Best Young Dj Of 2009

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

For me it has to be Azza (Aarron) from Leeds, I have had the pleasure of this fellows company, he has the right true ethics and ethos, it has to be original vinyl or nothing, his mantra is if I haven't got it I don't play it, plus he has an open mind to soul music, irregardless of genre, the brilliant 60's based nights he runs alongside my good friend Rich Buckley are always fully supported by the younger elements of the UK soul scene, plus he has deejayed at one of the leading Modern Soul nights in England the Red Bar, Wakefield. Well done 'Azza' keep true to that philosophy, kids like you are the true future of the rare 'Vinyl' soul scene in this Island of ours.

Ps mind you with Matty Sherlock and your old man breathing down your neck then no wonder you hold these true ethics dear.

Brett F

ps. when i get bored of the Alice Clark, it's yours fella'.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sure he'll be a star & I look forwards to hearing him play & to be honest I'm surprised I ain't already Brett.

If he's good enough for you & the Red Bar loonies he'll do for me.

Also sticking in Yorkshire keep an eye out for young Rosie. Heard her playing good quality music right from the 60's to current releases without any of the usual prejudices that sadly rub off on most of us.

Was one of my highlights last year to hear her play Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love & announce it as her favourite record to a full Northern dancefloor.

Hell at 15 she shouldn't even know who Al Green is.

Social source share

Sure he'll be a star & I look forwards to hearing him play & to be honest I'm surprised I ain't already Brett.

Also sticking in Yorkshire keep an eye out for young Rosie. Heard her playing good quality music right from the 60's to current releases without any of the usual prejudices that sadly rub off on most of us.

Was one of my highlights last year to hear her play Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love & announce it as her favourite record to a full Northern dancefloor.

Nice avatar BTWtongue.gifbiggrin.gif

15 years old? ohmy.gif She could be nominated for this for the next 25 years then!

Best of luck to Rosie, Azza, and all the youngsters who have discovered this scene and all that is special about it. thumbup.gif

- Kev.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

not really sure whos under 40 nowadays

but of the ones i know for sure and heard in 2009

Pip from Dublin be my shout!

Hey Mike last time i talked with you, Rach assured me you were under 40...................whistling.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

best young dj for me is callum ( pow wow ) havent seen him for ages but hes got a better collection than some people who have been into the scene for 20 / 30 years and hes only 23 , the future of the soul scene is in safe hands :no:

:lol:

I heard him play at Move on in Coventry & thought he was ace!:P

Social source share

AZZA FOR ME AS WELL BRETT ,LET ME TELL ABOUT THE LAD ,I USED RUN A FEW PUBS IN LEEDS I STARTED DOING A NORTHERN NITE ON A THURS WENT DOWN A STORM ME AND HIS OLD MAN HAVE BEEN INTO THE NORTHERN AND SCOOTER SCENCE FOR 30 YEARS PLUS SO HE,S HAD NO CHOICE WORKED BEHIND FOR ME SO IT WAS SOUL OR NOTHING ,CAME ON A FEW SOUL IN THE SUN HOLIDAYS AND THE KIDS JUST TOOK OFF FROM THERE A FORWARD THINKIN WHAT I WOULD SAY A MUST TO WATCH OUT FOR IN THE FUTURE,GREAT LAD FEET FIRMLEY ON THE THE GROUND..AND NO AZZA YOU CAN,T HAVE MY CELESTE HARDY......MATTY

Social source share

had to fight for this face :rolleyes:

top thread thumbsup.gif

Who won:laugh:

Wayne Dearman for me,

excellent taste in music and a smashing bloke as well !!

amd always has something tasty in the sales box.

Good shout on South Yorkshires Wayne Dearman.

Heard him playing everything from 60's RnB but not many folks will know that he can mix a mean House spot.

Not so sure about the young thoughshades

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Already mentioned twice, it's Callum for me as well. Already got a brilliant collection. A great guy with great taste. thumbsup.gif

Most importantly not playing records from his parent's collection or exclusively at oldies nights.

Social source share

Already mentioned twice, it's Callum for me as well. Already got a brilliant collection. A great guy with great taste. thumbsup.gif

Most importantly not playing records from his parent's collection or exclusively at oldies nights.

Agree with Callum, he did a great spot when I heard him at Move On.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Wayne Dearman for me,

excellent taste in music and a smashing bloke as well !!

amd always has something tasty in the sales box.

Christ Headsy, Wayne was born just as the world was mourning the death of Mendleson.....

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Same here, played with him at the Boiler club in Barcellona, superb collection of current biggies, r&b semiknowns, latin gems etc!

Social source share

Young Danny Clegg for me, only 22 with more knowledge than I could ever wish for.

Been collecting since he was old enough to get pocket money & always plays a great spot thumbup.gif

post-5069-12617301141384_thumb.jpg

Totally Agree...thumbsup.gif

He has a Great Collection of Vinyl & he is a "Brilliant Young Lad" to go with his unbelievable knowledge....whistling.gif

Best Young DJ of 2009 - Danny Clegg (Southport)....thumbup.gif "No question in my book"thumbup.gif

Edited by Bridgey
Social source share

That's Brett, he did the 100 Club recently and was top notch.

Joel Maslin from Crystal Palace way just did a blinder there and he's on the youthful tip.

Agree there Ady,

Brett Smith('Young Brett' on Soul-Source).

He has done a couple of guest DJ spots for us at 'The City' and 'Caliente' in Peterborough (everywhere else is pretty much a closed shop for new talent/blood). Played some great records and always pulls out some class 45's you haven't heard played out in years and makes them sound fresh and interesting again!

post-7608-12616956997589_thumb.jpg

Also mention for Jamie Parr ('Mr_JP' here on Soul-Source) another 'youngster' that has guested for us also - good looking chap, usually brings a posse of good looking young women with him as well.

post-7608-12616959680845_thumb.jpg

We like it when these youngsters come along to 'The City' and 'Caliente' - the average age in the room drops by at least 10 years!!

Ray

Social source share

Haven't heard that many of the "younsters" but the last one I heard Joel Maslin at The 100 Club. 29 (I believe) and played an outstanding set thumbsup.gif

alex simms and his mate pete play some nice tunes around the yorkshire area.

good to have the young ones keeping the scene alive

Social source share

Any fortunate who went to Chicago to the Soul trip Usa and witnessed the Chicago lads Nick , Sonny & Aret weave there magic , would i am sure come away with a warm feeling that the scene is in some very young and Talented hands ''living the dream '' of this drug called SOUL .

.Great reading Young Alex & Rosie getting mentions there enthuiasm is such an inspiration every time i see them .

Best Johnny reds pants melting Ktf down under

Social source share

Guest Decroco

I am just over 40 but if you want to put me into the 'Young' category then that will do for me.

They say your as old as the woman you feel - bugger our lass is older than me! I will have to trade her in for a younger model, if there are any young ladies out there that can make me younger just pm me...

And cheers Headsy I'll give you that tenner later.

Social source share

For me it's got to be Nev from Darlington, only been dj'ing 5 min's but know's the lot and like's the real deal.thumbsup.gif

Aww thanks Wally ..if you were'nt such a sarcastic git i'd take that as a compliment .

O.V.O for me Wally and O.V.O venue's too ,apart from Joe's on a Satnite where anything goes (cos it's not a soul venue )

What am i saying ....if your not playing O.V.O it's not a proper soul venue anyway is itg.gif

P.s i know i don't look it Wally but im about 5 yrs older than youwink.gif

post-5460-12617437996876_thumb.jpg

Edited by NEV
Social source share

i heard Rosie play in keighley a few months ago and was really impresed by her , to just find out shes only 15 im even more impressed now ,

i havnt heard any of the other young djs mentioned on here but by the sound of it the scene is in safe hands

Social source share

Aww thanks Wally ..if you were'nt such a sarcastic git i'd take that as a compliment .

O.V.O for me Wally and O.V.O venue's too ,apart from Joe's on a Satnite where anything goes (cos it's not a soul venue )

What am i saying ....if your not playing O.V.O it's not a proper soul venue anyway is itg.gif

P.s i know i don't look it Wally but im about 5 yrs older than youwink.gif

No sarcasim intended, yes you've moved on now from the boot's and re-issues and your now playing OXO with the big boy's. Good luck:shades:

And yes i know your 5 year's older as you you look it.thumbsup.gif

Merry Christmas and pass our best on to your wife.

Social source share

No sarcasim intended, yes you've moved on now from the boot's and re-issues and your now playing OXO with the big boy's. Good luck:shades:

And yes i know your 5 year's older as you you look it.thumbsup.gif

Merry Christmas and pass our best on to your wife.

The thread was aimed at under 40's ,so why nominate me ,and i'm smart enough to spot sarcasm when i see it wally .....i havent moved on from anything ..never ever played boots. Have bought em to sell on in packs from ebay /collections etc .

Would have replied sooner ,but sadly we were busy attending Jo's dad's funeral on xmas eve ,too busy to be reading this crap!

Give my regards to your good lady toothumbsup.gif

Social source share

Three brilliant examles in Jamie , Aarron and Callum . i have heard a lot of natter about Brett Smith and look forward to finding his whereabouts and going to have a listen.

You know Brett (Franklin) this thread has really sparked some life into me (you know were I'm coming from )

theres a whole lot to look forward to in the coming years . These younguns are indeed the future .

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Nick hackett by a mile,not 40 for a week.At home at any niter or soul night no matter who is on the lineup,always brings something different to the event.

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

I think Sergio and David from Madrid and Edu Domingo from Barcelona aren't 40 years old yet.. and they're all brilliant djs!

I would definitely vote for the three of them, and yes they´s under 40....and I would add on the Spanish side Ana Vila from Barcelona, who´s much younger (well-under-30), great taste and with her own-way to play, that is actually what I most admire from any DJ

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

For me it has to be Azza (Aarron) from Leeds, I have had the pleasure of this fellows company, he has the right true ethics and ethos, it has to be original vinyl or nothing, his mantra is if I haven't got it I don't play it, plus he has an open mind to soul music, irregardless of genre, the brilliant 60's based nights he runs alongside my good friend Rich Buckley are always fully supported by the younger elements of the UK soul scene, plus he has deejayed at one of the leading Modern Soul nights in England the Red Bar, Wakefield. Well done 'Azza' keep true to that philosophy, kids like you are the true future of the rare 'Vinyl' soul scene in this Island of ours.

Ps mind you with Matty Sherlock and your old man breathing down your neck then no wonder you hold these true ethics dear.

Brett F

ps. when i get bored of the Alice Clark, it's yours fella'.

Under 40 eh ? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif That gave me a laugh Brett........Like "Young Mr Grace" from "Are You Being Served".....[Thats an over 40`s observation by the way,showing my age]shades.gif

`Kinnell..........This question could only be asked on the Northern scene really couldnt it? Its full to the brim with old gits....[of which i am one, unfortunately]

Best,

Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Hi!

Mmmmm...not too sure about where to put the boundaries when it comes to be considered "young" in the rare soul scene as we know it. People in their middle thirties like me are part of the last pre-internet generation, when the first access to soul music was most of the times linked to a "scene" (be it skinhead, mod or plain soulie), whereas people now in their twenties may have got to know the music without any kind of pre-conception...and i think -and hope- that in the future it'll be reflected in a much more relaxed attitude when it comes to the definition and the "rights and wrongs" of rare soul.

Younger crowds like the ones you can find in, for instance, Oslo, Gotheburg or -shameless plug- Barcelona may look studenty/trendy, even to my eyes... but many of those kids have true passion and knowledge about the music and they certainly know what they like and they appreciate a VARIETY of soulful sounds...that meaning that they are not biased by old scene politics and can appreciate the soulfulness of a funkier track, a jazzier one or even a reggae tune, all in the same night and in the same room; their vision of rare soul is not a "framed" one. So, when we talk about the future of the "scene" maybe we need to think that'll be a different thing from what we've experienced 'til now...and, yes, that is good: keeps things away from becoming stale and prevents rare soul events of becoming a sort of nostalgic experience... rolleyes.gif

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Agreed with Tommaso...i'll add himself too...very young(still under twenty years) but really amazing 45 in his set box...

30 this years for me...who have joined in the last 3 rimini soul weekender edition probably knows me or who have listen some of my podcast on web...i'll add myself in that list

ahauhauhauhau only a joke....

my best at all

Alfredo

Social source share

He's already got the most votes and I'll add mine to the list.......Callum. Technically very good, with an excellent collection that he knows how to use blending in big sounds with quality cheapies and some seriously good lesser knowns. Keeps the dance floor rocking and the chin strokers guessing!

It's people like Callum that we need more of on the scene if we want to keep it going. Personally I would like to see Callum (or someone similar) given a residency at one of the top niters......fast track one or two of these young guys to the top tier. Yes they need to be good enough.....can't comment on the other names mentioned as not seen them frequently enough to judge, but IMO Callum is good enough. But they also need a leg up past the politics and jealousy.....and years of 'doing their time, learning the ropes' crap. Get them on the big stage and their passion and enthusiasm will be a breath of fresh air and maybe, just maybe it will bring some of the much talked about but rarely seen 'young blood' onto the scene.

On the issue of what age is a dj considered 'young' then, again just my opinion, but 40 it def is not no.gif. I'm 33 and wouldn't think of myself as young and I'm sure the young soulies that are around wouldn't think of 33 as being young either! I'd be looking at a 'young' DJ being under the age of 25 and at a very big stretch 30.

Adam.

Social source share

He's already got the most votes and I'll add mine to the list.......Callum. Technically very good, with an excellent collection that he knows how to use blending in big sounds with quality cheapies and some seriously good lesser knowns. Keeps the dance floor rocking and the chin strokers guessing!

It's people like Callum that we need more of on the scene if we want to keep it going. Personally I would like to see Callum (or someone similar) given a residency at one of the top niters......fast track one or two of these young guys to the top tier. Yes they need to be good enough.....can't comment on the other names mentioned as not seen them frequently enough to judge, but IMO Callum is good enough. But they also need a leg up past the politics and jealousy.....and years of 'doing their time, learning the ropes' crap. Get them on the big stage and their passion and enthusiasm will be a breath of fresh air and maybe, just maybe it will bring some of the much talked about but rarely seen 'young blood' onto the scene.

On the issue of what age is a dj considered 'young' then, again just my opinion, but 40 it def is not :thumbsup:. I'm 33 and wouldn't think of myself as young and I'm sure the young soulies that are around wouldn't think of 33 as being young either! I'd be looking at a 'young' DJ being under the age of 25 and at a very big stretch 30.

Adam.

Good call Adam

Yes i would be saying under 25 as young uns really......

Very good points put forward by Edu... The younger scene can play a broader mix of sounds, as can some older lot too i might add...

g

Social source share

Good call Adam

Yes i would be saying under 25 as young uns really......

Very good points put forward by Edu... The younger scene can play a broader mix of sounds, as can some older lot too i might add...

g

Hi, Steve!

Sure thing! But it's not a matter of some individuals with broader musical tastes, it's about people realising that young blood will bring new ways of embracing rare soul...i mean, wich 18 year old want to do EXACTLY what his/her parents do? laugh.gif No offence intended for anybody (honest), but the back room of a pub with a shitty sound system is hardly what teenager dreams are made of...rolleyes.gif

Age means nothing if you've got an open, receptive attitude about life and, especially, about the things you love; most of the coolest people i know are way older than me...but then, i'd say that at 50 you can't pretend to look (and, yuk, dress unsure.gif) as if you were eighteen. Soul is the most elegant music ever; at that age -or any other, for that matter- surely you can't go to an allnighter/soul night with tracksuit and shoes, wifebeater t-shirts -with the nice addition of a bulking belly- or with all that horrible fancy-dress thing that seems to be so in vogue lately; sorry, but i find all that truly disturbing...not to mention that it'll bring ANY youngster with some sense of coolness running for the door. FFS, at 50 you can look truly smart and fabulous, but never young no.gif

As i said before, sorry if i offended anybody with my views, you can all remind me about them when i'm 50...i'll be wearing my nicest suit thumbup.gif

Best!

Edu

Edited by tykarim
Social source share

Would also throw Callum's name into the pile. Fantastic job he did for us at Boogaloosoul last month. Funny tho' that virtually all of the djs mentioned are more firmly set in the RnB side of things musically. In fact there's a much more younger, hipper and stylish crowd emerging on the RnB/Mod scene especially in London.

Perhaps Northern's pricing itself out of the market. Just a thought.

Social source share