• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest franky m

I have had single sided uk emidiscs by otis redding and wilson pickett that were never issued on uk 45,s , and were of no northern soul interest , and must have been made in the 60,s , they only had the song title on the label , so i guess they were made for Atlantic UK for a possible 45 release ? i know emidiscs are very easy to fake , but can anyone shed anymore light on UK motown emidiscs ?

Social source share

Every chance that they are legit in every way.

Both were released in the UK in March 65 and both are sequential TMG numbers in the UK Tamla Motown catalogue which was licensed by EMI (as in EMI-DISCS).

Both of these tracks will have been cut on EMIS as a matter of course.

TMG 506 is "All For You"

TMG 507 is "Ask The Lonely"

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for TMG 508 (Brenda Holloway - "When I'm Gone") :-)

The AB marked in Biro is A. B. Lincoln who was cutting Emidiscs at EMI in March 1965 and that signature and title text is exactly how he marked them

If they are fakes, they are very, very, good IMO.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

It still is an Emi Disc, so it's worth owt. I'm glad to see he did put a realistic start price on it.

Loved the "hand made" bit. I can imagine the guy with a really thin needle making the grooves while it spins in a turntable...

Social source share

I have had single sided uk emidiscs by otis redding and wilson pickett that were never issued on uk 45,s , and were of no northern soul interest , and must have been made in the 60,s , they only had the song title on the label , so i guess they were made for Atlantic UK for a possible 45 release ? i know emidiscs are very easy to fake , but can anyone shed anymore light on UK motown emidiscs ?

It's not a case of 'faking' an Emidisc - they are merely a brand of acetate available to anywhere who bought them to cut at the time - this could be a legit record company, a school language lab (where most of the machines were) or some dodgy b*stards in Carnforth.

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Every chance that they are legit in every way.

Both were released in the UK in March 65 and both are sequential TMG numbers in the UK Tamla Motown catalogue which was licensed by EMI (as in EMI-DISCS).

Both of these tracks will have been cut on EMIS as a matter of course.

TMG 506 is "All For You"

TMG 507 is "Ask The Lonely"

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for TMG 508 (Brenda Holloway - "When I'm Gone") :-)

The AB marked in Biro is A. B. Lincoln who was cutting Emidiscs at EMI in March 1965 and that signature and title text is exactly how he marked them

If they are fakes, they are very, very, good IMO.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Interesting item. There's a hole in my SOUL label collection where this should be. Never issued on S35009 All For You / Too Many Fish In The Sea. Before JM changed his website he had a price against a S35009 demo (but not available) of £1000. Never seen one . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anybodyg.gif

Social source share

Just out of intrest , what would a real EMI Recording co Accitate look like, assuming there is such a thing ?

These 'are' real EMI Recording Co Acetates.

EMI = EMIDISC.

I've attached a genuine and very rare and expensive Beatles EMI Acetate.

See the text? and the AB signature? It's the same.

Think some folk are confusing the extensive use of Emidisc laquers in the 70's to pirate 'Northern soul' records with these items, which by all accounts are authentic EMI /UK TMG acetates.

I'd pay £30 each for them any day of the week.

Sean

post-4120-12587180135396_thumb.jpg

Social source share

These 'are' real EMI Recording Co Acetates.

EMI = EMIDISC.

I've attached a genuine and very rare and expensive Beatles EMI Acetate.

See the text? and the AB signature? It's the same.

Think some folk are confusing the extensive use of Emidisc laquers in the 70's to pirate 'Northern soul' records with these items, which by all accounts are authentic EMI /UK TMG acetates.

I'd pay £30 each for them any day of the week.

Sean

Thanks for that intresting, watch the bids go on them now

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert