Not Rare I Know

I know it's not rare, but some records just look beautiful, and this is one of them.

I picked it up from the States for $2 and I think it's worth $100, not in value, just for the looks.

And the tune is out of this world too. Stunning vocals stunning lyrics and stunning arrangement.

Definitely one of my all time favorite Motown tracks.

More Love

smokey.JPG

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

quote name='steveluigi' date='27 November 2009 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1259288613' post='1203047']

I know it's not rare, but some records just look beautiful, and this is one of them.

I picked it up from the States for $2 and I think it's worth $100, not in value, just for the looks.

And the tune is out of this world too. Stunning vocals stunning lyrics and stunning arrangement.

More Love

smokey.JPG

Social source share

More Love

smokey.JPG

Absolutely Steve, a top tune, fantastic composition, arrangement, production and a world class vocal performance from Smokey and the lads. Detroit reigning supreme and indeed very innovative for it's time too...This is what I call a truly 'great' record and (in relevance to another current thread) it pisses all over ANYTHING on the Shrine label, in my view anyway. Remember giving an old UK Copy to my Sister when she was about 12 and that was it for her - 34 years later and she's still a Soul freak!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

perhaps My Favorite Smokey tune too!

Smokey wrote it for his wife Claudette. She was in hospital having given birth to twin girls who sadly died at birth. Claudette was blaming herself, feeling she'd let Smokey down. He went home and unable to sleep that night, went to his piano, and composed this. Knowing that, makes the lyrics in this tune so poignant to me.

steve

Social source share

Agree with all.

This is simply one of the greatest records ever!

I play it out, pretty much every chance I get.

Only a few months ago, me and Tats and a certain MrLevine totally silenced a crowded West London Curry House as we spontaneously broke into our own, loud, rendition of this masterpiece at its mere mention!

Let it be soon, don't hesitate.... make it now, don't wait...

(We were waiting on the Lamb Sarg at the time)

One of the ultimate, midtempo, Motown ballads.

:ohmy:

Sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3unReICV93c

Social source share

Thank you for your comments and your agreeing that this is a stroke of pure genius.

For some reason a few weeks ago it came into my head and I couldn't stop singing it, so I just had to have a copy.

I already have it on a demo album 'Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' greatest hits, and I was hoping to play it out at the last event I DJ'd at, but it was too quieter recording, so I was on the search again, you know the one, when you HAVE to find it at all costs. There were quite a few on the bay in decent condition, but I wanted something more.

So I carried on trawling the net until I found this demo copy. Couldn't see another demo anywhere else, so I thought that this was the one for me.

I'm so pleased I found it and the condition is more than excellent.

You can guarantee that it will get played at the next event I do :ohmy:

Social source share

Hi Steve

Thanks for posting up this little gem.

Some of my fave tunes are from Smokey and the miracles

He penned the oh so brilliant " what love has joined together" which has been covered by a host of artists ,many whom will have probably been friends of his, from the motown field.

But my fave version is the Dobby Dobson

And my all time fave smokey and the miracles ,and yes you guessed it ,another cheapie

p.s

i will getthe hang of pasting a youtube clip one day smile.gif

Social source share

Agree with all.

This is simply one of the greatest records ever!

I play it out, pretty much every chance I get.

Only a few months ago, me and Tats and a certain MrLevine totally silenced a crowded West London Curry House as we spontaneously broke into our own, loud, rendition of this masterpiece at its mere mention!

Let it be soon, don't hesitate.... make it now, don't wait...

(We were waiting on the Lamb Sarg at the time)

One of the ultimate, midtempo, Motown ballads.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

If that's the Curry House I think it is, the Lamb Sarg is well worth the wait, too! (So's the rest of the stuff in there!)thumbup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

perhaps My Favorite Smokey tune too!

Smokey wrote it for his wife Claudette. She was in hospital having given birth to twin girls who sadly died at birth. Claudette was blaming herself, feeling she'd let Smokey down. He went home and unable to sleep that night, went to his piano, and composed this. Knowing that, makes the lyrics in this tune so poignant to me.

steve

I did not know that mate, yeah, it indeed adds even more poignancy to a true Soul masterpiece. That's the best thing about this site, in amongst the bitter bloodletting and angst, laugh.gif little nuggets of information increase your enjoyment and appreciation of the greatest popular music ever recorded!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Some of the best tunes out there, are only a few dollars to buy,

share your thoughts regarding sheer beauty of these records both Visual & Audio.

Always a place in the collection for gems like this.

Are you suggesting we discuss other records that may fall into that category here, or in another thread?

Would be a good'un either way but perhaps this thread should be preserved with it's own singular (forgive the pun) identity, just given the very rare event of everybody who has contributed being in total agreement!!thumbup.gif

What do you think?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

More Love

smokey.JPG

Superb. Smokey is one of THE all time greats, pure class.thumbsup.gif

Ste.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert