I wouldn't define this as Funk, I thought Funk had to hit hard on the first stroke of the four? perhaps somebody can put me right? Is it a new definition of Funky Northern ? or is it that I just don't know anything at all, either about categories or about soul? ....I'll get my coat... I might be a while....)

Social source share

Ken, no need to apologise mate, perhaps I should, I could definately have written it better, and my only excuse is that it was late. What I'm trying to say is my personal taste extends only to what I consider to be Northern and/or Soul, it doesn't include, for example, the whole of jazz or country and western, although I can see some tunes that fit into those categories have merit, and as we all know some have drifted into the world of northern. I wasn't saying you said it was Northern, I'm saying if any tune doesn't fit into what my narrow view of good music is, then generally I don't like it ( in other words if I like it, it's Northern. If I don't like it then it can't be Northern :-) Sorry, came over all fascist dictator then didn't I :-)

My personal definition is exactly that, mine, and it should differ to anyone else's who's had a different Northern experience to me. I'm not asking anyone else to agree with my definition, neither am I apologising for it.

I have almost no snobbery about my defin ition of Northern ( or good :-) From whatever date to whatever date, I don't mind. To me it's totally immaterial, just so long as it has "that sound", which is my poor excuse at not being able to put into words the core element that all northern tunes have. Folk can splinter it into categories and call it R'n'B, Crossover, Beat Ballads,Modern, Tex-Mex, Latin, Stompers, Mid-Tempo, Blue Eyed, 2K, Detroit, etc but to me it all has that 'effect' on me. That effect hasn't really changed greatly since I started collecting. (The fly in this particular ointment is when we come to define Soul in it's non Northern meaning. Will you let me off with " it speaks to something inside of me", which is similar but different to how Northern does it?)

By my lights I believe that no matter who plays it, or at what venue certain music gets played, it simply cannot be Northern, so of course there are rules. I used to say the definition of Northern was simply that it was played in a Northern venue, until somebody pointed out that a number of jokes have been played by dj's who were having a laugh. Just imagine some clever sod playing Abba's Dancing Queen and using the 'no rules' excuse ( but if Abba had made a great stomper, what then? It'd be played c/u until somebody found out who it was I guess, then all the folk who'd been filling the floor to it would come out and say " Nah, not me, never liked it, knew it was european disco" :-)

You might by now be wondering why I've bothered with all this typing, well it was to get to this point - I gave up smoking several years back after smoking for about forty years. In recent times I find I spend time outside with the smokers. This is not because I like to stand in the freezing cold. cold and standing are two major pain triggers for my illness. This is because some of my favourite dj's ever have programmed certain tunes that I fear may eventually drive me away from the scene. It's a shame because I've always championed newies and pushing the boundaries, right from the pre Wigan days I always wanted to hear the next hot new thing, but everybody has a line and some recent things have crossed the line. I go outside, I now realise, because it upsets me to see and hear some of my heroes doing it.

....that way nobody see's my tears...

(btw Ken, earlier somebody said it sounded like a bands 'warming up the crowd' type tune and I think that's towards accurate, though it does remind me a bit like the Stafford thing on Blackjack, red label, Number 3 thingy, but without the Stafford edge if you know what I mean. I wouldn't define this as Funk, I thought Funk had to hit hard on the first stroke of the four? perhaps somebody can put me right? Is it a new definition of Funky Northern ? or is it that I just don't know anything at all, either about categories or about soul? ....I'll get my coat... I might be a while....)

That was an awfully long winded way to say it's rubbish :wicked:

I'd have done it for you..

Social source share

That was an awfully long winded way to say it's rubbish :wicked:

I'd have done it for you..

Yep,if you dont like something you just dont like it no big deal but if i had to sit out with the smokers i would stop in. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Not my cup of tea Ken......had and moved it on yonks ago, but this one stayed....and I think answers the question on whether he's black.....yes.gif

CHINO FEASTER - YOU'RE SO MUCH WOMAN -

How come you never un-covered it then ? tongue.gif your so much woman is a bit expencive though isnt it and known.

CHINO FEASTER - DONT YOU KNOW BABY - STRAKERS -

Social source share

How come you never un-covered it then ? tongue.gif your so much woman is a bit expencive though isnt it and known.

I bought my copy off of Jim Tennant in the late 80's (it was a Shotts spin) and sold it almost immediately afterwards. I didn't listen to it until you posted the actual details, which prompted a distant and dark memory of it. I thought I'd jsut check it to see if the years had improved it..............they hadn't .......laugh.gif

As for "You're So Much Woman" being known......nobody said it wasn't...no.gif ...and not that expensive either for the quality you get...

Social source share

Now you've uncovered it I've just realised where I heard it - I've got the bugger somewhere in the loft.

Dopey twat.

Give you a tenner for it.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Anybody know what the one for bids went for,no one intrested till i uncovered it then 7 bidders last time i looked.ta Ken

Social source share

Anybody know what the one for bids went for,no one intrested till i uncovered it then 7 bidders last time i looked.ta Ken

No one then,why do i find that hard to believe ?! biggrin.gif

Social source share

10 Bids,sold for £17.33,another one sold for £18.55,and no i didn`t buy them as it`s not my cup of tea so to speak. :rolleyes:

Dave f.........

Cheers Dave thumbsup.gif creepin' up then.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert