• Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hiya Lenny,

Great tune mate ! thumbsup.gif

Not sure if it was lifted off an L. P. but a long track for a 45 I agree.

Not such a bad thing though if you like it eh?

BTW. Got no probs with the sound quality on mine. Plays loud and clear.

ATB Eddie

Social source share

Hiya Lenny,

Great tune mate ! thumbsup.gif

Not sure if it was lifted off an L. P. but a long track for a 45 I agree.

Not such a bad thing though if you like it eh?

BTW. Got no probs with the sound quality on mine. Plays loud and clear.

ATB Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Have quite a few mates who have this disc and they all sound well below normal 45 production, might just be a bad batch I suppose

Lenny :thumbsup:

Social source share

Was just looking out some records when I came across this gem but often wondered did it or was it transferred straight from the album as it has a poor audio for a 45 and is at least 2/2.5 mins way to long

Any thoughts?

Lenny

In order to get longer tracks on a 45 grooves have to pressed more tightly. This very often ends up with poorer sound quality (low-fi) and very audible scratches even if they are hardly visible.

Social source share

Benji's right, it's way too long for the 45 and it does affect the sound when played out!

Best bet is the Beverley Glenn 12" same length but dem grooves are further apart and sounds damn fine when played out!

Chers

Steve

LP or 12" - either way a fantastic track.

Social source share

Benji's right, it's way too long for the 45 and it does affect the sound when played out!

Best bet is the Beverley Glenn 12" same length but dem grooves are further apart and sounds damn fine when played out!

Chers

Steve

i don't hear scratches when they play this on the radio... probably off an mp3 ripped from a cd!

Social source share

The track was originally an album track taken from the album 'Just ain't good enough' from 1984

Just aint good enough

The 12" single seem to emerge after the record by 'The Shapeshifters' 'Lolas theme' heavily sampled it and reached number 1 in the UK charts in 2004.

compare the 2

When i first heard the 'Shapeshifters' track I knew what the sample was taken from, and tried to find an original copy. I was informed by the 'Shapeshifters' record company 'Positiva', that it was an album track, and not available on 7" or 12". then within a month of the 'Shapeshifters' hitting the charts, the 12" single started to emerge, and the 7" single a few weeks after.

There is one on sale now (12") on Discogs for £80, but on the description, is states that is is from 1984. I do not think that this is correct and am convinced that the 'Beverley Glen' release, was released after the 'Shapeshifters' success, to monopolise on sales. When I managed to get my 12" single, i got it for about £8 off Ebay

Discogs

I will stand corrected though if anyone has any more info.

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

As I said i will stand corrected, but there was definitely a surge of the 12" when the 'Shapeshifters' came out. It was definately sampled from the Johnny Taylor version, I know this for sure as I know one of the band personally, Shapeshifters that is. He found the Johnny Taylor record while he was looking through his girlfriends record collection. His girlfriend by the way, is called 'Lola', hence the name of the 'Shapeshifters' track.

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

DEFFO A 1982 RELEASE AS IT MADE THE U.S R&B CHARTS AT THE TIME. REGARDING THE 45, THINK THERE WAS A DUFF BATCH PRESSED AS I REMEMBER A THREAD ON HERE WITH SOME MEMBERS STATING THAT THEY HAD COPIES THAT EITHER PLAYED LOW, SKIPPED OR EVEN MUFFLED. PERSONALLY HAVE HAD SEVERAL, WITH SOME PLAYING DODGY AND OTHERS PLAYING LOUD AND CRYSTAL CLEAR.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Just dug two J.T. 7's out and both play fine, slightly different label though. - 1982

Damaris - 1983 - Just noticed the bar code, did they have bar codes back then or is this a later press?

So maybe as i suspected, there was re-press after the 'Shapeshifters' track? with the labels being different on the two JT singles? Just as a matter of interest, when did you buy the last copy and which one is it?

This is my copy of the 12" which looks more like the first of your pictures, colours etc. and on the 'B' side is 'Reaganomics'

jt.jpg

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

So maybe as i suspected, there was re-press after the 'Shapeshifters' track? with the labels being different on the two JT singles? Just as a matter of interest, when did you buy the last copy and which one is it?

Steve, I thought I bought the last one about 3 - 4 years ago off MusicStack, it was cheap £3ish and advertised as Reagonomics (the B side) but I've gone in my back orders (which go back to 2005) and it's not there?

I've had the other one a lot longer.

Not sure which one I bought last, I didn't know the differences untill I got the pair out tonight after seeing this thread!

I think the one with the darker "brick" coloured Beverly Glen would be the first issue but I'm no expert on these things?

Social source share

Beverley Glen went out of business decades ago, after trials and tribulations - and much litigation over Royalties.

Wound up with Bobby Womack getting physical with Otis Smith, in court, if I recall correctly :lol:

The album rights ended up with Motown in the cae of Womack (hence the appearance over here of Poet 1 & 2 on UK Motown and the "So Many Sides" "Tell Me Why" etc 45's) and Elektra in the cae of Anita Baker.

The "Just Aint Good Enough" Johnnie Taylor album eventually appeared on CD with Capitol and came out on the UK Stateside label.

I would be surprised if there were ever any contemporary represses of that material (12" or 45) under the Beverly Glen logo, but clearly, as is often the case, there were several pressings done around the same time.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Beverley Glen was a label front for alleged local California Mafia connections and ran as a tax loss for other enterprises - hence why Johnny probably never got any royalties

Hi Glyn - and that's why John Taylor returned back to his southern roots at muscle shoals to record his next album after Bev Glen.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert