Greatest Salsoul Tune?

Guest soulpeeper

Guest soulpeeper

SALSOUL RECORDS OH WOW ONE OF THE FINEST BLACK DANCE MUSIC LABELS EVER - OUT OF THE MANY TOP TUNES I MUST GO FOR LOVE COMMITEE PUT IT IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND FROM THE 1978 LAW AND ORDER ALBUM - THE FULL MIGHT OF THE SIGMA ORCHESTRA AND THOSE VOCALS JUST TEAR IT UP MAN

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Polyvelts

Still going strong in the eighties ...Heavy Vibes - Montana Sextet and Where's the Beef - The Chiefs remember buying as new releases from Jonathan's shop in the arcade as new releases, Heavy Vibes was a big tune at Rock City Friday nights, had it on uk virgin pretty sure it was salsoul US issue ?

Rob

Social source share

EVERY MAN ( HAS TO CARRY HIS OWN WEIGHT) - DOUBLE EXPOSURE.

JANICE (DON'T BE SO BLIND TO LOVE) - SKIP MAHONEY.

BEWARE SHE'S PULLING MY STRINGS - FLASHLIGHT.

RUNAWAY - LOLEATA HOLLOWAY.

AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH - INNER LIFE.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE - EDDIE HOLMAN.

SO MUCH FOR LOVE - MOMENT OF TRUTH.

LOVE IS YOU - CAROL DOUGLAS.

I GOT MY MIND MADE UP - INSTANT FUNK.

JUST A FEW SALSOUL CLASSICS FOR ME :thumbup:

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Somebody once told me that it was was the first 12" ever.....is that correct??! :thumbup:

Tom Moulton words about it:

• " You have to remember - so many great ideas are accidents... I mean - I thought 12" single was a great idea AFTER the fact. You see, this is going back now to the early 70's, when I first started I took my records to Media Sound to master. So, the thing is - one day I went in there to Jos Rodriguez - and I had "I'll be holding on" by Al Downing and I said - Jos, I could really need some acetates and he said - I don't have any more 7" blanks. All I have is like the 10" and I said - well, if that's the only thing - we're gonna do it, what difference does it make? So he cut one, I said -it looks so ridiculous, this little tiny band on this huge thing. I asked Jose - what happens if we just make it bigger - like spread the grooves? Then I've got to rise the level and so he cut it like at +6. When I heard it I almost died. So it was by accident, that's how it was created. But for the next song we cut, we went for the 12" format instead of the 10" and the song was "So much for love" by Moment of Truth. That was the real birth of the 12" single.

Social source share

Somebody once told me that it was was the first 12" ever.....is that correct??! whistling.gif

Double Exposure "Ten Percent" was the first-ever commercially released 12" single and sold over 100,000 copies in the process. Anyone who doesn't think that "Ten Percent" is choc full of soul needs their ears syringing!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Gotta concur with Loleatta's Runaway. Plus Joe Bataan's version of The Bottle by GS-H. And there are some wicked instrumentals by Salsoul Orchestra: beethoven, stuff like that...

Social source share

Double Exposure "Ten Percent" was the first-ever commercially released 12" single and sold over 100,000 copies in the process. Anyone who doesn't think that "Ten Percent" is choc full of soul needs their ears syringing!

Ian D :D

Totally Agree Ian - Fantastic memories

Remember when Salsoul 2001 was big!

Another fav of mine was Moment of Truth - You got me Hummin

Social source share

Quite partial to

Crying-Instant Funk meselfthumbsup.gif

Tony

Absolute KILLER Bunny Sigler written track. Came out on the 'B' side of "I've Got My Mind Made Up" which makes that one of the best value singles ever - especially if it's the 'B' side of the original Philly mix of "IGMMMU" - which is totally different to the Levan mix and much more towards a typical Philly type mix......

Social source share

Absolute KILLER Bunny Sigler written track. Came out on the 'B' side of "I've Got My Mind Made Up" which makes that one of the best value singles ever - especially if it's the 'B' side of the original Philly mix of "IGMMMU" - which is totally different to the Levan mix and much more towards a typical Philly type mix......

And on the b side to the UK IGMMMU is Wide World Of Sports

P:smile:

Social source share

Salsoul - wonderful label with some of the best tunes ever made on it.

Like all the selections mentioned apart from perhaps Spring Rain & Night To Remember - mainly because they were hammered to death in the seventies.

Love Double Exposure - Ten Percent is a wonderful piece of music - a true anthem - absolutely top notch.

Like their versions of Baby I Need Your Loving & Newsy Neighbours - worth checking out methinks.

Social source share

Sadly lacking in soul? Pah!! I don't think so!!

Anyway, this lot would brighten up any dancefloor -

Eddie Holman - Where Have You Been?

True Example - As Long As You Love Me

First Class - Sitting Pretty

Double Exposure - Falling In Love

Skyy - Here's To You

Sure, much of the labels output was aimed squarely at the dancefloor but that shouldn't invalidate it in anyway!!

Someone should put on an event devoted to nothing but Philly and Salsoul releases - what a night to remember that would be!!

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

Salsoul is one of my favourite labels and did actually produce in my opinion some very soulful music. One of my current favourites has to be Love Committee's Where Will It End on Goldmine. This song is on the flip side of Cheaters never win 12 inch. I only discovered it when I bought the other and flipped it over. It's an awsome record with Ron Tyson on vocals. Here is a clip from youtube https://www.youtube.c...h?v=m5NCAd7j56E

Some of my other classic favourites are,

Ripple The Beat Goes On And On, smooth classic disco at its best. https://www.youtube.c...h?v=x-4ZJIteAtU

Loleatta Holloway The Greatest Performance Of My Life, 12 inch Goldmine https://www.youtube.c...h?v=CYt63sdCqT0

First Choice Dr Love https://www.youtube.c...h?v=jCdGibjddmQ

Edited by Imogen
Social source share

Sadly lacking in soul? Pah!! I don't think so!!

Anyway, this lot would brighten up any dancefloor -

Eddie Holman - Where Have You Been?

True Example - As Long As You Love Me

First Class - Sitting Pretty

Double Exposure - Falling In Love

Skyy - Here's To You

Sure, much of the labels output was aimed squarely at the dancefloor but that shouldn't invalidate it in anyway!!

Someone should put on an event devoted to nothing but Philly and Salsoul releases - what a night to remember that would be!!

Cheers

Steve.

I cant think of any worser than 6/8 hours of Phily/Salsoul myself biggrin.gif

Social source share

DON'T FORGET,

LOVE COMMITEE - CHEATERS NEVER WIN.

FIRST CHOICE - SITTIN PRETTY.

FIRST CHOICE - CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU thumbsup.gif

ON GOLDMIND, BUT SALSOUL PRODUCTIONS.

BRI PINCH

If we're including Goldmind Salsoul productions, then my vote goes to Love Committee - Tired Of Being Your Fool.....pure class....thumbup.gif

Social source share

Still going strong in the eighties ...Heavy Vibes - Montana Sextet and Where's the Beef - The Chiefs remember buying as new releases from Jonathan's shop in the arcade as new releases, Heavy Vibes was a big tune at Rock City Friday nights, had it on uk virgin pretty sure it was salsoul US issue ?

Rob

The Chiefs is a Salsoul tune - Montana Sextet is on US Philly Sound Works tho'.....still a Vince Montana classic and almost a Salsoul tune :thumbsup:

Girf

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The Chiefs is a Salsoul tune - Montana Sextet is on US Philly Sound Works tho'.....still a Vince Montana classic and almost a Salsoul tune :thumbsup:

Girf

Ha ha - as usual I was close...but wrong !! :thumbup:

Social source share

Also a lesser known and brilliant track on 'Salsoul' was 'Salsoul Orchestra - Magic bird of fire'

Magic bird of fire

Check out this site for the full discography in pictures

Salsoul in pictures

Other top labels around the same time as Salsoul was big are

Prelude

Westend

Sam

All produced the more soulful style disco

This being one of my favorites of all time on 'Westend'

Shirley Lites

and one by 'Five Special' called 'Why leave us alone' on 'Prelude'. Can't find a clip for this one but well worth tracking down.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert