J.d. Bryant On Shrine Estate Find In Usa

Sheldonsoul

• Replies 136
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

R, SEEN EM IN THE EBAY SIDEBAR ON HERE LAST DAY OR SO. LOOKS LIKE HE'S GONNA MAKE A MINT.

BRI PINCH.

Ayye those lucky beggars at ebay are gonna make a killing in commision from rare soul ........as per usualsad.gif

The two plus two , looks set to hot up too .....last time i checked there were 350 people watching itwicked.gif

I wonder what percentage are snipers .....versus rubber neckersbiggrin.gif

Somebodys gonna have a few nice prezzies before xmas........and it won't be meno.gif

Social source share

Ayye those lucky beggars at ebay are gonna make a killing in commision from rare soul ........as per usualsad.gif

The two plus two , looks set to hot up too .....last time i checked there were 350 people watching itwicked.gif

Somebodys gonna have a few nice prezzies before xmas........and it won't be meno.gif

how can you check how many watchers there are ?whistling.gif

Social source share

wouldnt say thats a nice pressie in that condition Nev

Social source share

REALISTICALLY, WOULDNT HAVE THORT THE'D BE OVER 300 PEEPS WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS, NEVER MIND BEING ABLE TO AFFORD TO BE ABLE TO BUY IT.

BRI PINCH.

391 WATCHIN TWO PLUS TWO

54 WATCHING J.D BRYANT

But the shrines have only just gone up whereas the TPT is finishing on Wednesday

And the two plus two is currently the most watched 45 on ebay yes.gif

Social source share

391 WATCHIN TWO PLUS TWO

54 WATCHING J.D BRYANT

But the shrines have only just gone up whereas the TPT is finishing on Wednesday

And discounting "buy it now" high priced items

For auctions only this is the highest priced item on the record buyers live auction

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U2-Out-of-Control-numbered-12-548-1000-U2-Three-U23_W0QQitemZ300368015285QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

Always amazes me ,

when one of the big money records appears on ebay and someone starts a thread regarding priceg.gif

Loads of people come on and start knocking the tune.

It's totally irrelevant to the thread topic imho

The fact is theyre rare and obviously very desirable to a lot of soul collectors ,but only a few can afford em.

If you were at a rare soul venue and someone put J.D BRYANT on the decks, trust me it'd sound awesome out loud.

Even William Powell in the right venue i:e a proper Northern soul night ,would fill the floor and have em drooling.

Theyre collectors pieces to me ,great examples that represent the scene wether you like the "rare soul" scene or the nostalgic oldies sounds.

I'm sure we all know a £10 record that sounds better ,but it has nothing to do with the price /rarity of the subject in hand.

Needless to say we are here to debate so carry on ...who thinks all shrine records are overpriced ,over hyped and just boring pieces of plastictongue.gif

But then again ..we are here to debate all things soul ,so carry on

Social source share

391 WATCHIN TWO PLUS TWO

54 WATCHING J.D BRYANT

but if thats the counter figure at the bottom of the page it's views not watching. I've viewed it but I'm not watching it.

Social source share

Always amazes me ,

when one of the big money records appears on ebay and someone starts a thread regarding priceg.gif

The fact is theyre rare and obviously very desirable to a lot of soul collectors ,but only a few can afford em.

If you were at a rare soul venue and someone put J.D BRYANT on the decks, trust me it'd sound awesome out loud.

Even William Powell in the right venue i:e a proper Northern soul night ,would fill the floor and have em drooling.

Theyre collectors pieces to me ,great examples that represent the scene wether you like the "rare soul" scene or the nostalgic oldies sounds.

I'm sure we all know a £10 record that sounds better ,but it has nothing to do with the price /rarity of the subject in hand.

Needless to say we are here to debate so carry on ...who thinks all shrine records are overpriced ,over hyped and just boring pieces of plastictongue.gif

Nev,nev,nev,nev,nev.Are you saying that there's a 10 quid record better than JDB ?ohmy.gif ..Or than WP?biggrin.gif .

Back to the Shrine find,wouldn't it be nice if the Cairo's had ED & 4 Bars on the flip...?yes.gif

Social source share

are you fools deaf??????????????????

JDB and the Cairos are fukin awesome

I'm with you on JDB but not sure about the Cairos, sometimes I think it's ok the next day I think it's rubbish.

Personal top three Shrine tracks (that come to mind w/out 2nd thought):

1) Shirley Edwards - Dream my heart

2) JD Bryant - I won't be coming back

3) Ray Pollard - No more like me

These three overshadow everything else that was recorded for Shrine (IMO!)

Social source share

I'm with you on JDB but not sure about the Cairos, sometimes I think it's ok the next day I think it's rubbish.

Personal top three Shrine tracks (that come to mind w/out 2nd thought):

1) Shirley Edwards - Dream my heart

2) JD Bryant - I won't be coming back

3) Ray Pollard - No more like me

These three overshadow everything else that was recorded for Shrine (IMO!)

Dont disagree with your top 3 being awesome, but nothing overshadows the Prophets as far as I'm concerned.

The epitomy of group soul.

Social source share

Always amazes me ,

Fair point and I agree to an extent. The rarity and that kudos of owning something which nobody, or only a handful of others possess, have always been an integral part of the Northern scene. The problem I have with this area of collecting is how it affects the price of everything else. The higher the big rarities go, the higher the general price of records has risen, to the point where we now have 100s of records which used to be obtainable for 20 or so, selling at £100 every time a dealer gets hold of one. There are no more or less of these records around and a lot of people have copies of them, they simply bought them at an earlier point before the prices inflated.

As for Shrine itself, personally I think the records are somewhat overrated, somebody has said JD BRYANT would sound great up loud at a Niter, but it depends on where you place the barometer of 'great'....

Nothing on the label (In my opinion) comes close to touching something from Motown like SPINNERS 'I'll always love you', which remains a 20 quid odd record, but as a piece of 60S dance soul, eptimomises perfection. (Melody, production, vocals, lyrics etc).thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Think you all might wanna add Tommy Knight-Dont bring back those memories / Unissued Shrine and Bobby Reed to that list of amazing Shrine productions...???

I know they never actually came out in the 6ts, But Shirley Edwards, JD Bryant, Ray pollard, Carios, Prophets cant be mentioned without them, can they? Christ I'd just love to own a Shrine record, I never have...

Can somebody get the Gasher another bit of Cake!! he looks like he's about to BURST!!!

Mal.C.boxing.gif

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dont disagree with your top 3 being awesome, but nothing overshadows the Prophets as far as I'm concerned.

The epitomy of group soul.

Totally agree. It doesn't get any better than this in my opinion. When it kicks off a minute in, that's soul heaven.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Its all a matter of taste of course, but "This Time" is IMO the standout track on a label full of class tunes ! One of those records that when you dance to it you can truly lose yourself in it.

Social source share

Guest sean daniels

2 of the best NS tunes ever IMO

average my arse

along with the Prophets..you got 3 in my top 10 ever.

so im going to buy them..

gasher

Here Here young man. Here Here
Social source share

2 of the best NS tunes ever IMO

average my arse

along with the Prophets..you got 3 in my top 10 ever.

so im going to buy them..

gasher

====================================================================================

Me tooshades

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The Youtube clip of "One Gold Piece" above sounds quite different to the 45.

Well i think it's Mark Speakman's copy and he's posted it on YouTube as Netspeaky, so i'm pretty sure it is the 45. The 45 in the picture is the one playing and he discusses it in the comments. Here's the link

You're right though, there is another version.

Social source share

Well i think it's Mark Speakman's copy and he's posted it on YouTube as Netspeaky, so i'm pretty sure it is the 45. The 45 in the picture is the one playing and he discusses it in the comments. Here's the link

You're right though, there is another version.

Thanks Matt. I stand corrected: it's nice to hear the 45 at close quarters, even through weedy PC speakers.

I think there are three distinct mixes: this one (lots of echo on the falsetto lead vocal from about half way through); the mix used on the Kent Shrine compilation CD and the mix used on the Horace's vinyl LP which (to my ears) sounds quite different again. Am I right in thinking that the latter was done from the unmixed master tape by Eddie Singleton himself before a copy of the 45 actually resurfaced? Perhaps Ady C. or Andy Rix can enlighten us.

I don't have the facility to upload soundfiles but it might be instructive if someone could kindly upload the versions from both 'Capitol Soul Volume 2' on Horace's and the Kent Shrine CD.

I must say I prefer the Horace's mix, but this may be a case of it being the first way I heard the tune. Whatever, to me it's one of the single greatest harmony Northern records bar none. Those who knock Shrine as a label misunderstand its appeal I think.

Social source share

Prophets best soul record i've ever heard. Probably one of the best pieces of music i've ever heard full stop. Could gas on endlessly about how good it actually is, but i won't because i'd end up boring myself. Chewed Mick H's ear off about it in Asturias, sorry Mick laugh.gif

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert