I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - Cissy Houston

I think she's really under-rated as a vocalist anyway but this is one belting version of the Bacharach/David classic. I liked Dusty Springfield's ballad approach but this version is pure Northern to me and what a brilliant production and vocal performance from Cissy......

....come to think of it, there was a bit of former competition between Cissy and Dusty 'cos Dusty covered "Bring Him Back" so maybe this was Cissy getting her revenge.........?

Either way, a cracking version IMO.......beats the shit out of the White Stripes for sure LOL......

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest proudlove

I think she's really under-rated as a vocalist anyway but this is one belting version of the Bacharach/David classic. I liked Dusty Springfield's ballad approach but this version is pure Northern to me and what a brilliant production and vocal performance from Cissy......

....come to think of it, there was a bit of former competition between Cissy and Dusty 'cos Dusty covered "Bring Him Back" so maybe this was Cissy getting her revenge.........?

Either way, a cracking version IMO.......beats the shit out of the White Stripes for sure LOL......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Brilliant!!!!!------Right off to Radcliffe..........Later

Steve

Social source share

Guest proudlove

LOL! If that don't get you in the mood then nothing will! thumbup.gif

Have fun and Merry Christmas!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Cheers Ian,taxis here,Caroles got posh frock on we are on our way.................................................

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

First came across the record back in 1972 on an LP called Chess/Janus Mobile Disco. Actually bought the LP for A Love Reputation, In Orbit and The Entertainer, but was knocked out by this track, which at the time must have been the first song that I had heard by Cissy.

Seasons greetings and keep up the great posts in 2010.

Steve

Social source share

The lp on Pye international is top notch not in a northern way,but one of my fave's.

Picture_001_6.jpg

CISSY HOUSTON - I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF - PYE INTERNATIONAL LP -

Social source share

Guest welshruss

You know that every now and again,we sell certain things "out of the box" ...well not this one.My mint demo will go into "the Box" with me.

Always loved it,and to be honest never heard it played out till about 10 years ago when Eddy Edmondson did so at a local doo in Wrexham.

And thought then "i,ll never sell that copy of mine"

Nice one.

Social source share

First came across the record back in 1972 on an LP called Chess/Janus Mobile Disco. Actually bought the LP for A Love Reputation, In Orbit and The Entertainer, but was knocked out by this track, which at the time must have been the first song that I had heard by Cissy.

Steve

Lovely tune it is! - I also first came across it via the same compilation album, later picked up the Album by Cissy with the track on - on UK Major Minor, (which actually came out before the Pye release Ken, as you'll no doubt know)

Commonweath records being released over here at the time by Major Minor, later the LP was released on Pye, then of course the 45 also on UK Pye.

The 45 I picked up for about 50p at Mr Dewhurst's old haunt - Cleethorpes Pieryes.gif

Not being a 'stomper' so to speak, it wasn't regarded as anything special by the average all nighter goer / seller during the mid 70's period.laugh.gif

I then 'forgot' all about it until as Mr Plumb states, when it got plays during the 90's.

I also wondered about the Cissy / Dusty connection Ian...'Cissy's revenge' - sounds good to me!

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hello Ian - Cissy's He/I believe/I'll be there single is one of the greatest Soul 45s ever recorded in my opinion -you're right she is very under rated.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

a big bold brass buckled belter i should say, broke my heart having to sell mine a few years ago, managed to pick up a lovely white demo late this year ,not going to part with it again.my erstwhile but not forgotten friend mark alliss introduced m to tthe tune after a niter at tony,s in blackburn about ten years ago. Funny how i came about gettin a copy,one sunday after the 100 club ,sat in mcdonalds , the guy sat at the end of our table,wish i could remember his flippin name now, short scouse lad , always in record bar, wife had short black hair always dancin, anyway i just happened to ask him completely out the blue, while he was going through the boxes did he happen to notice if anyone had a cop f cissy houston, he thinks for a second and says,eh yeah i did see one for sale a guy from southampton had one in his box, ( good and bad news i thought, he,s probably pissed off home now, and i ,ve no idea what his name is or f*** all, "gloomilly i asked , was he still around at the end of the night?, er well yes ,came the reply , in fact he,s sittin right behind you!SOLD!!heh eh. the best bit though was when i asked what he wanted for it? i,ll take 25 ,he says which was exactly all i had left in me pocket. .which i was tryin to save as id just won a competition to get dinner for two at a restaurant on the strand , that evening. i consoled meself with the vinyl id wanted for three years ,and while i was in such a magnanymous mood, asked me next door neighbour if he fancied taikng his missus there so the prize wasnt wasted , he accepted and the following evening repaid my gesture with a crate of stella, which was as luck would have it the eve of my birthday . One to remember , which ironically, i dont!

Social source share

a big bold brass buckled belter i should say, broke my heart having to sell mine a few years ago, managed to pick up a lovely white demo late this year ,not going to part with it again.my erstwhile but not forgotten friend mark alliss introduced m to tthe tune after a niter at tony,s in blackburn about ten years ago. Funny how i came about gettin a copy,one sunday after the 100 club ,sat in mcdonalds , the guy sat at the end of our table,wish i could remember his flippin name now, short scouse lad , always in record bar, wife had short black hair always dancin, anyway i just happened to ask him completely out the blue, while he was going through the boxes did he happen to notice if anyone had a cop f cissy houston, he thinks for a second and says,eh yeah i did see one for sale a guy from southampton had one in his box, ( good and bad news i thought, he,s probably pissed off home now, and i ,ve no idea what his name is or f*** all, "gloomilly i asked , was he still around at the end of the night?, er well yes ,came the reply , in fact he,s sittin right behind you!SOLD!!heh eh. the best bit though was when i asked what he wanted for it? i,ll take 25 ,he says which was exactly all i had left in me pocket. .which i was tryin to save as id just won a competition to get dinner for two at a restaurant on the strand , that evening. i consoled meself with the vinyl id wanted for three years ,and while i was in such a magnanymous mood, asked me next door neighbour if he fancied taikng his missus there so the prize wasnt wasted , he accepted and the following evening repaid my gesture with a crate of stella, which was as luck would have it the eve of my birthday . One to remember , which ironically, i dont!

Now THAT is a story! Brilliant! Cissy Houston and a crate of Stella is a marriage made in heaven LOL......good.gif

Believe it or not I hadn't even heard this until recently. I always rated her version of "The Long And Winding Road" for the sheer power of her vocals so I stumbled into her "Midnight Train To Georgia - The Janus Years" package and thought I'd check out the rest of it and being a sucker for Bacharach/David tunes ended up loving "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself". Sounds like a classic ending record to me........

I just checked my UK singles and I have a minter of "The Long And Winding Road"/"Be My Baby" on Major Minor but alas not a 45 of "IJDKWTDWM". Yet another one to look out for........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Used to spin this regularly at that driving beat, always went down well, people asking who it was, fullfloor etc.

First heard eddie edmondson play it on his solar radio show about two years ago, went out and bought one straight away. Managed to get it on a Janus white demo for 15 nicker!

Fantastic atmospheric tune with a deep gritty vocal that you'd expect from cissy.

Gonna play it next at the January TDB, thanks for posting Ian

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Now THAT is a story! Brilliant! Cissy Houston and a crate of Stella is a marriage made in heaven LOL......good.gif

Believe it or not I hadn't even heard this until recently. I always rated her version of "The Long And Winding Road" for the sheer power of her vocals so I stumbled into her "Midnight Train To Georgia - The Janus Years" package and thought I'd check out the rest of it and being a sucker for Bacharach/David tunes ended up loving "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself". Sounds like a classic ending record to me........

I just checked my UK singles and I have a minter of "The Long And Winding Road"/"Be My Baby" on Major Minor but alas not a 45 of "IJDKWTDWM". Yet another one to look out for........

Ian D biggrin.gif

You really should get out more Ian wicked.gif .... as a matter of fact, all this talk of Cissy Houston reminds me of the rather nifty version of "Just Walk In My Shoes" that Cissy's Sweet Inspirations recorded on one of their Atlantic LPs ...

Social source share

You really should get out more Ian wicked.gif .... as a matter of fact, all this talk of Cissy Houston reminds me of the rather nifty version of "Just Walk In My Shoes" that Cissy's Sweet Inspirations recorded on one of their Atlantic LPs ...

I know but I did go the 100 Club party t'other night if that counts........good.gif

Don't know that Sweet Inspirations either so you may have a point......g.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest welshruss

I know but I did go the 100 Club party t'other night if that counts........good.gif

Don't know that Sweet Inspirations either so you may have a point......g.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

and the Bruce Cloud version too.....not much of a dancer,but still nice tune.

Social source share

PYE_International_7N-25537-A-1.gif

Here's the PYE International Single

Very classy. The label credits alone kind give it away - Bacharch/David tune (the greatest songwriters of all time IMO) and one Charles Koppelman in the production credits - he went on to run EMI music but had been around since the late 50's so presumably knew a good tune when he heard one!

In fact here's 'lil biography from the Cigar Aficionado Website LOL.....

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,825,00.html

I presume that this was probaby recorded in '69 then? Either way, those PYE copies are probably rarer than people may think. She never had any promotion or airplay in the UK at the time so there was no big demand so there's not that many of 'em floating around.........

Worth snapping up methinks.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Very classy. The label credits alone kind give it away - Bacharch/David tune (the greatest songwriters of all time IMO) and one Charles Koppelman in the production credits - he went on to run EMI music but had been around since the late 50's so presumably knew a good tune when he heard one!

In fact here's 'lil biography from the Cigar Aficionado Website LOL.....

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,825,00.html

I presume that this was probaby recorded in '69 then? Either way, those PYE copies are probably rarer than people may think. She never had any promotion or airplay in the UK at the time so there was no big demand so there's not that many of 'em floating around.........

Worth snapping up methinks.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

played this out in bournemouth about 4 years ago - very mixed reaction from the crowd - half the dancers walked off the floor unsure.gif

Social source share

played this out in bournemouth about 4 years ago - very mixed reaction from the crowd - half the dancers walked off the floor unsure.gif

Sometimes that's the mark of an enduring record though Mike. I can clearly remember Dean Parrish, Gerri Granger and Tobi Legend clearing the floor many a time until they got established.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

A powerhouse of a record that's been played at the 100 Club on and off for 15 years. Big in Barnsley too!

Yep, it sure sounds like a 100 Club record for sure Ady. Mmm. London and Barnsley then? Any other takers.......?

Great night t'other night mate! Saw tons of the old Yorkshire crowd down there but had to leave early to meet up with the Mother-In-Law so that put paid to that LOL........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yep, it sure sounds like a 100 Club record for sure Ady. Mmm. London and Barnsley then? Any other takers.......?

Great night t'other night mate! Saw tons of the old Yorkshire crowd down there but had to leave early to meet up with the Mother-In-Law so that put paid to that LOL........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Played in Hull on/off for quite awhile allways loved this.

Daryl

www.hullsoulclub.org.uk

Social source share

Amazing thread this.

I always thought it was a 'standard' that everyone new and owned.

Never ceases to amaze me how folk can seem to know the most obscure 45's... and yet something like this can be overlooked!

ohmy.gif

Great track!

good.gif

Sean

I think it could have easily slipped through the net though Sean. Cissy's Janus stuff was veering too much to the M.O.R. side for most Northern sensibilities (my own included) so nobody was championing Cissy Houston much in the 70's. I loved her vocals but nothing bar "Bring Him Back" from the 60's would have been remotely playable in the early era. She also made a bunch of pretty naff Disco fodder in the 70's so she really wasn't right up there with the 'must-hears' for most folk. She kind off missed the way a bit really. Thelma pretty much took over in the 70's and Whitney stole the 80's.......

In fact, as I said, the only way I heard it was via listening to "The Long And Winding Road" again and wanting to specifically check-out her other stuff from that era. That's the first time I heard "IJDKWTDWM" and couldn't believe that I'd never heard it before unusual as it seems (bear in mind I wasn't around much in the 80's and 90's so there's a big knowledge gap in some of those years).

I mean it's almost 40 years since it was released - you've probably got tons of stuff like this which some young (and not so young) ears may not have heard yet mate. I got to say that there's really nothing much else from that album that sounds Northern to me but this would have done the trick for me if I'd heard it out for sure!

The next thing you'll be telling me is that there's some killer unknown Joe Simon tunes..............laugh.gif

Speak soon!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I think it could have easily slipped through the net though Sean. Cissy's Janus stuff was veering too much to the M.O.R. side for most Northern sensibilities (my own included) so nobody was championing Cissy Houston much in the 70's. I loved her vocals but nothing bar "Bring Him Back" from the 60's would have been remotely playable in the early era. She also made a bunch of pretty naff Disco fodder in the 70's so she really wasn't right up there with the 'must-hears' for most folk. She kind off missed the way a bit really. Thelma pretty much took over in the 70's and Whitney stole the 80's.......

In fact, as I said, the only way I heard it was via listening to "The Long And Winding Road" again and wanting to specifically check-out her other stuff from that era. That's the first time I heard "IJDKWTDWM" and couldn't believe that I'd never heard it before unusual as it seems (bear in mind I wasn't around much in the 80's and 90's so there's a big knowledge gap in some of those years).

I mean it's almost 40 years since it was released - you've probably got tons of stuff like this which some young (and not so young) ears may not have heard yet mate. I got to say that there's really nothing much else from that album that sounds Northern to me but this would have done the trick for me if I'd heard it out for sure!

The next thing you'll be telling me is that there's some killer unknown Joe Simon tunes..............:laugh:

Speak soon!

Ian D :D

Hi Ian,

I can see how it would slip through the 'Northern Net' very easily.

As you say, it certainly wouldn't have had a chance on the Northern scene (back in the day:rolleyes:) but that's why I always felt it was a 'standard' amongst Soul fans.

Sure, we can't all know 'em all... but Cissy Houston is one of the finest Gospel Soul singers of all time, and I would have thought this particular track would have been much better known.

Obviously, I was mistaken so, certainly, its a good job you started the thread, Ian. There's obviously too many folk missing out on Real Deal stuff like this.

:smile:

Yep - Speak soon. I've been a busy lad.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Steve

Yeah,my first exposure to this barnstormer was thru that LP too Scunny.Loved it since.Got a chance on the Major Minor LP recently,but the guy wanted a little too much...Kev.

Social source share

(re: Love Don't Hurt People)

:D

It was Mary Chapman that turned me onto it, initially.

A really lovely track... from Cleggy!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Sure is, and it's on the same LP as disco hits "Think It Over" and "Warning Danger" which should make it easier to find...also I'm sure someone else did a version but can't for the life of me think who

Edited by Neil P
Social source share

Hi Ian,

I can see how it would slip through the 'Northern Net' very easily.

As you say, it certainly wouldn't have had a chance on the Northern scene (back in the day:rolleyes:) but that's why I always felt it was a 'standard' amongst Soul fans.

Obviously, I was mistaken so, certainly, its a good job you started the thread, Ian. There's obviously too many folk missing out on Real Deal stuff like this.

smile.gif

Yep - Speak soon. I've been a busy lad.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

C Houston was played at Accy Legion in the summer of 74 along with lots of other non-stompers.

The classic being J Tex "All The Heaven a man really needs" I went with Rick Foster and Chris Shepphard to Pitches and one of the DJs played it.

Anyway I said to him that was good to hear not heard it out since74, with the look he give me shows it didn't beleave me.

Others played at the time

Intriges "I'm Gonna Love You"

D Martin "Sly Girl"

B Relf "Girl You're my kind of Wonderful"

T Lindsey "Daddyo"

C Kelly "City of Fools"

Imperial Wonders "You Only Live Once" I swapped one of these to Rod (modernsoulsucks) for Perigents "Love on a Rampage" at the time.

Troy Keys " If a had my way"

Big Maybelle "I can't wait any longer"

Sisters Love "Piece of my Heart"

plus lots and lots more.

Dave.

Social source share

C Houston was played at Accy Legion in the summer of 74 along with lots of other non-stompers.

The classic being J Tex "All The Heaven a man really needs" I went with Rick Foster and Chris Shepphard to Pitches and one of the DJs played it.

Anyway I said to him that was good to hear not heard it out since74, with the look he give me shows it didn't beleave me.

Dave.

Yes Dave, all the Pitches DJ's have it... and am sure we will have played it.

Would have been a standard play in certain parts of the country, from way back, but clearly not 'Northern Top 500' fodder from what Ian says.

Certainly a quality item!

:shhh:

Sean

Social source share

Yes Dave, all the Pitches DJ's have it... and am sure we will have played it.

Would have been a standard play in certain parts of the country, from way back, but clearly not 'Northern Top 500' fodder from what Ian says.

Certainly a quality item!

:shhh:

Sean

PITCHES.......OH YES WHAT A TOTAL QUALITY VENUE THAT WAS. CERTAINLY REMEMBER HEARING THIS TRACK THERE COS THATS THE FIRST TIME I EVER HEARD IT AND IMO, PISSES ALL OVER MOST OF THE TOP 500 TACKLE :shhh:

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY SOUL@THE WASHINGTON, 3RD JAN 2010, FITZWILLIAM ST, SHEFFIELD. 3.00 - 8.00.

Social source share

played this out in bournemouth about 4 years ago - very mixed reaction from the crowd - half the dancers walked off the floor :unsure:

It just goes to show you Mike, 15 years ago at Abshott & Newbury & other South Coast events I couldnt leave the house with out it, I'm sure I would have heard it first at the 100 Club & my Pye copy came from Mick Smith in the record bar at the 100 Club...........I always tried to imagine the recording session, there is everything, including the kitchen sink, can you imagine the size of the orchestra & no doubt done in virtually one take, 'oh to have been a fly on the wall'.......I used to play this record always followed by the announcement on the mike of 'Eat your heart out Whitney'......... :yes:..........a true powerhouse of a record, that I could never get bored of hearing.

Happy New Year all

Russ

Social source share

Great record. Think I first heared it at Shotts Allenton allnighters in early 90s. Got plays all over the shop in them days I think. Colin Law spin perhaps?

Social source share

Definately got played in the early 90s as I bought a Charly LP by Cissy Houston just for the track, since I couldn't locate a 45 at the time.

The LP came from Hitsville Records, Rockingham Street, Sheffield - who closed down in the mid-90s?

AH GOOD OLD HITSVILLE, GOT A COPY OF RHONDA DAVIS OUTTA THERE FOR TEN BOB. :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

I thought Cissy recorded the original, bought the single a few years ago, Always liked Dusty, but, then you hear a true soul singer, no competition. tony played it at a few gigs, but cleared the dance floor. Hope it takes off brilliant record. On my ipod!

Social source share

Excellent track and a classic song of course.

Like Sean, I always assumed most people would be familiar with it so it's nice to see it get some more attention.

Social source share

I went with Rick Foster and Chris Shepphard to Pitches and one of the DJs played it.

Hmmm. well I definately had it 'in the box' at Pitches, could even be the one who played it when you were there?g.gif

But seeing as I first heard it on that LP as I said above - I can't imagine being surprised at someone telling me that they'd not heard it since '74...

But that was a few years back so I couldn't swear to itunsure.gif ...It may not have been me eitherwink.gif

Anyway, no worries whatever.

"Love don't hurt people" - If I remember rightly, wasn't the other version by Sharon Brown?

I think I have a UK picture sleeve copy of it, but forget the label off hand - Virgin maybe?.

Speaking of Cissy, there's a few nice things she did on EMI and also Private stock as I recall

"Love is holding on" being one.

I also have a bit of a soft spot for another of her Janus things "I'm so glad I can love again"

Yep she's got a great voice and she's even better when she has the right songs!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert