Best Young Dj Of 2009

Guest Brett F

Funny tho' that virtually all of the djs mentioned are more firmly set in the RnB side of things musically. In fact there's a much more younger, hipper and stylish crowd emerging on the RnB/Mod scene especially in London.

Perhaps Northern's pricing itself out of the market. Just a thought.

Very, very true words.. yes, prices are one of the reasons.

For example, I started collecting northern soul when I was 16 years old (not that long ago!), but then most of my favourite 45s were so expensive I could buy, maybe, 2 records a year (and I like to buy records every week!), and that was the main reason why I started buying and listening more R&B. There's still a huge number of cheap and excellent R&B records which make diggin' very interesting and satisfying IMO, and this means you can be a very good R&B dj without spending a fortune.

I'm not sure we can say the same about NS.. I mean, there are hundreds of cheap nice records, but giving a look to all big nights playlist it's easy to realize you'd need a fortune to get what big name djs are playing.

And, concerning the main reason why young guys in London tend to attend mod events rather than the soul ones, I think it's just because at 18/20 years people usually give a lot of importance to coolness and clothes rather than music.

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

thought this was a SOUL SITE

NOT MOD & RNBg.gif

Don't see you moaning about the gospel audio thread or the funk one and isn't this a 'SOUL SITE'??? So what point are you trying to make?? Just because you're too narrow minded to enjoy RnB/Mod sounds doesn't mean none of us are allowed to talk about it.

Social source share

Very, very true words.. yes, prices are one of the reasons.

For example, I started collecting northern soul when I was 16 years old (not that long ago!), but then most of my favourite 45s were so expensive I could buy, maybe, 2 records a year (and I like to buy records every week!), and that was the main reason why I started buying and listening more R&B. There's still a huge number of cheap and excellent R&B records which make diggin' very interesting and satisfying IMO, and this means you can be a very good R&B dj without spending a fortune.

I'm not sure we can say the same about NS.. I mean, there are hundreds of cheap nice records, but giving a look to all big nights playlist it's easy to realize you'd need a fortune to get what big name djs are playing.

And, concerning the main reason why young guys in London tend to attend mod events rather than the soul ones, I think it's just because at 18/20 years people usually give a lot of importance to coolness and clothes rather than music.

Hi, Tommaso!

I surely understand the importance of getting in demand, rare and therefore expensive stuff...but i don't get how you concentrate in just one side of the music you like just because you think you can't afford the records; there are thousands and thousands of soul records out there to be bought that are as affordable as the R&B you mention...wich, the way i see it, can be perfectly combined on soul eventsw without anybody needing to panic; after all nobody complained when rare, covered up sounds as JT Parker were championed by some big names in the northern fraternity; maybe a case of DJ name making the tune acceptable...?

And, after all, what makes a rare soul set interesting is to hear something/s you've never heard before, songs that make you want to quickly grab pen and paper...at least, that's what cuts the cake for me! Mind you, none of the most respected names in the rare soul world are millionaires; just people with the knowledge, the taste and the drive and perseverance to get/maintain the contacts to be able to unearth those records... and, finally, to combine all that to discern what's good and what's crap, as rare as the record may be...Yes, i'm talking about Butch thumbup.gif

Best!

Edu

Edited by tykarim
Social source share

For me it has to be Azza (Aaron) from Leeds, I have had the pleasure of this fellows company, he has the right true ethics and ethos, it has to be original vinyl or nothing, his mantra is if I haven't got it I don't play it, plus he has an open mind to soul music, irregardless of genre, the brilliant 60's based nights he runs alongside my good friend Rich Buckley are always fully supported by the younger elements of the UK soul scene, plus he has deejayed at one of the leading Modern Soul nights in England the Red Bar, Wakefield. Well done 'Azza' keep true to that philosophy, kids like you are the true future of the rare 'Vinyl' soul scene in this Island of ours.

Ps mind you with Matty Sherlock and your old man breathing down your neck then no wonder you hold these true ethics dear.

Brett F

ps. when i get bored of the Alice Clark, it's yours fella'.

boxing.gif UNDER 40 ?? THATS ABOUT WHEN I GAVE UP! AND I RECCAL WITH CLARITY THE MOD SCENE WHAT WES LEFT OF IT 67 ONWARDS (WHEN YOU COULD SMOKE ON THE CHUBE AND RIDE AROUND THE DILLY AND PARK IN TRAFALGER/LIECESTER SQUARE, EAT DOENUTZ FROM DUNKIN DOUGHNUTS IN FLEET STREET, BY DUBES IN THE 24 HOUR CAFE NEXT TO THE TATTOOIST IN KINGS X} FOR ALL STUFF COMING SOON "MORE THAN SKIN DEEP" THE ULTAMET BOOK FOR SMART BOYS AND GIRLS!hatsoff2.gif

UNDER 40Ty's it is thenph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

WHAT ! ME NORROW MINDED HA HA PLAY YOUR RNB RECORDS TO A SMALL CROWD

JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT PLAY 7TS SOUL !thumbsup.gif

You make me laugh mate, you really do.....can safely say you're one of the biggest wanker.gif on here. I made no mention of my club to which I assume your idiotic staement refers but as you have.... since when didn't we play 70s soul....we've always played it as well as northern and RnB.

Playlists from the last night here:

Of course, seeing as you live in Coventry it might actually be easier to attend one of the nights and hear for yourself but I guess you're happier sitting at a PC and slagging off something you've never attended and have no clue about.

Social source share

thought this was a SOUL SITE

NOT MOD & RNBg.gif

Surely any young blood (DJ's or not) crossing over from the Mod scene onto the Northern scene should be encouraged?

Of course they will initially prefer R&B, Rhythm & Soul, Latin and 60s stuff because that's what they have been listening to prior to attending Northern events.

With so few youngsters on the soul scene surely all should be encouraged?

Callum has recently started attending more and more Northern events (Lifeline, Burnley etc) and has been overwhelmed with the music he is hearing....especially from the likes of Karl Heard.

Who knows what music will float his boat in years to come.....maybe even 70s stuff?

There are waaayyy too many blinkers on the soul scene as it is, if you ain't gonna approve of youngsters crossing over from the Mod or Scooter scenes....just where are you gonna find them from?

So to balance things out, are there any youngsters doing the business on the 70s or Modern scene.

I know of Sean Livesy of course, perhaps you can throw some names in the mix to even things out....surely a more positive input to what could be an interesting thread?

Social source share

Hi, Tommaso!

I surely understand the importance of getting in demand, rare and therefore expensive stuff...but i don't get how you concentrate in just one side of the music you like just because you think you can't afford the records; there are thousands and thousands of soul records out there to be bought that are as affordable as the R&B you mention...wich, the way i see it, can be perfectly combined on soul eventsw without anybody needing to panic; after all nobody complained when rare, covered up sounds as JT Parker were championed by some big names in the northern fraternity; maybe a case of DJ name making the tune acceptable...?

And, after all, what makes a rare soul set interesting is to hear something/s you've never heard before, songs that make you want to quickly grab pen and paper...at least, that's what cuts the cake for me! Mind you, none of the most respected names in the rare soul world are millionaires; just people with the knowledge, the taste and the drive and perseverance to get/maintain the contacts to be able to unearth those records... and, finally, to combine all that to discern what's good and what's crap, as rare as the record may be...Yes, i'm talking about Butch thumbup.gif

Best!

Edu

the people who are the most respected names in the soul world who aren't millionaires are people who like callum had their ears to the ground and were buying quality obscure sounds that were ignored by the masses in their genre while they were still around. there aren't unknown $5 northern records that sound like $1000 northern records just sitting in people's boxes anymore like you're making it out to be, that's why there's a price guide with 50,000 records listed in it. there are still undiscovered northern records but you can't just look anywhere and find them and everyone's struggling to find them and they won't be just a few bucks when they do turn up (usually on ebay with a sound clip).

Social source share

I'm 33 and wouldn't think of myself as young and I'm sure the young soulies that are around wouldn't think of 33 as being young either! I'd be looking at a 'young' DJ being under the age of 25 and at a very big stretch 30.

Adam.

Speak for yourself Ad...I consider myself a young 36 :shhh: :shhh:

For me it's without a doubt Callum...he's got a collection most people triple his age would turn green at

Special mention to Tommaso too...was lucky enough to catch one of his sets at No Way Out and I have to say was really impressed...he was playing his own records and not the popular UK spins you hear at a lot of R&B nights across the country...rare too...so he needs to be applauded for that...one for the future I think :shades:

Social source share

shame Jamie & Rich ( from those magical Baby Jupiter days) have now got a few more years behind them and yes 'young' Nick Hackett :thumbup:

Charity Northern Soul & Motown Revue @ HUNTINGTON WMC

SATURDAY 16TH JANUARY 2010

In aid of St. Leonards Hospice, York

DJ's Little Av & Pete Jay (Manifesto Soul Club}, Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste Of Honey & Riley Smith Hall),Andy Hudson & Mike Ward (Soul & Motown Revue)

Huntington WMC,1 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QS Tel 01904 768370 Andy01904 441428 Mike 01904 340764£5:00 (8 till 1am) arrive early

Dates for your diary - 24th April 2010 , Northern Soul & Motown Revue, Classic Club Soul Night and more

- 10th July 2010 - 1st Anniversary Alldayer , Free Style DJing

Social source share