Northern Soul 70's Fashion

Guest sue77

Guest proudlove

I always thought it was illegal to put "Fashion, Northern, 1970s" in the same sentence. :unsure::Dlaugh.gif

don't know about illegal.........................but certainly an oxymoron.

Social source share

"Those who have adopted the baggy pants / vest look as being reminiscent of the era are making use of little more than a short lived snapshot in time."

true ... but it was my, and many others point in time ... lasted around 5 to 6 years as a main "look" drifting away over a 10 year span.... who would have thought then that "northern soul" would be around 40 years later anyway .. so "fashion " was bound to change ... however it is the only true "visual" and identifyable identity northern soul has had... like it or not ? we had our clothes tailor made and "spencers" were the off the peg versions ... and were frowned on at first....

As far as current venues go, long live those that are still pushing the boundaries as they are the ones that remain true to the spirit of what once was.

as for pushing the boundaries some of them have pushed so hard they have fallen off the edge lol :thumbsup: but hey, thats another story and discussion i guess :) ?

pete n' susan ktf x

Edited by casper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You say you are just "you" and you are not trying to dress like anyone from "back in the day" then there is no need to reply to my post as you would have felt that l was talking about some one else/others......dress however you like:thumbsup: ...to me the oldies crowd are not about the music........just about a moment in their youth that they like to relive......each to their own..........one other thought, maybe.....should a person be judged by how good/bad they dance. ie is that person dancing to say "look at me,look at how good l am" .....the person l admire is the one who dances to a tune however which way.........but from the love of the music........go to lifeline you,ll see some shit,but honest dancers doing it from the heart:thumbsup: atb peggy

Perhaps you were not talking about me, like i said before im a Rockabilly girl who likes my own look & has been into 60s rare Soul since the early 80s, :) , but i do like an oldies night & you were talking about my partner & alot of my good friends who are into the oldies & do like to dress in this way, some of these people have been into the music since the 70s, so how can you say that the oldies crowd are not about the music?????? :yes:

I would like to go to Lifeline, because i think i would really enjoy the music, but i just don't think i would be very welcome (because of the way i dress), the oldies crowd are very friendly & except folk for who they are :yes: ..................Here is a bit of an example, we went to another night that was not just oldies & a couple of Psychobilly's came in, i got talking to them, they told me that they really liked 60's Soul music, they were a really nice couple, but folk were coming up to me & saying, "What are they doing in here" & "look at them!"..................so what's that all about!.........................The only thing i can't stand is the snobbery :no: people should be excepted, no matter what they wear :yes:

The oldies crowd are always getting digs from certain folk on here.............i put some photo's on the gallery a few weeks back & some nasty woman had to make a rude comment :huh: , & just because folk dress the way they do, & im quite sure i am included in this, because i don't dress conventional (this is not directed at you Peggy).

As for the dancing....................i love all kinds of dancing, from all era's :yes: i like to do Ballroom/Latin/Lindy comp, so i just love to watch fantastic dancers, & the places i go to, i do see some fabulous dancers who are passionate about the music :thumbsup:

Debbie x

on the subject of friendly crowds.........they are most friendly at places like lifeline....of that you can be sure. In my experience of oldies crowds (obviously not all ) they have been very hostile when a dj plays a few 60's things that they don,t know....they've been up on stage demanding "play something we know "...."play some oldies big oldies". I,ve seen this happen on quite a few occasions.......upfront places play a fair amount of oldies usually underplayed gems ect which the punters accept and enjoy quite happily.....see ya at lifeline...peggy

Social source share

true ... but it was my, and many others point in time ... lasted around 5 to 6 years as a main "look" drifting away over a 10 year span.... who would have thought then that "northern soul" would be around 40 years later anyway .. so "fashion " was bound to change ... however it is the only true "visual" and identifyable identity northern soul has had... like it or not ? we had our clothes tailor made and "spencers" were the off the peg versions ... and were frowned on at first....

as for pushing the boundaries some of them have pushed so hard they have fallen off the edge lol :thumbsup: but hey, thats another story and discussion i guess :) ?

pete n' susan ktf x

May have lasted 6 years for some, but for me it lasted little longer than a year and had ceased by the time 'spencers' were available.

My memories between '73 and '76 were of a progressive scene. It was contemporary and it was ever changing. Those are the ideals that I still hold dear. I have no wish to hold onto a snapshot in time, and I spend far more time and money than I ought seeking out 'new' sounds.

I would guess that my own views are probably atypical, and I have no wish to try and influence anybody else. Enjoying what you do is what matters.

Peace and love.

Social source share

Martyn

It came to me in a flash yesterday - it was Melanie wasn't it?

Mick

:wub: Just found her pic on Johnny C's Facebook ............You doing the Re-union on the 30th ? Bring her along :thumbup::yes:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

May have lasted 6 years for some, but for me it lasted little longer than a year and had ceased by the time 'spencers' were available.

My memories between '73 and '76 were of a progressive scene. It was contemporary and it was ever changing. Those are the ideals that I still hold dear. I have no wish to hold onto a snapshot in time, and I spend far more time and money than I ought seeking out 'new' sounds.

I would guess that my own views are probably atypical, and I have no wish to try and influence anybody else. Enjoying what you do is what matters.

Peace and love.

great post. :D

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Still got me 70's gear for when I feel a spell of nostalgia comin' on

Oh yeah, nearly forgot ---

Right On Brother and Keep the Faith :D

clown-shoes.jpg

Social source share

:thumbsup: Just found her pic on Johnny C's Facebook ............You doing the Re-union on the 30th ? Bring her along :D:yes:

Martyn

Ah yes my old mucker Johnny Cockrill - he invited me to join but I don't do Facebook - too much sharing of personal information for my liking.....

About St Ives; I had planned to go but since discovering that its not an all nighter and that its £8.50 (& that's with the discount from the Cambridge Soul Collective) for just 6 hours (8pm to 2am) I've decided to go to Lifeline in Wolverhampton instead (£10 for 10 hours!).

BTW do we know each other? I only ask because we seem to have mutual aquaintences.

Mick

P.S. Apologies to others for going off thread

Social source share

Ricrac is not the trousers, but the white embroidered zigzag trim :huh:

Can we see a photo of you please! :lol:

Debbie x

So glad you pointed that out I may have lived the rest of my life in blissful ignorance of that fact............... as for the photo do you want to give me fashion tips I could probably use them.............must remember ricrac is not a trouser

Social source share

So glad you pointed that out I may have lived the rest of my life in blissful ignorance of that fact............... as for the photo do you want to give me fashion tips I could probably use them.............must remember ricrac is not a trouser

You learn something new everyday! :)

Now when your out with friends or family & you see someone wearing a zigzag trim, you can impress them & say, "that's Ricrac" :thumbsup:

Yes i would be happy to give you some fashion tip's or Gok you :lol:

This could be the start of a whole new thread! laugh.gif

Social source share

Sadly no photos, school mid seventies, barathea blazer,( four buttons on each sleeve), black comos with tassles, black tanktop, also striped coloured(hand knitted by mum),black parallel trousers( with turn ups), white ben sherman shirt,crombie with handkerchief in breast pocket and stud. Youth club,parka coat, white skinners,flemings heavy weights, ox blood dr martens, higher the eyes on the boot the better, red braces, red socks. Wigan days, barathea blazer, va va badge ( helped me get a job), parallels ,high waisted trousers. Mid eighties, burgundy brogues,(loakes). Shop wise, clobber in wigan, two tone trousers( green/red), patterned pear drop shirts.Ormskirk market for patterned shirts. I also had a v neck pullover bought for me, black, white lettering, northern soul.(mid - seventies).

Social source share

Had trousers made to measure at a tailors in the Corn Exchange in Leeds.

Not sure of his name now but he was on the old balcony area.

First pair were grey cord high-waisters with about 20 pockets. Loved them so much I cut the waist band down when high waist was going out of fashion.

Had at least 5 other pairs made by him including 40" bags in black and moving on to pegs in two tone.

Great bloke, just said "get material you want from the market and I'll make whatever you like."

I'd be interested to know if anyone else on SS went to him as he seemed to know all about the fashion of the soul scene mid-late 70's.

Social source share

You learn something new everyday! :ohmy:

Now when your out with friends or family & you see someone wearing a zigzag trim, you can impress them & say, "that's Ricrac" :g:

Yes i would be happy to give you some fashion tip's or Gok you :thumbsup:

This could be the start of a whole new thread! :thumbsup:

You two need to get a room :hypo::yes:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

penny round collars and tank tops...also prince of wales check parrallels fairisle jumpers stacked heel shoe;s (before platforms)..twin sets..i,e matching cardigan and jumpers high waisband bags with turnups..ruined a pair when someone dropped a cig in the turnups (rafters in manchester 1973)

Social source share

Try Paul Smith or Ted Baker :no:

"run of the mill" comercial drabble eh ha ha .. :yes: .. so when did you ask Paul Smith to make you suit ? lol ... you should see the cue for Paul Smiths factory sell off just round the corner from where i work .. now they are lemmings like yourself too ! ... some from where i work come out with carrier bags full and sell it to other clones on ebay ... as for the "quality" of the clothes he turns out nowerdays ? ... well ! :no:

Not knocking knocking Paul's early work as a tailor and designer .. Iv'e spoken to him in person several times , nice bloke .... but they are in my opinion very much high street comercial now ... they need to be i guess... thats where you step in with a few puny labels ... :D

all my suits are tailor made and individual ... so are susan's ... so don't come it ... :wave:

pete n' susan ..keeping it individual x the "baggies" brigade bite back lol

Social source share

"run of the mill" comercial drabble eh ha ha .. :yes: .. so when did you ask Paul Smith to make you suit ? lol ... you should see the cue for Paul Smiths factory sell off just round the corner from where i work .. now they are lemmings like yourself too ! ... some from where i work come out with carrier bags full and sell it to other clones on ebay ... as for the "quality" of the clothes he turns out nowerdays ? ... well ! :wave:

Not knocking knocking Paul's early work as a tailor and designer .. Iv'e spoken to him in person several times , nice bloke .... but they are in my opinion very much high street comercial now ... they need to be i guess... thats where you step in with a few puny labels ... :D

all my suits are tailor made and individual ... so are susan's ... so don't come it ... :no:

well put Pete thumbsup.gifhatsoff2.gifyou cannot beat made to measure clothes, you get what you want thenthumbsup.gif

Andy

Social source share

:yes: John Collier

John Collier, that takes me back :no: , me and my mate had a black suit made to measure there once. My mate wore it to a strip show one sunday afternoon, she ask him over to put some talc on her nips, when he got close enough she blow all the talc over his nice new suit, i almost wet myself laughing :D

Social source share

"run of the mill" comercial drabble eh ha ha .. :yes: .. so when did you ask Paul Smith to make you suit ? lol ... you should see the cue for Paul Smiths factory sell off just round the corner from where i work .. now they are lemmings like yourself too ! ... some from where i work come out with carrier bags full and sell it to other clones on ebay ... as for the "quality" of the clothes he turns out nowerdays ? ... well ! :lol:

Not knocking knocking Paul's early work as a tailor and designer .. Iv'e spoken to him in person several times , nice bloke .... but they are in my opinion very much high street comercial now ... they need to be i guess... thats where you step in with a few puny labels ... sleep3.gif

all my suits are tailor made and individual ... so are susan's ... so don't come it ... :ohmy:

Thank sweet baby Jesus for the voice of underground sartorial elegance. We all have so much to learn :lol:

Social source share

Paul Smith? Iconic casual Notts.Following a tradition in this area.Main Stand City Ground.?

Roxy Threads had its day,as did Birdcage.Things move on.

Wear what you like.

I'm still waiting to see Debbie as Betty Page.

btw,Flat caps are making a comeback.:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Paul Smith? Iconic casual Notts.Following a tradition in this area.Main Stand City Ground.?

Roxy Threads had its day,as did Birdcage.Things move on.

Wear what you like.

btw,Flat caps are making a comeback.:hatsoff2:

They sure are young Kevhatsoff2.gif

Noticed you were going a bit thin on toplaugh.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by BigPaul
Social source share

I have this photo,

i don't think i will put underwear ones on, but knowing Debbie, i bet she would not mind :lol:

Ian.

No need to go that far Ian.:rolleyes: .Anyone would think i'm a raging perv....:D .

Nice classy chassis though Ian......on the car..........:yes:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Eastbank Bootboy

Are any of these trousers Skinners?

I think they are probably the cheap copies that were around at the time. Genuine Skinners were paralell, even though they were quite wide. If worn properly, they looked good. Unfortuantely, none of those divs are wearing them properly. They also look as if they haven't been washed for a while.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest julie s

Northern and scooter scene mid seventies fashion shots.....note patchwork jeans,abundance of DM's (who ever wore platforms on the street),denim jackets,beer towels (worn on the parkas) and worn by soulies in belts, why???? (heard it was a northern working class thing), feather hair,red socks,badges (patches of northern soul clubs/northern scooter clubs),sheepskins and long leather jackets.Football scarves were popular.

the picture outside blackpool mecca my bro (phil morgan ) is the one sitting on the steps think the dj is tony jebb x

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!