Butch In Japan Video

• Replies 46
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Check out this superb video from the 15th Anniversary all - nighter at Nude Restuarant in Japan , fantastic atmosphere and dancing , Northern Soul is obviously alive and well in the Land Of The Rising Sun .....Best,Eddie [ thanks to Wigantojapan for the tip off ]

Absolutley fantastic.

And as one of the posters says in response to the footage - "It reminds me of when the scene was young in the UK"

Social source share

Your so right.... the enthusiasm is to be admired.... yes.gif did you notice any chinstrokers.... g.gif LOL

Philly

No Philly , I didn't notice any chinstrokers ...they seemed to be just enjoying the music for what it is , with no politics etc , I mean whats all that about , if they aren't gonna take it seriously - it'll never last !!biggrin.gif .......Cheers Eddie

Social source share

I didn't notice any chinstrokers

Don't be fooled by the fact that they all dance and enjoy themslelves with style and buckets full of enthusiasm...they also avidly collect vinyl and have great taste and knowledge!

:thumbsup:

As Ady wrote it does make you feel young again...I even get that that feeling when attending their nighters! Most of the guys behind this (and the Manifesto Soul nights in Osaka) have lived in the UK often for one reason only...Northern Soul. Yes, some of them spent many months in the UK just to attend soul doos...and that is the case with the guy in dungarees. His name is Ryo and he is the main driving force behind that club...he even owns a pub in Kobe called, 'Bar Kenneth' named after Keb! Yes, some of them also fly over for the UK the weekenders (not a cheap thing to do) and you may have seen some of them winning the dance competitions?!

:thumbup:

Wanna see some more pics of Japan Soul nights of years gone by, I have a few pages dedicated too them on my website...have a look >>> HERE <<< :thumbsup:

Please note for the folk who may think NS is a flash in the pan in Japan...the Nude Restauarant Soul nights was celebrating its FIFTEENTH anniversary that night...15 years...how many UK Soul clubs can boast that?! Well worth a visit should you be lucky enough to visit these shores.

good.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Nice one bet butch was sweating with all them jumping around about six inches from the decks:laugh: thats how to enjoy yourselves:thumbup:

yes butch was pissed off with the 2 guys jumping around in front of him

to be fair it was 4am and it was the only 2 people on the night who didnt really have floor ettiquette

never nimd they were still totally enjoying themselves.

whats it all about and yes took me back to when i first went to all nighters:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Don't be fooled by the fact that they all dance and enjoy themslelves with style and buckets full of enthusiasm...they also avidly collect vinyl and have great taste and knowledge!

:chinstroke:

As Ady wrote it does make you feel young again...I even get that that feeling when attending their nighters! Most of the guys behind this (and the Manifesto Soul nights in Osaka) have lived in the UK often for one reason only...Northern Soul. Yes, some of them spent many months in the UK just to attend soul doos...and that is the case with the guy in dungarees. His name is Ryo and he is the main driving force behind that club...he even owns a pub in Kobe called, 'Bar Kenneth' named after Keb! Yes, some of them also fly over for the UK the weekenders (not a cheap thing to do) and you may have seen some of them winning the dance competitions?!

shades

Wanna see some more pics of Japan Soul nights of years gone by, I have a few pages dedicated too them on my website...have a look >>> HERE <<< thumbsup.gif

Please note for the folk who may think NS is a flash in the pan in Japan...the Nude Restauarant Soul nights was celebrating its FIFTEENTH anniversary that night...15 years...how many UK Soul clubs can boast that?! Well worth a visit should you be lucky enough to visit these shores.

:good:

confirm RYO (guy in the dungarees) top bloke.As soon as he saw me he came over and gave me a big soul handshake. and everyone there was so friendly.

I must have scared the editing man as i had my top off fairly rapidly as the place was dripping with sweat.

The manager of the pub even asked me if i was allright and offered me a glass of water when i eventually sat down for a breather.:thumbup:

Social source share

g.gif

shades.gif

Wanna see some more pics of Japan Soul nights of years gone by, I have a few pages dedicated too them on my website...have a look >>> HERE <<< thumbsup.gif

good.gif

Thanks for that Dave , was only joking about Chinstrokers , sure they take it just as seriously as we do in Blighty , and judging by the amount of Deep Soul CD's and LP's that I've purchased from Japan , there must be a serious market for Soul music over there .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Fantastic! Thanks for the posting Eddie. It never hurts to smile when your listening to Soul Music. The Guy in the dungarees singing to Marvin Gaye was priceless. I feel young all over again, Cheers, Ady

Glad you enjoyed it Ady , you ARE still young mate , not as young as me obviously , but still young LOLbiggrin.gif ......best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Superb!

It kinda takes ya back a good number of years. If not for nearly everone being Japanese this vid could have been very much UK early 70s

No substitute for the exuberance and enthusiasm of youth to generate that magic word EXCITEMENT wink.gif

Social source share

Thanks for that Eddie. Thoroughly enjoyed the vid however I did cringe when Butch kicked off with the Del Larks and some dancers were so close to the decks - lol I'm sure Butch is versatile enough in the Japanese language to contend with that situation laugh.gif

PS. I too would like to know what that alt version of cigarette ashes is all about.

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

Thanks for that Eddie. Thoroughly enjoyed the vid however I did cringe when Butch kicked off with the Del Larks and some dancers were so close to the decks - lol I'm sure Butch is versatile enough in the Japanese language to contend with that situation laugh.gif

PS. I too would like to know what that alt version of cigarette ashes is all about.

Cheers Steve , I've been told the Cigarette Ashes is a home made job mate , interesting tho ' .....Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest east rob

Nice one bet butch was sweating with all them jumping around about six inches from the deckslaugh.gif thats how to enjoy yourselvesthumbup.gif

i was thinking the same thing, good job he only plays carvers!!ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

Love the video, some great energy there... something strikes me though,

It must be strange closing your eyes to your favorite Northern sound, half pissed, you open them and your surrounded by young Japanese Dudes all with hats, dancing far far better then you ever could.. Obviously what it is to live in another country.. I must say I'd love to go to a Japanese Soul gig!!

Not much use in Butch saying lets be having ya!! eh.... what a response for Frank Wilson...

Mal.C.thumbup.gif

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Love the video, some great energy there... something strikes me though,

It must be strange closing your eyes to your favorite Northern sound, half pissed, you open them and your surrounded by young Japanese Dudes all with hats, dancing far far better then you ever could.. Obviously what it is to live in another country.. I must say I'd love to go to a Japanese Soul gig!!

Not much use in Butch saying lets be having ya!! eh.... what a response for Frank Wilson...

Mal.C.thumbup.gif

Being a bit of a pedant here, Mal but I think FW was just added as the sountrack for the opening few minutes of the video clip rather than being played. Might be wrong and it doesn't matter one bit anyway - still a fantastic response to all tracks played.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest ronaldis

Fantastic isn't it Gilly , any idea what that record is with the same backing as Cigarette Ashes is ? Best wishes ,Eddie

Anyone actually know what its called per chance, sounds great would'nt mind a download :)

The video itself is superb imo, the Japenese there probably had no clue about the words to the songs but they sure knew the beat, i am one of the people who placed a comment on there months ago, i have been to Japan with a previous compnay i worked for well over 18 years ago, its a shame it was not the last few years as iwould have loved it.

Social source share

Mal.C.thumbup.gif

Was going to try to be clever and put "Let's be having you!" into a English / Japanese translation site. For any global djs it's

\のにあなたを持っていていさせてください

Glad to be of help no.gif

Social source share

thanks for that! never heard butch playing "job-opening" before, so it seems to me he got the last one from the raresoulpeople´s auction for 4k... anyway, now i´m looking even more forward to the bamberg weekender in may and the hip city anniversary in july down there in germany :thumbup:

Edited by Andreas
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ronaldis

Heres Part 2 the guys in this video show as much passion for soul music as i have seen at most dayers/nighters. KTF Japan

Edited by ronaldis
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Little Les

Cheers Steve , I've been told the Cigarette Ashes is a home made job mate , interesting tho ' .....Best wishes ,Eddie

It's An Unreleased Jimmy Conwell If I Remember Correctly! It's Called 'Remember The Time'

Social source share

Guest Little Les

It's An Unreleased Jimmy Conwell If I Remember Correctly! It's Called 'Remember The Time'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert