Canadian Sparton Label - How Rare Is It

Ian Seaman

EG - The Impressions - Can't satisfy - On ABC is about £15/20 ??, so what value a Canadian Sparton issue ??

Based on the size of the country V population etc etc ??, did the Sparton copies end up for sale in the US ?? and how much rarer are they ??

What about Sparton WDJ's ?? are they a lot rarer then US ABC Demo's again based on population & not as many radio stations etc

Not just ABC & The Impressions tho, talking across the board here on all major US labels and even smaller local releases.

Anyone any ideas ?? as price guides don't show them ??

Cheers, Ian.

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

EG - The Impressions - Can't satisfy - On ABC is about £15/20 ??, so what value a Canadian Sparton issue ??

Based on the size of the country V population etc etc ??, did the Sparton copies end up for sale in the US ?? and how much rarer are they ??

What about Sparton WDJ's ?? are they a lot rarer then US ABC Demo's again based on population & not as many radio stations etc

Not just ABC & The Impressions tho, talking across the board here on all major US labels and even smaller local releases.

Anyone any ideas ?? as price guides don't show them ??

Cheers, Ian.

Canadian releases tend to go for less than the U.S. ones (probably because the U.S. copy is usually the 'original' first release)

I prefer to have the Canadian where possible (especially Sparton/Regency/Reo/Quality), purely for the fact they are that little bit different from the norm.

They don't tend to show up as often as U.S. copies though, even on more common releases such as Impressions etc.

Social source share

Hi, i dont know how rare it is or indeed what their full catalogue was but i'll list the two i have seen The Stienways Youve Been Leading Me On.(that was a black and pink label) this one i once owned. 2 the other week i got a Tams Hey Girl Dont Bother Me. from Pete Gent to give as a 50 birthday present for my very old friend Kev from Burton on Trent thanks Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Canadian releases tend to go for less than the U.S. ones (probably because the U.S. copy is usually the 'original' first release)

I prefer to have the Canadian where possible (especially Sparton/Regency/Reo/Quality), purely for the fact they are that little bit different from the norm.

They don't tend to show up as often as U.S. copies though, even on more common releases such as Impressions etc.

from the good old days Andrew....:unsure:

post-1770-12602399137357_thumb.jpg

post-1770-12602399137357_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I collect the Reo label. They're nice think vinyl whereas lot of the Detroit stuff is on Styrene on it's original US issue. Plus, Most of the Reo/Sparton/Quality catalogues are by default quite common on their US labels so it gives a chance to collect both without breaking the bank.

Yes i agree with you there Dave,in some cases i took it a bit further. Titles such as Unsatisfied/Magic Potion/Our Love/Open The Door i had on all of the US labels,the Quality releases and the British demos +ep of course What a sad twat. If you want to talk about Canadian stuff Ron Pedley from York will enlighten a lot of us regards Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

There are some nice Canadian Warner Brothers things around. I had a Three Degrees 'Contact' and a Ben Aiken 'Satisfied' amongst others, they were using the orange/black design with the triangles around the edge, so they just looked so different. Major Harris, on Epic. B & O band 'Condition red' on Reo, as well as James Carr and a bunch of other things like Rufus Lumley on Reo too.

I really liked having stuff on odd labels - hang the rarity I say!

best,

RB.

Social source share

There are some nice Canadian Warner Brothers things around. I had a Three Degrees 'Contact' and a Ben Aiken 'Satisfied' amongst others, they were using the orange/black design with the triangles around the edge, so they just looked so different. Major Harris, on Epic. B & O band 'Condition red' on Reo, as well as James Carr and a bunch of other things like Rufus Lumley on Reo too.

I really liked having stuff on odd labels - hang the rarity I say!

best,

RB.

Yea i had the Ben Aiken on WB

Social source share

Yes i agree with you there Dave,in some cases i took it a bit further. Titles such as Unsatisfied/Magic Potion/Our Love/Open The Door i had on all of the US labels,the Quality releases and the British demos +ep of course What a sad twat. If you want to talk about Canadian stuff Ron Pedley from York will enlighten a lot of us regards Gilly and Nicola

Hi gilly yes there were three lads in york, who collected that sort of stuff as you say ronnie, there was ian o`hara who`s now in new zealand, and graham kelly, who`s still in york, they had some wierd and wonderful stuff through there hands over the years. Remember ron asking me to lend him £6 at wigan, came back with a 7" single that played at 33rpm BRAZILLIAN HUMAN BEINZ, he also has things like lada edmund jnr on canadian, he was the first person to show me the frank beverly on greek top tunes-REGARDS HARRYgood.gif

Social source share

from the good old days Andrew....:lol:

Hi Jim, long time no see, hope you are well mate.

Was reminiscing recently about how we used to regularly turn up at your house on scooters, and get 'educated' by your good self on so many quality tunes.....was that really 20 odd years ago!

I've still got the Kell Osborne I managed to prise from you.....good old days indeed!

Hope to see you somewhere soon.

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Hi gilly yes there were three lads in york, who collected that sort of stuff as you say ronnie, there was ian o`hara who`s now in new zealand, and graham kelly, who`s still in york, they had some wierd and wonderful stuff through there hands over the years. Remember ron asking me to lend him £6 at wigan, came back with a 7" single that played at 33rpm BRAZILLIAN HUMAN BEINZ, he also has things like lada edmund jnr on canadian, he was the first person to show me the frank beverly on greek top tunes-REGARDS HARRYgood.gif

Hi Harry, saw Ronnie not long ago (BLESS HIM) as far as i know he still has everything,great guy mad as a wasp Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Hi gilly yes there were three lads in york, who collected that sort of stuff as you say ronnie, there was ian o`hara who`s now in new zealand, and graham kelly, who`s still in york, they had some wierd and wonderful stuff through there hands over the years. Remember ron asking me to lend him £6 at wigan, came back with a 7" single that played at 33rpm BRAZILLIAN HUMAN BEINZ, he also has things like lada edmund jnr on canadian, he was the first person to show me the frank beverly on greek top tunes-REGARDS HARRY:good:

As Harry says collecting Canadian and worldwide labels was a big passion of mine (still is to some extent).

Hung around with Ronnie for many years and he introduced me to this form of collecting and it stuck. Ive had a lot of the big canadian titles over the years- mary saxton, steinways, major lance, ben aiken etc etc, Reo was a particular favourite of mine i think ive had virtually the entire series at one time or other.

These days due to other commitments i dont buy as much but i still have a few canadian and others=double life-apex/bobby hebb-philips/rufus lumley-reo/paul anka-rca/chuck jackson & lou johnson-quality/julian covey-stone/ linda elliot-josie(italy)/hesitations-kapp(argentina)/ and quite a few others, in my opinion a great alternative to collecting rare soul

Graham K.

Edited by KELBOY
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert