The Salt & Pepper Story

Dave Abbott

It was maybe over a year a go I first heard knowingly this 'out', courtesy of Butch at the 100 Club. I say 'out' because I had heard it, in the comfort of my own home on my PC. It didn't set anything on fire back home on the pc; but out loud in a club it all made sense. This is a fantastic bit of 'soul' that needs to be heard loud out to be fully appreciated or indeed at home, but not on pc, please.

Anyway, I tracked the band down not literally; the US would've been hard enough but thinking of going to Thailand would not have been top of the list for me or any one else!

I have been sitting on this info for a while now and as time marches on; it is unfair that this story (in words and pictures), very, very brief that it is, remains only in my hands...so

Salt & Pepper 'Man Of My Word'

I have been in contact with Steve Jarrell (saxophonist) of Salt & Pepper for a while...and...for starters 'Linda' was the plug side!...well over to him for the very short, but very interesting story...

Hey Dave,

Me again. Do you know the story of Salt & Pepper? We were all service guys based at Utapao Airfield, Thailand in 1969-70. The 6 piece group consisted of Ed Mobley, lead vocals, me (Steve Jarrell), lead vocals and sax, Tony Nardi, keyboards, Dan Sullivan, Bass, B.T. Bailey, drums and Jim Plummer, guitar.

We formed the group and played the service clubs and on weekends we played in Bangkok and Jack's American Star Bar and also at Charlie's Hideaway in Pattaya Beach, Thailand.

We recorded the songs that Ed had written and put them on Toni's custom label. We were the first Americans to ever record in Southeast Asia. The record became hit in Bangkok and received airplay on the Armed Forces Radio Network.

I still keep in touch with Tony. Tony keeps in touch with Ed. I have talked with Jim a couple of times. Dan Sullivan passed away a few years ago and B.T. is unheard from since the all left Thailand. It was a great experience. I will attach some photos of the group for you. Thanks again for your interest and please keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Steve

////////////

Hi Dave,

I looked in my basement and I was only able to come up with one copy of the Salt and Pepper 45. And, of course, I want to hang on to that one. I will look for more and if I can stumble across a couple, I will send you one. I am amazed that the record made it's way to England. I don't think we printed by about 500 copies. The year I think was 1969. The label was Tony's and we didn't have any distributor so I don't know how you guys heard it. I am truly amazed! Thanks for contacting me and stay in touch.

Are you into beach music? Not beach boys but Carolina Beach music. Check it out. Also go to youtube and type in Steve Jarrell and the Sons of the Beach and check out some of my other stuff. I'm still performing regularly.

All the best,

Steve

/////////////

P.S I will be sending Steve a link to this thread; please contact him about the record etc; but don't embarrass him or you by trying to buy his copy I already tried that and it didn't work ;-)

Salt__Pepper_1.jpg

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This is brilliant Dave, his surprise and delight that his band's music is remembered and respected here in England forty years later is really touching and for me one of the best reasons to try and track these artists down and let them know how much we appreciate the music they made. I really enjoyed reading this.

Social source share

You're lucky to have been able to make contact in the same way that the artists are lucky to have devoted fans such as yourself that appreciate and respect their work. I love these glimpses into moments in time that are brought about by those that experienced it. They bring the sounds to life. In fact, at the risk of sounding unintentionally corny, they give the recordings a soul.

I do hope that the guys get a sense of the appreciation, respect, and almost awe, that they inspire.

Social source share

A great read Dave!, I've had this on CD for quite a few years now not knowing this was so rare, it was only until Butch played it at the 100 Club that it rang a bell, a brilliant track inho,

Hope you are well mate :thumbup:

PS..Ferrari arrived today from Kev Roberts :D

Took his flaming time eh?

:wub:

Lenny

Social source share

That is so cool!

I often think about all the artists who are going about their daily business oblivious to the fact that there is a bunch of lunatics over here fanatical about their music.

I wish they could all know that it wasn't for nothing and that their talent is appreciated.

Good on you Dave!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Many thanks for the comments thumbsup.gif - Bob i have asked Steve the LA location question - and also sent Steve a link to this so that he can come on here and answer if he wants...

What a great discovery ! At first it sounds like your average 'tighten up' soundalike but then those incredible vocals!!! Great and fascinating story Dave, thanks for posting up.

The Alexandria LA connection must have been a bit of a red herring for many collectors looking in the wrong place, remember seeing this ad posted on Classifieds Site www.hoobly louisiana page a few months ago

"Looking for this old 45 record,

"salt & pepper-linda/a man of my word-heatwave records",i beleive the group are from "alexandria",if anyone can help please contact me at, Email Me Here

thanks."

Possibly just an interested local ! :thumbup:

Social source share

Nice one Dave, great to see genuine people like your self sharing information which i know you have been working hard on for some time. Its collectors such as you & i know there are many more out there beavering away, that give exposure & long over due recognition to some long lost & forgotten talents, this kinda thing is what the NS scene is all about & a very positive part of the real scene. Thanks for posting buddy.

Russ

Social source share

What a great discovery ! At first it sounds like your average 'tighten up' soundalike but then those incredible vocals!!! Great and fascinating story Dave, thanks for posting up.

The Alexandria LA connection must have been a bit of a red herring for many collectors looking in the wrong place, remember seeing this ad posted on Classifieds Site www.hoobly louisiana page a few months ago

"Looking for this old 45 record,

"salt & pepper-linda/a man of my word-heatwave records",i beleive the group are from "alexandria",if anyone can help please contact me at, Email Me Here

thanks."

Possibly just an interested local ! :thumbsup:

I don't think it's a red herring, I think the record was pressed there and I guess it's possible someone got a copy via the ad (though unlikely).

Social source share

I don't think it's a red herring, I think the record was pressed there and I guess it's possible someone got a copy via the ad (though unlikely).

Bob The record was pressed in Thailand Tony said he got the minimum qty pressed up that he could at the time which he thinks was only 250,they gave the 45s away at there gig`s to Gi`s and local Thai people who came to see them,so any copy`s found in the States must have been brought back by the Gi`s or the band,Tony lived in Louisiana at the time thats why he put that address on the label,but Tony was originaly from Chicago,i`ve been in touch with Tony for a long while now and he is well aware of the value of the "Salt & Pepper" 45 and knows that it is being played in Europe at the moment,also by seeing it on Ebay and on Tim Browns auction,Tony is still playing at local hotels ect around his area,they only cut the one 45,Tony`s other band was the Cheques" also on Heatwave,When Tony was here in the 80s he lived in Newmarket and done gigs at RAF Lakenheath.i`ll be speaking to Tony tommorow so i`ll point him in this direction :thumbsup:

Dave f..........

Edited by Dave Fleming
Social source share

Bob The record was pressed in Thailand Tony said he got the minimum qty pressed up that he could at the time which he thinks was only 250,they gave the 45s away at there gig`s to Gi`s and local Thai people who came to see them,so that any copy`s in the States must have been brought back with the Gi`s or the band,Tony was from Louisiana thats why he put the address on the label,i`ve been in touch with Tony for a long while now and he is well aware of the value of the "Salt & Pepper" 45 and knows that it is being played in Europe at the moment,also by seeing it on Ebay and on Tim Browns auction,Tony is still playing at local hotels ect around his area,they only cut the one 45,Tony`s other band was the Cheques" also on Heatwave,When Tony was here in the 80s he lived in Newmarket and done gigs at RAF Lakenheath.i`ll be speaking to Tony tommorow so i`ll point him in this direction :thumbsup:

Dave f..........

cool, thanks for the clarification!

Social source share

Bob The record was pressed in Thailand Tony said he got the minimum qty pressed up that he could at the time which he thinks was only 250,they gave the 45s away at there gig`s to Gi`s and local Thai people who came to see them,so any copy`s found in the States must have been brought back by the Gi`s or the band,Tony lived in Louisiana at the time thats why he put that address on the label,but Tony was originaly from Chicago,i`ve been in touch with Tony for a long while now and he is well aware of the value of the "Salt & Pepper" 45 and knows that it is being played in Europe at the moment,also by seeing it on Ebay and on Tim Browns auction,Tony is still playing at local hotels ect around his area,they only cut the one 45,Tony`s other band was the Cheques" also on Heatwave,When Tony was here in the 80s he lived in Newmarket and done gigs at RAF Lakenheath.i`ll be speaking to Tony tommorow so i`ll point him in this direction :thumbsup:

Dave f..........

can you ask him what the lineup of the cheques on heatwave was? Who were the vocalists on the salt and pepper 45? I'm trying to find out for the soul harmony singles book. Thanks a lot.

Social source share

can you ask him what the lineup of the cheques on heatwave was? Who were the vocalists on the salt and pepper 45? I'm trying to find out for the soul harmony singles book. Thanks a lot.

Well, seems as if I along the two Daves have been in contact with the band as well. I have so far interviewed all band members (one is not trackable and one sadly has already passed) and the stories they told me are so interesting that I already thought of putting it all togehter and writing one biography of the group and its members.

Would already have put everything together if work wouldn`t have been too intense the last couple of weeks as was the cold I catched in Italy...anyway, the singer by the way is one Eddie Mobley who still goes out on the road togehter with Tony. Steve Jarrell these days is a Radio discjockey and one driving force behind the beach music scene...more later thumbsup.gif

Social source share

can you ask him what the lineup of the cheques on heatwave was?

They were all dfferent to the Salt & Pepper line up except for Tony on the organ. Salt & Pepper split up once they went back to the States. Sadly Tony couldn`t remember all names of the cheques who also recorded for Volt and another of his own labels Big Stone.

Social source share

Nice one DaveF and Marc (somehow when Steve told me that since i had contacted him he had had recent German interest...i thought it was you!)

I have been back in contact with Steve, who has been in contact with Ed and they are overwhelmed - Steve will be on here soon, please see email copied below....(And there are mopre photos to come which he sent me this weekend)

//////////////////

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the story on this great site! I am still overwhelmed that this record is being heard again after all these years. I spoke with Ed Mobley this morning. He wrote "Man of My Word" and "Linda" and he is the lead vocal on both. He lives in Georgia now. He is as surprised as I am. Ed doesn't have an email address but wanted me to express his "Thanks" to all.

I registered with the site this morning but I am still being denied access to the forums so that I can answer some of the questions. Maybe I can get through after I am approved by the site admin.

Until then, please tell all the folks here that I am sincerely humbled by your interest. Please give my personal email to the members and I will be glad to reply to all. I look forward to making new friends with you wonderful people that keep this music alive! I wish that we had as much interest in our country. My email is 4jarrell@bellsouth.net and once again thanks to all!

Kindest Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

Nice one DaveF and Marc (somehow when Steve told me that since i had contacted him he had had recent German interest...i thought it was you!)

I have been back in contact with Steve, who has been in contact with Ed and they are overwhelmed - Steve will be on here soon, please see email copied below....(And there are mopre photos to come which he sent me this weekend)

//////////////////

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the story on this great site! I am still overwhelmed that this record is being heard again after all these years. I spoke with Ed Mobley this morning. He wrote "Man of My Word" and "Linda" and he is the lead vocal on both. He lives in Georgia now. He is as surprised as I am. Ed doesn't have an email address but wanted me to express his "Thanks" to all.

I registered with the site this morning but I am still being denied access to the forums so that I can answer some of the questions. Maybe I can get through after I am approved by the site admin.

Until then, please tell all the folks here that I am sincerely humbled by your interest. Please give my personal email to the members and I will be glad to reply to all. I look forward to making new friends with you wonderful people that keep this music alive! I wish that we had as much interest in our country. My email is 4jarrell@bellsouth.net and once again thanks to all!

Kindest Regards,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

steve

welcome to the site

you didnt reply to the validation email which meant that your account didn't show in the approval queue

approved it earlier today on reading your email

so should be go to post now thumbsup.gif

Social source share

They were all dfferent to the Salt & Pepper line up except for Tony on the organ. Salt & Pepper split up once they went back to the States. Sadly Tony couldn`t remember all names of the cheques who also recorded for Volt and another of his own labels Big Stone.

I don't know of a Cheques record on Volt or a Big Stone record. Can Steve or someone else fill in the details and list group and band membership of Salt and Pepper and the Cheques? The clippings are awesome, it would also be great to credit everybody in detail. I will email him if he doesn't reply here but I thought I would post publicly first. Thanks.

Social source share

I don't know of a Cheques record on Volt or a Big Stone record. Can Steve or someone else fill in the details and list group and band membership of Salt and Pepper and the Cheques? The clippings are awesome, it would also be great to credit everybody in detail. I will email him if he doesn't reply here but I thought I would post publicly first. Thanks.

The line up of Salt & Pepper -as already posted by Dave Abbott- included Eddie Mobley (Lead), Steve Jarrell (Lead and Sax), Tony Nardi (Organ, band founder, -leader and label owner), Dan Sullivan (Bass), BT Bailey ( Drums) and Jim Plummer (Guitar).

Tony also owned Big Stone Records. The record by the Cheques (his other group outfit that has no connection with S&P) is a fantastic Garage record. The flipside has a very nice "funky" instrumental. Tony told me that they also recorded for Volt but couldn`t remember the title or anything else. While we were having another conversation he said it could also well have been on some other Memphis and/or Volt-connected label.

Marc

Social source share

The line up of Salt & Pepper -as already posted by Dave Abbott- included Eddie Mobley (Lead), Steve Jarrell (Lead and Sax), Tony Nardi (Organ, band founder, -leader and label owner), Dan Sullivan (Bass), BT Bailey ( Drums) and Jim Plummer (Guitar).

Marc

So who's singing backup? Just the rest of the band members? Also, the clippings showed some Thai or other vocalists, were they just part of the show?

Social source share

So who's singing backup? Just the rest of the band members? Also, the clippings showed some Thai or other vocalists, were they just part of the show?

If you refer to the snippet out of "Bangkok Post" they next to Steve Jarrell show two other and totally unconnected acts, the String Brothers (Top) and one Rebecca Pan (Below). They seem to have just been other acts of Bangkok nightlife back then.

Social source share

The line up of Salt & Pepper -as already posted by Dave Abbott- included

Heya Marc - looks like we have pretty much the same phots - and thanks for putting names to mine -(for some reason i was struglling to name them let alone post them from another source). Just one name to add - the guy in the photo on his own is Jim Plummer - taken in a bungalo somewhere in Bangkok

A few more...

Steve Jarrell & Hank Ballard

Hank_Ballard__Steve_Jarrell.jpg

Steve Jarrell, Rufus & BB

Steve_Rufus__BB.jpg

Steve Jarrell, Otis &^ Clifford

Steve_with_Otis_and_Clifford.jpg

Social source share

Guest Steve Jarrell

Hi Friends,

It is a pleasure to be here! I was reading some of the posts. I sang background and played sax on the records. I can't remember if any of the other guys sang too. We did the old technique of "pinging" track to track back and forth. I am sure the machine was a 2 or 4 track recorded. The studio was Sri Kruong (sp) in Bangkok. I remember we had fun with the Thai engineer. We would move our mouths and not sing and he would start shaking wires like something was wrong with the equipment. We all got a big chuckle out of that.

The photo is Jim Plummer, guitarist, with a stuffed monkey. We had a bungolow off base and that was part of the decor, early ghetto.

Also, in the bottom picture is Clifford Curry, Otis Williams of the Charms and me.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. And yes, Marc Forrest in Germany is a good friend of mine.

All the best,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Heya Marc - looks like we have pretty much the same phots - and thanks for putting names to mine -(for some reason i was struglling to name them let alone post them from another source). Just one name to add - the guy in the photo on his own is Jim Plummer - taken in a bungalo somewhere in Bangkok

A few more...

Steve Jarrell & Hank Ballard

Hank_Ballard__Steve_Jarrell.jpg

Steve Jarrell, Rufus & BB

Steve_Rufus__BB.jpg

Steve Jarrell, Otis &^ Clifford

Steve_with_Otis_and_Clifford.jpg

Social source share

The Cheques never had a 45 on Volt it was Stax,but stax told Tony that they did not need his band as they would use there own in house band to do the music,Tony did not agree to there terms and had nothing more to do with the record after that,i`m not sure if it got issued or maybe just the promo stage?.

Tonys other label was "Boss Rock" this was the first 45 the "Cheques" put out,along with another two on Tonys other label "Heatwave"..........

Dave f..........

Social source share

Hi Friends,

It is a pleasure to be here! I was reading some of the posts. I sang background and played sax on the records. I can't remember if any of the other guys sang too. We did the old technique of "pinging" track to track back and forth. I am sure the machine was a 2 or 4 track recorded. The studio was Sri Kruong (sp) in Bangkok. I remember we had fun with the Thai engineer. We would move our mouths and not sing and he would start shaking wires like something was wrong with the equipment. We all got a big chuckle out of that.

The photo is Jim Plummer, guitarist, with a stuffed monkey. We had a bungolow off base and that was part of the decor, early ghetto.

Also, in the bottom picture is Clifford Curry, Otis Williams of the Charms and me.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. And yes, Marc Forrest in Germany is a good friend of mine.

All the best,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Hi Steve..........Glad to see you on here,great photos and info you have supplied,

Tony said you was the showman of the band with your slick routines :D ,

he also said it was you starting the rap on the intro to "Man of my word" :lol:

Dave f...........

Social source share

Are the Cheques on Hip "Sweet Sally Brown" the same group as the Cheques on Heatwave? I seem to recall that Hip was a Memphis label, possibly Stax-related.

Social source share

Hi Friends,

All the best,

Steve Jarrell

Salt & Pepper

Thanks for clarifying Steve.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!