Who Discovered What ?

I remember going in MOONDOGS in ilford record hunting and pulling a pile of 45s to play, the guy put one on the deck to play and the phone rang , which he answered . at the end of the record i said "ok i want that one" he replied you cant the guy on the phone has just bought it!!!! the record...........lenis guess ..........that man on the other end of the phone who gazzumped me , keith minshull , never let him forget it either!!! he thrashed it at the torch!!!!

Boo Hoo Dave :thumbup: you got him back with The Fuller Brothers :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Simon

I don't think Guy ever considered JW good enough to play out, but he did handle the original couple of copies. First spins were probably at Thorne by Pete Shirley and Rod Dearlove a few years later.

Always thought Gary Walsh played/introduced Jospeh Webster - My Love Is So Strong (Crow) first, as he promoted and ran Thorne nite under Simply Soul Promotions before Rod Dearlove.

Always remember Pete Shirley for first playing Solid Soultion - Think About It Baby - off the very rare LP back then.

But as this thread is widely providing correct new data - and new self claiments - then carry on time team diggers.

Social source share

As Steve said back then a record could have two completely different lives in two parts of the country.

I used to go to this furniture shop by the collage in Swindon, the guy always had some interesting 45's, as I said before found MM & The Peanuts & Purple Mundi there, most of what he had was southern, also found a Barbara West-Congratulations baby. On my way home I poped in to see Steve Snook who lived in Cirencester, played him my new find and he asked if he could borrow it to play it a some local do a few days later and would give it back to me next weekend at Yate. Come next weekend he turns up with it already covered up as Lynn Vanardo, 'That's what you should play it as'.

But back to my point about two lives, that same day I found a copy of Ronda Davis - Do you remember, decided to cover it up as Ann Sexton - Oh boy. Played it for a year there until Clarkie found another copy. Now many years later I am reciting this story and Rod Shard chips in you didn't discover that, it had already been played in the north west a few yaers earlier un-covered. Strangley no one a Yate worked out what it was for nearly a year.

Hi Dave i did cover up Barbara West and think i had for 2 weeks as i took it to Wigan and Richard played it in the main room,it went down well.Should have sold it to him!!!!

Thanks Dave..

Social source share

No, they are different. The Showstoppers now reside in Rhode Island with the lead singer attending SoultripUSA 2006. The Four Perfections were high school kids led by Marvin Steals.

The song incidentally was recorded at Cameo Parkway's studio in late 1967.

Irononically they failed to meet each other while at the event. I did manage to reunite the original engineer on the session(Joe Tarsia) with Marvin.

I expect most of the musicians became MFSB.

Kev

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

No, they are different. The Showstoppers now reside in Rhode Island with the lead singer attending SoultripUSA 2006. The Four Perfections were high school kids led by Marvin Steals.

Irononically they failed to meet each other while at the event. I did manage to reunite the original engineer on the session(Joe Tarsia) with Marvin.

Kev

Thanks for clearing that. I always thought they were one and the same outfit. Do you have any more background information about The Four Perfections or the Party Time label? "I'm not strong..." is one of my alltime faves and it'd be nice to know more about the song..

Social source share

So who first discovered Tony Clarke "Landslide"? And can you remember the buzz it gave you when you first heard it?? I can!thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

He who shall not be named again! Absolutely phenomenal when first played. We couldn't stop singing it on the way back from the Mecca the first time he played it. One of the greatest IMO.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

He who shall not be named again! Absolutely phenomenal when first played. We couldn't stop singing it on the way back from the Mecca the first time he played it. One of the greatest IMO.....

Ian D :D

IL played it at The Torch before The Mecca ..... in the February of 1973 if my memory serves well .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

C'mon John. Is that seriously the only thing you're going to say on this thread. I know you're fed up with the attitude sometimes on here and you promised to never post again, but a thread like this needs guys filled with obsolete data like you. It's a shame you only participate to give you credit where it's due. It'd be great to hear more stories from you...

There has been many threads about classic 70s discoeries (never boring, keep 'em coming), but I've always wondered who discovered more recent plays ie Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin (Rode By The Place), Exportatios I Want you, 5 Royales, etc..

PS I'm I the only one on here who kinda likes The FLasher?

Hands Up ! Ace Spectrum was a one i gave to Richard (Searling) in 1980. Thought it was a perfect selection for Clifton Hall, but he did'nt use until later. Also let him have dubs of Magnetics, Norma Jenkins (Aeroplane Song) and others that i cant now recall.

Other memorable ones include Admirations on Peach's to Gary Rusbrooke, Jimmy Fraser & Four Reputations to Pat Brady.

Too much water has gone under the bridge!

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

I think Richard used to work @ Global didn't he? I'm pretty sure that's where he picked up most of his early goodies - I think he flew out to Bernie Binnick's place a couple of times (was that where he got the Volcanoes?). "Mr Big Shot" also came out of Global but I think Rick ????? found that (forgot his surname).

Didn't Bobby 'Guitar' Woods come from Black Grape originally? I'm sure that was buried away on Gary's shelves for ages 'cos it looked like a blues record...........mind you anything was possible back then. Records were everywhere up North.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Rick Cooper, Bobby G Woods came from Martin Koppell

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

boxing.gif Mick Smith has the rights to Landslide and I clearly remember the first time he payed it was in Hitchin at the Dive he played the B side by mistake? he and Clive had returned from the States with a handful of rare tunes, as I have said a few times he/they would take the to the Mecca and either He that shall not be mentioned (HTSNBM) or Tony Jebb would play them also Kieth Minshal did the same as he knows what the dynamic due found as well as me or Cloth Ears & Adey,as I say in them days I was surrounded by records before they went UP T NORTHph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Kev, that be GEORGE GRECCO, now living in Las Vegas.

Ps i ended up with the Tamala Lewis that ended up with Pat Brady.......small world.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

can anyone talk about the stuff on shrine. like who discovered eddie daye and the four bars, how did the rest start to surface. turn up . were there really only twelve singles. a mte of mine talks about owning an album on shrine. was this a re-issue or are there originals floating about?just spent last couple hours on this thread bloody marvelous,thanks to evryone who has shared .

Social source share

can anyone talk about the stuff on shrine. like who discovered eddie daye and the four bars, how did the rest start to surface. turn up . were there really only twelve singles. a mte of mine talks about owning an album on shrine. was this a re-issue or are there originals floating about?just spent last couple hours on this thread bloody marvelous,thanks to evryone who has shared .

No idea where the first Shrine single surfaced from. What I can say is, following my hit in Baltimore in 1978, I found Shirley Edwards, Ray Pollard multiple copies. That was the first time I had ever seen the label.

The JD Bryant was discovered in '81 when I cleaned out a guys appartment in New York. His landlord ordered him to sell them or be evuicted as the ceiling below was starting to crack.

Off topic....if I had kept what I found in the Jay D load, you would be staring at half a million quid today.

Every Columbia,Epic,MGM,Decca,Coral,Swan demo imagineable! 250,000 45's for a grand!!

Social source share

I think that should be played by Dave and I at Stafford. Got it off a mate in LA along with Monique. Pretty sure Richard didn't have it.

ROD

Sounds about right to me Rod, How you doing dear boy.

I know your not one for lots of plaudits, but you and the Bearded One turn up some great stuff over the years, Have a happy Christmas.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Ah the Shrine acetate album.

Holy grail or urban myth???

Was sharing a couple of beers one night with John Poole (hatman on here) & he said he had a copy of the Shrine acetate album in his hand in the States & none of the tracks were any of the 7" releases. He also said that every track jumped so he left it.

Now if it had been me I'd have snatched the sellers hand off & somehow got it repaired & remastered so why didn't he.

Social source share

this might be a reference to the Edgewood 10" acetate, which had probably 6 tracks on, that were all unreleased Enjoyables tracks. They were probably cut during their Capitol Records period. The acetate was in pretty poor shape and sound quality was pretty bad. It belonged to Maxx Kidd.

andy

Social source share

From Detroit Northern Soul to Railway Memorabilia????

I wonder if he kept anything?

Some folks are just plain strange. Once a collector always a collector.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Bob also collects brewery memorabilia these days, he also still picks up the odd record.

Bob and the early collectors used to get trains across the country just to show each other their latest number, they were soul label collectors, and ended up with rare records by default in a way, although some weren't so rare back then, especially the Detroit labels, as lots of the records were only 2-4 years old.

Social source share

Ah the Shrine acetate album.

Holy grail or urban myth???

Was sharing a couple of beers one night with John Poole (hatman on here) & he said he had a copy of the Shrine acetate album in his hand in the States & none of the tracks were any of the 7" releases. He also said that every track jumped so he left it.

Now if it had been me I'd have snatched the sellers hand off & somehow got it repaired & remastered so why didn't he.

YEH ID LIKE TO NO WHO DISCOVERED THEVERY FIRST SHRINE RARITY

Social source share

Little Ann....Surely a discovery by John Anderson around 1978? who gave it to Richard.

Andy 'Tats' Taylor then discovered who it was by several years later.

Think Tony was referring to "Who Are You trying To fool" which to my knowledge was known about before Ady got to Dave Hamilton's archives, had it on tape long time.

Don't forget Gilly who was with Tat's when they found the acetate at Dave Hamilton's.

Social source share

It was known about but a bloke called Nigel Martin had the 1st copy that people actually saw. His dad

worked in Canada and got it from Martin Koppell, I think he actually got 2 or 3 copies, anyway people

were camping outside his house to ty and buy it from him. :ohmy:

Chris L

Hi Chris,

I was big mates with a guy called Dave Opacic in Burnley, nicknamed Hopper. He worked at the Reform Club in London in 72 and brought some mega tracks back every week that he promptly sold to me for 25p each. he had a copy of I'm Gone by Billy Sharae on Spectrum and told me that the guy he was buying from told him that Billy was Eddie Parker's brother and had also done a version of Love You Baby, but the best version of I'm Gone was by Eddie Parker. He said if he came across one he would save it for him!

He earned great money in tips from people like David Niven etc, and one weekend flew back from london to Manchester (in 1973!!!) to play football for our pub team on a Sunday. When we got to the pitch the manager told him he was a sub! Hopper, who can still bang a bit, chased him round the pitch!

Social source share

Think Tony was referring to "Who Are You trying To fool" which to my knowledge was known about before Ady got to Dave Hamilton's archives, had it on tape long time.

Don't forget Gilly who was with Tat's when they found the acetate at Dave Hamilton's.

Don't think so Chalkie all the Dave Hamilton stuff that was known about was on a reel he put together for various UK visitors. Who Are You Trying To Fool was not on there and was on a separate largely unmarked reel that I only found because I went through all the tapes. Nobody knew it when it was found.

Social source share

Hi Chris,

I was big mates with a guy called Dave Opacic in Burnley, nicknamed Hopper. He worked at the Reform Club in London in 72 and brought some mega tracks back every week that he promptly sold to me for 25p each. he had a copy of I'm Gone by Billy Sharae on Spectrum and told me that the guy he was buying from told him that Billy was Eddie Parker's brother and had also done a version of Love You Baby, but the best version of I'm Gone was by Eddie Parker. He said if he came across one he would save it for him!

He earned great money in tips from people like David Niven etc, and one weekend flew back from london to Manchester (in 1973!!!) to play football for our pub team on a Sunday. When we got to the pitch the manager told him he was a sub! Hopper, who can still bang a bit, chased him round the pitch!

If memory serves me right Brian Dave's mum was my godmother. Small world eh!

Kev

Social source share

Don't think so Chalkie all the Dave Hamilton stuff that was known about was on a reel he put together for various UK visitors. Who Are You Trying To Fool was not on there and was on a separate largely unmarked reel that I only found because I went through all the tapes. Nobody knew it when it was found.

must be thinking of something else Ady, I'll see if I can find the tape.

Social source share

Thanks for clearing that. I always thought they were one and the same outfit. Do you have any more background information about The Four Perfections or the Party Time label? "I'm not strong..." is one of my alltime faves and it'd be nice to know more about the song..

For many years there were two rumours about the Four Perfections:

1. That two of the Burke Brothers (As in Solomon Burke) were in the line up.

2. That they were the same group as The Showstoppers.

I'm not sure now where the Burke Bros story came from but the Showstoppers "misconnection" was obviously because of Party Time Records. Kev also forgot to mention that there was in fact a couple of brothers in The Four Perfections line up. Marvin Steals had a brother in the line up, Melvin Steals. When we met him it was a complete fluke via Archie Bell. The kind of situation that made (makes) the SoulTrip USA trips the magical thing they are when it comes to artists/backroom staff.

Social source share

Kev

hey kev didnt you find the blue jays point of view ? seem to remember you having afew copies at colony recordsthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

if memory serves me correct wasn't mr levine the first to play a shrine record at the mecca that being the d.c.blossoms whistling.gif

whistling.gifMy guess would have been a local D.C jock would have been the first to play a Shrine record, all this who played it first is b*llocks in most instances, no one really knows, the only ones I will move on is if it's an acetate and even then I guess there room for debate over it. whistling.gif Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!