I'll Cry Alone

Guest Baz

Monday morning and my brain still not working 100%, cant remember who done this....male vocal with a R&B edge, and a organ in the backing track

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thats the one, twas on the tip of my tongue.

Did a search on soulclub for I'll cry alone under track and nothing come up :ohmy:

Social source share

Errrrr, wasn't this done by Ruby and the Romantics on Kapp & Maxine Brown on Wand??

I recon Gale Garnett is a White singer and IMO not in the League of the others.. as for a male group version, never heard of one..

I did get this track By R & Romantics on Australian Release a month or so ago, which looks Damm good!!!

Mal.C. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest rachel

Errrrr, wasn't this done by Ruby and the Romantics on Kapp & Maxine Brown on Wand??

I recon Gale Garnett is a White singer and IMO not in the League of the others.. as for a male group version, never heard of one..

I did get this track By R & Romantics on Australian Release a month or so ago, which looks Damm good!!!

Mal.C.  :ohmy:

link

Different song than the one by Maxine Brown (not heard the Ruby & Romantics version). Think you're right that Gale Garnett is white but she has a good growl on her at times :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

From https://www.classicbands.com/

"Gale Zo« Garnett was born in Auckland, New Zealand, on July 17, 1942 and moved to Canada with her family when she was 11. She began her career as an actress, appearing in many stage productions and eventually moved on to numerous television shows, including Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, and Bonanza. She wrote songs as a hobby, but in 1963, RCA Records, impressed with her voice and songs, signed her to a recording contract.

In 1964, her debut album, "My Kind Of Folk Songs" spawned the single "We'll Sing In The Sunshine". The song went to Billboard's number 5 position and later earned a Grammy Award. Her next release however, didn't fare nearly as well, as "Lovin' Place" stalled at number 54.

By the late 60s, Garnett and her backing band, "Gentle Reign", had become influenced by the hippie counter-cultural movement, embracing psychedelia, singing about rainbows, magic wands, and other enchantments. Finding that she could no longer sell records, she retired from the music business in the early 70s.

Garnett resumed appearing in feature films and on television shows, usually in supporting roles. In subsequent years, she branched out into journalism, writing essays, columns and book reviews for newspapers including Toronto's Globe and Mail, Village Voice and Toronto Life magazine. Her first novel is titled "Visible Amazement" and she also wrote and performed two one-person theater pieces, "Gale Garnett & Company" and "Life After Latex". :rolleyes:

Social source share

From https://www.classicbands.com/

"Gale Zo« Garnett was born in Auckland, New Zealand, on July 17, 1942 and moved to Canada with her family when she was 11. She began her career as an actress, appearing in many stage productions and eventually moved on to numerous television shows, including Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, and Bonanza. She wrote songs as a hobby, but in 1963, RCA Records, impressed with her voice and songs, signed her to a recording contract.

In 1964, her debut album, "My Kind Of Folk Songs" spawned the single "We'll Sing In The Sunshine". The song went to Billboard's number 5 position and later earned a Grammy Award. Her next release however, didn't fare nearly as well, as "Lovin' Place" stalled at number 54.

By the late 60s, Garnett and her backing band, "Gentle Reign", had become influenced by the hippie counter-cultural movement, embracing psychedelia, singing about rainbows, magic wands, and other enchantments. Finding that she could no longer sell records, she retired from the music business in the early 70s.

Garnett resumed appearing in feature films and on television shows, usually in supporting roles. In subsequent years, she branched out into journalism, writing essays, columns and book reviews for newspapers including Toronto's Globe and Mail, Village Voice and Toronto Life magazine. Her first novel is titled "Visible Amazement" and she also wrote and performed two one-person theater pieces, "Gale Garnett & Company" and "Life After Latex". :thumbsup:

link

I knew that :rolleyes:

Social source share

Mal.C.  :rolleyes:

link

Ruby and the romantics is a fantastic sublime ballad on the B side of when your young and in love I have a beauty mint unplayed demo on Kapp K-615 and an issue completely....... different record

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Monday morning and my brain still not working 100%, cant remember who done this....male vocal with a R&B edge, and a organ in the backing track

link

I remember this being one of those that was either loved or hated - Gale Garnett, a big record for Mouse during the early Wilton years.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Wasn't Gale Garnett an Aussie ?? Think most of her other output was folky

I'd put her in the same bracket as Jackie De Shannon

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!