What's Been Your Favourite Venue Of 2009 ?

The Tempest

• Replies 72
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just Soul-Retford thumbup.gif

you beat me too it!

I'll have the second vote for Just Soul - it could have been held in a shed at the back of someones garden and it would still have been fabulous thumbup.gif

My second place vote will be for Soul Essence.

I'm counting down the days for 27th March and then 9th April...

Social source share

Its greedy time for me........sorry

Allnighters its a toss up between A..Lifeline, B.. Burnley, C..Radcliffe

Weekender...Cleethorpes

Soul Night..........well it HAS to be "GROOVESVILLE SOUL CLUB"

Toby

Social source share

SUNDAY CHLLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM whistling:D

BRI PINCH.

yes , together with York Soul club & A Taste of Honey , Manchester - automatically in our diary :thumbup:

Charity Northern Soul & Motown Revue @ HUNTINGTON WMC

SATURDAY 16TH JANUARY 2010

In aid of St. Leonards Hospice, York

DJ's Little Av & Pete Jay (Manifesto Soul Club}, Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste Of Honey & Riley Smith Hall),Andy Hudson & Mike Ward (Soul & Motown Revue)

Huntington WMC,1 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QS Tel 01904 768370 Andy01904 441428 Mike 01904 340764£5:00 (8 till 1am) arrive early

Dates for your diary - 24th April 2010 , Northern Soul & Motown Revue, Classic Club Soul Night and more

- 10th July 2010 - 1st Anniversary Alldayer , Free Style DJing

Social source share

My favourite Venue Of 2009 was Middleton in the old building; it was simply perfect with an electric atmosphere.

I also love The Blackpool Tower Weekender, Mrs Imber isn't a nighter person but we love to go to Blackpool and amerce ourselves completely into it.

Too be perfectly honest, I don't think I have ever been to a bad Nighter?

Social source share

As my good friend Kirsty has already stated Just Soul was fantastic and in my opinion primed for legendary status, Yarmouth weren,t half good aswell, until a couple of years ago was a regular at Lifeline and have made a pact with my mate Mr Simon that we need to re-establish the attending, locally, The Coachman in Darlington is starting to create a buzz and gets my recommendation wholeheartedly.

Kev

Social source share

Just the two from me,

Morley Carr

&

Burscough British Legion

Both cracking nights of underplayed Soul.

Who sez Allnighters have the best sounds??

ATB

Tony

Would certainly second you on Burscough Legion Tony. Along with Orrell Soul Club, St Theresa's at Southport and Bury Masonic....all superb local North West venues playing the very best in Soul music that you will hear anywhere. Filled with really warm and friendly people!! Always have a great time there!!

Long may they continue thumbup.gif

Social source share

Can only speak as we find and give our recommendations ehthumbsup.gif

Local has to be THE COACHMAN for it's upfront policy of allowing ,encouraging and embracing new play's and an appreciative knowledgable ,friendly bunch of regulars.

Travel wise YORK SOUL CLUB ,fantastic ,friendly atmosphere, one of the best venue's and a well balanced music policy

GREATSTONE for the same reasons as the COACHMAN ,plus free grubthumbup.gif

JUST SOUL for moving the goal post's by emphasising the word's "Just soul" and bringing together so many knowledgable people ....it humbled meohmy.gif

WAKEFIELD RED BAR very warm and appreciative crowd,great atmosphere and a very nice venue to boot!

MORECAMBE FREE WEEKENDER fantastic atmosphere ,always sunny ,great music and people ,and all for free !

Would like to say , it's been a pleasure to attend all the above for the reasons given ,but even more so ,for one common fact, Not once did i hear a complaint aimed at dj's or music policy.

That ,in this day and age ,is very encouraging and tell's me ,im visiting the right place's with the right people thumbup.gif

Social source share

king.gif So hard to pick out multiples never mind just one but the King of the crop was the Old Middleton & although it's now gone it was a close second to Cleethorpes Pier in the early 70's, the East coasts Soul Nirvana, I'm sure Mr McCabe will find the perfect replacement in 2010king.gif Others that stood out are:

Burnley for the shear pace & ferocity of it's take no prisoners 60's tunes.good.gif

Morley Carr because it actually does play semi rare & underplayed tunes.thumbup.gif

Lifeline for the depth of dj's & rarities,also I think it's finally found it home at last.hatsoff2.gif

York Soul Club because it's local & plays our kind of music & it's run by collectors rather than Promotors.thumbsup.gif

Boomerang for the like minded people who travel from all points of the compass to hear every type of rarity & some 70's etc in one of the toughest ex-mining Towns in Yorkshire & love it, can't believe I'm first to mention this.boxing.gif

Weekenders has to be Whitby because it's a beautiful place to be with people I rarely see & Skeggy for the friendliest folk & value for money.wub.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"That was no masked man, that was the Lone Ranger, Hi Ho Silver away",

Spot.shades.gif

Social source share

Best weekender for me was Brid best mix sumut for everyone :thumbsup:

Best nighter any where Carl Heard was Present Wilton, Burnley :thumbup: Man On form

Best soul night apart from mine Huntington Soul & Motown Revue. YORK SOUL CLUB with the new room better for 2010 takes a lot beating. Taste of Honey, Coachman Darlington, Manifesto all have there place in 2009

Best memories of the Year, Having Chineese with Jerry Brown RIP 1950 2009 and him bringing his new sounds to play

Andy

Social source share

Stoke - Kings Hall (Venue, attendance,Music policy, Just in a different league to anything else........IMHO)

Rugby - Could have been No1 but for the frequent clashes of other venues!!

Nuneaton Coop (Nighter) 10/10 goes to Mark for this his first "big time"

Been to most others during the year and for me Bidds/Lifeline aka "rare as you like venues" as yet, just dont do it for me. But heyho there maybe hope yet as even the legendary TOTW eventually gave us "oldies" crowd a room to play about with........Watcha reckon then eh???

Social source share

Guest yorks old boys

the torch did it for me and rest off the traveling york crew fatastic and well put together next skeggy twice a year then brid fantastic:thumbup:

Social source share

thumbup.gifMonthly venues have gotta be Burscough Leigion, Bury Masonic and Heywood. pete and I have enjoyed supporting these three venues in the North West and will continue throughout 2010. thumbsup.gif Well done lads

Best weekender Barnstaple long way to go but well worth it roll on Nov 2010 for the next one. biggrin.gif

Social source share

SUNDAY CHLLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

BRI PINCH.

biggrin.gifHAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU BRI - THIS IS THE BEST VENUE EVER!!! GREAT SOUNDS, PEOPLE, VENUE & IT'S FREE - WISH WE COULD BOTTLE THIS UP AND CARRY IT AROUND WITH US. IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN BEFORE, MAKE THIS A MUST ATTEND VENUE FOR 2010 - YOU WILL BE HOOKED!!! CAN'T BIG IT UP ENOUGH!!! WELL DONE TO THE PROMOTERS.biggrin.gif

yes , together with York Soul club & A Taste of Honey , Manchester - automatically in our diary thumbup.gif

Charity Northern Soul & Motown Revue @ HUNTINGTON WMC

SATURDAY 16TH JANUARY 2010

In aid of St. Leonards Hospice, York

DJ's Little Av & Pete Jay (Manifesto Soul Club}, Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste Of Honey & Riley Smith Hall),Andy Hudson & Mike Ward (Soul & Motown Revue)

Huntington WMC,1 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QS Tel 01904 768370 Andy01904 441428 Mike 01904 340764£5:00 (8 till 1am) arrive early

Dates for your diary - 24th April 2010 , Northern Soul & Motown Revue, Classic Club Soul Night and more

- 10th July 2010 - 1st Anniversary Alldayer , Free Style DJing

AGREE ANDY YORK SOUL CLUB & TASTE OF HONEY, MANCHESTER - GREAT SOUNDS & VENUES, RUN BY GREAT PEOPLE!!!

LOOKING FORWARD TO THESE 2 VENUES IN 2010!!!

Best weekender for me was Brid best mix sumut for everyone hatsoff2.gif

Best nighter any where Carl Heard was Present Wilton, Burnley thumbup.gif Man On form

Best soul night apart from mine Huntington Soul & Motown Revue. YORK SOUL CLUB with the new room better for 2010 takes a lot beating. Taste of Honey, Coachman Darlington, Manifesto all have there place in 2009

Best memories of the Year, Having Chineese with Jerry Brown RIP 1950 2009 and him bringing his new sounds to play

Andy

ANDY - HAVE TO SAY ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE WE HAVE MET IN 2009 IS YOU!!! LOVED YOUR COMPANY - YOU ARE SO FUNNY!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO ENJOYING YOUR COMPANY IN 2010!!

Edited by LittleAv
Social source share

Hopefully That Driving Beat, Leeds, will be on this list in 2010 :good: but for now.........

Nighter - Toss up between Rugby & NCS, mainly because i love what they do in their alternative rooms (freestyle-eeeee!)

Soul do - Greatstones (rare / underplayed) & Red Bar, Wakefield (modern / crossover / 70's), both have great music policies and people.

Charity do - Anything related to Soul In The Sun (The recent Keighly SIS event springs to mind)....Eddie's raised over £20k this year for Cancer Research, fecking amazing effort.

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Red Bar, Wakefield,: Just Soul, Retford,: Monumental on Soul Weekender,Clacton: Soul Essence Weekender, Great Yarmouth,: Morecambe weekender.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest rosemary

My favourite soul night has been Morley Carr..... for its refreshing music policythumbup.gif, the people and my lovely boss Mr Harrisyes.gif.

My favourite alnighter has to be Burnley........ the music 'smacks' you in the face......fantastic uptempo 60sthumbup.gif

Social source share

i will fully admit i dont get chance to go to many places but by far my fave is USOS walsall, because i know im going to be educated by the tunes played and that ill spend half the nite scribbling down tunes id never heard before and thats exactly how i like things to be,nice people too who are only to happy to share their knowledge

jason

Social source share

1, defo the 100 Club cos i just love everything about the place

2, Lifeline, if youve been you know why

3, Cleethorpes weekender, first one and loved every minute

4, Disciples of Soul, small friendly as it gets and amazing tunes played

5, Rugby, how can you not love this Nighter

next year, all these defo again and again and a defo a first visit to Burnley and USOS :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Soul nights....

Solid Hit Soul ....for continuing to bring new 60s tunes to my ears..... the new venue is just right.... and the guest DJs from outside the London area.

TOTS.....only two this year but fantastic new venue and promoted by two great guys with top guest DJs.

Boogaloo and Walls of Heartache for bloody good nights out.

Boomerang for the best social event I travel to.....the alldayer is not to be missed.

Allnighters....

Lifeline ...although I only managed one this year. The new home is spot on.

Bidds.... love the music policy.

Weekenders...

None...didn't do any this year (funds shortage and i hate chalets and caravans).....was hoping for Lifeline next year but i hear that is unlikelysad.gif.

What i missed this year....

Warren's Cheap As Chips.....the last one at the end of 2008 was brilliant....imagination wins over bank balance every time.

Thanks to all promoters who put their time, passion and money into whatever event i attended.

Have a great new year.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

For me its been the re-launch of VA VA VOOM in London!

:yes: My favourite soul night of 2009 very closely followed by USOS.

Nighter wise i'm a Rugby girl through and through though Stoke & Lifeline were in my top 5 nights out in 09!:D

Weekender = Cleethorpes for me though if i don't win the fancy dress comp in 2010 that's it!:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert