Jar-Val Records

John Reed

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry guys, maybe I should have been clearer.

Its not the sound quality I'm complaining about, but the quality of the wax. All the ones I've got have pit marks which on and some I've bought i've had to send back because the pit marks were so bad.

By the way, I'm not complaining about dealers selling these, just that the wax quality of Jar-Val releases is generally quite bad.

Social source share

The Jimmy Braswell copies all have some bubbles in the wax, at least all copies I came across. Some are that bad, that the needle jumps, some play "only" with some ticks. Fantastic label, indeed!

I'm not sure this is true of the entire pressing of the Jimmy Braswell. I remember mine being quite decent, though I'd have to look at it again. It sounds great in any event. I've seen poor pressing quality in a handful of Jar-Val releases, namely Nancy Butts "Letter Full of Tears", Joe Fossett (which is a much later release than the others), Ronnie Brown and the gospel 45s. However, I have quite a few others that are ok. It was a really small operation, so I think the quality is always going to be hit or miss. I've never paid much attention to any deadwax markings to determine which plants were used though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert