The Bristol Hotel Gloucester

Billywhizz

2nd anniversary 19 dec 1987;just watch dvd footage. it looks like a soul night to me, nice to see sue buck on the floor lovely dancer, probably the last footage of jeffro before he went to the states, 2 lads i havent seen for over 20 years, he had a white vest on with 2 blue stripes on the side, and the other lad was dancing as well as djing short dark hair blue sweatshirt he was playing some excellent tracks r they still about on the scene any info please.

Billy

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

2nd anniversary 19 dec 1987;just watch dvd footage. it looks like a soul night to me, nice to see sue buck on the floor lovely dancer, probably the last footage of jeffro before he went to the states, 2 lads i havent seen for over 20 years, he had a white vest on with 2 blue stripes on the side, and the other lad was dancing as well as djing short dark hair blue sweatshirt he was playing some excellent tracks r they still about on the scene any info please.

Billy

Billy

Always had a great night at the Bristol Hotel and yes was a soul night.

Also have a copy of the dvd from the night and am on it several times wearing a white belt which must have been fashionable at the time but somewhat embarrased to look back at it now, anyway will dig it out and see who was dee-jaying on the night.

Wonderful memories!

Mark

Lots of Gloucester soulies but also remember the Worcester crowd, South Wales etc.

Social source share

Billy

Always had a great night at the Bristol Hotel and yes was a soul night.

Also have a copy of the dvd from the night and am on it several times wearing a white belt which must have been fashionable at the time but somewhat embarrased to look back at it now, anyway will dig it out and see who was dee-jaying on the night.

Wonderful memories!

Mark

Lots of Gloucester soulies but also remember the Worcester crowd, South Wales etc.

cheers mark, white belt hmm,

Social source share

Probably on it somewhere myself? Really strange thing about it is SECOND? anniversaryohmy.gif as the Bristol was at the forefront of the Gloucester scene from the early seventies (who remembers Mr Penguins mobile disco show? with Tony Berry AKA Tony Lott)

I actually turned up one night with original copies of Bok to Bach(issue),Baby reconsider(issue) and a Shirley and the Shirelles(demo) and was treated like royalty!

Steve

Typical Gloucester soul night venue though renowned for punchups as much as the music!!

yes steve your quite right this was the forefront of venues in glos before maxies etc being to young myself for the likes of the torch etc at that time was glad to see people like yourself turn up with top sounds was one of the guys there a fair haired chap always wore one black glove think his surname was berry but dont quote me his mum worked on the telephone switch board at pickfords glass while i worked there.

all the best col

Edited by colboy
Social source share

who remembers Mr Penguins mobile disco show? with Tony Berry (AKA Tony Lott)

Oh yes, he did a lot to push soul in Cheltenham and Gloucester as he was resident at the Spa Lounge at the end of the 60's/start of the 70's, went on to be a record plugger at Arista, havn't heard of him since the late 80's though.

Also published "Collectors Soul" fanzine...ads for Art Freeman for 32/6d etc...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

One of my fave memories of the Bristol Hotel is a slightly inebriated Hippo being asked for a request, and using the mic to inform the fella that the Ace of Clubs was about a 15 minute walk in THAT direction. thumbup.gif

Social source share

Who? Me? Surely not....whistling.gif

Hi Jerry, thanks for the opportunity of playing my choices on your now legendary radio show yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed myself!

I remember the Bristol Hotel for a variety of reasons some of which are not suitable for sharing on a public forum such as this though!!

I particularly remember the nights organised there by Duggie Parker in the early eighties before it was revived by Denis Lee et al (I think) about 85/6. Doug, myself and Des Parker were scheduled to DJ for the first one and in my youthful innocence I had decided that the Northern Soul scene was in need of updating. So off I trotted down to the smoke and spent about a months wages on the latest new releases (mostly on import 12's and lp's up to £7.50 a pop - in those days a huge sum!).

Naturally I cleared the dance floor playing the likes of High Fashion, Sunfire, Khemistry and Mark Sadane and was asked by more than one oldies fan to vacate the premises immediately! Some of the remarks directed toward my musical choice were amongst the fruitiest to be uttered at a soul venue. I tried again at the next one to meet once again with the same response so sadly gave up my crusade!

For all that I enjoyed the nights we put on and remember the venue fondly.

Postscript to that is that 25 years later I now go to venues where some of the same people are dancing away quite happily to Greg Perry etc

Cheers and Merry Christmasss!!!!!!

Sean

Social source share

Hi Jerry, thanks for the opportunity of playing my choices on your now legendary radio show yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed myself!

I remember the Bristol Hotel for a variety of reasons some of which are not suitable for sharing on a public forum such as this though!!

Good choices too Sean - and yes, there were some pretty wild nights at the BH!

Social source share

Had some great nights there...we even ran a coach from South Wales one night.

Also dj'ed there a few times :thumbsup: when Dennis Lee was running it.

Dave ...you forgot to mention the Roundabout...some good nights there too

Best

Edwin

Edited by Eddies
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Also dj'ed there a few times ohmy.gif when Dennis Lee was running it.

Best

Edwin

Its a bit gut wrenching driving into Gloucester and passing where the Roundabout used to be. Agree its one of the most memorable venues in Gloucester.

Social source share

Also dj'ed there a few times ohmy.gif when Dennis Lee was running it.

Best

Edwin

EDWIN, DIDNT WE GO IN YOUR DADS PRINCESS ONCE OR TWICE

OR IS THAT ANOTHER STORY

whistling.gif WAZZ.

Social source share

I remember the Bristol Hotel very well, was interviewed along with my ex-wife on the way in for said (video)/ DVD recordingwhistling.gif I wouldn't recognise myself if I hadn't had a speaking partshades.gif .....Great days, also loved the Roundabout and the YMCA venues......"Proper Northern"yes.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Ronnie Godwin

Hi Billywhizz

Would you happen to have a copy of a dvd taken at one of the bristol hotel soul nights. I understand that my boyfriend is in the footage, and it would be cool to grab a copy to show him when he's least expecting it!!! - a forthcoming birthday bash would be ideal to present the dvd. Please let me know if you can help. Ronnie: 07895 863 719 or mail: rhonda.godwin@btinternet.com. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks hun

Pete Wickham one of the lads,if anyone interested in dvd pm me billy

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Probably on it somewhere myself? Really strange thing about it is SECOND? anniversaryohmy.gif as the Bristol was at the forefront of the Gloucester scene from the early seventies (who remembers Mr Penguins mobile disco show? with Tony Berry AKA Tony Lott)

Sadly, just come across this from 2009...

https://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1038239

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert