A La Carte ?

Shsdave

• Replies 111
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Mark,

I think this outfit are from Telford. We had to lean on them for distributing a box set called The Northern Soul Top 500! Flattering maybe, but we get calls for it even though we are not in the cd or vinyl business.

Sadly, if you look around various web sites you'll find 'choose 20 tracks for £4' like one site in Lincolnshire and with the amount of 'anniversary and charity' discs knocking around, the Cd scene was murdered a good few years ago.

If you thought carvers and vinyl reissues were bad, the cd burning is way out of control. Think 1,000 illegal cd's a week and you might be near the mark.

Social source share

Some of their stuff seems to be sound files taken from the net or just knicked from DJ sets or Radio shows.

I say this because firstly, the CD's seem to have occasional tracks that are to "new" for legal CD's (eg Lil' Major Williams appeared on one CD way before it was readily available - that's assuming that is even on a Legal CD yet?).

Secondly, I heard one at a party a couple of years ago, and whilst the sound quality of most tracks were OK (just simple CD rips or reasonable mastering from records), one or two tracks noticably dropped in quality - as if they had been though a few file conversions to get a cda track.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Edited by sixtify
Social source share

Crap sound quality bootlegs ripped off soundfiles and bad mp3s by the sounds of it. Guy's name is Tim Everett. I bought a CD off ebay thinking it was a legit release, then realised it wasn't when some tracks had bits missing off and others sounded like they had been recorded off the radio. sad.gif

Social source share

'complimentary cd from an event' eh....the sole reason the Northern cd business is knackered. It's even worse than Ala Carte!

Again i have to agree,and say so many times to folks that do it.......like water off a ducks back no one cares biggrin.gif its ok to do a private cd for your mate,but to attract a extra three punters no.gif funny no-one on here is sticking up for the free cd where are you ? lets hear your take on this,loads out there.

Social source share

Guest ritchie

About a year ago a complete set of the offending articles fell into my hands on a couple of dvd-rw's .

(Bootleggers being Bootlegged??)

The sound quality is appalling and if the scans were anything to go by most of the stuff was booted off of boots.wanker.gif

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Crap sound quality bootlegs ripped off soundfiles and bad mp3s by the sounds of it. Guy's name is Tim Everett. I bought a CD off ebay thinking it was a legit release, then realised it wasn't when some tracks had bits missing off and others sounded like they had been recorded off the radio. sad.gif

If it is the Tim Everett from Telford, then he is a member on here

Social source share

and the poor people can listen to decent northern soullaugh.gif

I don't understand that comment but what I mean is apart from the usual Torch/Wigan/Wheel etc compilations they'll do a series of Forgotten Floorshakers, a Ritz comp, a "did they really play that?" series, records discovered by a particular DJ etc - just a different angle thats all.

Social source share

I don't see the difference between this and knocking up cassette tapes for sale which used to go on quite happily without anyone complaining.

I appreciate that they are ripping off licensed tracks but it is pretty obvious what they are from the price and the pictures.

Social source share

I don't see the difference between this and knocking up cassette tapes for sale which used to go on quite happily without anyone complaining.

I appreciate that they are ripping off licensed tracks but it is pretty obvious what they are from the price and the pictures.

I have a few bits from A La Carte and if you put the CD in a PC you could find out what comp album it has come from I also get the impression that this is done to subsidise his record collection as rightly said by paultp no different

Social source share

Just as a side, the A La carte cd's are really well compiled - some excellent and interesting ideas for compilations

No complaints on the creative side Pete, it's just that legit companies have to work within the law and pay mechanicals, licensing fees etc, etc which puts legit releases at a mammoth competitive disadvantage.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

No complaints on the creative side Pete, it's just that legit companies have to work within the law and pay mechanicals, licensing fees etc, etc which puts legit releases at a mammoth competitive disadvantage.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

I'm not trying to justify anything Ian, just saying that some of the concepts are good thats all

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

And has this applied to everthing put out by Anglo/Goldsoul (or whatever guise has been used)?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a few bits from A La Carte and if you put the CD in a PC you could find out what comp album it has come from I also get the impression that this is done to subsidise his record collection as rightly said by paultp no different

Leave it out lads, it's hugely different from doing cassettes for your mates as they are charging for it and not licensing or paying artists, songwriters, label owners or publishing companies!

Social source share

I don't understand that comment but what I mean is apart from the usual Torch/Wigan/Wheel etc compilations they'll do a series of Forgotten Floorshakers, a Ritz comp, a "did they really play that?" series, records discovered by a particular DJ etc - just a different angle thats all.

well theres about £30k worth of music on one cd that certainly arent on any current legit compilations for example

Social source share

And has this applied to everthing put out by Anglo/Goldsoul (or whatever guise has been used)?

Of course not. What a stupid statement. Goldsoul released a few CDs all legitimate. Due to the Ala Carte's, Northernsoulmusic.co.uk and endless charity and free CDs at gigs...the label quit.

Cannot speak for Goldmine but they are out of business. As for Anglo, no idea. Check your facts though.

Any comments on the thread? For example 1,000s of titles available for under a fiver or better still free!

Social source share

Why is it a stupid statement?

It's a valid question isn't it?

If the answer is that they are all legitimate why get steamed up? You answered "Of course not" which confirms the point.

If Goldmine/Anglo are out of business does that stop the question being asked?

I was simply asking whether or not the legal licencing of tracks for which A la Carte is being taken to task over also applied to other CD sellers.

Social source share

'complimentary cd from an event' eh....the sole reason the Northern cd business is knackered. It's even worse than Ala Carte!

Totally disagree.Its nothing like the same.A well put together free cd from a venue is always welcome.Its the same old,same old cd's that give it a bad name.

What's wrong with a giveaway if the records are originals ,bought and paid for by the cd's originator.?

Anything wrong with giving cd's to regular punters as a thank you, OR POTENTIAL "punters".?

Again we are back to the fact that if you're giving something away as opposed to charging for it,you ain't got a clue what you're doing. :rolleyes:

Nothing like booting cd's for gain.

Social source share

Totally disagree.Its nothing like the same.A well put together free cd from a venue is always welcome.Its the same old,same old cd's that give it a bad name.

What's wrong with a giveaway if the records are originals ,bought and paid for by the cd's originator.?

Anything wrong with giving cd's to regular punters as a thank you, OR POTENTIAL "punters".?

Again we are back to the fact that if you're giving something away as opposed to charging for it,you ain't got a clue what you're doing. :rolleyes:

Nothing like booting cd's for gain.

yes but by giving the tracks away that means it's pointless the record companies licensing the track at their expense, what would rather do, be given a cd for nothing or pay 12 quid for one to get the same track? The free cd's stop the companies releasing product.

Social source share

yes but by giving the tracks away that means it's pointless the record companies licensing the track at their expense, what would rather do, be given a cd for nothing or pay 12 quid for one to get the same track? The free cd's stop the companies releasing product.

But we're talking about 40 year old records Pete.The chances of a record company wanting to make anything on an old track are slim surely.Unless its used on an advert.

I'm talking about the impact free cd's have on the cd sales nowadays.May be 1000 a week(?),but many are given to mates,with a track listing if you're lucky.

Social source share

But we're talking about 40 year old records Pete.The chances of a record company wanting to make anything on an old track are slim surely.Unless its used on an advert.

I'm talking about the impact free cd's have on the cd sales nowadays.May be 1000 a week(?),but many are given to mates,with a track listing if you're lucky.

Yeah you're right, nowadays, no impact, but when the boom was in full swing 1999-2002 I can see how it would have annoyed the labels.

Digital music changed everything really, I do buy cd's now and again but they are mainly ones I know will have a decent booklet with them like Ace, if there's an album out I'll only usually want one track off it so I just go and find it on the net and download it. You can find just about anything nowadays and you can find it for free 99% of the time so I don't know how the record companies, even the majors, make any money at all.

Social source share

Yeah you're right, nowadays, no impact, but when the boom was in full swing 1999-2002 I can see how it would have annoyed the labels.

Digital music changed everything really, I do buy cd's now and again but they are mainly ones I know will have a decent booklet with them like Ace, if there's an album out I'll only usually want one track off it so I just go and find it on the net and download it. You can find just about anything nowadays and you can find it for free 99% of the time so I don't know how the record companies, even the majors, make any money at all.

Here's something you''ll know about Pete.

"All rights of the manufacturer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved.Unauthorised public performance,broadcasting and copying of this record prohibited.".

Before having a go at free cds (not you Pete btw) we should all ask - What a public performance is?.Wether we've paid our dues re:broadcasting?.And wether we've ever copied a record?....what about the impact that had BITD, when BITD was a lot nearer.:D .When we've exhausted that,then lets move onto Free Cd's.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Kev,

No they are not slim. Record companies need every genre possible in profit.

Downloading clobbered them big style.

I suspect you are a heavy vinyl guy so CD's are secondary in your thought pattern.

The facts are clear;

1. At least 1,000 Free/Charity cd's given away at smaller Northern nights every week.Some of the idiot promoters giving them away then ue the old 'ovo policy' s some form of 'credential booster' to deflect from their illegal activities.

2. Endless 'Anniversary cd's' sold at venues and Ebay.

3. Sites galore offering '20 tracks for a fiver-you choose' See www.northernsoulmusic.co.uk for starters.

4. Downloads, Car boots, etc etc

My estimate......20 grand a week in lost sales to the majors.

Imagine if 20 thousand quids worth of boot vinyl every week was given away at do's...this thread would probably reach record views. Vinyl collectors SHOUT LOUD, CD fans don't.

Social source share

The 3 options left to the Rare Soul fan when deciding to make CD purchases.

1. Ace/ Kent £10-12 Lovingly compiled, but generally obscure with superb pckaging.

2. Supermarket/HMV box setty types 3 cd's for £5

3. Sit and wait for your local Soul night to offer the 'first 100 get a free cd'

Most go for option 3 then 2 and finally 1.

I doubt you will ever see a small indie release legitimate product again.

I think we have exhausted this one!

Social source share

Not at all Kev, record companies love us paying them money to use their 40 year old tracks. The original US indie labels actually love it because they get money, recognition and their true history documented. As for the impact on us the freebies have, I'm not sure, hopefully the listener will want to hear he tracks in better quality when we put them out. These sites that charge to sell music they have no rights to are bang out of order though.

Social source share

1. Ace/ Kent £10-12 Lovingly compiled, but generally obscure with superb pckaging.

3. Sit and wait for your local Soul night to offer the 'first 100 get a free cd'

Of course option 1 is the best,but are we talking here about choosing one over the other?.

BITD when soul records were purchased as new releases,i entered into a "contract" with some of the money cascading thru the record companies,down to, hopefully, the artist.By purchasing the record my conscience is clear.

Then came along boots and re-issues.Money to be made.Not by me i hasten to add.Now we've got cd's.

Like i said earlier,records purchased,for a 3rd or even 4th time around,(who bothered to chase up that profit?) and put onto a free cd for mates isn't going to put a record company out of business.

The problem is folks trying to make a business out of it.Money to be made.

Social source share

Kev,

No they are not slim. Record companies need every genre possible in profit.

Downloading clobbered them big style.

I suspect you are a heavy vinyl guy so CD's are secondary in your thought pattern.

The facts are clear;

1. At least 1,000 Free/Charity cd's given away at smaller Northern nights every week.Some of the idiot promoters giving them away then ue the old 'ovo policy' s some form of 'credential booster' to deflect from their illegal activities.

2. Endless 'Anniversary cd's' sold at venues and Ebay.

3. Sites galore offering '20 tracks for a fiver-you choose' See www.northernsoulmusic.co.uk for starters.

4. Downloads, Car boots, etc etc

My estimate......20 grand a week in lost sales to the majors.

Imagine if 20 thousand quids worth of boot vinyl every week was given away at do's...this thread would probably reach record views. Vinyl collectors SHOUT LOUD, CD fans don't.

so how do the defunct labels get 'royalties' from records say produced in the early 60's, e.g. Shrine being an example, or does someone own the rights to 'Shrine' as we know it.?

Social source share

so how do the defunct labels get 'royalties' from records say produced in the early 60's, e.g. Shrine being an example, or does someone own the rights to 'Shrine' as we know it.?

You go to the label owner like I did for Shrine with Eddie Singleton, agree a deal and pay them a percentage royalty for the right to release the record.

Social source share

You go to the label owner like I did for Shrine with Eddie Singleton, agree a deal and pay them a percentage royalty for the right to release the record.

and i guess the even smaller labels or one-off labels you would go to the bigger owner say if a lablewas a sunbsidiary of e.g. mercury but the subsidiary nolonger exists? guess the poor one-off artists (if still alive!) get nothing? did any of the shrine artists get any cut of the deal you made with the label?

just interestedg.gif

Social source share

and i guess the even smaller labels or one-off labels you would go to the bigger owner say if a lablewas a sunbsidiary of e.g. mercury but the subsidiary nolonger exists? guess the poor one-off artists (if still alive!) get nothing? did any of the shrine artists get any cut of the deal you made with the label?

just interestedg.gif

The artist will get paid if they go to the record company and let them know who they are and where to send the cheque to. Several acts have enjoyed unexpected windfalls in this way. With small labels the people are often still in touch. I couldn't tell you about the Shrine specifics, I'm not in touch with any of the artists.

Social source share

just interested:chinstroke:

Depends if the artist ever recouped on the original advances they got from the labels (the lucky ones who received an advance that is). In the case of most Northern Soul releases the answer is probably not as it's doubtful that the tracks ever recouped the recording, manufacturing, marketing, promotional and distribution costs which had to be covered before a record ever theoretically got into profit. Since most Northern Soul releases tended to go straight down the shitter, then it's unlikely that the artists would have anything to claim.......

.....but at least they have a shot if the track is re-issued on a legitimate CD. Also, all legit UK record companies have to pay mechanical royalties on the amounts they manufacture, so if an artist is registered with the MCPS and PRS they can earn income from that.......

Not that record company accounting has ever been a cause for optimism or dancing in the streets.......whistling

Ian D :D

Social source share

What amazing hypocrisy....'cos we all know how legitimate Goldmine CDs were...:6:

The sad story of a bootleg CD operation going out of business on the basis of free venue CDs is touching, and just a little bit ironic.....:yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert