Yet Another William Powell

Sheldonsoul

• Replies 68
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Personally I loved it from the moment I first heard it (Peterborough 83), long before I was aware of rarity etc - the 'hand made' quality of the recording/vocal adds to the 'realness' for me.

Given the simplicity of the label etc I would be very nervous of the fact that at the current price tag you could well afford to invest in matching the original perfectly with a counterfeit (don't know what matrices are on it - but even the most complex could be perfectly matched by a gravure die maker).

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

I agree... bland and lifeless.

I'll give em 5p, actually i would'nt

Ian

Sorry mate , pressed the wrong 'kin button , just got back from the pub !

But I think you are 3p out , crap record IMHO . how many good records

could you buy for the price of one of them ?

Cheers

Swifty thumbsup.gif

Social source share

yeh but with respects ted theres been 3 on e bay in the last 6 months are you sure there might not be moreg.gif

yes because up until those appeared the last time i had chance to buy it was in 1989 for 120 and i turned it down that still makes it a rare record dont it and why are you worried have you bought oneshades.gif

Social source share

yes because up until those appeared the last time i had chance to buy it was in 1989 for 120 and i turned it down that still makes it a rare record dont it and why are you worried have you bought oneshades.gif

thumbup.gif i feckin wish mate,nah im like the majority on here just curious about the scarcity of some of our scenes crown jewels

Social source share

If you read that guys auction, he found it while junk shopping that day and posted it straight up, he must have checked popsike because he put a high reserve on it.

You couldn't really ask for more in a northern dancer, come on, it's got everything.

totally agree and the record has already slagged off last time it was posted up about another for sale, the question here is how many copies is there not how good or bad the 45 is boysrolleyes.gif

Social source share

exactly the reason i posted it up, is it as rare as what its made out to be

I think i tried to ask last time for opinion on how many might be out there or if the rumours about some being found could be substantiated - perfectly valid to ask in my view - and was promptly shot down ...............:hypo:

Odd as the forum header included : A place for all soul fans into soul on vinyl. Vinyl facts, rumours, legends, selling, hunting, tips, questions, stories

be good to hear what people genuinely feel on numbers around and hence rarity, regardless of the personal taste on whether liked or not............ whistling.gif

Social source share

Not being funny but I just can't see how anyone who professes to be into Northern Soul can dismiss this record. Granted it's not one of my real favourites but for sheer dancefloor magnetism there are very few better records.

For me its certainly one of those atmostpheric sounds. I can still hear it being played at Bedford '82.

Pthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not being funny but I just can't see how anyone who professes to be into Northern Soul can dismiss this record. Granted it's not one of my real favourites but for sheer dancefloor magnetism there are very few better records.

How many copies do you think are around Pete ?

It may well be that even if its 20 - 100 ? it will still be rare and expensive just due to the high demand worldwide...............?

Social source share

How many copies do you think are around Pete ?

It may well be that even if its 20 - 100 ? it will still be rare and expensive just due to the high demand worldwide...............?

theres been 2 on e bay in the last month and 1 a few months ago, surely a 5 grand record wouldnt come up that oftenwhistling

Social source share

exactly the reason i posted it up, is it as rare as what its made out to be

Yes without a doudt its rare and I personally think its a pretty good tune as well.

What happens is when a record sells for big money everyone goes and starts hunting through there stock you see it time and again, a record sells for big money and out come a couple more.

I have owned or sold many rare tunes but have never even seen a WP in real life.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Social source share

theres been 2 on e bay in the last month and 1 a few months ago, surely a 5 grand record wouldnt come up that oftenwhistling.gif

Didn't the first two come from same source? that's what I was led to believe, and also he has a few???? Rumour or is there any truth in it? Whatever, it is still a very rare record.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I would agree with you Pete, it is a great Northern dancer but he can't sing, he makes George Lemmons sound good :D

Social source share

its a great record but would"nt be in my top 50 all time tunes

I agree, 'tis a good record, contains all the ingrediants that a "traditional" stomping northern soul record usually has. Has some classic bits, but i don't think the quality warrants the price tag of what? 4,5,6,7,thousand dollars. Especially when you have to think what other records you could buy with all that lolly.Now if we're talking about "real rarity".If it's available on LP Which costs a whole lot more to create, manufacture and distribute.Then doesn't it stand to reason that there were alot more 45's manufactured?

Social source share

Pete, each to their own....

It's bloody awful as a SOUL record, but obviously there's dance floor appeal.........

Though back on thread, I don't understand how it can still command a 5k price tag... no.gif

Social source share

I can't get the bit where you say he can't sing - where? Plus he made another single so he can't have been that bad - and was he a member of the O'jays (probably not but I thought I'd throw that in)

:D

.....bit of a looker as well ole Bill was......:D:D

They became known as "The Mighty O'Jays" due to their exciting , emotion-packed stage performances, led by the dynamic Levert, and the cool, multi-range vocals of Walter Williams, coupled with the matinee idol looks and smooth first tenor voice of William Powell.

Social source share

biggrin.gif

.....bit of a looker as well ole Bill was......biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

They became known as "The Mighty O'Jays" due to their exciting , emotion-packed stage performances, led by the dynamic Levert, and the cool, multi-range vocals of Walter Williams, coupled with the matinee idol looks and smooth first tenor voice of William Powell.

shock, wouldnt have had him down to be in a major group like that

Social source share

Yes without a doudt its rare and I personally think its a pretty good tune as well.

What happens is when a record sells for big money everyone goes and starts hunting through there stock you see it time and again, a record sells for big money and out come a couple more.

I have owned or sold many rare tunes but have never even seen a WP in real life.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Had my hands on Carl Fortnum's 7" (William Powell that is!) when he did a spot for us at 'The City' Peterborough - Carl says to me "Stick this on for me whilst I go for a p*ss" tossing the the record in the air over to me to catch.

I think its a great record.

Ray

Edited by Raym
Social source share

DON'T THINK IT'S THE SAME WILLIAM POWELL ANYWAY. THERE WAS A WILLIAM POWELL WITH THE O'JAYS IN THE LATE SIXTIES AND THE EARLY SEVENTIES, PROBABLY AT THE TIME WHEN HEARTACHE SOUVENIRS WAS RECORDED. HE LEFT IN 1975 AND WAS REPLACED BY SAM STRAIN AND DIED IN 1977. OH! AND IT'S STILL A SHIT RECORD :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH.

TOP OF THE STAIRS, BLAH BAR, BARNSLEY, SAT 28TH NOVEMBER.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT @ HORSE AND GROOM, 13TH DECEMBER, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

Always find it surprising when a few copies of a record turn up so it isn't rare anymore. Happened with Damon Fox some years ago. Never been able to work out how because there's 7 or 8 copies of a record it isn't rare. And how can anyone truly say what its worth. If your pricing it on rarety value then compared to the likes of Magnetics - Lady in green, Eddie Parker - I'm gone and Gwen Owens - Just say your wanted its cheap at $5000 as both of these records have sold for more than that and compared to William Powell there's loads of them. And making the statement "its not worth anything because I don't like it" is a bit ridiculous. Nobody likes every 'rare' record played on the scene. If value was calculated in this way every record would be worth nothing as there's always at least 1 person that dislikes a song.

And Wade Flemons-Jeanette $862!!!!! Compared to that William Powells a bargain

Edited by Ian J
Social source share

Always find it surprising when a few copies of a record turn up so it isn't rare anymore. Happened with Damon Fox some years ago. Never been able to work out how because there's 7 or 8 copies of a record it isn't rare. And how can anyone truly say what its worth. If your pricing it on rarety value then compared to the likes of Magnetics - Lady in green, Eddie Parker - I'm gone and Gwen Owens - Just say your wanted its cheap at $5000 as both of these records have sold for more than that and compared to William Powell there's loads of them. And making the statement "its not worth anything because I don't like it" is a bit ridiculous. Nobody likes every 'rare' record played on the scene. If value was calculated in this way every record would be worth nothing as there's always at least 1 person that dislikes a song.

And Wade Flemons-Jeanette $862!!!!! Compared to that William Powells a bargain

Hi ian, hope your well, we had this conversation at sixhills mate, very intresting too, the conclusion we came up with was demand over rarity wich like yourself has allways and allways will baffle meohmy.gifohmy.gif

Social source share

If it was a rare collectable stamp, one of only a dozen or so, we would be talking 100 times the amount.....and what exactly can you do with a rare stamp? :thumbsup:

So at 6 grand????

:ohmy:

Social source share

• 3 months later...

NOW THERES A FELLOW WHO COULD HAVE MORE THAN 1 COPYph34r.gif

DAVE

I just happened to notice this Elvis Presley record TODAY >>> LINK <<<

Mentions 25 Copies in the box in the 1950s and this one is a Mint Unplayed Copy.

1 Previously Auctioned in 2006

Doesn't actually make clear how many of the original 25 are left, and box not Included in sale.

2 Photos of the box in the listing & from the angle can't see contents.

However the bidding now over $8000 RESERVE NOT MET

Makes you wonder how many Potentially, are left to be Auctioned.

Doesn't appear to have put bidders off, but I suppose we are talking Elvis Presley.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Doesn't appear to have put bidders off, but I suppose we are talking Elvis Presley.

Which would be enough to put me off elvis.gifwhistling.gif

Got to say though it would be a complete twat that would pay that sort of wedge knowing there was another 24 to follow . Also , if I were buying I would wonder whether there was another 125 rather than 25

Social source share

as ive already stated, my personal number one and top want....yes it has a sparse backing and williams voices is a million miles from the best, perhaps thats why he's probably wrote more songs!, but its got electric quality on the dancefloor...only wish id witnessed richard playing it, tail-end of wigan...but did have the privilage to see it grace the dancefloor of the ritz "rarest of the rare" may day bank holiday all-nighter....as spun by mr. searling and, most recently twice in both rooms at the kings hall, courtesy of arthur fenn and ginger taylor and you wont see that often!!. have to agree with pete and ted...10 copies at most and most over here, been circulating except....for this one in the states...a little bird's told me he's been offered it ...never mind ebay,...perhaps i could be wrong or.....perhaps another one's turned up? who knows??

note: william powell must be a bit useful as he wrote another stormer for lela martin on melatone, "you cant have your cake" 100mph, produced by leon haywood...and as tim brown says.."wouldnt russ have loved to have that at wigan....too late!". life's too short to worry about a trifling 5k, if id got it id spend....no problem!

rob.h

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert