Young Bros On Ebay

NEV

Hi all

Ordinarily i would'nt discuss a current ebay sale before it's ended ,but it's plastered at the top of the big ebay page ,every minute/hr /day so here goes....

2nd copy in a short time but having read the description ..is it just me ,but it looks like bad copy for the price it's already reached??

By the way..i'm not debating your personal preference of the said 45 so please don't come on and start slagging it off ,as is usually the case:wicked:

6 hrs to go and over 100 watcher's at the moment so who know's what it'll go for :chinstroke:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YOUNG-BROTHERS-baby-SOUL-POWER-45-RARE-NORTHERN-SOUL_W0QQitemZ110472669555QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

who gives a f*ck...the seller clearly states the condition and half a dozen bidders, who I would assume have read the description are prepared to take a chance, presumably on the "Whats Your Game" side which plays pretty good to these ears and not the inferior Baby.

what has 100 watchers got to do with the end price? doesn't mean they are interested in bidding. I'm watching, have been since the day it was listed but purely out of interest.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

who gives a f*ck...the seller clearly states the condition and half a dozen bidders, who I would assume have read the description are prepared to take a chance, presumably on the "Whats Your Game" side which plays pretty good to these ears and not the inferior Baby.

what has 100 watchers got to do with the end price? doesn't mean they are interested in bidding. I'm watching, have been since the day it was listed but purely out of interest.

Sorry Chalky ..i was just bored so thought i'd post up my thought's :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

JOHN PARKER PLAYED IT AT THE RILEY SMITH HALL GIG. IT SOUNDED AWFUL, LIKE STICKING A DANSETTE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR AND PLAYING IT THRU A TIN CAN.

BRI PINCH.

MICK SMITH PLAYED IT AT TALK OF THE SOUTH LAST WEEK AND IT SOUNDED LOUD AND CLEAR AND SUPERB

Social source share

Sorry Chalky ..i was just bored so thought i'd post up my thought's :hatsoff2:

nothing to be sorry about. one side is in pretty decent shape and if the grading for the flip has he calls it is of usual US standard then it will be more like vg+ or better to some UK dealers.

Its a rare record and as it is only the inferior side (IMHO) that is damaged it will still sell.

Social source share

JOHN PARKER PLAYED IT AT THE RILEY SMITH HALL GIG. IT SOUNDED AWFUL, LIKE STICKING A DANSETTE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR AND PLAYING IT THRU A TIN CAN.

BRI PINCH.

Hi Bri

Sound's ok when he plays it at York......reading thru the Riley in lookbacks ,seems a few negative comment's regarding the sound system on the night?

Different copies have a different take on the "baby" side ,not sound quality :chinstroke:

Social source share

Its the same copy that was sold earlier in the month - read the description and listen to the sound file.

Obviously the bidder has either pulled out on the sale or sent it back.

well spotted dont you just love the tinternet, as much as i would like it its like a lot of trophy pieces ie eric Mercury, Deltours etc not that really good

Social source share

Its the same copy that was sold earlier in the month - read the description and listen to the sound file.

Obviously the bidder has either pulled out on the sale or sent it back.

well to these lug oles the Whats Your Game sounds much stronger than the present copy on ebay and the Baby side has no where near the hiss etc the copy on ebay has now. Listening to both soundfiles they sound different. The description also give a different grading too. The seller clearly states he found two copies in the same collection.

Social source share

well to these lug oles the Whats Your Game sounds much stronger than the present copy on ebay and the Baby side has no where near the hiss etc the copy on ebay has now. Listening to both soundfiles they sound different. The description also give a different grading too. The seller clearly states he found two copies in the same collection.

a pretty big dj won the other copy too...

Social source share

You're right Chalky.

Just checked the scans and they are slightly different.

What's the odds of picking up two equally fcuked rare 45?

that happens all the time, you find two copies of something at once, and they're often in similar condition. he probably didn't find both at separate times.

Social source share

he didn't Bob, he says he found both in same collection. g.gifWonder what else he had doubles of g.gifbiggrin.gif

g.gif Chin's, or am i reading too much into your post Chalkyg.gifwink.gif

I knew people could'nt refrain from my original request of not slagging off the recordno.gif

Social source share

As I love the flipside "baby" -but then I am a su**er when it comes to group harmonies- a copy in this condition is nearly worthless (to me) and I would wait for a better one to come along. Still I can understand other people hunting it down just for the uptempo side. So maybe a lot of people who think they can make a "bargain" here will just end up spiraling the price up and up and up. Wouldn`t be the first time and I bet not the last time..

Social source share

g.gif Chin's, or am i reading too much into your post Chalkyg.gifwink.gif

I knew people could'nt refrain from my original request of not slagging off the recordno.gif

dunno Nev, I was just wondering that if someone has two copies of a highly collectable record such as the Young Brothers, then I was wondering if he had any other gems in his collection, or even doubles.

As for slagging off, you should know by know what Soul Source is like, some have nothing better to do or say than slag something or someone off.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

As I love the flipside "baby" -but then I am a su**er when it comes to group harmonies- a copy in this condition is nearly worthless (to me) and I would wait for a better one to come along. Still I can understand other people hunting it down just for the uptempo side. So maybe a lot of people who think they can make a "bargain" here will just end up spiraling the price up and up and up. Wouldn`t be the first time and I bet not the last time..

Wait for how long Marc? it's not every week, or even few months a record like this comes along.

Social source share

Wait for how long Marc?

Maybe till the wallet is full again LOL ! Seriously though, if both sides of a record are great it doesn`t make sense to me to go for a destroyed copy (the one on ebay is destroyed for 2/3 of its lenght). I would sit back and wait for a better one to come along. A rare one yes, but as we just have seen not an impossible one. Too many other good 45s out there to buy which would not bring a tear to your eye everytime the needle hits the flipside.

Just my opinion of course.

Social source share

And this is of course a joke :yes:

of course it was. for me this record counts in the top ten of double siders and I would go for a copy with both sides strong playing and to be honest, I was quite surprised when I saw the end price for a one side only playing copy.

Social source share

So maybe a lot of people who think they can make a "bargain" here will just end up spiraling the price up and up and up. Wouldn`t be the first time and I bet not the last time..

A usual thing I think, as long as rare soul music is not just of interest for people with strong financial backround. folk who cannot spent a couple of "K´s" every week at the wednesday auctions has to look around to get rare stuff cheaper as usual and sometimes in bad condition. And I think also a rare record in bad condition should get a good home and not just end up in the rest room and if it´s a good record which still sounds ok should maybe played out to other people too (still better as playing from bootlegs or re-issues imo).

Social source share

Not everyone likes the 'Baby' side (personally I love it) but when ever it gets played at Stewartby it empties the floor. So, if the person that won the second copy (at $1,169.00 less than the first one) only likes the "What's your game" side, then surely they're onto a winner? I know they were both only VG- but the "WYG" side sounded pretty good on both copies.

After all these years "What's your game" still hasn't fully broken, but surely that's only down to a lack of play? Brilliant record i.m.h.o.

Social source share

After all these years "What's your game" still hasn't fully broken, but surely that's only down to a lack of play? Brilliant record i.m.h.o.

As much as I love the What's your game side it's not really a dancefloor record. The mix is way too messy for big speakers. If I had a copy I surely wouldn't dj with it.

Never heard the flipside before and the lower delta number one is great. The other one's shite. I understand the copy on Ebay has the higher delta number?

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Not everyone likes the 'Baby' side (personally I love it) but when ever it gets played at Stewartby it empties the floor. So, if the person that won the second copy (at $1,169.00 less than the first one) only likes the "What's your game" side, then surely they're onto a winner? I know they were both only VG- but the "WYG" side sounded pretty good on both copies.

Exactly...Right,now i've had this record in my posession for a week or more i'm gonna chip in with my comments..Firstly i'd like to thank you all for rubbishing this record and maybe putting off potential bidders.The £1450 i paid for a near perfect playing copy of "whats your game" is i consider a complete bargain.(seller really underestimated the condition).Whilst i do like the "baby" side i'd only ever rate that,if you could put it like this...a £500 pound record...if you know what i mean..But "whats your game"..worth thousands on quality.i never thought i'd own a copy of this,but now i do and most of you lot never will!..Yes,and i dont care if you don't like it Mr Smith,you never get out anyway.I Fu*king love it and short of the Mello Souls i thinks its just about the best northern soul record ever made! anyway,enough typing,i'm off to cuddle my record....Blimey,is it possible to love a piece of plastic?? Yes i think it is.lol....come here you beauty xxxxx

Edited by John A
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Exactly...Right,now i've had this record in my posession for a week or more i'm gonna chip in with my comments..Firstly i'd like to thank you all for rubbishing this record and maybe putting off potential bidders.The £1450 i paid for a near perfect playing copy of "whats your game" is i consider a complete bargain.(seller really underestimated the condition).Whilst i do like the "baby" side i'd only ever rate that,if you could put it like this...a £500 pound record...if you know what i mean..But "whats your game"..worth thousands on quality.i never thought i'd own a copy of this,but now i do and most of you lot never will!..Yes,and i dont care if you don't like it Mr Smith.I Fu*king love it and short of the Mello Souls i thinks its just about the best northern soul record ever made! anyway,enough typing,i'm off to cuddle my record....Blimey,is it possible to love a piece of plastic?? Yes i think it is.lol....come here you beauty xxxxx

Congratulations, John... I've loved this since hearing Ian Clark play it the late 80s.. great price and I'm very jealous..

Thankfully personal taste isn't uniform !

Social source share

Congratulations, John... I've loved this since hearing Ian Clark play it the late 80s.. great price and I'm very jealous..

Thankfully personal taste isn't uniform !

Thanks,i first heard it on a cd Adey Potts bought back from a trip stateside visiting Mike Noreaga..Bizarrely enough i was familiar with the "BABY" side already.I know its been known since Stafford or maybe even the arse end of Wigan but when i first heard it..well,it just blew me away...i love it.Top man Clarkie and was it Mr Withers who origionally plucked this record from obscurity?.

Edited by John A
Social source share

Sound's ok when he plays it at York......reading thru the Riley in lookbacks ,seems a few negative comment's regarding the sound system on the night?

Different copies have a different take on the "baby" side ,not sound quality g.gif

DUNNO NEV, ALL THE SOUNDS JOHN SPUN BEFORE IT SOUNDED FINE, AS DID THE REST OF HIS SET, YOU COULD SEE PEOPLE ROUND THE ROOM HOLDING THEIR EARS WHEN THIS WAS ON. A YOUNG LADY EVEN WENT UP AND TWIDDLE WITH HIS KNOBS whistling.gif WHICH LOOKED A TAD EMBARASTING.

BRI.

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert