Do I Love You - Instrumental Version

Soul16

At the Keele University Allnighters in 1988 - 1991, I remember hearing an instrumental version of the Frank Wilson song 'Do I Love You' - it was played regularly up there, although I never heard it played anywhere else.

It's difficult to describe its sound, not exactly synthesized, but certainly 'electronic', it was definitely a modern recording - I guess from the late 80's

At the time, I loved the record & it was a real floorfiller, but I haven't heard it since 1991.

I think several DJs were playing it at the time & seem to remember the artist being referred to as 'The Inferno Orchestra' - Something to do with the UK Inferno label maybe??

I have never seen a copy for sale anywhere, does anybody have a copy or a sound file?

Or, alternatively, did I dream the whole thing?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

was a white label only via neil rushton i think--solid uk like centre

had 3 copies ,years ago,bought from richard shaws record shed in congleton

he sold me 3 for 50p each--sold em on for a fiver and got 25-00 for last copy

That sounds like the one I'm thinking of, all I need to find now is either a copy of the record or locate a sound file to see if it's as good as I remember...

'Inferno Orchestra' sounds about right then, given the Neil Rushton link.

Thanks

Social source share

That sounds like the one I'm thinking of, all I need to find now is either a copy of the record or locate a sound file to see if it's as good as I remember...

'Inferno Orchestra' sounds about right then, given the Neil Rushton link.

Thanks

It was actually the backing track to JJ Barnes' version, remixed with tamborine added. I was with Neil when he did the instrumental, a couple of weeks after the main recording with JJ which I missed.

As far as I remember, it never got past a Test Press stage, with one of his earlier releases on the back, might have been Jimmy S Clark or Johnny Bragg - something like that.

I know I had one at the time - pure white labels - don't know if I have it now.

Don't think Neil did many of them, as it was only a test press - I'm sure he can add to this.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

It was actually the backing track to JJ Barnes' version, remixed with tamborine added. I was with Neil when he did the instrumental, a couple of weeks after the main recording with JJ which I missed.

As far as I remember, it never got past a Test Press stage, with one of his earlier releases on the back, might have been Jimmy S Clark or Johnny Bragg - something like that.

I know I had one at the time - pure white labels - don't know if I have it now.

Don't think Neil did many of them, as it was only a test press - I'm sure he can add to this.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Thanks Mick,

Hopefully Neil will see this & add to it.

Social source share

At the Keele University Allnighters in 1988 - 1991, I remember hearing an instrumental version of the Frank Wilson song 'Do I Love You' - it was played regularly up there, although I never heard it played anywhere else.

It's difficult to describe its sound, not exactly synthesized, but certainly 'electronic', it was definitely a modern recording - I guess from the late 80's

At the time, I loved the record & it was a real floorfiller, but I haven't heard it since 1991.

I think several DJs were playing it at the time & seem to remember the artist being referred to as 'The Inferno Orchestra' - Something to do with the UK Inferno label maybe??

I have never seen a copy for sale anywhere, does anybody have a copy or a sound file?

Cheers,

Andrew.

boxing.gif This subject I have mentioned before I am sure? anyway in the 7ts I used to do a bit of Roadying with my mate Ronan Wilson at Meteorlites his new company that emerged from the classic Wonder wart hog Roadshow which is now ELP based at Elstree, anyway when working with Kool & the Gang UK tour 76 which included Captain Fog ^ supported by FBI UK funky sort of band? I digress speaking one day to the Band about there roots Ed Kyser and that stuff the told me that the Motown organisation had every record ever made on tape this included vocal & instrumental slow and uptempo versions and they had dub plates with 4 instrumentals that were given to talent comp winners club singers and so on? so there could be a legit acetate out there, my advice for those who know Frank is get the complete run down as a producer he knows whats there any way yes all logic states it must existhatsoff2.gif DAVE9I KNOW NOTHING) KIL

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I would love a copy of instrumental.

I heard an instrumental of it in Peterborough played by Andy Smudge Smith so no idea where he got a copy

Social source share

:boxing: This subject I have mentioned before I am sure? anyway in the 7ts I used to do a bit of Roadying with my mate Ronan Wilson at Meteorlites his new company that emerged from the classic Wonder wart hog Roadshow which is now ELP based at Elstree, anyway when working with Kool & the Gang UK tour 76 which included Captain Fog ^ supported by FBI UK funky sort of band? I digress speaking one day to the Band about there roots Ed Kyser and that stuff the told me that the Motown organisation had every record ever made on tape this included vocal & instrumental slow and uptempo versions and they had dub plates with 4 instrumentals that were given to talent comp winners club singers and so on? so there could be a legit acetate out there, my advice for those who know Frank is get the complete run down as a producer he knows whats there any way yes all logic states it must exist:hatsoff2: DAVE9I KNOW NOTHING) KIL

Thanks very much for your input, but the version that I'm referring to has nothing to do with Motown (other than the tune) - If you ever get to hear it, you will know why I say that - I think that Mick Holdsworth is on the right lines.

Edited by Soul16
Social source share

Guest acky6859

Cheers,

Andrew.

I remember Chris King playing this at Gilmerton Soul night in Edinburgh this Year because he announced on the mike to Kenny Burrell you may have the original of frank wilson but I have the Instrumental and played it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert