Pete S

• Replies 287
  • Views 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Spoke to Johnny at Wigan a couple of months ago about helping out in anyway,it always makes me feel good to help out others when possible... I will for something towards the pot from the both of us later...

As i have always said, we sometimes focus on the negative with regards to people and this scene but i have always known that the good folk are the majority by a long long way..

All the best to mr Fingers and his family...

Steve/ Lydia Cato xxxxxxxx

Social source share

Guest east rob

its a noble gesture you're making, but if johnny is in such financial dire straights, perhaps it would be easier to offload his £1000 -£500 pounds + records off his sales list to a dealer.

instant payment, job done. just a thought..

regards, rob.

Social source share

its a noble gesture you're making, but if johnny is in such financial dire straights, perhaps it would be easier to offload his £1000 -£500 pounds + records off his sales list to a dealer.

regards, rob.

He's been trying to flog some stuff on here. Trouble is, sad to say, the customers; I know a lot of his plight is down to the fact that money he was relying on from record sales did not materialise, meaning he was short on his payments.

At one point in the 90's I was unemployed for 4 years and I had to sell not only my entire record collection but a lot of other things too; it f*cking hurt like nothing before. I didn't want to see that happening to someone else.

But yes, you're right, he could have done that, but he didn't, and time was running out.

Social source share

Just logged on and saw this thread :ohmy: fooking brilliant and a payment on its way to you Pete :good: Johnny is a top bloke and to know that his family still have their home with help from the Soul Scene makes me feel proud to be a soulie :hatsoff2:

merry Christmas to you all :thumbup:

Bearsy & Marie

Social source share

Last night was the first night, in longer than I can remember, that I was able to fall off to sleep the second my head hit the pillow - instead of spending umpteen hours tossin' & turnin' with the worry of the possibility for the worst start to a new year.. I still had a right s**t sleep, though - but that was a consequence of the sciatica and nothing else.

To awake this morning too, and not face an instantaneous bombardment of thoughts of a potentially very bleak future slamming into my head felt wonderful.. And all down to the kindness of our wonderful Soul Music fraternity !!

I sat down at my PC just after 5pm last night - all preparations and final running about in readiness for Xmas completed - and, as I'm also on Pete's mailing list, I read a message that - initially - held me steadfast in a daze. Not quite knowing what emotions I should be feeling at the words I saw in front of me.

Without signing in I then came on here to view the thread in it's entirety - it was at this point I broke down in floods of tears, and called to my wife and told her of the thread whereby both Sue & Charlie came in & we read through all the postings together. The silence was deafening as we realised exactly just what we were witnessing, then we just looked at each other without saying a thing.. None of us needed to - our facial expressions spoke a million words. We all three knew that we would still have our home in the new year !!

I feel embarrassment.. I feel so humbled - but I don't feel worthy. Even now I find it difficult to comprehend that so many of you would do this for me & my family - I'm still just so totally overwhelmed !!

Below is the response I wrote to Sian (Rugby Soul Club) in reply to a text I received from- I feel it sums up how we feel..

Given the opportunity I would welcome being able to thank each and every one of you in person - so, if you see me out PLEASE come and say hi, and allow me that opportunity. That is the very least I could do. But I would like to take time, now, to thank three - in particular - of God's children.. Without whom we would not have seen this sudden reversal of fortune bestowed upon our family..

Ian Simms (Simsy) - for the original seed of the idea..

Simon (Imberboy) - For starting the marvellous thread that prompted Pete to instigate this kind deed..

And finally Pete Smith himself.. I did help Pete out on an occasion and it was quite simply a fact of him having a need & me having the spare cash to provide a solution. At that time I didn't have a need for the money - Pete did.. Simple !! In my dealings with Pete over the previous years, via the Internet, I could occasionally see that - as much he as he would try - he was dealt some really duff cards at times and I saw my contribution solely as a means of, this time, Pete NOT having have to put up with the duff card.

TEXT:

My wife, daughter and I are reading right now.. I'm in tears ! I was resigned to attending the hearing on the 4th with a shortfall - not massive in comparison to what I've raised - but enough where I felt the decision could go against us.. But now - and the day before Christmas - we KNOW we will DEFO keep our house !! And all because of the goodness of kind peeps on our beloved music scene !!! The relief we are feeling, along with the generosity shown by those donating to our cause, has left us so indescribably overwhelmed.. On behalf of the three of us I offer our humblest gratitude - and hope one day we can return the acts of those who have been so selfless. XXX

'MERRY XMAS' EVERYONE !! and THANK YOU !!

Fingers

:D

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

JERRY BUTLER - WALK EASY MY SON - MERCURY -

This has been such an inspiring and nice thread it kept reminding of this song especially the lyrics in the middle verse.

Social source share

wanker.gif

regards, rob.

What a fookin knober thing to say.

Social source share

regards, rob.

i see the sprit of xmas has found you.......

Social source share

After losing some dear souls recently, this thread was truly in keeping with Christmas spirit.

I know Johnny did shift big ticket items and his financial headaches were considerable. Thanks to Pete's efforts and this thread, the situation has eased. Maybe time to draw a line under things ? Shame to see negativity creep in to such a positive thread.

Social source share

After losing some dear souls recently, this thread was truly in keeping with Christmas spirit.

I know Johnny did shift big ticket items and his financial headaches were considerable. Thanks to Pete's efforts and this thread, the situation has eased. Maybe time to draw a line under things ? Shame to see negativity creep in to such a positive thread.

No, no, it was a fair question and I pm'd Rob and hopefully answered it, someone was always going to ask it, let's leave it at that shall we...don't want to close the thread yet as some people have probably been drunk since Xmas eve and haven't seen it yet biggrin.gif

Social source share

your right a suberb thread this has turned out to be , from some of the replys that have been written johnnny has been so generous to others on and of the soul scene , last year he gave a freind of mine a ss--member some money to buy a weeks groceries , not a loan he gave him it , just sums up the genorosity of the guy good luck to him and his family , well done to all best nige

Social source share

No, no, it was a fair question and I pm'd Rob and hopefully answered it, someone was always going to ask it, let's leave it at that shall we...don't want to close the thread yet as some people have probably been drunk since Xmas eve and haven't seen it yet :ohmy:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

will send a donation too. As far as I'm aware, I've never met the Jonny fingers, but that's neither here nor there. As someone else on this thread said, in life we reap what we sew. This thread is what Christmas is really about. I've never met you either to my knowledge Pete but it doesn't matter, you must be one top soulie to do something so wonderful for another soul brother x Paypal donation on it's way x Sarah G xxx

Social source share

such a great bloke, just sent our donations from Paul & Ang, Hope everything turns out well for you & youre family jonny xx

Edited by ang b
Social source share

boxing.gif DITTO WELL SAID AS IT IS THIS SORT OF REMARK THAT PUTS OF PEOPLE ASKING FOR HELP!? AND AS A RESULT INTERNALISEING THE WHOLE ISSUE AND REINFORCEING LOW SELF ESTEEM SRESS AND DEPESION ASSOMEONE WHO IS IN A DIFULCALT SITUATION AND NO i AM NOT AFTER MONEY , REMARKS LIKE THIS ONE SHOWS ME HOW IGNORATE AND SAD SELFISH INDERVIDUALS STILL EXIST ON THE SCENE, i TAKE IT YOU STILL DONT KNOW WHAT SOUL MEANS AFTER HOW MANY YEARS AND YOUR REMARKS ABOUT MONEY AND SELLING RECORDS RUNS SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE THAT YOU PROBERLY THINK THAT PROSTITUTES ARE THERE FOR TOGET RICH OF EASY MONEY RATHER THAN WOMEN WHO GET RAPED EVERY TIME THEY GO OUT AS THE RAPE IS BETTER THAN THE VIOLANCE NOT TO, PLEASE GET YOUSELF EDUCATED ABOUT THE FACTS OF LIFE! WE ARE ALL 2 PAYDAYS AWAY FROM HARDSHIP AS AN EXPERT ON THE SUBJECT i WILL TEACH YOU HOWEVER A GOOD KICK IN YOUR b**LS WOULD BE BETTER BUT i BET YOUAINT GOT ANY? DO THE RIGHT THING AND RETRACT YOU UNSOULFUL OPINUN AS A JOKE THAT GOT OUT OF HAND IF NOT AND YOU STAND BY IT YOU HAVE ALOUDYOU OPINIONS TO BE KNOWN SO COME CLEAN WHAT ARE YOUR OTHER RIGHT WING VALUES?? REMEMBERhatsoff2.gifSOUL MEANS MANY THING BUT TO ME IT STANDS FOR "SOUNDS OF UNITY & LOVE" LP TITLE 1972??

ph34r.gifDAVE (TO PROUD TO ASK) KIL AFTER CHECKING EAST ROB POSTS IT DOES NOT SUPRISE ME THAT MY COMENTS WERE ASTUTE AND SO CLOSE TO THE POINT ... IN HUMOR JOKE ABOUT A GERMAN PROSTITUTE AND DWARFS??I BET SHE HAD ONE LEG BLACK AND A LESY..GIVE ME A BREAK. COME ON ROB EAST YOU AINT A 16 YEAR OLD AND I HOPE YOU ARNT A FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN PLEASE SEEK HELP!??SOON?

shades.gif DAVE MAN OF JUSTICE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Last night was the first night, in longer than I can remember, that I was able to fall off to sleep the second my head hit the pillow - instead of spending umpteen hours tossin' & turnin' with the worry of the possibility for the worst start to a new year.. I still had a right s**t sleep, though - but that was a consequence of the sciatica and nothing else.

To awake this morning too, and not face an instantaneous bombardment of thoughts of a potentially very bleak future slamming into my head felt wonderful.. And all down to the kindness of our wonderful Soul Music fraternity !!

I sat down at my PC just after 5pm last night - all preparations and final running about in readiness for Xmas completed - and, as I'm also on Pete's mailing list, I read a message that - initially - held me steadfast in a daze. Not quite knowing what emotions I should be feeling at the words I saw in front of me.

Without signing in I then came on here to view the thread in it's entirety - it was at this point I broke down in floods of tears, and called to my wife and told her of the thread whereby both Sue & Charlie came in & we read through all the postings together. The silence was deafening as we realised exactly just what we were witnessing, then we just looked at each other without saying a thing.. None of us needed to - our facial expressions spoke a million words. We all three knew that we would still have our home in the new year !!

I feel embarrassment.. I feel so humbled - but I don't feel worthy. Even now I find it difficult to comprehend that so many of you would do this for me & my family - I'm still just so totally overwhelmed !!

Below is the response I wrote to Sian (Rugby Soul Club) in reply to a text I received from- I feel it sums up how we feel..

Given the opportunity I would welcome being able to thank each and every one of you in person - so, if you see me out PLEASE come and say hi, and allow me that opportunity. That is the very least I could do. But I would like to take time, now, to thank three - in particular - of God's children.. Without whom we would not have seen this sudden reversal of fortune bestowed upon our family..

Ian Simms (Simsy) - for the original seed of the idea..

Simon (Imberboy) - For starting the marvellous thread that prompted Pete to instigate this kind deed..

And finally Pete Smith himself.. I did help Pete out on an occasion and it was quite simply a fact of him having a need & me having the spare cash to provide a solution. At that time I didn't have a need for the money - Pete did.. Simple !! In my dealings with Pete over the previous years, via the Internet, I could occasionally see that - as much he as he would try - he was dealt some really duff cards at times and I saw my contribution solely as a means of, this time, Pete NOT having have to put up with the duff card.

TEXT:

My wife, daughter and I are reading right now.. I'm in tears ! I was resigned to attending the hearing on the 4th with a shortfall - not massive in comparison to what I've raised - but enough where I felt the decision could go against us.. But now - and the day before Christmas - we KNOW we will DEFO keep our house !! And all because of the goodness of kind peeps on our beloved music scene !!! The relief we are feeling, along with the generosity shown by those donating to our cause, has left us so indescribably overwhelmed.. On behalf of the three of us I offer our humblest gratitude - and hope one day we can return the acts of those who have been so selfless. XXX

'MERRY XMAS' EVERYONE !! and THANK YOU !!

Fingers

Don't be surprised that people want to help you out, you are one of the most kind and generous people I have ever met, and not only on the soul scene.

Over the last 12 months, you knew I couldn't afford to buy many records, but every time I saw you, you always produce some little girlie gem out of your sales box and refuse to take any money for it. You have given me not only northern soul records but some special girlie stuff like the Brenda Lee australian Demo and the Shirley Bassey test press.

You have encouraged me behind the decks and been a mentor to me. I am pleased to be able to help, even if it is a small amount compared to the vinyl, encouragement and friendship you have given me over the last year.

Mr Smith, you've got funds.

Chrissie xx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

boxing.gif DITTO WELL SAID AS IT IS THIS SORT OF REMARK THAT PUTS OF PEOPLE ASKING FOR HELP!? AND AS A RESULT INTERNALISEING THE WHOLE ISSUE AND REINFORCEING LOW SELF ESTEEM SRESS AND DEPESION ASSOMEONE WHO IS IN A DIFULCALT SITUATION AND NO i AM NOT AFTER MONEY , REMARKS LIKE THIS ONE SHOWS ME HOW IGNORATE AND SAD SELFISH INDERVIDUALS STILL EXIST ON THE SCENE, i TAKE IT YOU STILL DONT KNOW WHAT SOUL MEANS AFTER HOW MANY YEARS AND YOUR REMARKS ABOUT MONEY AND SELLING RECORDS RUNS SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE THAT YOU PROBERLY THINK THAT PROSTITUTES ARE THERE FOR TOGET RICH OF EASY MONEY RATHER THAN WOMEN WHO GET RAPED EVERY TIME THEY GO OUT AS THE RAPE IS BETTER THAN THE VIOLANCE NOT TO, PLEASE GET YOUSELF EDUCATED ABOUT THE FACTS OF LIFE! WE ARE ALL 2 PAYDAYS AWAY FROM HARDSHIP AS AN EXPERT ON THE SUBJECT i WILL TEACH YOU HOWEVER A GOOD KICK IN YOUR b**LS WOULD BE BETTER BUT i BET YOUAINT GOT ANY? DO THE RIGHT THING AND RETRACT YOU UNSOULFUL OPINUN AS A JOKE THAT GOT OUT OF HAND IF NOT AND YOU STAND BY IT YOU HAVE ALOUDYOU OPINIONS TO BE KNOWN SO COME CLEAN WHAT ARE YOUR OTHER RIGHT WING VALUES?? REMEMBERhatsoff2.gifSOUL MEANS MANY THING BUT TO ME IT STANDS FOR "SOUNDS OF UNITY & LOVE" LP TITLE 1972??

ph34r.gifDAVE (TO PROUD TO ASK) KIL AFTER CHECKING EAST ROB POSTS IT DOES NOT SUPRISE ME THAT MY COMENTS WERE ASTUTE AND SO CLOSE TO THE POINT ... IN HUMOR JOKE ABOUT A GERMAN PROSTITUTE AND DWARFS??I BET SHE HAD ONE LEG BLACK AND A LESY..GIVE ME A BREAK. COME ON ROB EAST YOU AINT A 16 YEAR OLD AND I HOPE YOU ARNT A FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN PLEASE SEEK HELP!??SOON?

shades.gif DAVE MAN OF JUSTICE

Dave I know where you're coming from and I know what you mean but let's not fall out on this topic, if anyones got anything to say about anyone else's comments how about starting another topic and keeping this one free from the usual argy bargy, come on it's christmas and we've all done something that'll keep those cockles warm for a while to come. Leave Rob alone, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Right on.

Social source share

regards, rob.

I'm opting for the belief that there is no 'intent' behind your comments, Rob, and treat your post as a legitimate & valid question/statement.. After all - I DO have a serious amount of money currently disguised as vinyl - so it must beg the question ??

I feel you may have a better understanding and a proper prospective on my situation and, hopefully, I'm able to satisfy your query with the following information.

I had my own (very successful) company but was victim of the greed of my two 'so called' business partners and their boardroom coup - quite literally ousted overnight. If you have ever seen the film 'Trading Places' it might give you some insight as to the immediate effects of what was done to my family and I..

I no longer had the benefit of the income I enjoyed on the back of my hard work and personal success - but still had the regular monthly outgoings commensurate with my lifestyle. Our savings kept us going until May of '09 but each month would see my debt profile increase by four figure sums.

Without a massive surplus of cash there is no legal avenue for me to pursue my partners in an attempt to win justice and begin to reverse my situation - they don't do legal aid for either Employment Tribunals OR Corporate Law suits.

We currently don't - and haven't, to date, received any income via social benefits (reasons being complex and not necessary for me to detail them on here..).

I did, indeed, put some 'Big Bits' through a dealer's auction earlier this year and, whilst the commission was only at 15% the payment is far from instant when you consider the length of the auction and allow for payment to be made to the dealer BEFORE receiving my 'cut'.

I did approach different dealers with a view to doing just what you suggested, Rob, but at rates averaging from 60 - 75% of their value I felt I might achieve more trying to sell them myself.

If you look in the sales section from the end of November you will see just exactly how many pieces I've (so far) put up for sale.. Only finishing listing the contents of the first box just before xmas. If you continue to look periodically at the sales in the new year you will also see that I will continue to list sales.. As the means to (ultimately - in the short-term..) pay our bills and feed my family.

Whilst our home is the most important thing - we have a lot of our own money tied up in it and are hoping we can ride things long enough for the economy to become more stable whereby we can then sell it and hopefully be able to have enough to purchase a smaller place.. I won't be allowed another mortgage - we still have all the other associated outgoings the same as everyone.. Only, ours are in proportion - again - with the lifestyle we enjoyed before all this crap kicked off.

Hopefully, Rob, the above puts you a bit more 'in the picture' and you can see the wider view..

What this thread has done is allow us not just to keep our home but also provide us with a very valuable and MUCH needed breathing space !! It allows me, personally, relief from the constant battle and pressure from ALL our creditors - which is incessant !! All those that have had these sort of debts will know just to what I refer.. As much as all the utility companies etc tell you they are there to help in times of trouble THEY AIN'T !! and constantly bombard you with letters & phone-calls demanding their money.

It isn't the sort of thing anyone needs on top of the trauma, then, depression, that I was ALREADY struggling to cope with.

The kind deeds of the so many on here have given us not just our home - but the space whereby I can begin to get on top of things and begin to eradicate/reverse them.

I hope I have done you justice in how I've viewed your post, Rob, and gone some way to helping you understand sufficient to answer the question you raised.

However if I am wrong to give you that benefit of the doubt - then I believe you to be 'bang out of order' in making the post.. Especially when the facility is there for you to have asked me directly and not on a public forum.

Happy New Year to you..

Fingers

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

But ain't we all guilty of living above our means & getting our priorities wrong at times, but we have to have some enjoyment out of life no matter what, & if we can all offer a little to help a good man & his family out, & the amount that has been donated can hopefully put him ahead of everything for a while to get back on his feet fully, it wouldn't bother me what he did whith these donations as long as he was a happy man, and johnny you dont have to explain nothing to nobody babe its all youre own personel buisness

Edited by ang b
Social source share

Hi, I wasn't going to do this but sod it, why not:

many of you who get my lists, especially those of you in the Uk, will know John Porteus better known as Johnny Fingers. This guy is one of the nicest blokes on the Northern scene, has a phenomenal collection and is a top bloke and DJ. He helped me out in a time of real crisis and he'd never even met me before. Anyway from reading inbetween the lines, it looks like he may lose his house in january and is having to sell his beloved records so I just thought I would try and see if I could do anything about it, so, begging bowl in hand, I am going to ask anyone who knows John, if you can spare a fiver, a tenner or even more, could you donate it so's at least we can give him a helping hand?

I should have done this weeks ago but I didn't, but it's been playing on my mind ever since.

If you could spare anything for one of the nicest guys in the scene it would be wonderful, pay it into my paypal account pete.smith@freeuk.com and just mark it Fingers, I'll hand over every single penny and show everyone the receipts so don't worry about him not receiving it. (If you haven't got paypal you could always do it via card through me, I have facilities, you'll get a receipt :-))

I really apologise to anyone who finds this sort of thing offensive or in bad taste but it's the only way I can think of to help out a mate so just bin it if it's not applicable to you, but if you can help, it would be a wonderful gesture for Christmas.

thanks for reading anyway

best wishes

pete smith

planet records

Pete, we've not always got on particularly well on Soul Source but this thread earns my full respect. A brilliant thing to do and for a guy who, as many have said, is one of the kindest, nicest and most generous people around. Been away for a few days so only heard about this thread last night or I would have posted much earlier.

Top man Mr Smith, hope 2010 brings you lots and lots happiness :). PP will be with you shortly.

but I don't feel worthy. Even now I find it difficult to comprehend that so many of you would do this for me & my family - I'm still just so totally overwhelmed !!

John, you are certainly very worthy mate and to help your brain cell take in all of this......the reason so many of us are so happy to help is simply because we know that if the situation was reversed you would be the first to help any of us. Happy christmas mate and a very happy New Year :yes:

Social source share

I just thought people would like to know that we just had our 150th donator! :):yes::(

also...

here's a recipt for a withdrawal of £400 to my account

you've already seen the previous two withdrawals of £1000 each

with this £400 and the credit card money, well I'm sure you can all do the maths

F*CKING HELL!!!!!!!

Dear peter smith,

You asked us on 27 Dec 2009 to transfer 400.00 GBP from your PayPal account to your bank account. We are processing your request.

The transfer normally takes 2-3 business days.

The money should be in your bank account by 3 Jan 2010.

We will email you if any problems occur with your request.

Do you want to receive and withdraw larger amounts? Log in to your PayPal account to find out how. Click View Limits on your Account Overview page.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

But ain't we all guilty of living above our means & getting our priorities wrong at times, but we have to have some enjoyment out of life no matter what, & if we can all offer a little to help a good man & his family out, & the amount that has been donated can hopefully put him ahead of everything for a while to get back on his feet fully, it wouldn't bother me what he did whith these donations as long as he was a happy man, and johnny you dont have to explain nothing to nobody babe its all youre own personel buisness

Well said Ang. Though I wouldn't say Johnny was living above his means. He was living well within his means before his business partners put the skids under him. As for priorities, fighting to save your house & family is priority number 1. As has been the case here.

Social source share

Well said Ang. Though I wouldn't say Johnny was living above his means. He was living well within his means before his business partners put the skids under him. As for priorities, fighting to save your house & family is priority number 1. As has been the case here.

I know simsy & i dont think he was living above his means but what im saying is i dont think he should be excpected to sell his record collection i wouldn't want to either, he's got to have some enjoyment we all have, i know my hubbys got a brand new harley in the garage & im sure he would refuse to sell that if we were in the shite, we all have something tha means a lot to us & to cheer you up a bit when things are low, i wouldn't want johnny to have to sell up anyway

Social source share

I know simsy & i dont think he was living above his means but what im saying is i dont think he should be excpected to sell his record collection i wouldn't want to either, he's got to have some enjoyment we all have, i know my hubbys got a brand new harley in the garage & im sure he would refuse to sell that if we were in the shite, we all have something tha means a lot to us & to cheer you up a bit when things are low, i wouldn't want johnny to have to sell up anyway

:)

Social source share

Guest east rob

I'm opting for the belief that there is no 'intent' behind your comments, Rob, and treat your post as a legitimate & valid question/statement.. After all - I DO have a serious amount of money currently disguised as vinyl - so it must beg the question ??

I feel you may have a better understanding and a proper prospective on my situation and, hopefully, I'm able to satisfy your query with the following information.

I had my own (very successful) company but was victim of the greed of my two 'so called' business partners and their boardroom coup - quite literally ousted overnight. If you have ever seen the film 'Trading Places' it might give you some insight as to the immediate effects of what was done to my family and I..

I no longer had the benefit of the income I enjoyed on the back of my hard work and personal success - but still had the regular monthly outgoings commensurate with my lifestyle. Our savings kept us going until May of '09 but each month would see my debt profile increase by four figure sums.

Without a massive surplus of cash there is no legal avenue for me to pursue my partners in an attempt to win justice and begin to reverse my situation - they don't do legal aid for either Employment Tribunals OR Corporate Law suits.

We currently don't - and haven't, to date, received any income via social benefits (reasons being complex and not necessary for me to detail them on here..).

I did, indeed, put some 'Big Bits' through a dealer's auction earlier this year and, whilst the commission was only at 15% the payment is far from instant when you consider the length of the auction and allow for payment to be made to the dealer BEFORE receiving my 'cut'.

I did approach different dealers with a view to doing just what you suggested, Rob, but at rates averaging from 60 - 75% of their value I felt I might achieve more trying to sell them myself.

If you look in the sales section from the end of November you will see just exactly how many pieces I've (so far) put up for sale.. Only finishing listing the contents of the first box just before xmas. If you continue to look periodically at the sales in the new year you will also see that I will continue to list sales.. As the means to (ultimately - in the short-term..) pay our bills and feed my family.

Whilst our home is the most important thing - we have a lot of our own money tied up in it and are hoping we can ride things long enough for the economy to become more stable whereby we can then sell it and hopefully be able to have enough to purchase a smaller place.. I won't be allowed another mortgage - we still have all the other associated outgoings the same as everyone.. Only, ours are in proportion - again - with the lifestyle we enjoyed before all this crap kicked off.

Hopefully, Rob, the above puts you a bit more 'in the picture' and you can see the wider view..

What this thread has done is allow us not just to keep our home but also provide us with a very valuable and MUCH needed breathing space !! It allows me, personally, relief from the constant battle and pressure from ALL our creditors - which is incessant !! All those that have had these sort of debts will know just to what I refer.. As much as all the utility companies etc tell you they are there to help in times of trouble THEY AIN'T !! and constantly bombard you with letters & phone-calls demanding their money.

It isn't the sort of thing anyone needs on top of the trauma, then, depression, that I was ALREADY struggling to cope with.

The kind deeds of the so many on here have given us not just our home - but the space whereby I can begin to get on top of things and begin to eradicate/reverse them.

I hope I have done you justice in how I've viewed your post, Rob, and gone some way to helping you understand sufficient to answer the question you raised.

However if I am wrong to give you that benefit of the doubt - then I believe you to be 'bang out of order' in making the post.. Especially when the facility is there for you to have asked me directly and not on a public forum.

Happy New Year to you..

Fingers

Social source share

I just thought people would like to know that we just had our 150th donator! thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

also...

here's a recipt for a withdrawal of £400 to my account

you've already seen the previous two withdrawals of £1000 each

with this £400 and the credit card money, well I'm sure you can all do the maths

F*CKING HELL!!!!!!!

Dear peter smith,

You asked us on 27 Dec 2009 to transfer 400.00 GBP from your PayPal account to your bank account. We are processing your request.

The transfer normally takes 2-3 business days.

The money should be in your bank account by 3 Jan 2010.

We will email you if any problems occur with your request.

Do you want to receive and withdraw larger amounts? Log in to your PayPal account to find out how. Click View Limits on your Account Overview page.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Hey up Pete,

Fancy sorting out a Soul Source Savings & Credit Union thumbup.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Just a thought like laugh.gif

Social source share

Never met the guy but so glad to help out where i can.

A similar thing happened to me 10 months ago and one of my friends stepped in and gave me almost £19000 in 1 cheque to sort the problem out, which it did !

Now i have about £45,000/55,000 of vinyl probably and was about to start the big sell off process when he stopped me and said that i wasn't to sell off my vinyl to pay him back until i was ready to sell it and he knew full well the enjoyment i get out of it and he is more then happy to accept a small monthly payment until that day i decide to sell up, he wanted nothing more from me other then the same sum he gave me !!!

It still chokes me up now when i look back and realise we were 5 days from losing everything !!

I wish him the very best of luck in the future.

Ian.

Social source share

Happy New Year to you..

Fingers

Hello Fingers.

I feel privlleged to have been part of this and I'm sure that goes for all others on here who have responded to Pete's call for help .

Also, like many others on here, you and I have never met.

However, that doesn't matter as I think that people realised that your circumstances could happen to any of us at any time.

Maybe it was simply Christmas spirit, maybe it would have been the same at any other time of the year, I don't know.

None of us can change all the ills of the world but because some people on here (Pete S, Simsy and Imberboy) were thinking of others on Christmas Eve I think it simply reminded us (it did me) that completing the shopping or worrying about how many presents the kids were getting is not the most important thing in the world.

This has been a good deed; not by me contributing a few quid but because people like Pete and Simsy had a friend's (or even a stranger's in Imberboy's case) needs to the fore of their thinking at a time when it is all too easy for us to be a little self indulgent.

From what others have said about you Fingers I suspect you would have been the instigator of such a thread if it was happening to somone else that you knew.

You don't have to justify yourself at all.

Here's to you beating this Fingers.

All the very best and KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Hello Fingers.

I feel privlleged to have been part of this and I'm sure that goes for all others on here who have responded to Pete's call for help .

Also, like many others on here, you and I have never met.

However, that doesn't matter as I think that people realised that your circumstances could happen to any of us at any time.

Maybe it was simply Christmas spirit, maybe it would have been the same at any other time of the year, I don't know.

None of us can change all the ills of the world but because some people on here (Pete S, Simsy and Imberboy) were thinking of others on Christmas Eve I think it simply reminded us (it did me) that completing the shopping or worrying about how many presents the kids were getting is not the most important thing in the world.

This has been a good deed; not by me contributing a few quid but because people like Pete and Simsy had a friend's (or even a stranger's in Imberboy's case) needs to the fore of their thinking at a time when it is all too easy for us to be a little self indulgent.

From what others have said about you Fingers I suspect you would have been the instigator of such a thread if it was happening to somone else that you knew.

You don't have to justify yourself at all.

Here's to you beating this Fingers.

All the very best and KTF.

Drew.

You've hit the nail on the head with that Drew.

I myself don't know fingers but have been in the same position as him this year and believe me its not nice.

I have now turned the corner with lots of help from my Northern Soul mates and can now sleep at night knowing that some scumbag debt collector is'nt trying to break my front door down or even terrified to anwser the phone.

So chin up fingers, your on the Right Track to sorting it out.

KTF Brav

Social source share

Pete, I'm glad this has had the support that Johnny deserves. As everyone has mentioned, he is indeed a selfless and generous man.

I think that maybe the response was even better than you'd first hoped.

So chatting with a few others last nite, it came up that there had been talk of a cut going to charity.

I hope I'm not speaking out of term but the little I gave didn't affect my finances in any way and I wouldn't care if Johnny got enough dosh to cover his debts and take him on a round the world trip but I would want every penny I donated to go to him as it's only a small payback for the things he's done for me...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Pete, I'm glad this has had the support that Johnny deserves. As everyone has mentioned, he is indeed a selfless and generous man.

I think that maybe the response was even better than you'd first hoped.

So chatting with a few others last nite, it came up that there had been talk of a cut going to charity.

I hope I'm not speaking out of term but the little I gave didn't affect my finances in any way and I wouldn't care if Johnny got enough dosh to cover his debts and take him on a round the world trip but I would want every penny I donated to go to him as it's only a small payback for the things he's done for me...thumbsup.gif

No thats bollocks and I'm not happy about someone saying that, it was just an IDEA I happened to mention that if it went over a certain amount maybe we could give the rest to cancer research but that was all it was, just a thought.

Social source share

No thats bollocks and I'm not happy about someone saying that, it was just an IDEA I happened to mention that if it went over a certain amount maybe we could give the rest to cancer research but that was all it was, just a thought.

Why not ask people to stop donating when it gets to that certain amount?

After all people are giving money to Johnny and not Cancer Research.

I'm not being funny Pete, just saying.

Social source share

Why not ask people to stop donating when it gets to that certain amount?

After all people are giving money to Johnny and not Cancer Research.

I'm not being funny Pete, just saying.

OK then.

Everybody, you can stop donating now.

Thank you once again for the fantastic response, you should all be very proud of yourselves.

Now all I have to do is hand over the money and that'll be that.

Social source share

OK then.

Everybody, you can stop donating now.

Thank you once again for the fantastic response, you should all be very proud of yourselves.

Now all I have to do is hand over the money and that'll be that.

Jeez Pete all I said was people were giving money to John not Cancer Research.

I don't think anyone gives a toss how much money gets raised. In fact I am sure everyone would agree the more the better! As long as it all goes to Johnny.

Social source share

Jeez Pete all I said was people were giving money to John not Cancer Research.

I don't think anyone gives a toss how much money gets raised. In fact I am sure everyone would agree the more the better! As long as it all goes to Johnny.

No fuck it, this is all I've been doing over christmas, somebody else can do it now. I did not say I was going to give the money to cancer research (It was kids cancer charity actually) I said PERHAPS if it went so high we could POSSIBLY do that eventually.

It's impossible for a topic to run on this site without someone shit stirring isn't it, and I'm really gutted that it's come to this, I'm furious that what I said in a PM to someone has been used as FACT and for me this has left a bad taste in my mouth, Sian (especially) and Joan, why not come straight to me if you've got something to say or if you want to know something.

Sorry if this sounds like a typical dummy out of the pram reaction but I've worked hard and long at this, anyone who wants their money back is welcome to it.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

No fuck it, this is all I've been doing over christmas, somebody else can do it now. I did not say I was going to give the money to cancer research (It was kids cancer charity actually) I said PERHAPS if it went so high we could POSSIBLY do that eventually.

As instigator, administrator and accountant for this thread I do think Pete deserves a medal as big as a bin lid.

Turn off the PC Pete, grab a baileys, put yer feet up and spend some time with the family,

Your sterling effort has been incredible, no one could have put anymore in

Well done Mr Smithhatsoff2.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert