Rufus Wonder Under The Moon

• Replies 38
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't think the bootleg guide mentions this does it?

Manship price guide lists the Lando blue issue and the Lendo white demo as originals, the Lendo w/demo being the rarer item.

Some further information regarding the Lando/Lendo issue/demo copies here..

The blue Lendo issue is clearly a reissue.

https://capitolsoulclub.homestead.com/RufusWonderSpecial.html

Social source share

what's the regional market theory then Dave ...?

Hi Cliff,

Been a while since I had a blue (or in Carl Fortnums case a white label***) LAndo copy...weren't they RCA pressed...possibly for the East Coast, whereas the LEndo copies (never seen a stocker) are Chicago born for the Mid-West market? Maybe? For fun I like to compare this scenario to Cody Black's 'Gone gone gone' on blue labelled RCA pressed copies (East Coast market place) versus the red label Detroit pressed ones (for local people!).

biggrin.gif

The LEndo copies certainly look soooooo Chicago pressed with the drop-shadow font style, and the tell-tale short flat-edge (for want of a better term*****) running for 15mm on the edge of the label itself (on the 'So upset' side).

:rolleyes:

***- yes a LAndo white label promo as opposed to the blue label stocker...same label design...very nice and RARE.

***** - is there a technical term for this short flat-edge bit of the edge of Chicago pressed labels?! Wonder which pressing plant is responsible?

:rolleyes:

Side-note: Rufus put the spelling variation down to a possible simple spelling error, as mentioned in my chat with the man himself >>> Read Here <<<

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Got to be joking!! I'm selling the Rufus Wonder, which I purchased in Detroit in 1985!!

why bootleg it with a differently spelt label ?...sureley this looses the attempt to deceive??

got to go with JM PRICE GUIDE which indicates both as legitate,perhaps funkyfeet has the details to back up the Canadian boot theory,c'mon Mark,let's be avvinit!wicked.gif

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

what appears strange to me is the "deep" lettering i.e. three dimensional text on both the dark blue "new" LANDO disc and the "LENDO" demos, whereas the definite original LANDO issues and demos are plain "flat" lettering... very odd that the first two issues ive mentioned above should adopt similar styled lettering on their label titles ???..... there was a mini-flood of these white LENDO demos almost 20 years ago and i still have the same opinion of them today as i did then...

Edited by bitchdj
Social source share

what appears strange to me is the "deep" lettering i.e. three dimensional text on both the dark blue "new" LANDO disc and the "LENDO" demos, whereas the definite original LANDO issues and demos are plain "flat" lettering... very odd that the first two issues ive mentioned above should adopt similar styled lettering on their label titles ???..... there was a mini-flood of these white LENDO demos almost 20 years ago and i still have the same opinion of them today as i did then...

Im assuming that's cos they copied lettering on much later "dark blue" bootleg from Lendo copy.

As far as I know copies turned up more like 25 years ago and maybe earlier. Found by Larry Pietowski [Ray] on a Detroit flea along with "Do you want a boy" and "So What"by Carl Carlton.

He sent me copy of each and "So what" went to Guy as an unknown so that hopefully gives an idea of when.

Few years later in a garage in Detroit and amidst other rare 45s were 5 copies of the Rufus on Lendo. Seller had had them for years

ROD

Social source share

"Im assuming that's cos they copied lettering on much later "dark blue" bootleg from Lendo copy.

As far as I know copies turned up more like 25 years ago and maybe earlier. Found by Larry Pietowski [Ray] on a Detroit flea along with "Do you want a boy" and "So What"by Carl Carlton.

He sent me copy of each and "So what" went to Guy as an unknown so that hopefully gives an idea of when.

Few years later in a garage in Detroit and amidst other rare 45s were 5 copies of the Rufus on Lendo. Seller had had them for years"

Good enough for me i think? White Lendo's are originals....thanks for info Rod.

Social source share

i dont think the white lendo`s are boots just coz a box of them turned up 20 years ago. i think the pressing plant in chicago gave up on it when they got the label wrong and never released the blue lendo stock as they`d lost enuff money already and besides its never been a big enough record to warrant bootlegging............ i know the blue lando has been done recently but i still dont know why coz its never been anymore than a collectors 45

dave

Social source share

If you look in the earlier JM guides he didn't have the proper LANDO copy listed at all , this is why people think the LENDO copies are real.wicked.gif Truth and fiction become one at times.

Scan of my copy

post-7536-12621114263195_thumb.jpg

:yes: WELL IT CERTAINLY LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE BEEN FOOLED BY THEM, ME INCLUDED. CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY PRESSED IT UP THO, ESPECIALLY IN THE MID 80T'S AS I DON'T THINK IT WAS MEGA POPULAR.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

If you look in the earlier JM guides he didn't have the proper LANDO copy listed at all , this is why people think the LENDO copies are real.wicked.gif Truth and fiction become one at times.

Scan of my copy

but the vinyl is right. its not 80`s vinyl at all.everything else looks ok with it. and besides if it was done in mid eighties thats 25 years ago and people cant keep there mouths shut for that long. the rumour would have surfaced long before now

dave

Social source share

• 2 months later...

have a look at this recent ebay item,surely this confirms tht the LENDO'S are o.k. https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ps,this could have gone in LOOK AT YOUR BOX....by the way starter,did you aquire a copy?

g.gifHow does that confirm anything at all?

The fact that it had a few bids and went for a decent price proves nothing. It wouldn't be the first time that a boot (if it is) has fooled a few people and

with the various views shown on this thread so far, who knows?

That is the very copy that I've just been offered, and which I refused.

Lando for me. good.gif

-Kev.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Scan of my copy

I was told that the LENDO copies were a 60's USA bootleg, done in the 60's, not for the Northern Soul scene!

Social source share

Rufus Wonder said in my interview a few weeks ago that it was a typo at initial pressing time

THANKS FOR THAT BOB. THE VINYL AND THE TYPEFACE ALL LOOKED GOOD TO ME. ITS STILL SOMETHING THE BOOTLEGGERS HAVE NEVER GOT PERFECT.THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A DIFFERENCE.

DAVE

Social source share

I have a blue LANDO issue - which turns up less often than the demo from what I can tell and a white label LENDO.

Instinct, nothing more, tells me that the LENDO is a later press, even though that may mean later in the 60ts............

The blue LANDO issue has a sheldon stamp, Chicago as indicated.

The white (demo) LENDO do not.

My guess might be that someone had them pressed later as all the ones I have seen are super fresh vinyl. They certainly haven't done the rounds like the LANDO copies. Of course they could just have been stored for years, but again instinct tells me they were made a fresh to filter out, but just never shifted back when ever.

So for me LANDO white and blues = first press

LENDO = later press.

Social source share

THANKS FOR THAT BOB. THE VINYL AND THE TYPEFACE ALL LOOKED GOOD TO ME. ITS STILL SOMETHING THE BOOTLEGGERS HAVE NEVER GOT PERFECT.THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A DIFFERENCE.

DAVE

there is a later press, he also talked about a later press

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert