• Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

about 250 i would of though at most

have same record (Worlds funkiest band)-----20-00whistling.gif

Thanks Keith - Have been tempted to buy The Worlds Funkiest, but then I see that Breakthrough label and I'm smitten all over again.....and it's not exactly the same or are my ears playing tricks?

Social source share

nice label

read somewhere that buddy conner is vocalist on WFB

not much difference to my ears

but i am an old git--so your prob right

also 20-00

that means youve 230 quid to buy another gem

I'd agree that the vocalist is the same - The backing sounds slightly different on 'Funkiest'

Social source share

Hi John, hope you are well and keeping your head down mate!

I am not sure they are different records but the BC is definitely either a better or clearer production when played out loud. I have both so will put up soundfiles later,

I am pretty sure John Manship in past has listed WFB as a later issue of BC which would change peoples thinking on it surely.

May be tempted to sell BC if you are interested John, was going to sell other one but trimming down a little lately.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

'When your alone' on Breakthrough - How much these days?

thanks

Depends on which version you're asking about, since it had two releases with different recordings. The first release (1003) has a rawer '60's sound, and fetches around 300, the later release (1004) was re-recorded and released in '72 with a more polished production (to my ears anyway), which fetches 200ish. I haven't compared the '72 version with The World's Funkiest Band's version, but from memory, they sound the same.

Social source share

Hi John, hope you are well and keeping your head down mate!

I am not sure they are different records but the BC is definitely either a better or clearer production when played out loud. I have both so will put up soundfiles later,

I am pretty sure John Manship in past has listed WFB as a later issue of BC which would change peoples thinking on it surely.

May be tempted to sell BC if you are interested John, was going to sell other one but trimming down a little lately.

Cheers

Jock

I'm well Jock, though keeping your head down in my neigbourhood can be tricky to say the least!

It would be the earlier one I'd be on about 1003 - So I guess WFB and the later 1004 are the same recording.

Which one have you got Jock?

cheers

John

Social source share

Depends on which version you're asking about, since it had two releases with different recordings. The first release (1003) has a rawer '60's sound, and fetches around 300, the later release (1004) was re-recorded and released in '72 with a more polished production (to my ears anyway), which fetches 200ish. I haven't compared the '72 version with The World's Funkiest Band's version, but from memory, they sound the same.

cheersthumbsup.gif

Social source share

You really do learn something new every day, this place is really at its best when its informative like this!

I never knew there were 2 BC's, that will explain that. I have spent many a night telling people they were tone deaf as they sounded very similar, other than WFB not being a particularly clear recording, oops!

I assume from this its the 1004 I have, another pension plan reduction!

I will check tonight and let you know!

Cmon Cliff I know you will have the rarer one, if not all three. get a soundclip of the earlier one up please!

Social source share

Think the breakthrough 1003 is on an orange label,and the later 1004 release is red.First books at £200,second £75.Me i have and would go for the very very similar W.F.B on the nice looking California Gold label and save a wedge

You could be right - But I think WFB is missing that X-factor, also that orange Breakthrough just does it......

So is the above clip 1003 or 1004, Mr Steele?

(to my ears it sounds different - but I have just drank almost a bottle of Reisling)whistling.gif

Social source share

You could be right - But I think WFB is missing that X-factor, also that orange Breakthrough just does it......

So is the above clip 1003 or 1004, Mr Steele?

(to my ears it sounds different - but I have just drank almost a bottle of Reisling)whistling

Hi there, if you look i have added a scan of the record posted( scoll down when you play the clip to have a look and you can enlarge etc) above by me it is the 1003 version

good luck in finding one.

Andy Mann

Ps first heard this up in Doncaster many years ago played by Andy Dyson i seem to remember

Social source share

kerrie

your avatar is the one i used to have. and this is the one that plays the same as the california gold release from later in the 70`s. a box of these turned up in the early 90`s and the price dipped . andy dyson had a few and i got one from him. the red label copy from 1972 ( 2nd release if you like ) is much rarer but not as good. but as there are a lot of worlds funkiest band copies about i wouldnt have thort the 1st issue would be £250........... you never know tho

dave

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert