How Many Versions?

Guest soulpeeper

Guest soulpeeper

How many versions of this tune exist? Obviously Yvonne Baker is timeless to most of us and i like Patti Austin's 70's version.. Ive been into this scene for years but only know of these two versions... surely there must be more recorded attempts to capture the magic of a great song...

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How many versions of this tune exist? Obviously Yvonne Baker is timeless to most of us and i like Patti Austin's 70's version.. Ive been into this scene for years but only know of these two versions... surely there must be more recorded attempts to capture the magic of a great song...

Only the two I'm afraid. The Patti Austin 70's version (whilst great in its own way) is still kinda limp compared to the earlier superior Yvonne Baker recording, one of the greatest Northern Soul records of all time. Pretty much unbeatable IMO. Did she ever record again?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

There's Brenda Holloway's re-recording, but compared to the other two ....

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

How about the instrumental that never was: 'Times Gone By' by Music Track on International Artists. This got a few plays in the days where instrumentals and fast turnover of records were the order of the day. In fact I remember going through Richard Searling's box trying to get him to sell me stuff at knock down prices when he played this and introduced it as "Don't Say A Word"

It's actually the instrumental to a song of the same name by the Disciples of Shaftesbury. The Music Track version came out on International Artists on the flip of "Sweet Thang" by Frankie & Johnny, which I recall sounds like sort of country punk. The Texas label is mainly of interest to collectors af 60s garage/psch - as you would expect with artists like 13th Floor Elevators and Red Krayola.

Social source share

Only the two I'm afraid. The Patti Austin 70's version (whilst great in its own way) is still kinda limp compared to the earlier superior Yvonne Baker recording, one of the greatest Northern Soul records of all time. Pretty much unbeatable IMO. Did she ever record again?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian , you'll kick yourself .....Yvonne recorded her version of " I Can't change " c/w " Mend The Torn Pieces " on Junior records , sure you know that tho ' .........Best,Eddie

Social source share

And her great 'My baby Needs me' on Modern. Also there's Lorraines Chandler's 'You Only Live Twice' and Milton Bennett's 'What's One More Lie' vocal and inst that are very closely related. Particularly Lorraine's when you realise she also did the original of 'Mend The Torn Pieces' and 'I Can't Change', her YOLT was probably the blueprint for YDSAW, there was a big Detroit / Philly / GWP NYC link with the Pied Piper recordings.

Social source share

am sure rod stewart will have covered it whistling.gif

Social source share

Ian , you'll kick yourself .....Yvonne recorded her version of " I Can't change " c/w " Mend The Torn Pieces " on Junior records , sure you know that tho ' .........Best,Eddie

Ah, maybe I made a continuity error Eddie. I always assumed that "You Didn't Say A Word" was after "I Can't Change". The production on "Didn't Say A Word" sounds much better and more contemporary than "I Can't Change" which always sounded dated and slightly doo-woppy to me. I was really wondering what happened to her after "Didn't Say A Word" 'cos her performance on that is right up there with my all-time faves. I think it's one of the greatest productions, greatest arrangements and greatest vocals ever laid to plastic and it's almost inconceivable to me that she disappeared after that........

......there again what about Jodi Mathis? What happened to her? How can a vocalist of that magnitude just disappear into the ether..........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Ah, maybe I made a continuity error Eddie. I always assumed that "You Didn't Say A Word" was after "I Can't Change". The production on "Didn't Say A Word" sounds much better and more contemporary than "I Can't Change" which always sounded dated and slightly doo-woppy to me. I was really wondering what happened to her after "Didn't Say A Word" 'cos her performance on that is right up there with my all-time faves. I think it's one of the greatest productions, greatest arrangements and greatest vocals ever laid to plastic and it's almost inconceivable to me that she disappeared after that........

......there again what about Jodi Mathis? What happened to her? How can a vocalist of that magnitude just disappear into the ether..........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Off topic againinnocent.gif but,Jodi Mathis - first time i heard this at the Mecca thought it was announced as Johnny Mathislaugh.gif .As you say top vocals, a firm fave in the Holmes residence.

Social source share

Off topic againinnocent.gif but,Jodi Mathis - first time i heard this at the Mecca thought it was announced as Johnny Mathislaugh.gif .As you say top vocals, a firm fave in the Holmes residence.

I assumed that she might be related to Johnny and Capitol picked it up because of that but I've never researched her. Maybe someone on here knows more............?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

With his connections and knowledge , I am sure Kev Roberts may have information on YB .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

What is the story behind these Bond type themes?

I've always assumed it ties in with the reggae/ska tracks with similar themes of the same time.... trying to cash in on a current phenomenon?

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

these two thought it would all end after the wheel shut . as it turns out they have every badge ever sold on the scene. Now on the subject of original clothing....

post-11534-12611324669927_thumb.jpg

post-11534-12611324669927_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert