Who Discovered What ?

INVITATIONS - SKIING IN THE SNOW

Didn't Keith Minshull play this at the Torch ?

Yeah, it was either Keith or Martyn Ellis I think....?

More to the point, what did you find that I left at that unbelievable place in Denver in '89? sad.gif

Don't worry, I can take the pain Dave. I only had enough time to scoop up most of the known originals - I was on a plane the next day so I know I left a shitload plus in '89 I was waaaaay out of the loop for the unknowns and Stafford/post 80's stuff so I know you cleaned up!

C'mon mate.....put me out of my misery.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

More to the point, what did you find that I left at that unbelievable place in Denver in '89? sad.gif

Don't worry, I can take the pain Dave. I only had enough time to scoop up most of the known originals - I was on a plane the next day so I know I left a shitload plus in '89 I was waaaaay out of the loop for the unknowns and Stafford/post 80's stuff so I know you cleaned up!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Oh that place.....Well l got the rare Johnny Paycheck from there and the seldom seen Jimmy Clatterbucket along with a ton of odd Soul records.........You at Prestatyn in March?? wink.gif

Social source share

INVITATIONS - SKIING IN THE SNOW

Didn't Keith Minshull play this at the Torch ?

boxing.gifHi IT WAS PEP ALONG WITH TAMIKO JONES, VELORS, HOWEVER I AM SURE HE BORROWED THAT FROM MICK SMITH, AN YOU REMEMBER THE NIGHT HIS RECORDS WERE STOLEN AND ALL HE GOT BACK WAS THE BOX & 1 R5ECORED? I NO HOW HE FELT HOWEVER HIS WAS A CLASSIC DJ BOX MINE WAS A GOOD RARE RECORD BOX IF YOU FOLLOW MY DRIFT. i RECKON WE AS THE SUPPORTING BROTHER & SISTERHOOD MAKE A DEMAND FROM THOSE WE CAN SPEAK TO. AS ALWAYS! ADY C IS ON THE REAL SIDE, TO RUN DOWN THE TOP 1000 RECORDS OR AT LEAST THE MAIN PLAYERS SHOULD GIVE US SOME OF THE RECORDS, AS ALREADY MOST OF THE TALK IS EDGING AWAY FROM THE RECOGNISED TOP TUNES THAT HAVE BEEN UNEARTHED OVER THE LAST 40 YEARS, CAN I CLAIM TO BE THE FIST PERSON TO BREAK THE SHARONETTES PAPA OO MOW MOW THE NIGHT IT WAS RELEASED AT WIGAN SOMEONE CANT REMEMBER WHO HAD A HANDFUL OF 45s I ASKED TO LOOK AT ONE AND JUST SNAPPED IT HALF, I REMEMBER A FEW JAWS DROPPING, WHO WAS THERE THAT NIGHT TELL ME OOMOW MOW ph34r.gif PAPA DAVE MOW MOE

post-13241-12604889394232_thumb.gif WOW MAN DAVES COOL!

Social source share

Oh that place.....Well l got the rare Johnny Paycheck from there and the seldom seen Jimmy Clatterbucket along with a ton of odd Soul records.........You at Prestatyn in March?? wink.gif

Bugger! I know you had a major hit there. Did I ever mention that I went to a rodeo show in Cheyenne, Wyoming and found an Al Wilson in the middle of a zillion Merle Haggard records..............?

And yep, Prestatyn's in the diary for sure. Can't wait. I know it'll be a howling monsoon as usual but who needs Miami when you have Wales LOL.....

See ya there.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

Bugger! I know you had a major hit there. Did I ever mention that I went to a rodeo show in Cheyenne, Wyoming and found an Al Wilson in the middle of a zillion Merle Haggard records..............?

And yep, Prestatyn's in the diary for sure. Can't wait. I know it'll be a howling monsoon as usual but who needs Miami when you have Wales LOL.....

See ya there.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

See ya there.

Ian D biggrin.gif

good.gif

Social source share

Of course. I got them all from you with the exception of Jan Jones. Luckey Davis was a big Cleethorpes record at the time. Was Wes Black one of yours ?

Hi Steve,

Well recall the third copy of Jan Jones that came to the UK (think only Ian Clarke & Sam had it at the time) Arrived in a box from Toronto, while I was at Alan Seniors one saturday afternoon.

Never realised the first ones came from Dave.

Yep - Luckey Davis was a Cleggy monster mate. We all had it (again, most prob from Dave).

Oh... and I have a nice shiny record for you...:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Always thought Dave Godin brought Sandi Sheldon up north!

g.gif

Sean

Yep, that rings a bell Sean. Can anyone confirm? It makes sense 'cos Dave would have been on every U.S. mailing list going in the 60's, so he probably came up with a few more besides.

Also I know John Abbey from Blues & Soul must have had James Fountain before it was discovered up North 'cos he ended up selling the second copy but it's got me thinking what else he may have had in his personal collection (this was the one that ended up in a record shop in Southend wasn't it)............

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Er... Jan Jones, Bileo, Family of Eve, Bill, Lucky Davis......

Bileo I got from the Label owner (he sent me a few of them) along with copies of Bill Williams "Things Will Be Better Tomorrow".

Think Sam had the Bileo covered as The Fantastic Puzzles, when someone :g:told me the true origin/title.

Immediately sent a letter to MTU Watts City...

...if only we'd all had email back then!

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Yep, that rings a bell Sean. Can anyone confirm? It makes sense 'cos Dave would have been on every U.S. mailing list going in the 60's, so he probably came up with a few more besides.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Adlibs "Nothings Worse Than Being Alone" too Ian, around the same time.... VanMcCoyTastic!

:wicked:

Sean

PS: I have something for you too :(

Social source share

Looking back through the latest posts to answer a question. Rufus Lumley was originally from Roger Stewart who brought it to The Bear in Stoke one Friday night before Wigan Oldies All-Nighter. We always stopped off in Stoke so Wid could have gravy on his chips. Roger brought up the LP to laugh at the picture on the cover until someone, don't know who, took it up to the decks and played through the LP and found 'Stronger Than Me' and then played it over the system. It still destroy's me as a story of how a record was discovered! Cheers, Ady

Social source share

post-13241-12604940264088_thumb.jpg

boxing.gifA BIG HELLO TO THE NIGHT OWLS, AS A BREAK HERE IS A LIST FROM THE 8ts.. ADEY TAKE A LOOK AT THE FLUCTUATION IN PRICES, A SURE GOOD GUIDE TO WHAT WAS IN VOUE AND OUT AND COMPAIRED TO PROPER RARE AND MICKS INTERPRETATION EX:FRANKIE & JOHNY THE PRICE REFLECT THE ORIG ISSUE DISCUSSED BACK IN THE THREAD? ENJOY ALSO IN 72/3 MY FAV TUNES NCLUDED MEL WILLIAMS & THE HESITATIONS "IM NOT BUILT THAT WAY" CLASSICS BUT WHO PLAYED THEM I GOT MY COPY OF MEL FROM JOHN ANDERSON 74 THE HESITATIONS I GOT FROM CONTEMPOS IN HANNAWAY ST 75np summer 73 just after it was booted ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-12604940954822_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Is that the place you told us about in the record diggin' thread? The one with the big (american) indian across the burger shop?

Still wondering who discovered Ace Spectrum?

Social source share

Graham Warr .........just came across this--knew he had discovered a few but.........................that is SOME list!!!!!

Ref: A previous thread on here with regards to a Cats reunion at Soulvation........

Graham was already drifting away from the Rare Soul scene by the time The Cats closed and didn't bother trying to DJ here, there and everywhere, and I reckon that's why he is so under-rated. He moved on to contemporary music and became an absolute icon as a jazz funk DJ.

Graham_Warr_discoveries.jpg

Social source share

Graham Warr .........just came across this--knew he had discovered a few but.........................that is SOME list!!!!!

Ref: A previous thread on here with regards to a Cats reunion at Soulvation........

Graham was already drifting away from the Rare Soul scene by the time The Cats closed and didn't bother trying to DJ here, there and everywhere, and I reckon that's why he is so under-rated. He moved on to contemporary music and became an absolute icon as a jazz funk DJ.

Graham_Warr_discoveries.jpg

Words fail me, stunners everyone - Luther Ingram a timeless classic thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I remember buying the first known copy of Gracie Dumas J-Gems off you, 82-83? (as opposed to the studio disc discovered by Barrie Wadd)

Tony I was convinced (and still am) that Barrie had two of those 10 inch Gracie Dumas knocking round his house.....

He once 'posted' through my letter box Sonny Carver on Mussete - just the record in a paper sleeve.....whistling.gif

Social source share

Who played FRANKIE BUTLER ITWYW first I recall hearing Sam play it at The Raven Whitchurch in the summer '73 along with the Poets Two Hearts

Wigan started in the spring but I don't recall hearing that one untill much later on.

As an side we all know the 1st record Russ played but what else was on the playlist that 1st night?

Merry Christmas

John

Social source share

Brilliant thread. Fascinating stuff.

I remember Ian Levine crediting Tony Rounce with a lot of early discoveries, that he would then supply Levine with. This was when Tony was working at Record Corner in the late 60s/ early 70s. I think a lot of the early RCA discoveries were amongst the tunes.

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

Brilliant thread. Fascinating stuff.

I remember Ian Levine crediting Tony Rounce with a lot of early discoveries, that he would then supply Levine with. This was when Tony was working at Record Corner in the late 60s/ early 70s. I think a lot of the early RCA discoveries were amongst the tunes.

I wondered when Tony Rounce would get a mention.

He would be able to fill in a few gaps from the early 70's for sure.

Social source share

I wondered when Tony Rounce would get a mention.

He would be able to fill in a few gaps from the early 70's for sure.

You could fill a seperate thread with the stuff which was originally turned up in London in the early 70's. Transport links were tougher, there wasn't much communication and Northerners going down to London record-digging was a relative rarity anyway, so a handful of guys - Dave Rivers, Dave Burton, Ian Clarke, Tony and Ady had the whole of London to plunder lucky buggers......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

With the odd sneaky Northerner pre-Wigan sourcing Carl Douglas, Frankie and the Classicals, Brothers Grimm from Morris's on Tottenham Ct Rd plus the confectioners in Bethnal Green with all the MGM demos(qty on Kim Weston and Johnny Nash) before stupidly leaving several copies of Jethro Toe(Tull).....the re-sales certainly helped my box improve! Spring of '73......

Social source share

Couple more to be claimed? - Epitome of Sound and Morris Chestnut.

Morris Chestnut - Ian Levine I think.

Epitome of Sound- Both Russ and I received acetates from Simon S a few months before the first original finally surfaced.

And one I totally forgot.....I had the first Casualeers from SS unless anyone claims they played it before Wigan.

Social source share

Good one. Here's a few more 'who discovered's'

Pre-73/ Fidels, Sandi Sheldon, Shalimars, Danny White- Cracked.

Golden Era/ R. Dean Taylor-Ghost, Yum Yums, Tomangoes.

Post 81/ Tommy Ridgley, Karmello Brooks.

Kev's useless trivia No.927...... Soul Sam first played Rubin's-You've Been Away at the Top Rank, Hanley early 1974.

No.928....Long before Top of the World All Nighters I played Joanne Courcey on Twirl in 74 at the same venue's Monday Soul nights.

Claiming that you played any thing first is always a dangerous thing, as there is always someone that pop's up and say 'No it was Bert Sufflebottom, who play it first at the Ah Uoop youth club in 1853.

But I was playing Kamello Brooks, late Yate/early Stafford and it was very popular. I sold it to John Anderson at the end of Stafford and it seemed to pick up popularity again in the late 80's

Dave

Social source share

Claiming that you played any thing first is always a dangerous thing, as there is always someone that pop's up and say 'No it was Bert Sufflebottom, who play it first at the Ah Uoop youth club in 1853.

Brilliant, I remember that night wellwhistling.gif ...love this thread, but as a novice I never found much vinyl of value on trips to London and now I know why, those experts on the ground who I now call friends were ahead of me every doggone time!

Social source share

Brilliant, I remember that night wellwhistling.gif ...love this thread, but as a novice I never found much vinyl of value on trips to London and now I know why, those experts on the ground who I now call friends were ahead of me every doggone time!

Actually, the Kamello Brooks came out of the back of U.S. Deletions, Gloucester Rd, Bristol. As did many a rare LP. Heard Richard play Astral Trip at Wigan C/U, he told me what it was and got three copies of the LP a few days later from there. Same story with Harley Hatcher-Soul Hustler, wonder what happened to all their stock ?

Social source share

were a lot of lads who had good stuff when i was younger

jack bollington

brian 45 philips

johnny mac

pete lowrie

steve glover

johnny beggs

barr--asian lad i used to see at wigan

====================================================================================

remember goin brians house in middleton i think,on train from crewe to manchester,then on bus from piccadilly to middleton

had some money for him for some records keith minshull had bought,was gonna pick them up as i used to dj with him at

the speakeasy on a sunday,minch paid travel and money for tunes

got there and picked up the said records in a box,after paying for travel had 60p left or so---------RESULT

so thought look on brian philips list (he had a 50p section)

looked through it mmmmmmmm detroit executives --sounds good--but didnt know it--is it still there-----YES

or nancy wilson---the end of our love----CURRENT BUZZ ON THIS SET TO BE BIG PLAY THEN

Yes you guested it------TOOK THE NANCY WILSON

Edited by keithw
Social source share

With the odd sneaky Northerner pre-Wigan sourcing Carl Douglas, Frankie and the Classicals, Brothers Grimm from Morris's on Tottenham Ct Rd plus the confectioners in Bethnal Green with all the MGM demos(qty on Kim Weston and Johnny Nash) before stupidly leaving several copies of Jethro Toe(Tull).....the re-sales certainly helped my box improve! Spring of '73......

Plus that Electrical shop in Brick Lane that ordered one of everything in the 60's was handy. We got a Carl Douglas out of there plus Jim Wilson's in Shoreditch of course.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

were a lot of lads who had good stuff when i was younger

jack bollington

brian 45 philips

johnny mac

pete lowrie

steve glover

====================================================================================

remember goin brians house in middleton i think,on train from crewe to manchester,then on bus from piccadilly to middleton

had some money for him for some records keith minshull had bought,was gonna pick them up as i used to dj with him at

the speakeasy on a sunday,minch paid travel and money for tunes

got there and picked up the said records in a box,after paying for travel had 60p left or so---------RESULT

so thought look on brian philips list (he had a 50p section)

looked through it mmmmmmmm detroit executives --sounds good--but didnt know it--is it still there-----YES

or nancy wilson---the end of our love----CURRENT BUZZ ON THIS SET TO BE BIG PLAY THEN

Yes you guested it------TOOK THE NANCY WILSON

Jack always had goodies but it was murder getting anything out of him and Kev LOL.......

Levine got the Detroit Executives from Brian and I was kicking myself 'cos I liked the sound of it too. When he played it at the Mecca the next Saturday I realised I'd made a huge rick. Luckily I got mine off Russ fairly quickly. Instant floorfiller for the next couple of years.......then found an Ideals @ Cheapo Cheapo shortly thereafter........

Always wanted the Nancy Wilson on British but never found one.........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Whoever discovered these?

HOLLY ST.JAMES, LARRY TRIDER, BILLY ARNELL and JOEY DELORENZO.

The firing squad is ready.....who wants to pull the trigger thumbup.gif

I'm afraid he who shall not be named found a bunch of Holly St James on one of his U.S. trips and used 'em as swops for stuff he needed from the UK, so I guess that's another one down to him......it took a while to take off after that though.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!